• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pity timer is separate from RNG. RNG is called pauedo random because they use a seed to generate the results, but the nature of RNG does not mean that the seed itself guarantees you a Legendary in 40 packs. That mechanic has to be specifically coded in by Blizzard.

Sorry, you're right, I meant Pseudo-random distribution, but actually looking at the data that doesn't seem right ether.

Tacitus_

Agreed. It's been the pattern so far. I just remember a quote from Ben about the team wanting to disrupt existing patterns in terms of adventures and expansions....

Doubt that they'd start with class legendaries. I'd guess that they sell a lot of packs because of them.

Had a brain fart, innervate and backstab and silence and a few others

Oh, of course. Really should go to bed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Class legendaries feels like one pattern that I don't see Blizzard doing away with in Expansions. The closest is giving some classes multiple legendaries at once, like Hunter. Maybe they could give some more out during an Adventure, right now adventures have only been Neutral legendaries.

Apathy

Class legendaries feels like one pattern that I don't see Blizzard doing away with in Expansions. The closest is giving some classes multiple legendaries at once, like Hunter. Maybe they could give some more out during an Adventure, right now adventures have only been Neutral legendaries.

Well in that instance where they gave Hunters Acidmaw and Dreadscale it seems it was because of lore reasons. I don't think someone will always get a one more legendary. They might split the twin emperors if they are legendary (although it could be like hunters and one class get both). We'll see.

Pooya

Mage legendary seems to be Khadgar, leaked from that voice actors list. Definitely happening. Maybe they are picking characters that are related to alt heroes this time. (Khadgar <-> Medivh). Warrior one could be Muradin.

Tacitus_

Khadgar also kicks out Jaina out of Dalaran for being an ass after returning there. I wonder if they'll acknowledge that.

well technically she leaves because Khadgar OKs Horde mages being there

Apathy

Mage legendary seems to be Khadgar, leaked from that voice actors list. Definitely happening. Maybe they are picking characters that are related to alt heroes this time. (Khadgar <-> Medivh). Warrior one could be Muradin.

I could see then picking hodir or thorim , although either one of those could be given as a legendary giant, but they fill some parts of ulduar/yog characters. I would prefer seeing saurfang as the hero legendary though. He actually fought during the opening of the AQ gates

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
All I said was that I think Arena's draft would be better if everyone got the same number of rare/epic/legendary draws. I don't think I have a "problem", I just think it would be an improvement on the current design.

The matches that frustrate me aren't the ones where I make mistakes, or where the opponent snowballs me. The matches that frustrate me are the ones where someone plays Tirion or some other god tier Arena card on a clear board, and I'm like "wow, I have zero options to deal with that and Ashbringer in my deck - GG".

That is definitely the case of me losing to a single card.

You're making the same errors in understanding that you did before where you argued you weren't outplayed. If you keep insisting that single cards constantly win the game for you opponents, you're never going to improve.

Pooya

Speaking of 3 exp and 3 adventures later. Can't wait to see the rogue cards this time around. Always the funniest cards. It's amazing that two years into HS, Blizzard has managed to get in a total of TWO (oil, tomb pillager) cards into constructed rogue decks and a third one that could introduce a new deck type recently is already useless because of deathrattles going out, lol.

They really have no idea what to do with that class. Someone asked Brode on his stream awhile back, what card took the longest/most revision in design stage, he replied probably some rogue card. They are really scared of what to give rogue for some reason. Every rogue deck now has like 15-20 fixed cards from classic/basic. I don't think anything will change now either.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Speaking of 3 exp and 3 adventures later. Can't wait to see the rogue cards this time around. Always the funniest cards. It's amazing that two years into HS, Blizzard has managed to get in a total of TWO (oil, tomb pillager) cards into constructed rogue decks and a third one that could introduce a new deck type recently is already useless because of deathrattles going out, lol.

They really have no idea what to do with that class. Someone asked Brode on his stream awhile back, what card took the longest/most revision in design stage, he replied probably some rogue card. They are really scared of what to give rogue for some reason. Every rogue deck now has like 15-20 fixed cards from classic/basic. I don't think anything will change now either.

People keep saying that Overload is a bad mechanic but I think Combo is way worse. The way you balance a combo card is by making it sub-optimal when played alone but you make it ridiculous when played after another card.

So you literally are balancing cards to be both underpowered and overpowered at the same time. To make matters worse, that really incentivizes rogue decks to play multiple cards per turn, which therefore requires that you have some kind of draw engine that can keep the gravy train running. Either that, or the pace of rogue requires that you alternate turns where you play zero cards versus turns where you go off on your combo.

It's no wonder that most constructed rogue decks are super awkward and difficult to play.

You're making the same errors in understanding that you did before where you argued you weren't outplayed. If you keep insisting that single cards constantly win the game for you opponents, you're never going to improve.
It's not an error in understanding. Opponent plays Tirion, and I am top decking with nothing left. It's not an error in play. Sometimes you don't have options. Sometimes I have 8 1-mana cards in my Zoo deck, and I don't get a single goddamn card with less than 3 mana in my draw even after pulling a mulligan on the whole hand. It's not my fault, and there are no other choices I can make when my Shaman opponent already has 3 minions on the board by the time I can play one, and I die by turn 6. It just happens, and it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise - we've all been there, and Arena isn't any different.

If both players play the board equally well through the first half-dozen turns, one player having good high-mana legendary drops absolutely seals the deal in this game. Even when people here draft decks and get lucky hands, people say things like "That's a 12-win deck", and they're right, because they can recognize that someone got blessed by RNGesus in this game. I really wish you would stop pretending this game doesn't have the flaws it has. This is the same as when you said spending money doesn't give you an advantage in this game, and you stopped posting when I had clearly won that argument as well.

I don't plan on continuing this conversation with you further, based on what I have said above. You are welcome to respond as you like.

Mulgrok

3-1 in arena with a not very good mage draft (no board clears)

Paladin Opponent plays:
2 aldor
2 muster
2 truesilver
2 kings
2 piloted shredder
2 shielded mini-bot
consecrate
keeper of uldaman

how the hell did he lose a game...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
People keep saying that Overload is a bad mechanic but I think Combo is way worse. The way you balance a combo card is by making it sub-optimal when played alone but you make it ridiculous when played after another card.

So you literally are balancing cards to be both underpowered and overpowered at the same time. To make matters worse, that really incentivizes rogue decks to play multiple cards per turn, which therefore requires that you have some kind of draw engine that can keep the gravy train running. Either that, or the pace of rogue requires that you alternate turns where you play zero cards versus turns where you go off on your combo.

It's no wonder that most constructed rogue decks are super awkward and difficult to play.

I'd really hope this patch makes Fatigue Rogue viable, it has a ton of tools available, but it just hasn't come together yet.

Owzers

Priest three win quest.....might as well play the brawl i hate and go for divine/inner combos along with summoning stones/holy champs. Awkward 50% win ratio but it's done.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's not an error in understanding. Opponent plays Tirion, and I am top decking with nothing left. It's not an error in play. Sometimes you don't have options. Sometimes I have 8 1-mana cards in my Zoo deck, and I don't get a single goddamn card with less than 3 mana in my draw even after pulling a mulligan on the whole hand. It's not my fault, and there are no other choices I can make when my Shaman opponent already has 3 minions on the board by the time I can play one, and I die by turn 6. It just happens, and it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise - we've all been there, and Arena isn't any different.

If both players play the board equally well through the first half-dozen turns, one player having good high-mana legendary drops absolutely seals the deal in this game. Even when people here draft decks and get lucky hands, people say things like "That's a 12-win deck", and they're right, because they can recognize that someone got blessed by RNGesus in this game. I really wish you would stop pretending this game doesn't have the flaws it has. This is the same as when you said spending money doesn't give you an advantage in this game, and you stopped posting when I had clearly won that argument as well.

I don't plan on continuing this conversation with you further, based on what I have said above. You are welcome to respond as you like.

You should consider that if you are top decking and your opponent isn't, you are already losing.

It's possible you over committed earlier in the game when you might have held a card or two back. Maybe that's why you have literally no answer to a big drop. Or some cards are just really strong, that's fine. But it can be some of both.

Paladin Opponent plays:
2 aldor
2 muster
2 truesilver
2 kings
2 piloted shredder
2 shielded mini-bot
consecrate
keeper of uldaman

I feel you.

You should consider that if you are top decking and your opponent isn't, you are already losing.

It's possible you over committed earlier in the game when you might have held a card or two back. Maybe that's why you have literally no answer to a big drop. Or some cards are just really strong, that's fine. But it can be some of both.
Both top decking, both playing pure tempo exchange until that point.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

I appreciate the completely unnecessary permission, lol

And I don't think you won that argument. Sounds like, as when you continue to argue as you do, that you're hearing what you want to hear.

I feel you.

Both top decking, both playing pure tempo exchange until that point.

Why are you playing like that if you don't have a broken card?

I agree sometimes you get smashed by a better deck, but it really comes down to knowing your win condition. Losing should be a result of going for how you expect to win and getting rekt by a counter play or bad luck. It isn't that your opponent played Tirion, it is that you didn't draw A, B and C in time to finish the game.

Adjust your draft accordingly.

Basically if you don't have bullshit, always expect bullshit is coming and take massive risks. Then prey to the gambling gods.

Idea to 100% improve this game:
Let me disable a quest if I want to. Don't make me choose between not playing and getting a 40g quest reward. :(

Why are you playing like that if you don't have a broken card?

I agree sometimes you get smashed by a better deck, but it really comes down to knowing your win condition. Losing should be a result of going for how you expect to win and getting rekt by a counter play or bad luck. It isn't that your opponent played Tirion, it is that you didn't draw A, B and C in time to finish the game.

Adjust your draft accordingly.

Basically if you don't have bullshit, always expect bullshit is coming and take massive risks. Then prey to the gambling gods.
My last two drafts were pretty terrrible. Trust me, I love taking massive risks. I will often go for the 2-turn kill if it's there. I freak Dahbomb out all the time, and then he scolds me even when it works out. :p

That said, it's never the game's fault when I take those risks and it doesn't work out.

Fireblend

Banned
I think we should all take a breath and remember this is a children's card game.

A children's card game I'm considering spending $50 on.

I mean, it's $40 with Amazon coins... and I get roughly $5 back...

Fuck

I think we should all take a breath and remember this is a children's card game.

Fuck
That card back?

I want to get my entire family using Google Opinion Rewards so I can spend it on Hearthstone. :p

fertygo

Paladin Opponent plays:
2 aldor
2 muster
2 truesilver
2 kings
2 piloted shredder
2 shielded mini-bot
consecrate
keeper of uldaman

Roque actually body me when I had 3 uldaman 2 Aldor draft, they just snipe you from midrange instead play large body.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Fuck

9gS6LEL.gif

Yeah that is a fair point. You could certainly make conceded games not count though.

Then people would just let the opponent win. I certainly would to avoid playing ranked or casual.

That said, some sort of bonus for going longer than 10 turns and losing would help a few things.

Magnus

Canadians -- what's the smartest way for us to preorder the expansion? Via US funds through the desktop client? Through the iTunes store using the CDN value ($69.99 I think it was?), or is there some kind of third option like Amazon Coins for us? I don't know how any of that shit works. Fuck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seeing the new class epics and legendary minions during the slow drip TGT reveals was kind of exciting. Hoping for the same here....any word on whether there'll be class legendaries?
Khagdar was in the Japanese card leak, and given that the previous two archmage cards added to the game were Mage Legendaries, presumably he is too.

It would be odd for Mage to get a new Legendary without the other classes getting one too.

So I recently just started ranked games after building 3 warrior decks and more back up decks.

So far, I haven't lost a game except against priest.

Running a Dragon Patron Warrior and at 23 right now. Pretty sure skillcap will increase soon and I might start transitioning to my Control Warrior if that happens.

So my friend recently challenged me to a battle. He was a priest with deathlords, cabal priests, acolytes and etc. He also had Auschenai was it? Any tips for me If I ran like mainly warrior decks?

he keeps controlling my acolytes and armorsmith. and he overwhelms the board. I'm guessing I'm better off running Control Warrior instead of Dragon Patron Warrior?

Do you mean against Paladin?

Both.

Paladin was my most hated class in WoW when I played, and now it's my most hated class in HearthStone.

I just have the worst draw luck. I also had a game in the bag when my dog had to go out and I lost momentum since I gave the other guy a free turn.

I just want to get all the class cards so I can start building decks!

Apathy

What?

I haven't lost a game yet that didn't go 15+ turns. And most of my wins took just as long. What's your deck?

I put together a murloc paladin deck, winning between turn 4 and 11 (yeah I know thats some huge spread)

Lol watching Kripp, some guy hes playing put down a summoning stone and had like 4 tree's of life, and just went ham with them

Tarazet

12-1 with Zoo so far in the Tavern Brawl. The loss was against a Druid who I faced twice, so I can say I've defeated everyone I met. There's no point in running any spells when you're just going to get them from minions. So why not play the best cheapie minion deck? Oh, and run extra 4's because free Fireballs are always a great thing. I also had fun with a game where I pulled Astral Communion from a Shredder.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/453316-tol-barad-zoo

Top Bottom