• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Magnus

Most of the legendaries that you're missing are only worth owning for completion's sake. The only ones I see that are actually playable are Gormok, Black Knight, Geddon, Toshley, and Capt. Greenskin. Out of those, I'd say either Gormok or the Black Knight depending on what types of decks you play. BK is a better fit for control decks, Gormok goes into board flood decks which tend to be aggro. Geddon is pretty niche. He's rarely seen outside of Control Warrior. Toshley has good stats for the cost, but the spare parts are only really useful in Flamewaker decks. I've always felt like Capt. Greenskin has been underrated, but he's really only ever going to be useful to 3 classes: Warrior, Paladin, and Rogue. The other weapon classes (Hunter and Shaman) don't rely on their weapons like those three.

Thanks for the advice!

Kenaras

I don't know why the team's so reluctant to change text on old cards. Literally everyone does it. Valve with DOTA, League with Riot, Blizzard themselves have changed the text of old abilities I'm pretty fucking sure. It just seems like such a weird sticking point.

A long time ago I made a longwinded post on B.Net about how they should change the text on Vanish to remove "owner" because it has a lot of baggage in card games. Some fuckhead moron actually was all "herp derp this is hearthstone not magic it does what it says it does". What do you know, they did change Sap some point later: Patch 1.0.0.4217 (2013-12-10): Text changed to "Return an enemy minion to your opponent's hand."

(But they never changed Vanish)

It's these things that just boggle my mind. Why is it necessary in one place, but not in the other? The game has changed. What was once a good idea might not be so good anymore and when old "good" ideas become not so good ideas they should be updated. That's just sensible.

Heathstone really likes to take advantage of its digital-only medium. In this case, that means they get to have unclear, inconsistent, and contradictory wording on their cards without ever bothering to fix it. With experience players will learn how the cards really work, but it's literally impossible to know how some card interactions will work before seeing them. Physical card games can't get away with that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's not my point at all. New Druid cards have the Transform "keyword". It is trivial to change DotC to move it in line with the new text but they're apparently not willing to commit to it?

It's like if moving forward they changed healing spells to "Restore X health to a character." instead of "Restore X health" and then never bothered changing the current ones. It's just so bizarre. I like seeing consistent language for game systems. I didn't think that was such an uncommon stance?

Like, DOTA once had a complicated, obtuse damage system where there was magical, physical, pure, composite (half physical/half magic). You didn't know what did what until you looked it up and studied it. But recently it was streamlined into Magical/Physical/Pure, and then baked into the UI. The mechanics were further streamlined to separate Spell Immunity from Magic Resistance and Physical Immunity, which was another point of confusion because it wasn't clear what immunities blocked what. Mechanically, very little changed, but semantically the game is more intuitive now.

It's not perfect, and the game is still packed with edge cases (just like Hearthstone) but it was a vast UI improvement in my opinion. Physical vs digital doesn't come into it. This is a UX issue.

They're simply not willing to change card text without a compelling need to do so. They value an old player coming back and jumping into the game and seeing dotc being the exact same way it was when they left. It is just a design choice that, imo, isn't a big deal at all. Maybe they'll get around to changing it one day when they aren't working on other things (?). Who knows.

Danj

Ethereal Conjurer is good, it's less board presence but the discover mechanic can be amazing, torch can be decent but i have had mixed results. Oh and put 2 water elemental in your deck, so many weapon classes in this meta.
Anyway here's the list i made

M7XH6Dt.png

it was an allright list but i think i would definitely put a portal or two in there.

I still don't have Antonidas unfortunately.

I would consider subbing in Ethereal Conjurer for spellslinger. However, this depends on wether or not you are usually playing slinger on curve, or as a way to replenish spells. Conjurer is more likely to give you a useful spell, but is delayed quite a few turns.

I don't know if tempo runs forgotten torch. I've mostly seen it in burn type decks.

OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

meowtapes

Neo Member
Is anyone having connection issues right now with Hearthstone? Checked my internet and it's definitely not a problem on my end.

What's the matter with Kripp casting?

Kripp is pretty bad at constructive, therefore shouldn't be casting constructed at a high level. Sometimes he is somewhat accurate though, but I feel those times are rare. I think he gets hired often because he has a large following, not because he is great at his analysis.

Dragner

I have no problems on EU. Rank 2 with murlocadin, deck is a blast and autowins vs control and agro is somewhat easy too unless you are unlucky with the draws. My winrate is almost 70% I would be legend if I played more than 5 games a day xD.

Xanathus

What's the matter with Kripp casting?

Kripp is pretty bad at constructive, therefore shouldn't be casting constructed at a high level. Sometimes he is somewhat accurate though, but I feel those times are rare. I think he gets hired often because he has a large following, not because he is great at his analysis.

This. He's bad at the constructed game and doesn't understand that top players play around cards that will lose you the game like Cabal Shadowpriest or Shadowflame. He also doesn't recognize players making plays to win and just thinks 1 turn at a time. A good caster needs to be someone who is able to recognize top level plays, Kripp is like having a rank 15 player trying to coach you on becoming legend.

This. He's bad at the constructed game and doesn't understand that top players play around cards that will lose you the game like Cabal Shadowpriest or Shadowflame. He also doesn't recognize players making plays to win and just thinks 1 turn at a time. A good caster needs to be someone who is able to recognize top level plays, Kripp is like having a rank 15 player trying to coach you on becoming legend.

He isn't even good at casting period. All they focus on is the turn to turn level of strategy and never speak about the larger picture, how each side is doing, what each side needs to do to win. All they try to do is guess what the next person is going to play... so boring. Casters like Frodan do a 10x better job talking about each game from multiple angles.

Mulgrok

I don't particularly care for Kripp's sarcasm while announcing tournaments. Haven't had any problems with the others I've seen.

EDIT: someone is probably DDOSing blizz, because connection is shaky as hell.

Dragner

Frodan isnt great at analyzing high level play but better than this 2 for sure, at least he is a legend player. Also he is great at casting and the best at interacting with his casting partners to avoid void air.

They need more Frodan, Savjz and Kibler trio. They do great together.

Xanathus

Frodan isnt great at analyzing high level play but better than this 2 for sure, at least he is a legend player. Also he is great at casting and the best at interacting with his casting partners to avoid void air.

They need more Frodan, Savjz and Kibler trio. They do great together.

Firebat is also actually an excellent caster though he speaks too quickly. He just needs to work a bit on his caster skills and he'll be as good as Frodan and possibly better since he's actually good at the game.

meowtapes

Neo Member
I experienced that renolock deck that everyone talks about for the first time as an entomb control priest. It was fun for a while when I thoughtstole his map but he got me with a Kel'Thuzad that I didn't have an answer for for about 3 turns.

ViviOggi

I experienced that renolock deck that everyone talks about for the first time as an entomb control priest. It was fun for a while when I thoughtstole his map but he got me with a Kel'Thuzad that I didn't have an answer for for about 3 turns.
The matchup is pretty bad even without weird stuff like KT. If Warlock can stay even on board (which shouldn't be a problem) Jaraxxus is just autowin, especially with an Emperor proc. Probably easier when you're running the version with Auchenai and Flash Heal but imo that one's too inconsistent in other matchups.

Dahbomb

I will not stand for this Kripp bashing!

Forever Legend rank and highest earning HS player when he was playing seriously. Never forget.

I thoughtstole a Reno on turn 5 from a dude that was roping every turn while I chipped him down and he didn't play a single card

I was worried he had Reno in has hand or would soon draw him and get back to full health buuuuut his hand was full and Reno was vaporized :lol

He conceded

meowtapes

Neo Member
The matchup is pretty bad even without weird stuff like KT. If Warlock can stay even on board (which shouldn't be a problem) Jaraxxus is just autowin, especially with an Emperor proc. Probably easier when you're running the version with Auchenai and Flash Heal but imo that one's too inconsistent in other matchups.

Yeah I had really good board dominance until he pulled out the Twisting Nether. I just really didn't know how to play against it because I never have before. I'm not sure what I could have done other than maybe save an entomb or SW:D for that Kel'Thuzad but based on what you said they don't run it that often. Shrug, it's just one of the few matchups that I can't beat and I'm okay with that. I am running Auchenai and Flash Heal right now, I'm new to this version of control priest so I'm feeling out what I want. It's been pretty good as is, I was on a 5 or 6 win streak before the Renolock.

I'm personally not a fan of Kripp because of his attitude from what I've seen on some of his stream recordings. I don't really like the "pro player" attitude where they trash talk on other people.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't have Antonidas unfortunately.

antonidas is not core on tempo mage, he is nice but not essential. In other nees my midrange paladin uldaman deck is doing some serious work, got me from rank 5 to 4 nicely, that may not seem like much but it is to me.

Ridli

antonidas is not core on tempo mage, he is nice but not essential. In other nees my midrange paladin uldaman deck is doing some serious work, got me from rank 5 to 4 nicely, that may not seem like much but it is to me.

Keeper is just an incredible card. It's my favorite way to answer a belcher, deathlord, or anything that just got velen'd.

Keeper is just an incredible card. It's my favorite way to answer a belcher, deathlord, or anything that just got velen'd.

I always wait till they inevitably Velen's the Deathlord, but yeah.

Anyway:

BsTPx7X.jpg

Been digging for a Mal'Ganis or Lightbombs, but I'll take a Sneed's. I can make a nice Raptor Rogue now if I want.

Yeah I had really good board dominance until he pulled out the Twisting Nether. I just really didn't know how to play against it because I never have before. I'm not sure what I could have done other than maybe save an entomb or SW:D for that Kel'Thuzad but based on what you said they don't run it that often. Shrug, it's just one of the few matchups that I can't beat and I'm okay with that. I am running Auchenai and Flash Heal right now, I'm new to this version of control priest so I'm feeling out what I want. It's been pretty good as is, I was on a 5 or 6 win streak before the Renolock.

I'm personally not a fan of Kripp because of his attitude from what I've seen on some of his stream recordings. I don't really like the "pro player" attitude where they trash talk on other people.

The people he talks trash on more than deserve to have trash talked about them.

I had to laugh at "the constructed game". My cat knows everything there is to know about the four decks you see and she is very casual.

There really isn't a lot going on that you haven't seen before. "This druid is trying to draw a combo piece!" Isn't rocket science.

Xanathus

I had to laugh at "the constructed game". My cat knows everything there is to know about the four decks you see and she is very casual.

There really isn't a lot going on that you haven't seen before. "This druid is trying to draw a combo piece!" Isn't rocket science.

Kripp said that a Paladin player should drop a Shielded Minibot instead of hero powering with 2 extra mana against a Priest on turn 6. and the Priest was ahead on board. Although you could see that the Priest doesn't have Cabal in hand from spectator view, there is ZERO way that is a good play in any competitive match. Even Noxious recognized how bad that play would be. There are a whole bunch of fairly common cards high level players play around such as trading 1/1s off to play around Swipe.

Basically Kripp treats constructed games as if it's arena and thinks opponents don't have cards with rare/epic rarity which is fine in arena, except card rarity doesn't matter in constructed.

Mulgrok

Kripp said that a Paladin player should drop a Shielded Minibot instead of hero powering with 2 extra mana against a Priest on turn 6. and the Priest was ahead on board. Although you could see that the Priest doesn't have Cabal in hand from spectator view, there is ZERO way that is a good play in any competitive match. Even Noxious recognized how bad that play would be. There are a whole bunch of fairly common cards high level players play around such as trading 1/1s off to play around Swipe.

Basically Kripp treats constructed games as if it's arena and thinks opponents don't have cards with rare/epic rarity which is fine in arena, except card rarity doesn't matter in constructed.

I would imagine he says they should be playing around the 3rd flamestrike.

You said yourself, the priest was ahead on board. So yeah you might get fucked over if they have the card, but if not, you actually have a chance to win the game.

Xanathus

You said yourself, the priest was ahead on board. So yeah you might get fucked over if they have the card, but if not, you actually have a chance to win the game.

As midrange paladin, the only way to unfuck yourself from a position where the Priest is ahead is with Equality Consec and/or Truesilver. Giving them value with Minibot just digs you deeper into the hole.

Playing minibot on turn 6 is really odd if hero power hasn't been used yet. Minibot still has a strong role in the late game when minion resources start to get low. There would have to be a very compelling reason to play a minibot vs priest on turn 6, like to the point of having almost nothing else to play or do. Being behind on board is not good enough of a reason imo.

Tarazet

Played against a Mech Priest that absolutely beat the stuffing out of my Patron Warrior. Answers for everything and crazy synergy.

f0lken

Have you ever made a gimmick deck that worked way better than you expected? I went from 14 to 8 without losing a single game with this, then I lost, and reverted back to 11 lol, but it was more than I hoped anyway.

[
b0lAZtf.png

zer0das

Banned
First time I played with Reno in my deck and I won with 0 cards left and one minion on the board. Guy was 3 damage short of winning. Ouch. Now I know how it feels to be on the other side of the fence!

Edit: Then later I got 2 King Krush's from ball of spiders right as I hit 9 mana, and the enemy priest didn't have mind control. And I had a third one sitting in my deck. Yeesh.

Top Bottom