• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

He's testing an all in control Priest. Double Entombs, all the board clears, double Cabal, double Holy Fire. Basically testing the two new Priest cards so he can make "how good is" videos,

It is doing pretty well too. Like he said earlier, summoning stone would seem to make it even better, but that isn't what he is testing today.

I'm going to try it with the stone and confessor.

JohnCYQ

No but they could to completely fuck the deck over.

I haven't seen one myself yet, but if it gets popular that is the easy option.

Between 2 musters, 5 secrets, 1 divine favor, 2 BoKs and 1 consecration, there will be plenty of ways for my secrets murloc pally to neutralize that "easy counter".

The combo murloc midrange pally lists on reddit still run 2 muster, 1 solemn virgil, 2 consecration, 2 hammer of wraths and 1 lay on hands. They also run double Anyfin.

Unless you plan on playing double counterspells without scientists and are able to draw + play them right before the Anyfin turn, I have bad news for you...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just curious, how'd you get the third Bluegill Warrior in there?

Redemption on a Bluegill on turn 3, so technically 3 had died that game. Actually got a bit lucky, if I had pulled the second Grimscale instead of a Bluegil or Murkeye, I would have likely lost. If my math is right, it was a 1/4 chance of getting all the chargers from Anyfin.

This is currently the deck I'm trying with it, but I'm not sure its good enough for higher ranks. Plus, its usually slow, making it poor for ladder:
MysterMurlock.jpg

bjaelke

Priest got me with Thought Steal -> Anyfin Can Happen. Unleashed 22 damage of self inflicted pain upon me. It serves me right for playing Paladin...

He's testing an all in control Priest. Double Entombs, all the board clears, double Cabal, double Holy Fire. Basically testing the two new Priest cards so he can make "how good is" videos,

I think it is a bad idea to test out the strength of a card in a bad deck. The matches I saw he won because rank 15 moron plays. This druid had 3-4 minions on board with twice over lethal and yet he played 2-3 more minions and even chose to cat form instead of bear form. And then the druid still almost won despite lightbomb taking out 6 minions.

Then you got this priest playing NSC against another priest late game... gotta be kidding me. This is why you don't rely on "tests" at low rank. Players really make so many mistakes, even kripp.

Tarazet

That's another thing, I haven't been at rank 19 or below in almost a year, lol. Funny how half or more of the cards straight up disappear.

My F2P account tops out around 18-17, and that's only because I have enough experience with the game to understand the decks I'm playing against. (I never push ladder hard.. I prefer to be in the teens where I can get dailies done more easily.) You really are pretty fucked as a new player.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My F2P account tops out around 18-17, and that's only because I have enough experience with the game to understand the decks I'm playing against. (I never push ladder hard.. I prefer to be in the teens where I can get dailies done more easily.) You really are pretty fucked as a new player.

Odd, I feel a F2P account should be able to get to rank 15 pretty easily if they know what they are doing. Maybe I'm underestimating how much the lack of Adventures and dust will matter. Actually, I guess that lack of Nax would be huge, looking at the "cheap" decks I have, most of them use Nax stuff pretty heavily.

Odd, I feel a F2P account should be able to get to rank 15 pretty easily if they know what they are doing. Maybe I'm underestimating how much the lack of Adventures and dust will matter. Actually, I guess that lack of Nax would be huge, looking at the "cheap" decks I have, most of them use Nax stuff pretty heavily.

Depends what deck it is and how "f2p" it actually is. I see people saying both f2p as just basics and f2p as no money being spent.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do wonder when/if Nax will ever get discounted or made free. Give those cards to new players, and they will have some seriously good stuff.

I got to 10 on my f2p account but i did it at the end of the month. That account can't compete at all the first 15 days of the month.

I do wonder when/if Nax will ever get discounted or made free. Give those cards to new players, and they will have some seriously good stuff.

Naxx didn't even go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and every other Blizzard game had a sale. No idea what their thought process is there.

Xanathus

Naxx didn't even go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and every other Blizzard game had a sale. No idea what their thought process is there.

The thought process is that they like money and have absolutely zero financial reason to discount anything in Hearthstone right now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Brought out my old Mech Mage deck and replaced my old tech cards with Gorillabots. It actually works pretty well. Got a Blingtron last game to give me a weapon to get lethal. Got Enhanc-o mechano one game which ended up giving everything windfury. Grabbed Flame Leviathan one game, enemy Priest Entombed it and then drew it.

I do love Discover, and its usually not to hard to have a mech to proc the Gorrillabot. I wish it wasn't conditional, but then it would be OP with its stats.

bjaelke

Rather than a sale they should go ahead and release a starter bundle for new players containing something like:

10 normal packs
10 GvG packs
10 TGT packs
1st wing of NAX
1st wing of BRM

Not that Blizzard has made any indication that they would do either in the near future. They seem more interested in making mechanical and structural changes to ease new players in to the game.

Not that Blizzard has made any indication that they would do either in the near future. They seem more interested in making mechanical and structural changes to ease new players in to the game.

That would be fine if the ladder wasn't so brutal to new players, which it still is.

Dahbomb

Aggro has always been in HS since the beginning. Just because Patron was the best it didn't deter people from bringing out the Hunters and the Eboladins or the various Mech decks.

Lyng

That part of the structural change they've discussed. Separate ladders for new players.

That sounds like awful change. No need to seperate ladders, just change the way it works, as in not beeing a freaking grind and instead each rank you need to win a certain amount of games out of a set amount. If you loose x amount you drop down a rank. This way the best players will end up in legendary. And the f2p players will slowly be able to rank up.
And if you manage to win x amount of games you get your card back.

Lyng

just feels more cancerous now. just now lost to anyfin doing like 40 dmg in one turn

Yeah Anyfin is insane. Then again would not be Hearthstone if Paladin didnt get to have the best of the best. Best Arena class, The 2 top decks and even the best murloc cards.

Thank you Ben Brode for clearly showing you dont have a clue.

uhhh.... did he rush you down in the turns before he cast the anyfin? I'm seeing anyfin used in a combo capacity a lot but not in aggro decks so much.

no it was like a midrange pally with anyfin as the ender. I was playing control priest. The first anyfin wasnt a problem but obviously that just feeds into the 2nd one, so i got wrecked.

The aggro bs i was talking about was the new shaman nonsense

Between 2 musters, 5 secrets, 1 divine favor, 2 BoKs and 1 consecration, there will be plenty of ways for my secrets murloc pally to neutralize that "easy counter".

The combo murloc midrange pally lists on reddit still run 2 muster, 1 solemn virgil, 2 consecration, 2 hammer of wraths and 1 lay on hands. They also run double Anyfin.

Unless you plan on playing double counterspells without scientists and are able to draw + play them right before the Anyfin turn, I have bad news for you...

So murlocs beat freeze mage now? I'm not seeing it.

bjaelke

That sounds like awful change. No need to seperate ladders, just change the way it works, as in not beeing a freaking grind and instead each rank you need to win a certain amount of games out of a set amount. If you loose x amount you drop down a rank. This way the best players will end up in legendary. And the f2p players will slowly be able to rank up.
And if you manage to win x amount of games you get your card back.

I absolutely agree with you on that one which I why I'm more supportive of the ranked tiers similar to the legend rank. When you reach a checkpoint (e.g. rank 5, 10, 15) you'll be unable to drop down below. Preferably they'll try to rework the entire rank system and come up with something that's actually enjoyable.

jgminto

Damn, Anyfin Can Happen is actually a pretty scary card. If you haven't been controlling the game beforehand you will probably lose. Luckily I had exact lethal after he played it.

JohnCYQ

So murlocs beat freeze mage now? I'm not seeing it.

???

I said:
Not everyone is a mage and not every mage runs counterspell :^). Freeze Mage certainly don't (not that they need to really).

Freeze mage don't run counterspell, and they don't need to because Ice Block counters Anyfin OTK. The post of mine you quoted was obviously not talking about Freeze mage, because they don't run Counterspell (nor do they have the deck slot for it).

So this brings back the point. If you are playing some tempo decklist, you MIGHT run 1 counterspell. 2 counterspells will be too clunky (especially for tempo mage) and because you run mad scientists, you end up:
1) Diluting your chance of grabbing mirror entity via scientists even further, which is crucial for a tempo mage in some matchups
2) Will very likely hit one of their early game spells instead

1 Counterspell vs an average of 5-7 spells on most Anyfin decks and you are expecting that to be some kind of easy counter?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at my collection, TGT really was underwhelming. I have no desire to get more packs for it after the initial batch. I guess the issue is that both Inspire and Joust sort of fell flat, I don't think I ever see any Joust cards in constructed, and inspire cards are really rare too.

Also, the counter to Anyfin is to tech in shitty Murlocs. Just slot in some Raiders, Tinyfins, and Tidehunters, and when they play the card you will flood their board with low value non-aura Murlocs.

JohnCYQ

The counter is to never kill any murlocs ever.

Watching Dog play Anyfin on stream, the counter is to Entomb their Murkeye so that you significantly weaken their OTK.

On the flipside it is a misplay to keep your murkeye alive vs a priest on turn 6+. He had an opportunity to suicide into and kill a Cabal (dragon priest) but chose to go face instead. He still won though, but I felt it was a huge mistake, especially when the exact same thing happened to him in a previous game.

???

I said:

Freeze mage don't run counterspell, and they don't need to because Ice Block counters Anyfin OTK. The post of mine you quoted was obviously not talking about Freeze mage, because they don't run Counterspell (nor do they have the deck slot for it).

So this brings back the point. If you are playing some tempo decklist, you MIGHT run 1 counterspell. 2 counterspells will be too clunky (especially for tempo mage) and because you run mad scientists, you end up:
1) Diluting your chance of grabbing mirror entity via scientists even further, which is crucial for a tempo mage in some matchups
2) Will very likely hit one of their early game spells instead

1 Counterspell vs an average of 5-7 spells on most Anyfin decks and you are expecting that to be some kind of easy counter?

Yes? Murloc decks need a lot of things to go right to survive to a point where anyfin can be used + you need to draw and play the murlocs + they need to die.

It isn't like a faceless charge combo. As soon as you play that first murloc people will save counter spell for later. You have plenty of time.

And yes paladin could get the god draw and drop it on turn 10, but paladin has six different god draw paths right now.

Point is, there are counters.

Now entomb? Entomb is very legit. Against something like a highmane it is just game winning for a priest.

jgminto

Ok, I think Entomb might be one of the most soul crushing cards in the game. The only thing that feels worse than getting one of your best minions entombed is getting THE MINION YOU ENTOMBED FROM THEM ENTOMBED BACK! BUT WORSE THAN THAT IS GETTING THE JARAXXUS THAT DROPPED FROM THEIR SNEED'S WHICH YOU TOOK WITH SHRINK/CABAL ENTOMBED SO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR LOSS IS NOW INEVITABLE!!! FUCK!!!!!!

JohnCYQ

Yes? Murloc decks need a lot of things to go right to survive to a point where anyfin can be used + you need to draw and play the murlocs + they need to die.

It isn't like a faceless charge combo. As soon as you play that first murloc people will save counter spell for later. You have plenty of time.

And yes paladin could get the god draw and drop it on turn 10, but paladin has six different god draw paths right now.

Point is, there are counters.

Now entomb? Entomb is very legit. Against something like a highmane it is just game winning for a priest.
So you're telling me that in your mage deck that runs Counterspell, you don't run Mad Scientists?

I mean, you do realize that having mad scientist bring out counterspell means it will more than likely absorb one of the paladin's early spells like consecration/muster and will therefore do nothing against Anyfin, right?

Or that running double counterspell is the equivalent of a midrange hunter that runs double flare?

Unless you're telling me that your mulligan strategy in a tempo mage deck vs a paladin (unlikely knowing which variant it is), is to fish for counterspell?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anfin can happen can deal 20+ damage in one turn? But it's Pala, so it is fun.

Anyfin is more proof that Charge is a fundamentally overpowered ability in Hearthstone. If you can combine charge with buffs, you will get people to put together massive burst dps decks.

Anyfin may actually be more balanced if it just summoned random murlocs. "For each Murloc that died this game, summons a random Murloc, up to 7." Would also synergize better with Murloc knight. But Anyfin does require you to put 6 to 8 cards in your deck to make it work. I think its just more annoying than strong, but its hard to tell right now.

Top Bottom