• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Anyone watching this Geico-sponsored Challengestone rip-off? The deck rules are really convoluted.
I just read the rules and WTF @ all the math involved.

Rules:

Rule 1. All cards must contain at least TWO instances of the factors of 15(1,3, 5, 15). These numbers can appear in the Mana Cost, Attack, HP, Durability, or text of the card.

TLDR: All cards must have a combination of 1, 3, 5, or 15 twice on the card.

References to (1/1 minions) do not count as two separate instances. For example, you cannot put Dr. Boom into your deck even though he spawns 1/1 Boom Bots. However, Haunted Creeper is eligible because he has 1 attack in addition to spawning (1/1 tokens).
That these rules apply only when adding cards to your deck, disregarding the various discounts that are available in Hearthstone(Preparation, Emperor, Giant discounts). As long cards can be added into your deck based on these rules, they can be played in the game.
The number “50” does not count as an instance of 5.
The words “a” or “an” do not count as 1. The number “1” must be in the text of the card for it to count.

It's not that complicated until you start including Deathrattles like that.

Seems like Shaman would be pretty strong in this because most of their cards are legal.

Haunted

I just read the rules and WTF @ all the math involved.

Rules:

Rule 1. All cards must contain at least TWO instances of the factors of 15(1,3, 5, 15). These numbers can appear in the Mana Cost, Attack, HP, Durability, or text of the card.

TLDR: All cards must have a combination of 1, 3, 5, or 15 twice on the card.

References to (1/1 minions) do not count as two separate instances. For example, you cannot put Dr. Boom into your deck even though he spawns 1/1 Boom Bots. However, Haunted Creeper is eligible because he has 1 attack in addition to spawning (1/1 tokens).
That these rules apply only when adding cards to your deck, disregarding the various discounts that are available in Hearthstone(Preparation, Emperor, Giant discounts). As long cards can be added into your deck based on these rules, they can be played in the game.
The words “a” or “an” do not count as 1. The number “1” must be in the text of the card for it to count.
giphy.gif

JesseZao

That's the strangest one. Besides the number 50 not being on a card, if they just didn't want people to get "double" value from a number, they should use one that actually exists, like 15 on Alexstraza or Noz. So 15 would give "15", but not "1" and "5". ( I think is what they're going for)

Dahbomb

That's the strangest one. Besides the number 50 not being on a card, if they just didn't want people to get "double" value from a number, they should use one that actually exists, like 15 on Alexstraza or Noz. So 15 would give "15", but not "1" and "5". ( I think is what they're going for)
Should've used 10 instead which is actually used in a few cards.

Sande

Unusually frustrating day in arena today. First my "12 win" paladin deck got shot down at 6 wins and then I went 3-3 and 4-3 with warlock and mage with pretty good decks. Almost every game I'm slowly getting more and more ahead with good trading etc but then the opponent starts dropping some insane cards every turn or I get screwed over by RNG.

Special shout out to the warrior who won a 1v3 brawl and all the shamans who have 5 fire elementals and fireguard destroyers in their decks. I'm adding "shamans always have fire elemental(s) in hand" to my book of undisputed facts next to "everyone always has an MC tech that will take your best minion".

Pooya

Lost two games today exactly the same to warriors, I expected patron warrior and but it was raging worgen instead, this shit is back I guess :\

I'm teaching someone to play hearthstone who has never played a card game before.
laugh.gif

He seems to be learning pretty well but I'm trying to avoid overloading him with information. I'm not even sure if he likes it or not.

Danj

Whoops......Anyway if you ask me there's really shouldn't be able any obstacles to spectating a friend from another region, seems dumb to me.

Well, they're separate servers, so I can see how it might be an issue. Anyway I'll add you and we can see if it works.

Dahbomb

Top 5 worst designed cards in Hearthstone:

Implosion
Animal Companion
Lightning Storm
Crackle
Mad Scientist

I had a few other cards in my mind but they were more just really shitty cards as opposed to badly designed cards like Hemet.

Lightning Storm IMO is AT LEAST as bad as Crackle if not worse than Crackle. You aren't rolling 2-3 damage across the board but rather you are rolling 2-3 damage individually on enemies which is just another layer of RNG that card does not need. Overload + huge swing RNG mechanics are just an awful combination.

It's just surprising that Mad Scientist has survived this long. Mad Scientist basically ensures that neither Hunter nor Mage can't get ridiculous new spells because they would become too powerful. It also makes it so that if they plan to give another class spells they can't give some class a 4 or a 5 cost secret... that would just be mind numbingly broken.

Implosion we have talked about so many times on this thread that I don't think we really need to cover how awful this card is.

Honorable mention: Tinkmaster Overspark

Dahbomb

awful for the player it is being used against,you mean
It's awful for both.

It's bad when you use it and get two tokens and two damage.

It's fucking devastating for the other player when it hits for 4 damage and spawns 4 tokens.

It's too high of a variance in power level based on RNG with an immediate board impact. It's synergy with Knife Juggler (another high impact RNG) makes this card absolutely abhorrent.

Sande

I think Mad Scientist is pretty cool as a concept. It's just quite a bit too strong.

Every card that has a lot of RNG for no reason (looking at you, shaman) is garbage design.

ViviOggi

The fact Implosion got approved in this form just boggles the mind

Like okay you want to make as many factors as possible depend on rng for le epic player stories, we get it Blizz. But how in the fuck do you give it such frankly outrageous swing potential instead of taking the infinitely more sensible route of having the two factors balance out each other

Low damage roll should give more imps and vice versa

Like how is this not the immediately obvious design goal, card would still be stupid annoying which seems to be Zoo's intended theme but at least you'd retain a modicum of fairness

x Misogi

Nvm. Replied to a super old post.

Sidenote: Druid was insanely OP for that Tavern Brawl. I don't think I lost once using it.

Priest was really good too.

bjaelke

I wasn't trying to start a discussion. Crackle lost me 3 consecutive arena games this morning. The difference between lightning bolt and fireball is massive. At least in theory. I never managed to roll anything that resembled the latter.

I'm partly at fault for drafting 4 of them.

Tacitus_

I almost got rekt with my godly mage deck by a hunter that had two doggies and two wolfriders. I knew he had an explosive up so I tried to play around it but he just kept getting those chargers and removals to keep my minions at 2 and his board empty. By the lategame he transitioned to
while I had 2 sheeps sitting in my hand and praying for a fireball.

The final turn I had 1 hp left and he had a trap up. Didn't draw either of my remaining fireballs so I had to proc the trap and luckily it wasn't a 2nd explosive but freezing.

Jakku

The fact Implosion got approved in this form just boggles the mind

Like okay you want to make as many factors as possible depend on rng for le epic player stories, we get it Blizz.

I prefer the form of RNG like the new Bane of Doom. There's nothing exciting about rolling a higher bullshit number like with crackle or implosion, implosion especially being overwhelming nuts if you roll a 4, but randomly getting something like Illidan is fun.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mad scientist isn't poorly designed. It is just too cheap for what it does.

Ultrabum

Someone show me a good list that runs secrets without mad scientist.

Edit: there's nothing wrong with the secret mechanic, it's fun to play around stuff. But seriously the card is still good at 3 mana, op at 2, and it's not even a class card.

ViviOggi

I wasn't trying to start a discussion. Crackle lost me 3 consecutive arena games this morning. The difference between lightning bolt and fireball is massive. At least in theory. I never managed to roll anything that resembled the latter.

I'm partly at fault for drafting 4 of them.
I mean Crackle is up there for sure but Shaman as a class is so beyond saving that no one really cares at this point
I prefer the form of RNG like the new Bane of Doom. There's nothing exciting about rolling a higher bullshit number like with crackle or implosion, implosion especially being overwhelming nuts if you roll a 4, but randomly getting something like Illidan is fun.
I'd agree if it wasn't for the Malganis rolls, but yes all things considered it's one of the more acceptable ways to do rng.
Mad scientist is the worst card.

"Our entire secrets mechanic is terrible"

Let's make a card so op people play secrets!
Seriously lol

Jakku

Someone show me a good list that runs secrets without mad scientist.

Does it matter what class? Pretty much every secret deck runs mad scientist now, but pre Nax I had a lot of fun with the Mage deck that played Ethereal Arcanist and Kirin Tor Mage instead.

zoukka

Secrets are pretty clunky by themselves especially for mage (3 mana) so a 2 mana card that spawns a three mana card in play is op as fuck and enables those secrets to be played.

ViviOggi

FUCK EMPEROR IN FREEZE MAGE

Get killed from fucking TWENTY-FIVE HEALTH (2-fucking-5) on turn NINE after I killed that piece of shit immediately while simultaneously popping the block AND keeping a 9 damage board, fucking unreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom