• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Like look at Wrath... on one end it's a worse Darkbomb for 2 mana because it can't hit face. The other is a 2 mana Mortal Coil (a bit better than Coil but still priced higher).

With Wrath, you pay for the choice by not being able to hit face. With Starfall, you pay for the choice by not being able to hit face AND one more mana. If you made Starfall 4 mana, then its in line with how Wrath is costed.

But that's the whole point of Druid. They have worse spells individually but you are paying for the choice.

Like look at Wrath... on one end it's a worse Darkbomb for 2 mana because it can't hit face. The other is a 2 mana Mortal Coil (a bit better than Coil but still priced higher).

Wrath is more comparable to a Shiv that doesn't hit face because the minion doesn't have to die to get the card. The choice isn't worth the extra cost, though. If a card text reads "Choose between two options that are both weaker than other class counterparts and more expensive," then the card is pretty weak regardless of whether it was intended to be. I'd rather choose to not play that card or choose to play a different class than choose between two over-costed spell options. It's why Druid is kind of weak right now.

Dahbomb

Yeah Shiv is a better example but still you get the point. Both counterparts are weaker spells to their analogues but them coming in one package as a choice makes them fine.

I think Wrath is fine but Starfall is a bit underwhelming.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ this Rogue vs Zoolock match. Rogue gets damn near perfect starting hand.

Then Zoolock gets Malganis off of Bane of Doom.

Then Implosion hits for 4 on the Azure Drake.

AAAAAYYYYY YYYYYYYOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEE SSPORTS!!!!

Sande

Well that was enough RNG bullshit for today. I drafted a dream deck in arena, a very strong 12 win candidate. I get to 8-1. First a paladin steals my Ragnaros with MC Tech and then a warlock gets Illidan from Bane of Doom. Those were a little too strong swings even for this deck to handle.

I'm not too mad since an arena that pays for itself is always a win in my book, but that was still pretty frustrating.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO @ this Rogue vs Zoolock match. Rogue gets damn near perfect starting hand.

Then Zoolock gets Malganis off of Bane of Doom.

Then Implosion hits for 4 on the Azure Drake.

AAAAAYYYYY YYYYYYYOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEE SSPORTS!!!!

That RNG was brutal but Thisj misplayed by oiling up instead of sprint, why wouldn't you draw cards when your opponent's board is not that strong.

Dahbomb

That RNG was brutal but Thisj misplayed by oiling up instead of sprint, why wouldn't you draw cards when your opponent's board is not that strong.
In my experience the only way you win against Zoolock as Oil Rogue is if you just pressure them with high enough damage early on that they are scared to use Tap to refill their board.

He went for it by killing the Shredder expecting a 2 attack minion but when it popped up a 1 attack minion he got greedy with the value play. Otherwise he would've gone face with the SI7 like he probably intended to do.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
In my experience the only way you win against Zoolock as Oil Rogue is if you just pressure them with high enough damage early on that they are scared to use Tap to refill their board.

He went for it by killing the Shredder expecting a 2 attack minion but when it popped up a 1 attack minion he got greedy with the value play. Otherwise he would've gone face with the SI7 like he probably intended to do.

I totally agree that you have to be aggressive at some point in order to win vs zoo but you need cards for that, that seemed like a good turn to use prep sprint because warlock didn't have a big board. Since sprint costs you so much tempo it's better to do it as early as possible vs zoo, at least that what i would have done if i was thisj shoes.

fanboi

Banned
Me le freeze mage vs le mech rouge.

He get early advantage, me low Life.

He BM plays Old Shredder.

Me freeze em all plays doomsayer.

He passes, all dies.

Old Shredder summons Majordomo.

Next turn I get Antonidas, oh I also have one HP, and a ice block secret.

Kills Majordomo with frost elemental and freeze something, get fireball.

Ragnaros appears, he attacks, ice block.

I kill him.

Rosenskjold

I think I'm starting to reach the point where I'll get an average of 6-7 wins in arena, which means I can just play arena all the time :D! Just now took a 0-2 deck to 9-2, which I did not expect at all. By now I'm kinda bored with constructed, just feels like the same few matchups over and over, so I'd love to be able to play arena as much as I want to.

Down to 2 hp against face hunter

Thoughtsteal both Arcane Golems for lethal.

Just the best feeling.

That's just disgusting. I lost an arena game, with 2 losses already, from a priest topdecking thoughsteal and then gets my BGH, and I had just played crusher and had lethal.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Only person it could be imo. She got a makeover!

Just because she's wearing some kind of golden armor doesn't make her a Paladin. It doesn't even look like Paladin armor. Best I can tell is that it's some generic blood elf in some kind of ceremonial getup.

Fireblend

Banned
Just got the 300 gold reward for 100 games won... How in the world did I manage to play 100 games in the last week? Haha. I may be enjoying this game more than I thought :D

Now to rush my Rogue to level 20 so I can get in on the Tavern fun.

Just opened a king mukla. Seems like he'd work well in aggro decks, no?

Sure. I actually crafted him for tempo decks personally. I stopped using him because off curve he is fairly meh and sometimes they just use the bananas on your mukla and then BGH him lol.

I'm not saying he is the best or foolproof or anything, but yeah he works.

JesseZao

Just found out that spells can fizzle. Had a Knife Juggler out, used Mortal Coil, and the Knife from the spawn killed the target. Didn't even draw a card!

What was the minion? There was a [Hearthstone Science] video about this.

Basically, the minion that was killed by the juggle will rez at full hp (but it's invisible) and then be hit by the mortal coil. If the minion would be killed by the mortal coil at full hp, then you'll still get a card. Otherwise, you get nothing but the animation will still play for the coil.

Dahbomb

So we are at the point in which everyone on Brawl is Druid. HS tryhards suck.
I have been whooping Druids with Paladin all day long (I lost one where was Lore Walker Cho was involved though).

It's like 3 streamers said Druids are the best and they all flock to it. They barely even know how to play it well and it's not even by that long of a shot to make yourself main the class.

Really though what's actually OP in Tavern Brawl is the coin.

bunbun777

I started with druid this week because it was just too fun to coin, innervate, something, power of the wild on turn one. Priests seem to be the other popular choices. 30 spell decks are great thanks tavern brawl. Also had one priest play a mindgames. Never seen that 0/1 before lol.

Dahbomb

I think Priest is #3 on the list pretty sure. That's where it belongs power level wise as well.

Like who else can be ahead of Priest in this format aside from those two? I don't see that many Paladins online aside from myself.

f0lken

I've won 35+ and only lost 4 with Warlock, its removal is strong and with nice cost (Soul Syphoon, Bane of Doom, etc, even Shadow Bolt), I play with 8 minions: 2 Voidcallers, 2 Doomguards, 2 IGB, 1 Rag (whish it was Malganys), and 1 Kelthuzad.

Cipherr

I think Priest is #3 on the list pretty sure. That's where it belongs power level wise as well.

Like who else can be ahead of Priest in this format aside from those two? I don't see that many Paladins online aside from myself.

Warlocks. They are ahead of priests here clearly. Thens its probably Hunter then Priest possibly. But everything outside of the top 3 only makes up like 4% anyways. So I just found it odd he thought priest was common. Its not in this challenge in comparison to the classes above it. Especially not yesterday when the challenge was new.

inky

I did Paladin. Went 3-3 but it was enough for my quest. I found having a giant pretty convenient in a couple of scenarios.

Dahbomb

Warlocks. They are ahead of priests here clearly. Thens its probably Hunter then Priest possibly. But everything outside of the top 3 only makes up like 4% anyways. So I just found it odd he thought priest was common. Its not in this challenge in comparison to the classes above it. Especially not yesterday when the challenge was new.
I think Priest is really strong. Good removals, has buffs, has AOE clears, Shadow Madness and in the late game they are unstoppable because of Mind Control. They also have one of the only answers to Soul Forest combos in the game with Mass Dispel.

I still see quite a few Priests online and they give a lot of trouble.

Warlock and Hunter are strong too. So are Paladin and Rogue.

It's basically Druid at #1 by a margin, then Mage then a bunch of classes around the same range and then Warrior 2nd last and Shaman dead last. Would actually be decently balanced (more so than Constructed) if Druid wasn't so out of control.

Honestly the pure power ranking is kinda missing the point. You can have pretty fun and powerful games with most classes, the exceptions being Shaman and Warrior feel kinda weak.

Yeah, I've been having lots of fun with Paladin in the Brawl. Personally running a more spell heavy version of the Holy Wrath/Giants deck. Sea Giants are so free.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had a wacky ass priest mirror where I got Fel Reaver from Holy Nova and lost basically every card. While in fatigue I was able to mind control a sylvanas and bring him to 3 hp, while I was at 22.

After that I was basically out of cards even in hand but still had a decent ish board if he couldn't stop everything. He did Mind Blast, Mind Blast, Mind Blast, Mind Blast. He thoughtstole my own mindblasts and even got a damned Thalnos from the first one which actually killed me.

ViviOggi

So we are at the point in which everyone on Brawl is Druid. HS tryhards suck.
What do you expect when Blizzard gives one fucking deckslot (fucking is direct at Blizz not you)

Also this is the only time where all these trash tier Druid spells are useful and fun for once

And I mean like that's how the mode works, the majority is gonna go with the decks identified as the strongest. If you want to show deck building skills you gotta counter that meta, which appears possible with multiple posters saying they've been slaying Druids with other classes.

Biochet

uKoNxwL.jpg

◕ ◡ ◕

Dahbomb

What do you expect when Blizzard gives one fucking deckslot (fucking is direct at Blizz not you)

Also this is the only time where all these trash tier Druid spells are useful and fun for once

And I mean like that's how the mode works, the majority is gonna go with the decks identified as the strongest. If you want to show deck building skills you gotta counter that meta, which appears possible with multiple posters saying they've been slaying Druids with other classes.
It's "possible" but Druid is still far away the best class and when they get the god draws they are impossible to beat. The ramp and card draw is too much in addition to their buff cards and deathrattle activator. They always have a board, they have removal that draw them cards and on top of that if their board sticks for more than two turns they just kill you with the same old SR + FoN combo you see in Constructed.

Druid can be beaten if they don't get to go second and they get crap minions from their spells and the other guy gets better RNG. The mode is still heavily reliant on RNG so you can be favored on RNG if the Druid keeps getting Doomsayers.

And yeah having one deck slot is fucking stupid. Also they should probably do it like Arena where when you enter you have to chose among 3 random classes and then play until you lose 3 times or something.

Like imagine if in Arena you could play whatever class you wanted... everyone would basically only play Mage in Arena just like everyone is playing Druids in Brawl.

ViviOggi

It's "possible" but Druid is still far away the best class and when they get the god draws they are impossible to beat. The ramp and card draw is too much in addition to their buff cards and deathrattle activator. They always have a board, they have removal that draw them cards and on top of that if their board sticks for more than two turns they just kill you with the same old SR + FoN combo you see in Constructed.

Druid can be beaten if they don't get to go second and they get crap minions from their spells and the other guy gets better RNG. The mode is still heavily reliant on RNG so you can be favored on RNG if the Druid keeps getting Doomsayers.

And yeah having one deck slot is fucking stupid. Also they should probably do it like Arena where when you enter you have to chose among 3 random classes and then play until you lose 3 times or something.

Like imagine if in Arena you could play whatever class you wanted... everyone would basically only play Mage in Arena just like everyone is playing Druids in Brawl.
Basically my point is that if you want to blame someone it shouldn't be "tryhards" but Blizzard for making imbalanced challenges and ridiculous design decisions (deck slots)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The deck slot thing is so totally asinine. It even ruins so much of the goofball potential the mode has just playing with friends since you're locked into playing the same deck repeatedly and once you want to switch you need to ask them to wait while you trash the deck and build a new one from scratch.

Even if Druid is super powerful this brawl is still a hell of a lot of fun though. It's really messing with mechanics and the general hearthstone sandbox as you see all these minions interact, and the games tend to go on longer unless you see some druid god draw causing board floor into savage roar. I've played a solid amount of Priest and pretty much always get it to the lategame when Mind Control is a huge threat. Compared to the last few which just somehow made aggro even more annoying, this is great.

Haunted

Something you want to say there? Like the top 90% of players in this brawl are Mages and Druids by far. Priest is maybe 5th or 6th on that list.
I was half joking with that response (we're all friends here), but I'd consider priest in the top 3 for this brawl and saw more priests than any other class while I was dabbling in it.

Special C

Its interesting how the timing of the minion spawning first makes some spells much better (Power of the Wild) and some spells much worse (Hellfire).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom