• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Catvoca

Banned
Haven't played in a few days, log on to do quests and it's just a chore. Maybe I'm close to just being done with this game. Little to no enjoyment coming out of it these days.

I had the same thing happen a while ago, just take a break from the game for a few weeks/months, and when you come back you'll probably enjoy it a lot more. We're in between content cycles now, so you won't even fall behind. I think it's necessary with HS to take a few breaks once in while so you don't get burned out on it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck it. Last time I decided to craft every mid-range paladin card in golden... might as well go all-in with the cards that I think is worth it. This batch costed me a total of 8800 dust

YjVoKdF.jpg

Reasoning:

Tirion: golden Ashbringer looks dope and Tirion will always be in the meta.
x2 Mysterious Shitface: no comment
x2 Entomb: dunno how long it'll be in the meta but so far it's insane and the animation is fantastic
x2 Museum Curator: awesome card and every discover card you get turn out to be golden as well
x2 Death's Bite: best weapon in the game

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it. Last time I decided to craft every mid-range paladin card in golden... might as well go all-in with the cards that I think is worth it. This batch costed me a total of 8800 dust

Reasoning:

x2 Entomb: dunno how long it'll be in the meta but so far it's insane and the animation is fantastic
x2 Museum Curator: awesome card and every discover card you get turn out to be golden as well

umm weren't you quitting hearthstone? like today? because it was ruining your life? remember that? Good times.

Dahbomb

Reasoning:

Weren't you going to quit the game?

FUCK PRIEST!

Who was the genius who decided to give them even more ways to steal cards. What a shitty class that needs to steal my cards to actually be good.

While watching some of Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler of Brian Kibler Gaming's videos, I was wondering something about the Golden Monkey card.

Would it be too strong if it only changed minions to legendary minions? I feel like one of the biggest draw backs to the card is the fact you lose all your spells. Of course it's probably intentional to keep the card from being too strong. I bring it up because I find it to be an interesting way to balance a card.

Haunted

While watching some of Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler of Brian Kibler Gaming's videos, I was wondering something about the Golden Monkey card.

Would it be too strong if it only changed minions to legendary minions? I feel like one of the biggest draw backs to the card is the fact you lose all your spells. Of course it's probably intentional to keep the card from being too strong. I bring it up because I find it to be an interesting way to balance a card.
I haven't seen Brian Kibler Gaming's Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler's video in question, but I think the Golden Monkey effect is already so far out there, it's basically impossible to balance. I couldn't even imagine all the ramifications of having it affect only minions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think it'd make a difference but I don't think Blizzard wants Golden Monkey to become meta. He was clearly designed not to.

jgminto

One of the advantages of the Golden Monkey in the late game is that it also changes cards like Power Word: Shield and other early game spells into potentially powerful cards once you reach the end of your deck. I think once you reach the point where you play the Golden Monkey, you're changing your gameplan from answering threats as Control Priest usually does to overwhelming the enemy with threats, like a more extreme version of Midrange Hunter.

^^Yeah, that's a good point to. It can get rid of useless / hard to use spells late game.

I haven't seen Brian Kibler Gaming's Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler's video in question, but I think the Golden Monkey effect is already so far out there, it's basically impossible to balance. I couldn't even imagine all the ramifications of having it affect only minions.
I think it's the most recent ones where he was fighting a Secret Paladin. Basically he wouldn't play the Monkey because he was keeping an Entomb for Tirion. Might of been the Voices of Winterveil one.

I think it'd make a difference but I don't think Blizzard wants Golden Monkey to become meta. He was clearly designed not to.
It'd probably make it easier to play in a control based deck since you don't lose your answers to other crazy minions, outside of something like Pyro combos, but you're most likely right. Just the fact of how clunky it is to play the card.

I honestly can't stop. Yes, I lack the self control. This game is hurting me, physically, mentally and economically. It's also ruining friendships, family and collage. Hearthstone for me is literally the epitome of everything that is bad and evil on this planet and once again. Blizzard is the only company who can stop this right now.

If it gets bad Yoshi, I for real will dust your entire collection for you and then blow your gold and then craft/dust everything until you have nothing left. PM me if you need. It's hard to tell just how sincerely you want everything wiped.

Please dust it because I am sick of him.

I'm getting that 1600 dust gdi.

Owzers

First match back with renolock, i play a mirror and don't put in sacrificial pact like advised here. Put it in, don't play another renolock in my next 5 games.

not knowing how this game works lost me a game. mirrorlock played a sylvanas and then the next turn a fuegan guy who would summon thatddius when killed. I thought it was all smart and mind control teched, grabbed sylvanas, then i wiped the board to steal Thaddius and i guess he would have had to play sylvanas after fuegan for that to work so i got nothing but shame.

Ridli

I got your back GAF. I just pulled a duplicate Dr. 7 and turned him into 400 dust. Enjoy the balance patch next week.

Also, I got my first recent opponent sodium request today. I feel like that's an important milestone. Shredder popping out a Millhouse seems to be a pretty traumatic event. My "sorry" was sincere... honest!

Tarazet

Shaman has the worst board clears. Lightning Storm is RNG garbage with Overload, and Elemental Destruction has a massive Overload penalty that basically requires you to have Lava Shock. Priest has some strong board clears, but I'd give the edge to Warlock. As far as healing goes, Renolock has Reno, Healbot, Jaraxxus, and sometimes ERF. ERF/Healbot + Brann is a ridiculous heal, and then they have Brewmasters to bounce healing minions for a second use.

Lightning Storm costs 3 mana, at worst does the same as Consecration, and has synergy to buff class minions. That's not bad at all. Elemental Destruction is unplayable before turn 5/without Lava Shock because of the overload, but if you gotta play it, it sure is nice to have it.

The trick about Shaman is that overload effects are meant to get you a tempo advantage, but they can just as easily put you further behind if the advantage you gain is easily countered. That's why Lightning Bolt, Lava Burst, and Totem Golem are such staples.. they go a very long way towards helping tempo. Some of the cases that are less clear-cut are Earth Elemental and Ancestral Knowledge. EE is a pretty good minion, but if he gets shot up by a BGH or turned into a sheep because you didn't bait out the removals first, it really hurts. As for AK, I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be used when you are behind, but rather when you are leading and want to keep your hand full of good options. It can save you from a bad position with a clutch draw, but it's more likely to sink any chance of getting back into the game because it slows down your tempo so much. It's the one card in the standard aggro list that I've been tempted to replace more than once.

Mulgrok

I start making a comeback at 2 losses in arena, and think I might make it pretty far... then at 7 wins hit a Paladin with equality + consecrate, eadric, and other crap.

FeD.nL

The card that I always forget exists until I put it in my deck and am surprised at the results:

12217.png

Just put it in my RenoLock deck instead of Twisting Nether, and it does work.

bjaelke

Mage plays Effigy and Spellslinger which gives me Sacrificial Pact. I kill his Spellslinger the next turn and it summons a Felguard in its place.

TulfiJh.gif

Celegus

These ultra face Shamans are getting so annoying. I finally thought I had a good hand and drew pretty much exactly what I needed, but it still ended up playing solitaire and getting smacked for a 15+ c-c-c-c-combo.

Danj

Picked up the Explorers adventure, what's the strategy to beat the Mine Cart Rush in Uldaman? nevermind I got it

Ladekabel

Faced my first Christmas Tree Pally in a few days. So disgusting. Vomits minion after minion on the board, draws 4+ cards with Divine Favour. I think I have enough for a few days.

FeD.nL

I had the dream and it became a nightmare. Playing Renolock with Elise. Manage to get to 30hp and get monkey off. Have him on the ropes, his webspinner gets him acidmaw and unleash the hounds proceeds to wreck my board. Couldn't keep up with minions and proceeded to lose because there was no way for me to get rid off acidmaw. FML.

Line_HTX

Well, I finally caved in and bought Wing 2 and the rest of the League of Explorers.

Not like I had anything better to do anyway.

mxgt

Banned
gawd, renolock is sooo good. I'm actually playing combo renolock as I don't have Jaraxxus on EU, it's like the usual list with thaddius etc but I have one po, one arcane golem and one faceless. full on win streak 20+. faceless on its own is pretty amazing, dropped the faceless on opponents ysera and the priest had no answer for it, lolz, it's preetty good on Tirion too, other times it hits face for 24. It feels good not losing at all if you play well. This is my go to deck from now on, crafting golden Jaraxxus soon for it. a tier 1 deck that doesn't feel disgusting to play and skill actually matters? yes please.

Renolock is my favourite deck at the moment. Doesn't feel cheap and has so many tools, combos, board clears, etc. Just really fun to play.

Might have to try Faceless in it at some point!

Pooya

went 3-0 against a same secret paladin player in casual mode.... with my really horrible looking Sir Finley control hunter, the games were hilarious. Let's say I played buzzard+unleash combo in 2 games and really wrecked him xD playing double hunter's mark did a lot of work too. He had MC every game. My draws were just too good I guess :b

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The card that I always forget exists until I put it in my deck and am surprised at the results:

12217.png

Just put it in my RenoLock deck instead of Twisting Nether, and it does work.

The problem with him is that he's a fairly easy for your opponent to deal with if you are particularly far behind. You have to essentially be slightly ahead and drop him on an empty board. You can really lock down the game with it though. Especially if you're a priest. He's actually a really great legendary in arena.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
OK so now I've finished Explorers, are there any cards in it that I can use to improve my mage deck?

Ethereal Conjurer is good, it's less board presence but the discover mechanic can be amazing, torch can be decent but i have had mixed results. Oh and put 2 water elemental in your deck, so many weapon classes in this meta.
Anyway here's the list i made

M7XH6Dt.png

it was an allright list but i think i would definitely put a portal or two in there.

Ridli

OK so now I've finished Explorers, are there any cards in it that I can use to improve my mage deck?

I would consider subbing in Ethereal Conjurer for spellslinger. However, this depends on wether or not you are usually playing slinger on curve, or as a way to replenish spells. Conjurer is more likely to give you a useful spell, but is delayed quite a few turns.

I don't know if tempo runs forgotten torch. I've mostly seen it in burn type decks.

Just played against a rogue deck running brann, battlecry all over the place, master of disguise, brewmasters, gang up, vanish... I think the end game plan was a stealthed brann plus a lot of ganged up booms. It seemed pretty neat, but he should have played the heal bot one turn sooner, especially after leaving emperor alone on my board for 3 turns.

Is this a new known deck or was it an experiment? I kinda want to build it, but also like my current rogue deck and the feast of winteveil hasn't brought me more decks lots yet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem with him is that he's a fairly easy for your opponent to deal with if you are particularly far behind. You have to essentially be slightly ahead and drop him on an empty board. You can really lock down the game with it though. Especially if you're a priest. He's actually a really great legendary in arena.

Yep.

The problem Hearthstone has (and almost all card games have) is certain cards that appear good in constructed are really win more cards.

ZealousD

He's talking about consistency in card text. Specifically Druid of the Claw.

-Consistency is very important in physical card games because text is the only clue to how cards work. If cards are not consistent you can't play the game.

-In digital games consistency is not as important because the game is the judge. Sometimes they can print a card without putting in all the rules and possibilities (Ysera).

-Inconsistency between DotC and other transform minions like Ancient of War is only problematic with edge cases (like silence and sap).

-Development team feels that current text for DotC is easier to parse and understand than the alternate text that puts it in line with Druid of the Flame or Druid of the Saber.

-They value the parseability more for DotC than the other minions because it's a basic card (my correction: it's in the classic set, not a basic card).

-Ben Brode wouldn't commit to that argument and said he could very well see them change the text for DotC in the future.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know why the team's so reluctant to change text on old cards. Literally everyone does it. Valve with DOTA, League with Riot, Blizzard themselves have changed the text of old abilities I'm pretty fucking sure. It just seems like such a weird sticking point.

A long time ago I made a longwinded post on B.Net about how they should change the text on Vanish to remove "owner" because it has a lot of baggage in card games. Some fuckhead moron actually was all "herp derp this is hearthstone not magic it does what it says it does". What do you know, they did change Sap some point later: Patch 1.0.0.4217 (2013-12-10): Text changed to "Return an enemy minion to your opponent's hand."

(But they never changed Vanish)

It's these things that just boggle my mind. Why is it necessary in one place, but not in the other? The game has changed. What was once a good idea might not be so good anymore and when old "good" ideas become not so good ideas they should be updated. That's just sensible.

Magnus

y3Oz3g6.jpg

That gorgeous familiar glow. What could it be?

mWchUtm.jpg

My second Cho, and the one I have is Golden, too! Lol.

That's five goldens in a year and a half of play. Two Chos, a Mimiron (YASS), a Wilfrid Fizzlebang (YASS), and a Bloodmage Thalnos which I already had as a normie, and therefore DE'd right away.

Which legendary shall I craft with the dust from this new Cho? I think I have all the essentials now....

Here's all the legendaries I'm missing:

Millhouse (had 3 already and DE'd them all)
Mukla (my first legendary ever, DE'd before I knew better)
Tinkmaster Overspark
Gormok the Impaler
Captain Greenskin
Elite Tauren Chieftain
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Illidan Stormrage
The Beast
The Black Knight
The Skeleton Knight
Toshley
Baron Geddon
Gruul
Nozdormu
Onyxia
Deathwing

Class:
Malorne
Dreadscale
Gahz'rilla
King Krush
Flame Leviathan
Eadric the Pure
Trade Prince Gallywix
The Mistcaller
Neptulon
Iron Juggernaut

-

The only ones I've ever seen on actual 'craft next' lists have been Geddon and The Black Knight, and for classes, possibly Neptulon and Mistcaller. I think I've got all the other essentials.

ZealousD

I don't know why the team's so reluctant to change text on old cards. Literally everyone does it. Valve with DOTA, League with Riot, Blizzard themselves have changed the text of old abilities I'm pretty fucking sure. It just seems like such a weird sticking point.

They've changed the text on old cards plenty of times. I don't think their reluctance to change DotC necessarily represents some broader trend of them not wanting to change the text on cards.

y3Oz3g6.jpg

That gorgeous familiar glow. What could it be?

mWchUtm.jpg

My second Cho, and the one I have is Golden, too! Lol.

That's five goldens in a year and a half of play. Two Chos, a Mimiron (YASS), a Wilfrid Fizzlebang (YASS), and a Bloodmage Thalnos which I already had as a normie, and therefore DE'd right away.

Which legendary shall I craft with the dust from this new Cho? I think I have all the essentials now....

Here's all the legendaries I'm missing:

Millhouse (had 3 already and DE'd them all)
Mukla (my first legendary ever, DE'd before I knew better)
Tinkmaster Overspark
Gormok the Impaler
Captain Greenskin
Elite Tauren Chieftain
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Illidan Stormrage
The Beast
The Black Knight
The Skeleton Knight
Toshley
Baron Geddon
Gruul
Nozdormu
Onyxia
Deathwing

Class:
Malorne
Dreadscale
Gahz'rilla
King Krush
Flame Leviathan
Eadric the Pure
Trade Prince Gallywix
The Mistcaller
Neptulon
Iron Juggernaut

-

The only ones I've ever seen on actual 'craft next' lists have been Geddon and The Black Knight. I think I've got all the other essentials.

Most of the legendaries that you're missing are only worth owning for completion's sake. The only ones I see that are actually playable are Gormok, Black Knight, Geddon, Toshley, and Capt. Greenskin. Out of those, I'd say either Gormok or the Black Knight depending on what types of decks you play. BK is a better fit for control decks, Gormok goes into board flood decks which tend to be aggro. Geddon is pretty niche. He's rarely seen outside of Control Warrior. Toshley has good stats for the cost, but the spare parts are only really useful in Flamewaker decks. I've always felt like Capt. Greenskin has been underrated, but he's really only ever going to be useful to 3 classes: Warrior, Paladin, and Rogue. The other weapon classes (Hunter and Shaman) don't rely on their weapons like those three.

From your list of class legendaries, Dreadscale, Gahz, and Gallywix are all good cards that don't really have any use in current decks for the classes they belong to. Neptulon is OK, might be better with Everyfin, but I've never tried it or even seen it played. Iron Juggernaut is only useful in Fatigue Warrior, but isn't even necessary in that deck. The rest are trash.

Top Bottom