• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

Sweet.. Mind if I ask for some advice?

How many spells should I have in my deck?

Thats the one thing I can't figure out is The monster to spell ratio. Yu-Gi-Oh kind of trained me to their style of play.

Most decks are a 30 - 70 split

10 Spells and 20 Minions

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I won my tavern brawl with an Antonidas deck.

Acinixys

Sweet.. Mind if I ask for some advice?

How many spells should I have in my deck?

Thats the one thing I can't figure out is The monster to spell ratio. Yu-Gi-Oh kind of trained me to their style of play.

Most decks are a 30 - 70 split

10 Spells and 20 Minions

In regards to Brawl

Rockjaw Troggs are OP as hell

Enemy buffed one of mine up to a 15/5 in one turn
facepalm.gif

Lumine

I think I prefer this over last week. Unfortunately it's too short of a period to see some real deck tweaking. I do not understand why it's open for only 4 days anyway.
Also most people won't have much desire to play beyond their first win I imagine, despite the rules. Perhaps they should add some more rewards for getting more wins.
A better rule would be a combination of this week and last week's rules I think. Deck building but with the option to throw some insane cards in there you normally never could. I think this is already a step in the right direction though, so I'm keen to see what next week's rule is.

bjaelke

Most of these regular decks are just there for the free pack. I fully expect a more 'clear' picture of Tavern Brawl in the coming days.

Fixed1979

Played two games...ran up against two ladder face decks.

Where's the creativity guys?

I won both.

Battlenet ID is five6four3#1543 on NA if anyone wants to brawl.

This is my big disappointment. ..I made a super stupid all legendary deck to start and played two matches against face hunter and then mech mage. Gave up and made a pally deck that took advantage of the bananas and faced 1 fatigue rogue and 2 face hunters, at leat i won those...wish people were actually "playing" in this mode instead of going for a win. They need to have heavily modified rules where playing the standard decks don't make sense, limit card selection for deck creation (like arena) or just offer premade decks.

Willectro

Banned
I liked Brawl better with preset decks. It felt like a mode that people without big card collections could play and have fun with and at the same time earn gold towards their collections. This week's Brawl is just casual mode with a gimmick.

I doubt the intent of Tavern was to appeal to casuals; that's what adventure mode is for. It's a CCG, why would Blizz punish people for having a large collection. Either way, it's completely irrelevant as for the last 2 months (minimum) you could easily get to rank 3 and beyond using a deck worth less than 3k dust (maybe even sub 2k). It's a card game. You are going to have to pay or grind at some point.

Werd

jodF9EO.jpg

Brawl pack, hurrah. I already have 6300 dust and the vast majority of competitive legendary cards so I'll keep him around for now.

First golden legendary since I got Geddon as my 2nd legendary in Dec 2013.

Acinixys

Mill Rogue can go suck a fat dick

He though he would be cute by milling me and using BOTH his gang ups on my Dr

He conceded on 1HP cause he wasnt man enough to let me kill him

He had 8 cards left

lina1.gif

gutshot

Hmm, yeah I kinda don't find this particularly enjoyable. At least not even close to the fun I had last week. Got my 1 win on both servers, so gonna go do something else and maybe give it another shot later.

Even with a big collection, I loved the preset because it was in part outrageous and in part completely different. This week is just... bananas. Nothing to get really excited for imo. Just slightly different than the base game. I'd love to see deck building restrictions next week and something less obvious about what is and what is not going to work well.

My guess is deck building restrictions may not be used much if at all by Blizzard. I mean, anyone can limit deck building on there own when playing with friends or organizing their own tournament (i.e. Challengestone). I think Blizzard wants to make the Brawl's very unique so I expect more custom cards and buffs, maybe manipulation of turn times or mana limits, stuff like that.

This is my big disappointment. ..I made a super stupid all legendary deck to start and played two matches against face hunter and then mech mage. Gave up and made a pally deck that took advantage of the bananas and faced 1 fatigue rogue and 2 face hunters, at leat i won those...wish people were actually "playing" in this mode instead of going for a win. They need to have heavily modified rules where playing the standard decks don't make sense, limit card selection for deck creation (like arena) or just offer premade decks.

I don't understand your disappointment here. So you admittedly made a deck that didn't at all take advantage of this week's rules and then lost both of your games. You then made a deck that did take advantage of the bananas and won 3 games with it. Seems like it is working as intended to me.

decided to play mill rogue for lols in tavern brawl, immediately run into another mill rogue

proceeded to have the dumbest game of hearthstone of my life

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
decided to play mill rogue for lols in tavern brawl, immediately run into another mill rogue

proceeded to have the dumbest game of hearthstone of my life

Not gonna lie, first thing im gonna do after work is to play Mill Rogue.

jodF9EO.jpg

Brawl pack, hurrah.

I got a golden cho from my brawl pack too today. I didn't have regular cho but I will prob dust it. I'm missing roughly 10 legendary cards and none of them are cards I really want. Will eventually dust him when I want to make a golden card of something I like.

VoxPop

I got a golden cho from my brawl pack too today. I didn't have regular cho but I will prob dust it. I'm missing roughly 10 legendary cards and none of them are cards I really want. Will eventually dust him when I want to make a golden card of something I like.

image.php

obligatory

ZZMitch

BGH does work in this brawl because so many people stack all their bananas on one dude. Ive killed like 3 10ish attack Mana Wyrms in the last half hour :p

Also Mirror Images is hilariously awesome. Best card this week IMO, above Flakewaker.

Dahbomb

BGH does work in this brawl because so many people stack all their bananas on one dude. Ive killed like 3 10ish attack Mana Wyrms in the last half hour :p

Also Mirror Images is hilariously awesome. Best card this week IMO, above Flakewaker.
Mage has:

Flamewaker
Mana Wyrm
Mirror Image
Mad Scientist
Spell Bender
Sorceror's Apprentice
Antonidas

All of which are god tier in this Brawl.

Dahbomb

So would Combolock be good in this?

Just have a bunch of shitty Deathrattle minions for the opener and then have 2 Faceless + 2 Arcane Golem + Thaurissan + Power Overwhelmings. Getting Thaurissan to hit all those bananas and then hit insane damage with Arcane Golem could be nice.

Noxious CRUSHING it with Mana Addict Warrior in Brawl.

Fixed1979

I don't understand your disappointment here. So you admittedly made a deck that didn't at all take advantage of this week's rules and then lost both of your games. You then made a deck that did take advantage of the bananas and won 3 games with it. Seems like it is working as intended to me.

Let me expand...Firstly my deck was really not that good, perhaps I just played some shit opponents. Secondly, it's great that I won with my created deck but it would have been a more enjoyable experience had I not been playing against net decks for ladder play (even if that means loosing). After last week I kinda set myself up for a really unique experience each new Brawl, maybe that was an unreasonable expectation.

I'm hopeful that once the masses get their free pack we will see some more deck variations.

Sothpaw

Haven't played in about a year, doing my 100 wins in casual mode for the HOTS mount. The mech cards from cvg are owning me. P2W a bit? Or I guess play mode has always been that way.

Ladekabel

Played a brawl match, me as a Druid against a priest, opponent only got to inflict silence on my minions, I rushed him down, got my pack and now ignore tavern brawl for the rest of the week.

While it wasn't bad it wasn't anything spectacular either. I liked the idea of the first brawl better.

gutshot

Let me expand...Firstly my deck was really not that good, perhaps I just played some shit opponents. Secondly, it's great that I won with my created deck but it would have been a more enjoyable experience had I not been playing against net decks for ladder play (even if that means loosing). After last week I kinda set myself up for a really unique experience each new Brawl, maybe that was an unreasonable expectation.

I'm hopeful that once the masses get their free pack we will see some more deck variations.

Well, I don't think it should come as too much of a surprise that you'd see a lot of ladder decks in the first hour of a new Brawl. People are going to stick with what they know with maybe a few tech choices thrown in to take advantage of the bananas. You have to give the meta some time to develop. And yeah, those just looking for their free pack moving back to ladder will probably help too.

zoukka

Wow I see a new brawl, instantly realize sorcerers apprentice is op and proceed to crush my opponent (also a mage) with patience and a million bananas with flamewaker + apprentice.

I doubt I'll ever play it again... This mode is a disaster.

gutshot

Wow I see a new brawl, instantly realize sorcerers apprentice is op and proceed to crush my opponent (also a mage) with patience and a million bananas with flamewaker + apprentice.

I doubt I'll ever play it again... This mode is a disaster.

In what way is it a disaster?

Dahbomb

There is no incentive to play it beyond the first win.
This is a problem with every Brawl until they do something about it unfortunately.

This particular Brawl actually has a lot of cool stuff you can do with it but no one is going to bother because they will take their constructed decks into Brawl, win with it and then never play against. This is also why you are seeing the same Hunter/Zoolock/Mage stuff you see on Ladder because people want that first win before trying something new (I was guilty of this too).

I want to see Kripparrian use this Brawl in this weekend's Challengestone with some additional restrictions. Stuff like no 1 drops (so no Mirror Image), no minions with Deathrattle (so no Mad Scientists, Haunted Creepers) and no cards with random on them (so no Flamewaker). This would make for an interesting format for sure especially when you can't just win once with one deck.

I just made a typical Shockadin deck and threw Dr. Boom in there who won me both games. Exciting meta shake up!

I could see Mill decks being good here for once

Yeah, not a fan of this week's brawl. It doesn't change things up enough. There's no deterrent to just playing the same decks that are on ladder.

Blizzard made this to have fun with...unfortunately most people just want to win win win with face face face.

I've come across a couple of people with unique decks who want to have fun with the spirit of the brawl, but most just play constructed aggro/tempo.

gutshot

There is no incentive to play it beyond the first win.

Oh. Well I don't know if that qualifies it as being a disaster. What incentive is there to play casual? Or hell, what incentive is there even to play ranked? Arena is the only mode that has scaling rewards that actually incentivize you to do well.

Brawl is just an alternate way to do your dailies and/or grind for gold.

Dahbomb

Honestly I don't think Hunter is that good in this format.

It's really Mage at the top and then most other classes are just underneath it. Mage just has way too many cards that exploit this format to the maximum.

Still though I vastly prefer this week's to last weeks. Last week Brawl was figured out within 15 minutes of getting it (and was basically a coin flip simulator)... this week's Brawl will keep evolving over the next few days. I expect to find a lot more cheap stuff than Tempo Mage and Mana Addict Charge Warrior in the future. Even right now on Brawl I keep seeing more and more cards being introduced once people have gotten their packs are actually trying something different. So far I have seen the following cards be played that are usually uncommon:

Echoing Ooze (seems like a staple by now)
Cho (whenever a Rogue comes it will be in the deck)
Mana Addict
Dragon's Egg
Troggs
Goblin Sapper
Clockwork Giant
Spellbender
etc.

zoukka

Yeah I guess the mode is fun if you really made an effort to build a new deck, but as long as sorcs apprentice isn't banned it's easy to say what hero is op in this mode. For me it would help if they had some kind of progress in this mode. Just listing wins seems very lazy when they could have a path where you get small amounts of gold as you rack wins or maybe a special card back after a month or whatever!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man guys these are like the easiest packs ever, next to the spectator quest.

Quit yer bitchin'

Dahbomb

I think it would be cool if they had stuff like.

*Win once with every class in Brawl - Get 300 gold.
*Get 3 wins in a row without losing - Get 100 gold
*Get 20 wins - Get 2 packs

That kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom