• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

jgminto

Turn 2 glaivezooka is extremely common, but also later in the game having a weapon equipped and playing camel.

Or brave hunter to work off inspire for bonus hero power damage. Leper gnome as well. The stealthed worgen. There are a couple 1 drops that could justify including camel in hunter.

Well I meant having the Glaivezooka and also drawing that specific 1-drop since if you're running Southsea, it's in a Face/Hybrid deck and there a pretty high number of 1-drops there. Stealth Worgen would be ok but I don't think you'd want Brave Hunter played early. I don't have much experience with the card but it seems like it's useful to save for closing out the game.

Well I meant having the Glaivezooka and also drawing that specific 1-drop since if you're running Southsea, it's in a Face/Hybrid deck and there a pretty high number of 1-drops there. Stealth Worgen would be ok but I don't think you'd want Brave Hunter played early. I don't have much experience with the card but it seems like it's useful to save for closing out the game.

You're not really spending anything though, so there is nothing to hold on to. You drop camel and you get 1 more card out of your deck that you definitely wouldn't have gotten to anyway because you're never decking out as a face hunter anyway. Compare it to fel reaver, those cards discarded mean nothing because you wouldn't have drawn through your entire deck playing normally anyway but if you had you most likely would have lost regardless.

And for camel it is the same concept except you get to play that card for free. It not only thins your deck by 1 card, it is a 1 mana card that you most likely aren't interested in drawing late in the game anyway. This means your more important cards are slightly more likely to be drawn. Even if your 1 drop sucks, it means your 1 drop will not be a top deck where it sucks even more.

Pooya

Reading their comment on secret paladin from the panel, man this seems really dumb. They want to have a meta where everyone tries to target one deck??? How is that a good thing...

I was thinking about the camel and maybe you want to play it a midrange deck with only webspinner. The idea is that you play the camel on your third turn and get on board one of the two webspinner that probably is still in the deck. By doing this you get value from just having the one drop on board, from recycling the webspinner thanks to its deathrattle and from not drawing it in the late game. Also, like Kripp said in his last video, the camel is a solid body to play houndmaster on it. So you play camel and the turn after houndmaster.
The real problem is undertstanding how much value you are giving to your opponent and if it's worth it for you.

Pooya

What are you reading exactly? Can you provide link please.

it's from heathpwn frontpage.

•They like to create build around cards, especially when they encourage you to use weaker cards. Mysterious Challenger.
•They're watching Mysterious Challenger closely.
•Now with Patron Warrior out of the way, players can make decks to fight against secret paladin.

Basically previously everyone was trying to target Patron, now you can target secret paly instead! amazing...

it's from heathpwn frontpage.

•They like to create build around cards, especially when they encourage you to use weaker cards. Mysterious Challenger.
•They're watching Mysterious Challenger closely.
•Now with Patron Warrior out of the way, players can make decks to fight against secret paladin.

Basically previously everyone was trying to target Patron, now you can target secret paly instead! amazing...

I think you're misapprehending what the text says. All they're saying is that a deck's impact is reduced when people build their decks to beat it. This is how card games work though. You build strong decks to target other decks. This is not a bad thing. It promotes deck building, the most skillful aspect in hearthstone imo. Pilotting the deck still takes a lot of skill, but I think building one is harder and takes even more time than learning how to pilot it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think you're misapprehending what the text says. All they're saying is that a deck's impact is reduced when people build their decks to beat it. This is how card games work though. You build strong decks to target other decks. This is not a bad thing. It promotes deck building, the most skillful aspect in hearthstone imo. Pilotting the deck still takes a lot of skill, but I think building one is harder and takes even more time than learning how to pilot it.

It is a bad thing if every deck has to build around one. That's an unbalanced meta and it limits the decks that you can actually experiment with. It's the same problem as Patron, just not quite as miserable.

Pooya

I think you're misapprehending what the text says. All they're saying is that a deck's impact is reduced when people build their decks to beat it. This is how card games work though. You build strong decks to target other decks.

I don't think so... "other decks" right emphasize on plural. That's the idea.

This is not a bad thing. It promotes deck building, the most skillful aspect in hearthstone imo. Pilotting the deck still takes a lot of skill, but I think building one is harder and takes even more time than learning how to pilot it.

I think it's a bad thing if you're building decks just to beat that ONE deck that is too strong and dominant, it kills variety.

Targetting an archetype is fine, targeting secret paly as the goal isn't.
You will have meta consisting of that one deck and others who try to beat it, I don't think that's fine or fun ever.

Kangi

Played some Control Warrior, though it's missing some legendaries. Got matched against a Freeze Mage who didn't have the good sense to auto-concede.

"I love this deck!"

Got matched against another Control Warrior.

"I hate this deck!"

It is a bad thing if every deck has to build around one. That's an unbalanced meta and it limits the decks that you can actually experiment with. It's the same problem as Patron, just not quite as miserable.

The meta is not even nearly as secret heavy as you're suggesting. You can build a deck with a reasonable but under 50% winrate against secret paladin and do just fine. The meta is not nearly as static as people here suggest. There are times where secret paladin is extremely rare on ladder and times where you might just get unlucky and queue into 5 of them in a row. This is because the meta switches on a daily basis.

The problem with patron was just how strong it actually was. So it pushed out decks weak to it way too hard. Now patron is still strong but it pushes decks it is strong against much less than it used to. Even if patron was the top deck right now, you could still play those decks because you still have a reasonable chance to win.

zoukka

The camel is fine I think. Most decks do run at least 1 or 2 1 drops, zombie chow for example is going to be a big deterrent because it is bigger than any 1 drop hunter likely will be running. The small twist is that hunter can use their minion first if it is a charge minion or draw out an extra 2 damage off leper gnome.

In a way its really good because it thins your deck by 1 card and plays 2 minions, in another way it isn't a charge minion itself so... we'll see. I think it is among the top cards being introduced though. Could be that people decide the risk or meta is not worth running the card.

Face hunter will absolutely not play Camel ever, every card in face hunter deck needs to contribute to the game plan and camel is a dead topdick. And face hunter goes always to topdick mode in every match.

Slower hunter decks might play it since webspinner gives nice value if fetched.

V-Faction

It's a pretty nice coincidence that Joust, which is technically a Battlecry and not a keyword itself, can function with Brann but other keywords (Choose One; Combo; Overload) don't, even if they act like one.

Random thing about Camel, it kind of workstuff with King of Beasts. Granted, I can't think of many great 1 cost beasts but I'm just thinking of why a Hunter would want more bodies on the board.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The meta is not even nearly as secret heavy as you're suggesting. You can build a deck with a reasonable but under 50% winrate against secret paladin and do just fine. The meta is not nearly as static as people here suggest. There are times where secret paladin is extremely rare on ladder and times where you might just get unlucky and queue into 5 of them in a row. This is because the meta switches on a daily basis.

The problem with patron was just how strong it actually was. So it pushed out decks weak to it way too hard. Now patron is still strong but it pushes decks it is strong against much less than it used to. Even if patron was the top deck right now, you could still play those decks because you still have a reasonable chance to win.

Neither was Patron all that prevalent on ladder by the time they nerfed it. Hence Blizzards bad argument about why they didn't want to. That it wasn't that prevalent and only had a 50% winrate. The problem is that winrate is completely warped because it's a meta completely built around having to deal with a potential Patron. If a deck still wins 50% in that environment, it's a problem.

Secret Paladin is not as bad as that. But it's still influencing the meta more than it ought to, by virtue of being too strong and it's a constant threat regardless of how often it actually shows up.

Neither was Patron all that prevalent on ladder by the time they nerfed it. Hence Blizzards bad argument about why they didn't want to. That it wasn't that prevalent and only had a 50% winrate. The problem is that winrate is completely warped because it's a meta completely built around having to deal with a potential Patron. If a deck still wins 50% in that environment, it's a problem.

Secret Paladin is not as bad as that. But it's still influencing the meta more than it ought to, by virtue of being too strong and it's a constant threat regardless of how often it actually shows up.

Like I said last post, patron warrior was a problem due to the decks capabilities, hence nerfed. It wasn't because it pushed decks out of the meta, although it pointedly pushed way more out of the meta than secret paladin ever will. Patron warrior didn't even have any strong counters to it. Even handlock, lauded by some as a counter, was not really that favored.

I don't buy the whole "influence more than it ought to" because who determines that? The deck isn't nearly as good as people claim it is. It might be top deck, but the meta is self correcting. That is how the game is designed to be. There will always be a secret paladin tier deck and it will always influence the meta. That is working as intended.

I'm not even saying secret paladin shouldn't be nerfed, I'm a bit on the fence, but I don't buy this argument at least. If they nerfed based on that premise, then face hunter would have been nerfed out the ass months ago when it was incredibly popular and thus not building with face hunter in mind lead to poor results very often.

Pooya

Looking at adventure wings, all the good stuff is in the first two wings, all that 4 cards or so. I'm not sure why would you even get the last two wings.

Reno Jackson is the leg for the first wing, Brann for the second one. Unearthed Raptor and shaman cards if you want them are both in these two wings. Seems really easy right now. Good for my f2p account I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Looking at adventure wings, all the good stuff is in the first two wings, all that 4 cards or so. I'm not sure why would you even get the last two wings.

Reno Jackson is the leg for the first wing, Brann for the second one. Unearthed Raptor and shaman cards if you want them are both in these two wings. Seems really easy right now. Good for my f2p account I guess.

Pit Snake, Desert Camel, Eerie Statue, and Tomb Pillager?

Pooya

Pit Snake, Desert Camel, Eerie Statue, and Tomb Pillager?

all of them suck and are in the last wing seemingly, along with the ultimate gimmick legendary cards.

Third wings has some interesting cards alright, like the murloc spells and Entomb. It could be good if you're into those, I feel average player doesn't care.

ZealousD

Pit Snake answers basically every 2 drop except Mad Scientist and Shielded Minibot. I wouldn't underestimate it. Not saying it's insane but I could see it getting play.

Desert Camel's ability to cheat Kvaldir's Raider battlecry makes it potentially very powerful. Getting two 2/4's for 3 mana is insane if your opponent isn't running 1 drops, and even if they are, your 1-drop is better.

Eerie Statue is going to see play in some Handlock lists. That card is better than Ancient Watcher in sooo many circumstances. It absolutely does not suck.

Getting a coin is very good for Rogue. They have much better win rates when they go second. I think Tomb Pillager will see play for that reason, even if the stat distribution is not ideal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not sure i like Eeerie Statue for Handlock. The problem is it conflicts with Mountain Giant and Twilight Drake.

Maybe it could replace the Drake, since Drake is so vulnerable to Silence.

Goddamn I have to stop myself from opening packs so often. Should let me lock up the store button!

Eerie Statue seems alright.

It is basically an ancient watcher, but you can attack when there are 0 minions on board. Not just on your side, but on their side too.

I mean, I won't discount the card entirely for sure. Ancient watcher sees some use and has seen use in the past in other decks than handlock. But it seems like it would be bit more difficult to make use, even in place of ancient watcher, at 4 mana.

Pooya

Pit Snake answers basically every 2 drop except Mad Scientist and Shielded Minibot. I wouldn't underestimate it. Not saying it's insane but I could see it getting play.

Desert Camel's ability to cheat Kvaldir's Raider battlecry makes it potentially very powerful. Getting two 2/4's for 3 mana is insane if your opponent isn't running 1 drops, and even if they are, your 1-drop is better.

Eerie Statue is going to see play in some Handlock lists. That card is better than Ancient Watcher in sooo many circumstances. It absolutely does not suck.

Getting a coin is very good for Rogue. They have much better win rates when they go second. I think Tomb Pillager will see play for that reason, even if the stat distribution is not ideal.

It will never see play. Rogue has Buccaneer now which is way better and not just in turn 1 and doesn't see much play. Great for arena though sure.

You're way overrating that card. Hunter decks are so tight right now there is nothing to cut to fit a camel and some other 1 drop which will not even work consistently, only warriors are not running 1 drops right now anyway. That kind of deck might be good but it's a wildly different hunter deck than any existing ones.

Eerie statue is rubbish, the whole point of Ancient Watcher is that it's 2 mana, you can fit it in your curve easily along with a taunt giver or shadowflame. This one just sucks. No one is going to cut watcher or drakes for this ever.

Getting a coin for rogue is valuable in the opening, not so much in mid game, whatever benefit the coin gives is undermined by having a poor 4 drop. The card has no chance against violet teacher or shredder.

ZealousD

I'm not sure i like Eeerie Statue for Handlock. The problem is it conflicts with Mountain Giant and Twilight Drake.

Maybe it could replace the Drake, since Drake is so vulnerable to Silence.

I don't think Eerie Statue replaces Drake. It doesn't really compete with Drake in the same way that other cards of the same mana cost don't have to compete with each other. Haunted Creeper does not compete with Shielded Minibot or Mad Scientist. You have Eerie Statue as a drop option when you do not draw Twilight Drake or vice-versa. Mountain Giant is usually 5 mana when you drop it so I don't think it competes with Mountain Giant either.

Haly

The Handlock list is pretty tight. If Eerie goes in it's replacing something. Definitely not Voidcaller for Demonlock so what... Molten Giant? None of the AoE is replaceable, and it's not as good as any of the Legendaries. I'm not sure where it would fit, unless the meta changes a lot and they can cut Chows.

ZealousD

You're way overrating that card. Hunter decks are so tight right now there is nothing to cut to fit a camel and some other 1 drop which will not even work consistently, only warriors are not running 1 drops right now anyway. That kind of deck might be good but it's a wildly different hunter deck than any existing ones.

"You're way overrating that card. Aggro and Midrange Paladin decks are so tight right now there is nothing to cut to fit Mysterious Challenger and some bad secrets. That kind of deck might be good but it's a wildly differet Paladin deck than any existing ones."

Seriously, has nobody learned their lesson? Being able to cheat and pull cards from your deck is extraordinarily powerful. And while having a hungry dragon like effect mitigates the power somewhat, the potential upsides are seriously insane.

Kvaldir seems alright. Maybe not good enough though. I think the deck thinning strength is where the card's strength lies. 4/8 for 3 mana is pretty good though. Deck thinning is important for hunter due to having little card draw and just trying to curve out decent with quick hitting cards.

inky

It is basically an ancient watcher, but you can attack when there are 0 minions on board. Not just on your side, but on their side too.

I mean, I won't discount the card entirely for sure. Ancient watcher sees some use and has seen use in the past in other decks than handlock. But it seems like it would be bit more difficult to make use, even in place of ancient watcher, at 4 mana.

Yes, I understand the text.

Maybe not in place of X, but in a more taunt oriented deck. When zoo was rampant taunt decks did alright (Druid and Warlock), I can see it being good for a defensive approach. Not everything has to be tier 1 or fit right in into the top 4 current decks to be alright imo.

Pooya

The statue is never going to go in any handlock deck. Maybe druid plays it as a budget fel reaver for some maaybe.

"You're way overrating that card. Aggro and Midrange Paladin decks are so tight right now there is nothing to cut to fit Mysterious Challenger and some bad secrets. That kind of deck might be good but it's a wildly differet Paladin deck than any existing ones."

Seriously, has nobody learned their lesson? Being able to cheat and pull cards from your deck is extraordinarily powerful. And while having a hungry dragon like effect mitigates the power somewhat, the potential upsides are seriously insane.

This one drops something from your opponent deck too. Completely different here and everyone has 1 drops now. They opened with chow and you get their second chow out, not a great plan for an aggressive gameplan. Sure it's good against warrior.

Having two 2/4s on turns is cool, it's not all that insane as minibot, chows and muster still contest these. It's not bad or anything, but "omg this is the shit" is not.

G.ZZZ

Keeper of Uldaman is going to be a sleeper hit. At 3/4 stats, used as a buff on ur recruits, it's a 5/6 worth in stats, usually about the same as shredder, and 2/2 of those stats have pseudo-charge. It's also more versatile by being usable as a soft-removal on big minions. It could even make things like eggs more playable than they already are in pally (with scarlet purifier, blessing and this). Compared to blessing of kings, on a 1/1 it's 5/6 compared to 4/4 bonus stats, but only 2/2 have charge. I predict this card will be played in more aggressive pally lists and token pally lists. Midrange will still run Shredder as the best minion to be played on an empty board, and slower control will probably try it and play a mix with murloc (which however will be MUCH worse after the new adventure with 1/1 and 1/3 murlocs added to the pool).

So I'm trying to get back into the game after playing around launch and I'm having a hard time winning any games due to the sheer card differential from new(ish) players to long time players.

Anything I can do to ease this gap without dropping money?

ZealousD

Keeper of Uldaman is going to be a sleeper hit.

Possibly. If there is a weakness it is that it isn't great on an empty board and you might be forced to buff an enemy minion or something. I am not absolutely certain it replaces BoK but it might.

zoukka

Insane? The most insane situation is that you pull Kvaldir and opponent doesn't get anything. If the opponent gets something and you get Kvaldir, then that is a lot worse. And your deck (if it's aggressive) will most likely play other 1-drops beyond Kvaldir so it comes down to RNG and odds.

Not to mention your deck has a fucking Injured Kvaldir in it lulz.

The coin comes too late and Pillager trades badly.

It might not suck, but it does fill a different slot than Watcher though.

@TempoReynad: "I Fucked up"

Cannot wait to hear the drama that comes from this, probably got Eloise pregnant 4head

Lol i thought she friendzoned him.

GAF my next crafting choice is coming up

Justicar
Geddon
Gromm
Harrison
Black Knight
Chillmaw
Thalnos
Toshley

Im leaning most towards Justicar for Mid range Pally deck.

inky

Moving on to a more interesting discussion ;P

My beast Druid (meh) and my Spell Druid (<3) got 1 card each and I like them:

635824347747332514.png

Druid has been needing a good 3 drop for a while and this might just do it. I don't think it is as good as Shredder because I feel 1 costs are more inconsistent (haven't really checked, I could be wrong), but I generally prefer it to Druid of the Flame or Grove Tender. At least it will fit better for Druid's particular Beast strategy, where DotF and GT feel suited for strategies that aren't quite there yet.

635824330288768150.png

Before TGT I made a mock card to give Druids a class minion with spell damage (I also made it 4 cost) as I've been wanting that for a long time. It has a bigger drawback than I would've liked, but I think in the right situation it won't matter because you obviously want to make use of it right away. I imagine I will only find room for 1 copy and my deck is slow and not that great against the current meta, but I like the idea and will definitely try to make it work.

Oh, and yes:

635824325698354155.png

I like the versatility on this one. In the end I think these are decent additions to Druid. Nothing mindblowing, but options for those of us who don't like playing the braindead combo Druid.

/long post.

ZealousD

Not to mention your deck has a fucking Injured Kvaldir in it lulz.

I know right? It is almost as ridiculous of a concept as Paladins running repentance. And why would they ever do that?

Haly

Raven Idol could be used in Miracle Druid...
laugh.gif

inky

Miracle Druid was great ;_;

I still haven't crafted new Auctioneers since they nerfed them and I dusted them.

Haly

Is Token Druid still a thing? It'd be strictly worse than Aggro druid wouldn't it?

Top Bottom