• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ViviOggi

Fullstoopid Shaman is not something the meta needs since going full tempo is objectively the best way to play the game. The dozens of options of decks that play value shit on curve nip any attempts of "greedy" archetypes in the bud. Even CW is not worth playing anymore.

It's just that Shaman is such a fucking design mess that the only way to play it is to fill half of your deck with burn and hope you don't draw all of it at once.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Technically, they're fulfilling the design goal of Overload. The point was always to be able to play more spells on Turn X than most other classes at the trade off of playing less cards on Turn X + 1. Shaman finally becomes viable now that you can win games on Turn X.

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

Ladekabel

Despite thinking the combo needs a nerf, I like to play with Druid. Want to play it again and need to ask how viable Ancient of War is. I have one copy of it, but I don't see the need to put it in a deck. There are so many ways to deal with it. Be it Sap, Uldaman or Entomb. What would be a good replacement?

Lyng

Despite thinking the combo needs a nerf, I like to play with Druid. Want to play it again and need to ask how viable Ancient of War is. I have one copy of it, but I don't see the need to put it in a deck. There are so many ways to deal with it. Be it Sap, Uldaman or Entomb. What would be a good replacement?

Ancient of war is a great card in midrange.

Tacitus_

It's not wrong to run one copy of it. Pain in the ass to get rid of if you don't have your answer in hand.

Dahbomb

Technically, they're fulfilling the design goal of Overload. The point was always to be able to play more spells on Turn X than most other classes at the trade off of playing less cards on Turn X + 1. Shaman finally becomes viable now that you can win games on Turn X.

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg
Shaman overloads for like 4 mana crystals on turn 6 but it doesn't matter because you are already dead.

The SMOrc song used to make fun of turn 7 lethal because that shit was disgusting back in the day. Nowadays games finish by turn 6 and are usually even decided by turn 5.

Xanathus

Only ramp druid plays 2 Wars, Combo only plays 1 sometimes as a tech card but that was really only good against patron. It's usually too slow as a taunt card against aggro cards. So you're good with only 1.

Owzers

Rank 5 with better secret paladin deck than the one i used to play. I'm sorry to my last paladin opponent who got knife juggled in two very unfair ways. Worst was his loatheb who i hit with a coghammered shredder down to 5/1 got juggled when the opponent killed the shredder with his weapon, game was mine to lose. Having a loatheb makes a huge difference, my last deck didn't run one in favor of an aldor and owl and other stuff.

JohnCYQ

i ran into problems with eggs in secret pally, sometimes i liked them a lot and others you start way too slow with not having anything to attack with immediately.
Well it's gonna take more time to test out for sure, but I feel it can work if your deck is tailored to make the eggs more consistent.

My current list runs only 4x 6-8 mana drops, and all 5 of the 4-mana cards (2x Kings, 2x Uldaman, 1x argus) can be used to activate the egg. Aside from the 4-drops there is 2x abusives and the occasional Avenge as well. Argus can help with killing things like Imp Gang Boss/dragon priest 2/4 by buffing minibots as well.

It's funny, but shredders feel too slow for the deck.

But wouldnt it be better if they had a cheap deck that would actually teach them how to play properly? Facehunter is aggro done wrong. You just go face and hope for the best. Thats pretty much strictly against everything a new player should learn. (Or at least I hope)

I am btw not saying its OP. Just that its a deck that rewards playing with your mind turned off. Much like secret paladin. (which is much stronger than face hunter)

Well, "But wouldn't it be better if..." is pretty much the tag line to Hearthstone at this point ;) But we need to work with what we have for now and I think Brawl is doing the job of teaching players how to theoretically play Hearthstone. Obviously not all weeks do this, but by and large you are playing random/unknown decks and hence have to make good trades and control the board to try to minimise it.

The "but wouldn't it be better if..." part is Blizzard making a proper casual mode, but it doesn't look like this is going to happen. Even then, the more cards that get released, the further behind new players will be trying to make a real deck. At least they'll have a few gold this way to achieve that.

To actual teach the reality of Hearthstone? Facehunter is pretty spot on. It'll teach you to always go face and never trade. The next step is to always go face but sometimes trade, aka secret paladin and that is about all you'll really need to know. In reverse, it is also important. While complaining about cards/decks online is an important Hearthstone skill to have! Getting beat by a facehunter really shouldn't happen all that often. Players will hence learn how to substitute in cards that'll beat it most times, which teaches both sides.

Mirimar

Wow, haven't had this much fun with a deck in awhile. Got tired of running secrets pally and tempo mage. Had Shaman daily and groaned since I did not want to play the typical agro deck that's been going around. Put together a mostly agro mech shaman build with a few midgame cards. Didn't expect it to do as well as it did on ladder, lol. 5 and 1 so far. Sir Finley in Shaman just does so much for this class. Telling how bad the hero power is comparatively.

4jIqsgd.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm getting close to level 60 for all the classes and it's kind of sad. Even some of the previously sought after gold basic cards like Yeti and Tazdingo just don't see play anymore. Like the only card I think I actually want is a Golden Murloc Tidehunter so I can finally get a golden Ole' Murk Eye for Everyfin Paladin.

I mean I guess you might see an ooze in Renlock sometimes....?

bjaelke

Renolock is the only Reno deck not to run Harrison, so I'd say Ooze it's an auto-include.

I've seen Sen'Jin in the ever so popular Priest Reno decks. Works great as a second Belcher against all the aggro on ladder. I ended up replacing it with Elise, because that card brings infinitely more joy (at the cost of a few losses).

Dahbomb

Renolock is the only Reno deck not to run Harrison, so I'd say Ooze it's an auto-include.

I've seen Sen'Jin in the ever so popular Priest Reno decks. Works great as a second Belcher against all the aggro on ladder. I ended up replacing it with Elise, because that card brings infinitely more joy (at the cost of a few losses).
I even play Senjin even my Renolock.

Senjin is my favorite card in Hearthstone. When I first played the game I put two Senjins in every deck I had. He was so reliable.

https://youtu.be/6-4Fvb8QACA?t=166

with that taunt wall, no way you die...

ahahahaha.
Savage Roar + Force of Nature is a fair and balanced interaction.

Tarazet

cant even be really mad about that. A six card combo that needed a coin is pretty crazy

Plus a Thaurissan turn done with ALL those cards in hand. Truly a one in a million game.

I already miss that last tavern brawl.. it was a godsend for my F2P account being able to grind all the classes to 10 and finish the daily quests lickety-split. That's probably the reason why Blizzard doesn't want them to be accessible all the time. It just won't do to have a mode where everyone has a truly equal footing!

Auctopus

Just had the worst Arena run of my life (0-3) with an inescapably bad Rogue deck that was the best of a bad situation in the draft.

Got golden Antonidas from the pack.

What is this game.

cHinzo

Just had the worst Arena run of my life (0-3) with an inescapably bad Rogue deck that was the best of a bad situation in the draft.

Got golden Antonidas from the pack.

What is this game.
Maybe u should go 0-3 more often. :p

Tried Elise in my Renodin deck, but she feels so slow. :/

Yesterday I had a game against a druid where he used Darnassus Aspirant & Innervate to get Dr Boom out on turn 4, and then another innervate to get Rag out on Turn 6. I didn't have any hard removal to deal with Boom until turn 6. All I could think of was 'where is my go to hell emote'.

Magnus

I've been stuck at Rank 11 all fucking morning. Back and forth, back and forth. Dragon Priest, Secret Paladin mostly. Facing a real mix of shit, too...

I will never understand how so many of you have the patience to grind to rank 5 or higher every single month

Danj

I've been stuck at Rank 11 all fucking morning. Back and forth, back and forth. Dragon Priest, Secret Paladin mostly. Facing a real mix of shit, too...

I will never understand how so many of you have the patience to grind to rank 5 or higher every single month

Count yourself lucky, I've never gotten past rank 13.

I usually make the push in the last couple of days. One decent win streak can carry you pretty far. I'm sitting at rank 10 right now, I should be able to grind it out tonight and tomorrow night. I need to get it done by tomorrow so that I can watch the Alabama game on Thursday.

ViviOggi

Rank 5 this season was super smooth for me, smoother than ever before I think. Ďid it mid-month with Renolock and Control Priest. Although ladder wasn't as awful as in the last couple of days, you occasionally saw other classes than Paladork, Faceroll Druid and Idiot Shaman. End of season ladder in the current meta is pure unfiltered ass, couldn't even bother finishing dailies at times because games were so ridiculously braindead across the board.

Pooya

I play decks I find fun mostly so it's not really a grind. I climbed with renolock on EU and oil rogue on US this month, it was actually really easy this month, I managed it really early. During LoE the meta was pretty good, there was a lot of variety, it was enjoyable overall but after LoE ended everyone went full on cancer decks again, I stopped playing ladder after that. I got to 3 full stars before giving up I think. The road to 5 isn't hard with winstreaks and fours star ranks, you need like to win like what 15-20? games to get there from rank 11.

Dahbomb

I usually make the push in the last couple of days. One decent win streak can carry you pretty far. I'm sitting at rank 10 right now, I should be able to grind it out tonight and tomorrow night. I need to get it done by tomorrow so that I can watch the Alabama game on Thursday.
Same here. I usually just get it down in 2 days at the end.

Owzers

Is there any way to beat freeze mage as secret paladin? I have never won a match against that deck.

I won the time i fought one but it was probably lucky. Owl a doomsayer, BoK something that deathrattled a board clear, playing Loatheb with a board, Keeper a doomsayer and hit it with a weapon if minions are frozen.

Ghost23

I won the time i fought one but it was probably lucky. Owl a doomsayer, BoK something that deathrattled a board clear, playing Loatheb with a board, Keeper a doomsayer and hit it with a weapon if minions are frozen.

I just beat a freeze mage, but I had to get every card in my favor, and they got pretty unlucky. Which decks would be good against freeze mage? I'm at rank 5, and the farther down I get the more mages I see.

I just beat a freeze mage, but I had to get every card in my favor, and they got pretty unlucky. Which decks would be good against freeze mage? I'm at rank 5, and the farther down I get the more mages I see.

Control Warrior basically can't lose against Freeze Mage. But are you really seeing that many of them that you need to switch decks to beat them?

Would working in a wailing soul or two help? Not sure what you'd have to give up though.

There's always Kezan Mystic which you can use to steal an Ice Block. You can also use it against your fellow Secret Paladins but I too don't know how flexible that deck is.

Ghost23

Control Warrior basically can't lose against Freeze Mage. But are you really seeing that many of them that you need to switch decks to beat them?

Yea I don't think it's worth it at this point yet. I'm roughly 12-3 in my last 15 games, with the three loses being freeze mage, but my win rate is high enough where I probably should just ignore it. This is my first push for legend in awhile, but this secret pally deck will probably be the one to do it for me, even though everyone seems to hate anyone playing it.

Yea I don't think it's worth it at this point yet. I'm roughly 12-3 in my last 15 games, with the three loses being freeze mage, but my win rate is high enough where I probably should just ignore it. This is my first push for legend in awhile, but this secret pally deck will probably be the one to do it for me, even though everyone seems to hate anyone playing it.

For those of us who have never made legend, no matter the deck, just get there. HearthGaf will understand.

Sande

I was literally one win from rank 5 when I hit the mother of all loss streaks, almost dropping me to 8. Usually I don't really even try to reach 5. It either happens or it doesn't happen, but I don't want to give up when I've been so close.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I was literally one win from rank 5 when I hit the mother of all loss streaks, almost dropping me to 8. Usually I don't really even try to reach 5. It either happens or it doesn't happen, but I don't want to give up when I've been so close.

Just play Secret Paladin each month until you get Rank 5. You'll brainlessly get there each time.

Top Bottom