• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Did the update break anyone else's mobile version? Pink screen for me.

As someone who does work in software testing - for Blizzard, no less - your posts just make me shake my head. I don't think you realize how impractical what you're insisting on really is. And again, for no upside, as other posters have explained very well.
It's impractical to try and make every card in the game worth using? There's no upside to that?

Okay.

greepoman

Had druid quest...fired up combo druid. God this deck can do disgusting things. Guy Reno's turn 7 after I drop emperor and he can't clear it. Then I go innervate combo double roar for 31 damage lol.

So anyone know if the new pally hero is a limited time thing and how long? Is she worth it?

I hate how much space Hearthstone takes up on mobile.

Great excuse to get a new phone!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
God the noob zones in WoW are full of people lvling... going to take me 3 hours just to get to lvl 15.

I've been leveling a worgen. Most quests aren't so bad but every once in awhile you're competing for spawns and it suuucks.

sibarraz

Banned
Anyone want to create a party so we could make a dungeon or something fast?

YsepPbF.jpg

I think I'll wait a week or so before trying it. I've never played WoW and I don't want to make my first experience a terrible one.

I might be biased, but I don't really think attempting to rush to level 20 is the best way to first experience WoW. I think its better if you attempt to take it all in.

Had some Patron Warrior who couldn't spell add me and hurl abuse about the deck I was playing. And it was all in capital letters, too.

He deleted me after I replied "Love you too, toots xxx".

While finding out about the Lady Liadrin achievement bug, I noticed a few people mention pink screens on the forums. Guess it's a known issue.

Celegus

Great excuse to get a new phone!

This is my first smartphone and only a couple months old though (just never had enough of a use for one to justify the price). This whole internal storage thing was a pretty rude awakening. I'm really not sure I can get this update to install.

I've been leveling a worgen. Most quests aren't so bad but every once in awhile you're competing for spawns and it suuucks.

Is this because of the Hearthstone promotion or has this always been this bad? I gotta say the Starter Edition is pretty terrible when I compare it to FFXIV's which basically allowed you to play 99% of the game for two weeks.

Is this because of the Hearthstone promotion or has this always been this bad? I gotta say the Starter Edition is pretty terrible when I compare it to FFXIV's which basically allowed you to play 99% of the game for two weeks.

It's 100% because of the promotion. I haven't seen leveling zones this active since Burning Crusade came out almost a decade ago. I've heard Blood Elf and Draenei starting zones still have increased spawn rates for enemies because of the massive influx from when BC started but I dunno if its still true

edit: actually the last time there was a lot of people in starting zones was probably when Mists of pandaria came out in the starting zones where races that could be monks were but I wasn't playing at the start of Mists

all cards aren't supposed to be worth using.
Poor design decision.

Had pink screen issue too. Clearing the app data and cache fixed it for me.
Thank you!

The only worthwhile thing in that link is the response from Sirlin in the first post, which is 100% correct:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/393712-loe-malygos-shaman

A few excerpts:
One genre of game is notable for intentionally creating an enormous number of useless options: collectable card games. Even though Magic: The Gathering has many good design concepts and several viable decks at any given time, when we judge it on how much chaff it has—cards/decks that aren't viable in the tournament environment—it's one of the worst situations of just about any game.

MTG’s Mark Rosewater defends the intentional inclusion of bad cards for design reasons, but really it's entirely marketing driven. Their business is to put a collectable barrier between you and the the cards you want so as to sell more packs of those cards. That means mountains of chaff cards are inventible.

It makes a lot more sense to say that Blizzard wants to keep most cards bad to encourage people to spend money than to claim that bad cards somehow help players learn the game.

Saying the game would not have enough strategy if bad cards were removed is an insult to Mark’s own game.
I think this claim was made earlier about Hearthstone, too.

While Sirlin has made questionable balance decisions in the past, his theoretical knowledge is always right on point. I'm glad you forwarded me that line of bad excuses from Mark Rosewater, because now I have this beautiful Sirlin article to link to the next time this comes up.

Well, bought the pre-purchase 50 packs.

Maybe I'm a sucker but I don't ever intend on playing wild so it makes sense to jump on the deal for the new stuff. Helps that I only had to pay $41 for it as well, and even $5 kicked back after purchase on top of that.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

It's impractical to try and make every card in the game worth using? There's no upside to that?

Okay.

Yes. Wholly impractical. And, again, for no value. There's no point to Candylanding the game. Believe it or not, "bad" cards have their place.

sibarraz

Banned
Is impossible to had all the cards to being "good"

For example arena has show that there is a lot of cards that are considered bad on constructed that are excellent-good on arena. This cards are considered bad on arena because there are more optimized options on constructed, and new expansions while always make cards worthless or excellent (Like secret paladin, from one day to another people discovered that paladin secrets could work, and I'm not necesarily talking about them dropping all at once, I had won and lost using and playing against secret paladin without using MC, just playing the correct secrets at the correct time)

That's like asking for none of the cards to be too strong, with so many cards in the game it is impossible for all of them to be usable since you can only really fit 30 cards in a deck.
I think that it's possible, with 9 classes, for the vast majority of the game's cards to find little niche places in decks. I mean, right now I see Piloted Shredder and Knife Juggler in 80% of my matches. I think there's a lot of love to be spread.

Especially when you consider the game from a combo standpoint rather than just tempo. There could be so many odd little decks that work because of new combos instead of the mass of filler stat-only cards no one uses.

Is impossible to had all the cards to being "good"

For example arena has show that there is a lot of cards that are considered bad on constructed that are excellent-good on arena. This cards are considered bad on arena because there are more optimized options on constructed, and new expansions while always make cards worthless or excellent (Like secret paladin, from one day to another people discovered that paladin secrets could work, and I'm not necesarily talking about them dropping all at once, I had won and lost using and playing against secret paladin without using MC, just playing the correct secrets at the correct time)
I can totally understand some cards being good in arena, but not constructed. I would not call those cards terrible. Then there are the cards that you pray you don't even get in Arena.

Mannnn any advice for someone that wants to start ranked games ? I pretty much have a complete control,fatigue and dragon patron warriors decks... Do people tend to stick with one class and deck ?

I also have Malyrogue and an Anyfin Pal

;_; i wanna try to do well with people and shit

jgminto

Mannnn any advice for someone that wants to start ranked games ? I pretty much have a complete control,fatigue and dragon patron warriors decks... Do people tend to stick with one class and deck ?

I also have Malyrogue and an Anyfin Pal

;_; i wanna try to do well with people and shit
What are your most common match ups?

The Adder

Banned
As a player, I would find value in all of my cards being good. QED.

If you have a game wherein you can have 30 cards in a deck, with up to 2 copies of any given card in the deck, and you make 16 cards, it doesn't matter how good you make them all, one of those cards is the worst, and therefore, unplayable.

If you have a game wherein you can have 30 cards in a deck, with up to 2 copies of any given card in the deck, and you make 16 cards, it doesn't matter how good you make them all, one of those cards is the worst, and therefore, unplayable.
If people only played one deck, you would be right.

The Adder

Banned
If people only played one deck, you would be right.

So, Kars, fighting games have far fewer moving parts and variables than CCGs. They are infinitely easier to balance. So why don't I see Seans top 8ing in 3S? Or Ganondorfs in Melee or 4. It's unquestionably easier to balance a fighter, so why aren't characters perfectly balanced?

So, Kars, fighting games have far fewer moving parts and variables than CCGs. They are infinitely easier to balance. So why don't I see Seans top 8ing in 3S? Or Ganondorfs in Melee or 4. It's unquestionably easier to balance a fighter, so why aren't characters perfectly balanced?
Because you're referencing 2/3 old games that didn't get any balance updates. Duh?

Smash 4 is designed by Sakurai, and he doesn't take the game all that seriously on a competitive level.

Edit: As I post this, apparently Smash 4 got a new patch with Ganondorf buffs. lol.

Mulgrok

Twisted Jackson

6 mana
6/4

If you have no duplicate cards remaining in your deck, all heroes can NOT be healed.

gimme

EDIT: card text would be an aura that is in effect while the card is in play until removed or silenced.

Twisted Jackson

6 mana
6/4

If you have no duplicate cards remaining in your deck, all heroes can NOT be healed.

gimme

EDIT: card text would be an aura that is in effect while the card is in play until removed or silenced.
Twisted Jackson:
2 mana
0/1

If your opponent has summoned Reno Jackson this match, reduce your opponent's health to 0.

Dahbomb

Most cards in HS aren't bad/completely unusable unlike something like YGO or Magic. There are so many cases of strictly better versions of same cards in these other card games

After the riots that happenned from Evil Heckler and Ice Rager, I don't think Blizzard will be pulling that anytime soon.

The basic cards in HS are "meant" to be bad. They are like the white items you get in an RPG, they are meant to be progression tools. You want players to feel good when they replace their Reckless Rocketeer with Leeroy Jenkins. If the basic cards were competitive then there would be less incentive for players to play more and more importantly less incentive to buy packs. Yes, there is always the monetary aspect to having bad, basic cards... it's the nature of the business.

TGT didn't have a lot of these bad cards. I think the two cards everyone says are the worst are Mogor Champion and Poison Blade. Mogor Champion is exceedingly bad and I think Blizzard miscounted a stat on it based on how they have dealt with Ogre cards in past (they usually get one extra stat for the miss chance but they forgot for Mogor). Poison Blade is probably one mana too costly but as history has shown and through Tavern Brawls we know that a card like that can be game breaking so Blizzard made a conservative action with it. If Rogue got a weapons equivalent for prep then this card could see play I would imagine.

Though this is a discussion we have had before. I distinctly remember people defending why Blizzard doesn't nerf cards that often and then coming up with MTG examples ad nauseum. The counter argument was that not only has Blizzard done nerfs and buffs before but that the nature of the digital platform allows them to do this type of thing more easily. The design philosophies of MTG aren't wholefully applicable to HS. Now all those people who were fine with no nerfs have to hold that as Blizzard is about to nerf like 12 cards while also removing a huge chunk of cards from play (ie. banning them).

So the issue isn't whether Blizzard should nerf cards (they are for sure doing it as they have done so in the past) but whether they should buff cards. There's no point in buffing basic cards for the reasons I mentioned and there's no point in buffing non classic cards as they will get rotated out. However, I do think some cards from classic set can be looked at for potential buffs. And I can't imagine that Blizzard would be completely against it.

Most cards in HS aren't bad/completely unusable unlike something like YGO or Magic. There are so many cases of strictly better versions of same cards in these other card games

After the riots that happenned from Evil Heckler and Ice Rager, I don't think Blizzard will be pulling that anytime soon.

The basic cards in HS are "meant" to be bad. They are like the white items you get in an RPG, they are meant to be progression tools. You want players to feel good when they replace their Reckless Rocketeer with Leeroy Jenkins. If the basic cards were competitive then there would be less incentive for players to play more and more importantly less incentive to buy packs. Yes, there is always the monetary aspect to having bad, basic cards... it's the nature of the business.

TGT didn't have a lot of these bad cards. I think the two cards everyone says are the worst are Mogor Champion and Poison Blade. Mogor Champion is exceedingly bad and I think Blizzard miscounted a stat on it based on how they have dealt with Ogre cards in past (they usually get one extra stat for the miss chance but they forgot for Mogor). Poison Blade is probably one mana too costly but as history has shown and through Tavern Brawls we know that a card like that can be game breaking so Blizzard made a conservative action with it. If Rogue got a weapons equivalent for prep then this card could see play I would imagine.

Though this is a discussion we have had before. I distinctly remember people defending why Blizzard doesn't nerf cards that often and then coming up with MTG examples ad nauseum. The counter argument was that not only has Blizzard done nerfs and buffs before but that the nature of the digital platform allows them to do this type of thing more easily. The design philosophies of MTG aren't wholefully applicable to HS. Now all those people who were fine with no nerfs have to hold that as Blizzard is about to nerf like 12 cards while also removing a huge chunk of cards from play (ie. banning them).

So the issue isn't whether Blizzard should nerf cards (they are for sure doing it as they have done so in the past) but whether they should buff cards. There's no point in buffing basic cards for the reasons I mentioned and there's no point in buffing non classic cards as they will get rotated out. However, I do think some cards from classic set can be looked at for potential buffs. And I can't imagine that Blizzard would be completely against it.
I can respect that. The only thing I disagree with is the bolded line. Wild still matters; rotating out isn't an excuse.

Dahbomb

Wild doesn't matter in terms of balance (as far as Blizzard is concerned), that's why it's called "Wild". Only way I would imagine Blizzard fixing some Wild only issue if there was some game breaking deck exploit that allowed players to auto win matches sort of like how Raptor Rogue deck was at start (caused frequent disconnects for the other player).

Tarazet

I had two 60 gold quests both for Shaman/Warlock, plus a 40 gold quest to win 3 games with any class. Played Zoo (standard list with Darkbombs instead of Imp-losions) and won 5 in a row to win streak from 17 to 14. I just can't seem to summon the will to push into the lower ranks, though, even when I'm winning. I think the lowest I've ever gotten was somewhere around 7 and I only did that once. This despite the fact that I always seem to do pretty well on ladder with Patron, Druid or Zoo and enjoy playing them.

It's like a psychological block. I don't want to succeed too much.

Ridli

Took a break this last week to play the Division and now I come back to find I gotta log into WoW again? Guess I could probably tank my way through RFC, Deadmines, and Wailing Caverns to hit 20 real quick.

Shit.. This is exactly what they want me to do.

It's a shame Liadrin didn't get special tokens but I guess it would be too confusing/difficult to change all the Silver Hand Recruit interaction cards.

I had two 60 gold quests both for Shaman/Warlock, plus a 40 gold quest to win 3 games with any class. Played Zoo (standard list with Darkbombs instead of Imp-losions) and won 5 in a row to win streak from 17 to 14. I just can't seem to summon the will to push into the lower ranks, though, even when I'm winning. I think the lowest I've ever gotten was somewhere around 7 and I only did that once. This despite the fact that I always seem to do pretty well on ladder with Patron, Druid or Zoo and enjoy playing them.

It's like a psychological block. I don't want to succeed too much.
Question: what do you do in this game?

Most of my playtime is spent in ranked, and to me that's the meat of the game. Arena is okay, but once I found out how RNG-based it all was, I lost a lot of interest. So if you don't do a lot of ranked, what do you do?

Question applies for anyone else, too. I'm just curious about how people besides me spend their time playing this game.

Triz

Got my blood elf Paladin. Im not proud. That grind was hard after doing it so many times, and not touching WoW since Mists of Panderia.

Top Bottom