• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Question: what do you do in this game?

Most of my playtime is spent in ranked, and to me that's the meat of the game. Arena is okay, but once I found out how RNG-based it all was, I lost a lot of interest. So if you don't do a lot of ranked, what do you do?

Question applies for anyone else, too. I'm just curious about how people besides me spend their time playing this game.

These days I just try to spend as little time playing while earning as much gold as possible. Then in the last 5-ish days of the month, shoot for rank 5 with the OP deck of the moment.

My goal from day 1 was to get a full card collection, and I still want to do that. I'm at like 85% completion or something. I mainly play Arena, but I've had some really awful luck this month that has kinda burned me out on that.

Dre

Most of my playtime is spent in ranked, and to me that's the meat of the game. Arena is okay, but once I found out how RNG-based it all was, I lost a lot of interest. So if you don't do a lot of ranked, what do you do?

Question applies for anyone else, too. I'm just curious about how people besides me spend their time playing this game.

I do my quests in Casual and Tavern Brawl mostly and that's about it. I very rarely play Arena, like less than once per month and just ladder for the last 2 or 3 days of the season to get my golden epic card.

Took my midrange paladin out to casual to finish a quest, got matched up against a warrior. All I can say is that even if you're playing a special snowflake deck like hobgoblin warrior it doesn't give you the privilege of roping every turn. After three turns of that nonsense I did the same to him and that quickly ended his shenanigans.

Xanathus

Took my midrange paladin out to casual to finish a quest, got matched up against a warrior. All I can say is that even if you're playing a special snowflake deck like hobgoblin warrior it doesn't give you the privilege of roping every turn. After three turns of that nonsense I did the same to him and that quickly ended his shenanigans.

That's one of the reasons why I just get to the higher ranks early in the season, you don't face people who do stupid stuff like roping every turn or taking ages to make simple decisions or BMing since you're now facing players who also just want to win the game and get it over with.

For now I spend all my time doing quests, when the new set releases I'm going to spend all of it on new packs, play standard. From there I'm going to have to decide whether I want to spend more gold on packs or start playing Arena. Kinda unbelievable that my 7-3 run is my only arena run ever.

Tarazet

I do my quests, in whatever mode might be easiest that day, and GTFO. I still enjoy it, just in small doses.

I do my quests in casual and try to grind some wins a day for my golden nonsecrets paladin, currently 498 so I have to think my next class to do ladder with, maybe druid.

gutshot

Unlocked Lady Liadrin this morning. I was lucky in that I had a level 19 character already. It took me about an hour or so of questing to ding 20. I can't imagine having to level all the way up from 1.

Tarazet

I do my quests in casual and try to grind some wins a day for my golden nonsecrets paladin, currently 498 so I have to think my next class to do ladder with, maybe druid.

You have to play Ranked to count towards golden portraits.. if I could play Casual I would already have golden Garrosh for sure.

Magnus

Aww, Liadrin's recruits aren't golden themselves? :( :(

Unlocked Lady Liadrin this morning. I was lucky in that I had a level 19 character already. It took me about an hour or so of questing to ding 20. I can't imagine having to level all the way up from 1.

By chance, I had a level 19 warlock with lots of Rest XP. I threw on heirloom gear, flew to Duskwood and killed like 15 enemies for 3-4% of a level's worth of XP each. Easy mode. I think I invested like 5 minutes of time into the whole thing. Lol

Catvoca

Banned
I feel like an idiot downloading Wow just for some stupid portrait, but I can't help myself.

How long is it taking you guys to hit lvl 20 then? Any tips on doing this as fast as possible? I've never played WoW properly.

mxgt

Banned
I feel like an idiot downloading Wow just for some stupid portrait, but I can't help myself.

How long is it taking you guys to hit lvl 20 then? Any tips on doing this as fast as possible? I've never played WoW properly.

WoW is super streamlined at this point so you literally just go from quest giver to quest giver. Everything is marked out on the map.

3-4 hours to 20 I'd wager.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Took me about 4-5 hours. Just follow the quests and hit the dungeon finder once you hit level 15.

Fireblend

Banned
I played an hour or so of WoW and made it to level 5. It was ok, I enjoyed it. I'll continue playing later this week maybe. I'd rather take my time and enjoy it than rush through it.

embalm

My time is split about 50/40/10 between Arena/Ranked/Brawl.

Arena is a great format and it's far from RNG based. It's much more minion and tempo driven than any other format. It rewards you for seeing synergy between cards and having general knowledge about the game. You can crush a great deck with a terrible one by making good plays and out playing someone feels great in arena.

Ranked is a lot of fun, but I get very bored when the meta settles. I hate playing against the same decks for months at a time. I love the first week after an expansion when people are exploring new decks. I wish the meta saw more changes more often.

Brawl was fun when it was announced, but I just play a few games to try it out once a week now. I might play more if they allow me to complete quests faster.

These days I just try to spend as little time playing while earning as much gold as possible. Then in the last 5-ish days of the month, shoot for rank 5 with the OP deck of the moment.

My goal from day 1 was to get a full card collection, and I still want to do that. I'm at like 85% completion or something. I mainly play Arena, but I've had some really awful luck this month that has kinda burned me out on that.

I do my quests in Casual and Tavern Brawl mostly and that's about it. I very rarely play Arena, like less than once per month and just ladder for the last 2 or 3 days of the season to get my golden epic card.

I do my quests, in whatever mode might be easiest that day, and GTFO. I still enjoy it, just in small doses.
Thanks guys!

My time is split about 50/40/10 between Arena/Ranked/Brawl.

Arena is a great format and it's far from RNG based. It's much more minion and tempo driven than any other format. It rewards you for seeing synergy between cards and having general knowledge about the game. You can crush a great deck with a terrible one by making good plays and out playing someone feels great in arena.

Ranked is a lot of fun, but I get very bored when the meta settles. I hate playing against the same decks for months at a time. I love the first week after an expansion when people are exploring new decks. I wish the meta saw more changes more often.

Brawl was fun when it was announced, but I just play a few games to try it out once a week now. I might play more if they allow me to complete quests faster.
When I started this game two months ago, I loved Arena because I thought it was a balanced and fair playing field where new players could shine. What I've discovered is that it is even more RNG-based than constructed because the card options you get are so skewed. One person will get multiple epics and legendaries that win the match, like Dr. Boom or Tirion, and another will get nothing at all. At that point, you're mostly just seeing who has the better deck.

Arena would be so much more respectable if, at least, each player always got the same number of rare/epic/legendary draws. Yeah, it wouldn't be perfect, since cards vary in quality among the rarities, but it would be better than what we have now.

ViviOggi

Epics are mostly garbage in arena and even legendaries aren't that impactful as most games are decided way before they hit the board. Yeah there's the odd game-winning Boom or Tirion but those are incredibly rare in the bigger picture.

I just have to hope when I return to WoW that I have some high teen leveled character so I don't have to work that hard.

Granted, I don't know if I can even log on for free with my current account.

Levi

Banned
Epics are mostly garbage in arena and even legendaries aren't that impactful as most games are decided way before they hit the board. Yeah there's the odd game-winning Boom or Tirion but those are incredibly rare in the bigger picture.

I got really lucky was able to pick up a Gorehowl in my draft yesterday (which was my first Warrior draft ever) which got me two extra wins I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I skipped brawl as my other epic because my curve was so low I thought it'd be negative synergy but all three of my losses were due to being out tempoed and losing the board.

gutshot

I just have to hope when I return to WoW that I have some high teen leveled character so I don't have to work that hard.

Granted, I don't know if I can even log on for free with my current account.

You can, you just can't access any characters you may have that are over level 20.

Getting sick and tired of having to reboot the whole game when I lose a connection. Game wont even reconnect properly mid-game. Why is this happening so often?

Pooya

Spring finals are Bo7! You have to bring 5 classes, that means you have to actually be somewhat good at this game. Looks like Blizzard also was embarrassed by the showing at Winter champs.

Dahbomb

Epics and Legendaries have much less impact on Arena than commons.

I would much rather play Paladin or Rogue with just commons and a couple of rares than be offered to play pre-TGT Warrior with epics and legendaries.

Though there is a huge difference in deck quality among Arena players... it's really because one guy was offered better commons than the other. Or they were offered the exact cards that they needed in that moment of time in their draft.

FeD.nL

Spring finals are Bo7! You have to bring 5 classes, that means you have to actually be somewhat good at this game. Looks like Blizzard also was embarrassed by the showing at Winter champs.

Finally! So standard format, Bo7 and single elimination this time?

Unlocked Liadrin today. has some nice animations.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You can, you just can't access any characters you may have that are over level 20.

Even worse you can't get any mail. I HAVE MAIL AND I CAN'T LOOK AT IT. The OCD inside me cries more and more the longer I play. Got to 13 or so last night as a Worgen. I hear the last 5 levels are pretty easy if you can get into a dungeon.

bjaelke

New brawl is live on NA

"Magical creatures are escaping from Tol Barad! Play a minion and get a random spell of the same cost, but for free!"

Pooya

Finally! So standard format, Bo7 and single elimination this time?

Unlocked Liadrin today. has some nice animations.

prelims are the same as before, you can't have 120 people play Bo7. But finals will be Bo7. Everything else is the same with one ban.

Dahbomb

New brawl is live on NA

"Magical creatures are escaping from Tol Barad! Play a minion and get a random spell of the same cost, but for free!"

Another repeat Brawl.

AAYYYY

L
M
A
O

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Every spell Brawl just turns into a Flamewaker Brawl. I kind of hope that most brawls will have a standard option so eventually we don't have to see that card in brawls anymore.

Fireblend

Banned
Just beat a shitty mage in the brawl with Shaman. I decided to have some fun and make a Reno deck, so you guys heard it here first. Reno Shaman new meta.

Xanathus

The big thing I've noticed over the years about the Hearthstone team is that they have really shitty internal communication and coordination. Even their balance team doesn't seem to communicate with each other where one guy makes a bunch of cards that counters a certain deck and then another guy nerfs that deck completely making those cards irrelevant. Or someone making a legendary to counter Beast Druid "because they were OP" but then it turns out Beast Druid is garbage.

bjaelke

VSmUo8M.jpg

It has divine shield(!)
Battlecry: Give your C'Thun +2/+2 (wherever it is)

Revealed by Chinese fansite duowan.

Top Bottom