• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm now very curious to see all the class C'Thun cards. I didn't think much of C'Thun decks (Blizzard has pushed Beast Druid, Dragon Paladin, Bolster Warrior a lot and they've not been very good) but C'Thun decks might end up being the real deal.

Ben Brode was noting that they wanted to push a lot of the power in the game into class cards going forward, so I expect the other ones are quite good too.

BC2jKzg.jpg

Thanks Brawl!

CJVaughn

Banned
Judging by the way they're doing it, seems like all the neutral ones will be to buff/empower C'thun and the class ones will use C'thun to buff themselves or trigger an effect.
I hope the remaining 4 do something more interesting than give C'Thun +X/+X. Something like 'Place C'Thun in your hand' or 'Give C'Thun Shroud' would really seal the deal for me.

Pooya

There might not be a C'Thun card for each class, there isn't a dragon card for each class for example or some tribes are class specific. It could be just for certain classes. Druid for example is a class that is about to get hit hard. Or warrior basic/classic set just sucks a lot for example. It could be that like 5 classes get C'Thun cards. I think those classes need more than 1 C'thun card to be interesting actually.

So far we have 3 neutrals and two class cards. That leaves 11. I think it's more likely that not every class has a C'Thun card.

georly

There might not be a C'Thun card for each class, there isn't a dragon card for each class for example. Or some tribes are class specific. It could be just for certain classes. Druid for example is a class that is about to get hit hard. Or warrior basic/classic set just sucks a lot for example. It could be that like 5 classes get C'Thun cards. I think those classes need more than 1 C'thun card to be interesting actually.

So far we have 3 neutrals and two class cards. That leaves 11. I think it's more likely that every class does not have a C'Thun card.

If they don't have a c'thun card, i'd like them to have a cthun counter card instead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the classes most associated with lasting to the end game are Warrior, Druid, Priest, and Paladin, so I expect the four of them would have C'Thun cards at the minimum.

If they each have two C'Thun cards that might make sense as well.

Levi

Banned
In all seriousness this is exactly the sort of thing enabled by the Standard format concept. They can really dive deep on the theme and encourage very thematic decks which are viable without having to meticulously support the legacy game.

Obviously we have tons of expansion left to be seen, but this is what most Magic + Hearthstone players were probably hoping for when we heard about the format change.

I didn't think I could be anymore excited for Standard, and now I am!

Now that long wait is that much worse. :(

georly

Well, the classes most associated with lasting to the end game are Warrior, Druid, Priest, and Paladin, so I expect the four of them would have C'Thun cards at the minimum.

If they each have two C'Thun cards that might make sense as well.

Would be cool if the two c'thun cards didn't work well with each other - like you choose one or the other but probably not both - because they warrant different deck builds/styles. Not sure what card would make that happen, but it's possible. One control, one aggro, or something like that.

balanced shield maiden. Seriously the current one is too good.
Most of those armor-gaining cards are pretty strong, but I don't think they're too good. Shield Maiden is pushing it.

So hunter C'thun card will shitty no matter what right? Best case is a MC like effect f for traps but I would guess it will be something really bad.
If C'thun has 10 attack or more, your traps now cost 1 less.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would be cool if the two c'thun cards didn't work well with each other - like you choose one or the other but probably not both - because they warrant different deck builds/styles. Not sure what card would make that happen, but it's possible. One control, one aggro, or something like that.

It's hard for me to envision an aggro C'Thun deck built around a bunch of vanilla stats minions and playing a 10 cost card.

I just want to summon a 30/30 C'Tun on turn 12 and then somehow grant it charge and end the game. Just a big ol' fuck you to the other guy.

That would be fun.

Also wait until we get a C'Thun hunter card...

georly

It's hard for me to envision an aggro C'Thun deck built around a bunch of vanilla stats minions and playing a 10 cost card.

I was just thinking of opposite deck types as an example, but yes, I agree.

Edit: What happens if you mindgames cthun? Obviously battlecry doesn't happen, but does it retain the stats or reset to 6/6?

Edit 2: I know cthun cards won't be in arena, but if you get elyse in arena, is cthun one that can pop up after monkey? Arena is wild, so all legendaries should pop up. I guess not, right? I assume cthun cards don't come up in discover, either. Or is it strictly just not going to appear in draft, but they can pop out of random effects?

Crosseyes

Banned
For a hunter to use a 10 mana card it would need a real end all card to help it become control oriented. Something like if C'thun has 10 or more attack your hero power can now target only minions.

greepoman

If C'thun has 10 attack or more, your traps now cost 1 less.

How about 6 mana 6/6...if C'thun has 10 attack or more, put ALL of your secrets/traps into the battlefield. And yes that means possibly 2 of each! And you thought secret pally was annoying ...wait til you see hunter.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I was just thinking of opposite deck types as an example, but yes, I agree.

Edit: What happens if you mindgames cthun? Obviously battlecry doesn't happen, but does it retain the stats or reset to 6/6?

What happens if you use mind games against a shaman who played Mistcaller? Probably the same thing, whatever that is.

I just hope the warlock card will be usable and not something stupid like do 5 damage to your hero
Play 2 Flame Imps
Play 2 Wrathguards that eventually get killed.
Play 2 Pitlords

Congratulations, you dealt 22 damage to yourself and probably lost the game.

It's just horrific.

Wow this guy utterly thrashed my deck in arena. My only plan was to throw out a dreadsteed, take the damage, and clear all his guys with 1 health with shadowflame the next turn, and he pulls a lights champion. It is the only time I have seen that card work in arena, and holy hell did it counter it perfectly.

Playing C'Thun?

Seriously though. Once you play C'Thun at that size his impact on the board is as big as deathwing except you don't lose your hand.

Or your existing board.

What happens if you use mind games against a shaman who played Mistcaller? Probably the same thing, whatever that is.

You just get a plain copy of that card, no Mistcaller buff. It's the same thing if a Shaman gets a card pulled onto the battlefield by Deathlord, just a vanilla card without the buff.

embalm

When I started this game two months ago, I loved Arena because I thought it was a balanced and fair playing field where new players could shine. What I've discovered is that it is even more RNG-based than constructed because the card options you get are so skewed. One person will get multiple epics and legendaries that win the match, like Dr. Boom or Tirion, and another will get nothing at all. At that point, you're mostly just seeing who has the better deck.

Arena would be so much more respectable if, at least, each player always got the same number of rare/epic/legendary draws. Yeah, it wouldn't be perfect, since cards vary in quality among the rarities, but it would be better than what we have now.
This just isn't true. I know it seems that way because you are newer, but there are many common cards that beat legendaries. In addition to that legendary, epic and some rare cards are pretty terrible in arena because they often have niche synergy. You rarely lose to a deck purely on card value. When you do it's usually good commons and rares though, not legendary cards.

Arena is the place to go for a fair playing field, especially if you have a small card collection. At two months of experience you are just not as good as the majority of people who play that format. They have 2 years of experience and have had time to analyze every single card as they released. They also have hundreds of more games played than you.

Also Arena can easily be shown to be skill based. If it wasn't we wouldn't have players who can run it infinity, averaging over 7+ wins per run.

So give arena a few more chances. It's a very rewarding format that depends on good drafting skill(or help from a draft program) and knowledge of the game's basic mechanics such as tempo, card advantage, and trading.

Dahbomb

You know what I like about this expansion so far?

No disgusting Deathrattle minions or massive RNG swing cards.

I guess Cthun is a RNG based card but sending that many bolts out kinda minimizes the impact of RNG. You are bound to hit some minions with it.

This just isn't true. I know it seems that way because you are newer, but there are many common cards that beat legendaries. In addition to that legendary, epic and some rare cards are pretty terrible in arena because they often have niche synergy. You rarely lose to a deck purely on card value. When you do it's usually good commons and rares though, not legendary cards.

Arena is the place to go for a fair playing field, especially if you have a small card collection. At two months of experience you are just not as good as the majority of people who play that format. They have 2 years of experience and have had time to analyze every single card as they released. They also have hundreds of more games played than you.

Also Arena can easily be shown to be skill based. If it wasn't we wouldn't have players who can run it infinity, averaging over 7+ wins per run.

So give arena a few more chances. It's a very rewarding format that depends on good drafting skill(or help from a draft program) and knowledge of the game's basic mechanics such as tempo, card advantage, and trading.
I've done at least 6 arena runs with Dahbomb coaching me, and he can't believe the bullshit decks people have all the time. The game is tempo-based until around turn 6, and then it starts to be about top decking a game-winning card, and if you haven't had the fortune to get any of those during the card selection process, GG.

Also, if the game wasn't about the RNG, you wouldn't have everyone trying to play Paladin and Mage in Arena. If it was really about skill, it would just be your personal preference. I get that Arena forces you to learn the game, but I don't think the drafting aspect is respectable.

Don't forget the master strat of Brann + Flame Imp.
I prefer Baron + Chow, personally.

I guess Cthun is a RNG based card but sending that many bolts out kinda minimizes the impact of RNG. You are bound to hit some minions with it.
They should let you target the damage like a shumps game. Just click on cards and watch lasers go everywhere.

Apathy

I like that warrior card. Plus the art looks cool in golden form. That said, wonder hour many cards are going to be replacements for the stuff that's leaving

V-Faction

This is more like the C'Thun and Friends Show. Where's the Saronite Ore? Where's my Sha? Where's What Lurks Below the Depths?

Where's the Fresh Prince of Ny'alotha!?

I don't know how powerful C'Thun is supposed to be when you play it but it looks like he's supposed to clear out someone's board and do face damage when you've properly buffed him, so not a lot of RNG in most cases.

Dahbomb

I don't know how powerful C'Thun is supposed to be when you play it but it looks like he's supposed to clear out someone's board and do face damage when you've properly buffed him, so not a lot of RNG in most cases.
It's like playing an Avenging Wrath with a solid body.

Avenging Wrath is good at clearing trash low HP minions but struggles against multiple large minions. Sometimes you can get lucky.

There's also the question of greed. Maybe you are at 10 mana with Cthun in hand. Do you wait to get more buffs on it or do you play it right there to gain a big lead in the game?

Also, if the game wasn't about the RNG, you wouldn't have everyone trying to play Paladin and Mage in Arena.

This isn't about RNG, it's that those classes have the best cards that work in arena. Argent protector is amazingly good, same with shielded minibot, and turning an iron bark into a 3-3 is great. Mage has flamestrike that can turn the game around. These are all things that can be worked around, just look at your curve when picking cards.

Tomcat

All the yt videos lately from kripp (except that nerf one) have been awful. Just some small talk about a boring happening or card from arena plays and then 20min of him playing arena. I know that he puts every day new content but all this does more damage than good. At least for me I guess since I don't want to watch him any more.

p.s. Its funny that forsen tries this season to convince us that he knows how to play hearthstone. Never legend lol

This isn't about RNG, it's that those classes have the best cards that work in arena. Argent protector is amazingly good, same with shielded minibot, and turning an iron bark into a 3-3 is great. Mage has flamestrike that can turn the game around. These are all things that can be worked around, just look at your curve when picking cards.
It's about the RNG of whether you get those cards or not. Not every Mage gets Flamestrike, but you can bet your butt that the Mages that Flamestrike have a significant advantage.

It's about the RNG of whether you get those cards or not. Not every Mage gets Flamestrike, but you can bet your butt that the Mages that Flamestrike have a significant advantage.

This is true, but in arena you also expect every mage to have it on turn 7, so you don't unload your hand before that, or make sure if you put a minion down, it doesn't die to flamestrike.

Dahbomb

I get bored by random Arena game Kripp videos.

I want more "how good/bad is" videos from Kripp. Or just classic rant/salt tirade videos for entertainment.

This is true, but in arena you also expect every mage to have it on turn 7, so you don't unload your hand before that, or make sure if you put a minion down, it doesn't die to flamestrike.
Yeah, but then you get the Paladins with two Consecrates, Tirion, Muster, Truesilver, and Minibots. It's really hard to "outplay" something like that if your options were weak.

I get bored by random Arena game Kripp videos.

I want more "how good/bad is" videos from Kripp. Or just classic rant/salt tirade videos for entertainment.
I like experimental deck videos.

You know me!

Mage isn't just Flamestrike, though. Like Paladin, Mages have a ton of ridiculous common and basic cards. Fireball, Snow Chugger, Water Elemental, Flame Cannon, Frost Bolt, and Polymorph are also common cards that are ridiculous in arena. They also have one of the best hero powers.

Sheroking

I mean... the RNG of the draft is the entire founding point of the Arena.

Not sure what the problem is.

I mean... the RNG of the draft is entirely the point of Arena, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.
Everyone else keeps telling me it's all about skill, so it looks like you agree with me.

Mage isn't just Flamestrike, though. Like Paladin, Mages have a ton of ridiculous common and basic cards. Fireball, Snow Chugger, Water Elemental, Flame Cannon, Frost Bolt, and Polymorph are also common cards that are ridiculous in arena. They also have one of the best hero powers.
I know it - that's my point!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's like playing an Avenging Wrath with a solid body.

Avenging Wrath is good at clearing trash low HP minions but struggles against multiple large minions. Sometimes you can get lucky.

There's also the question of greed. Maybe you are at 10 mana with Cthun in hand. Do you wait to get more buffs on it or do you play it right there to gain a big lead in the game?

C'Thun's effect will probably be at least 50% more effective than Avenging Wrath when it hits the board. It will clear most trash and only big minions might remain. He's basically Deathwing Tier when it comes to effecting the board state but you don't pay the huge cost of losing your hand.

Yeah, but then you get the Paladins with two Consecrates, Tirion, Muster, Truesilver, and Minibots. It's really hard to "outplay" something like that if your options were weak.

True, but you most likely picked something that didn't have good synergy in arena. I mean, you can blame RNG all you want, but I can tell you my picks and my strategies have improved significantly the more I play it. Cards I thought were amazing because I built decks around them are not as good in arena, and cards I thought were worthless turned out to be very good. I used to get around 3 wins on average, now im around 5-6, with many going to 7 and allowing me to continue playing

Top Bottom