• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If it wasn't removal it'd be worthless.
22379.gif

Keyword: Copy

I guess it's how you want to understand the word shuffle. As mentioned before, Entomb doesn't use the word 'Copy' at all either.

And sure it's an extra Mana compared to Assassinate, but you still have to re-draw that minion, which could be thrown the bottom of the deck. That minion can also delay another minion or a spell that could win you / swing the game in your favor.

It would say "destroys a minion"
But you're not destroying the minion, you're 'stealing' it.

Haly

BTW this functions as removal (and it's horrible):
12279.png

Standard Blizzard inconsistent card text.

Portugeezer

Copying a minion for 6 mana only for it to go into your deck seems like a waste, which is why I guess people assume it removes it from the board... in which case it would be crazy powerful.... so who knows.

Shadow Word on steroids.

Haly

It's probably Common to buff Priest's Arena. Apparently they care about Arena now after almost 2 years, so now we get some Arena-appropriate rarities.

Scarced

Neo Member

I mean, do people really think its assassinate on steroids for 1 more mana cost?

I believe it removes the card from the field, therefore not triggering deathrattles and what not, which isn't technically "destroying"

squidyj

2 attack means it can at least hurt the face a little bit if the opponent doesn't play minions for a turn or two in response. Patient Assassin is strictly a removal tool. Pit Snake is different.

Edit: Does Entomb remove the enemy card from the board? If so, that's an extremely powerful card.

it costs more mana than assassinate and convert is a card that already exists. what the hell do you people think you're paying for?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There is a 0 percent chance that Entomb does not remove the minion from the board. 6 mana is a LOT. Do you really think you're paying 6 mana for a shitty version of Gang Up?

Cat Party

Copying a minion for 6 mana only for it to go into your deck seems like a waste, which is why I guess people assume it removes it from the board... in which case it would be crazy powerful.... so who knows.

Shadow Word on steroids.

The big issue is whether the deathrattle triggers on the removed card. I assume it does not, which makes this a great card to me. It's like a worse mind control, but it costs 4 less.

inky

Deathrattle doesn't trigger, just like it doesn't with Recycle. That's the whole point.

And yea, Recycle sucks ass, that has always been the case.

Haly

4 mana, tops.

And Druid would have to go back to control.

Dahbomb

I would laugh my ass off if Entomb didn't remove the minion as well.

As powerful of a removal that is, it still probably won't see play because Hearthstone gonna Hearthstone.

And yeah Recycle was always a joke of a card. It's only use was in the Summoner Tavern Brawl.

how much would Recycle need to cost to be worthy of play?
Recycle would have to cost 4 AND either also draw a card or deal some face damage or ramp a mana crystal. Because Druids don't give a candy ass about cards that don't deal damage/ramp/draw.

squidyj

how many matches in a specific matchup would need to be played correctly to achieve a margin of error of 5% or a 95% confidence interval of 10%?

Bizazedo

At 37 minutes of the presentation, Ben Brode clearly says Entomb "plucks it off the battlefield and puts it into your deck" for those who think it's not removal.

Haly

how many matches in a specific matchup would need to be played correctly to achieve a margin of error of 5% or a 95% confidence interval of 10%?
Whatever it is, the sample size would be too small by NeoGAF™ standards.

ZealousD

Thought experiment: how much would Recycle need to cost to be worthy of play?

5 Mana for arena. In constructed I don't really know, because I am not sure if Druid needs that particular kind of removal in general.

Dahbomb

5 Mana for arena. In constructed I don't really know, because I am not sure if Druid needs that particular kind of removal in general.
Look at both the Druids deck that get used then look at the type of cards that get played.

They do one of 3 things: Do damage (or are a strong minion which is the same thing), draw a card or ramp mana.

Any card that doesn't fit into one of those categories does not get used.

That means Mulch won't get used despite being a clutch removal that Druids have needed/wanted since the game's release (Druid fans are always complaining about ways to deal with non BGH big targets outside of silence). That means AOE spells like Poison Seeds/Starfall won't get used because they don't hit face. That's also why their buff cards aren't used

All of this is because Druids build their deck with Savage Roar and Force of Nature in mind. They either want to do enough face damage to kill you with the combo, draw into the combo or ramp into the combo so the can kill faster.

I would hope so, I don't understand why people would think otherwise.
Mostly because people can't comprehend that Blizzard would create Recyle for one class then create Entomb for another. They give Blizzard way too much credit, sometimes they fuck up like that.

For the record in a control meta, Entomb is absolutely insane. Though I guess so is double Mind Control but you get the idea. Entomb is also great in a meta that is not completely a control meta but not completely a tempo/aggro meta either so you can afford to play something that is slower than a Shadow Death/Pain for removal.

Haly

Well creating a better Recycle at Common is more comprehensible than "6 mana, copy a minion, don't draw it".

Now THAT'S not giving credit.

Dahbomb

Druid doesn't need hard removal since they always run two Keepers.
They technically already have 3 hard removals in Naturalize, Mulch and Recycle. So if they ever need it then they have it in the bag.

Naturalize and Mulch are auto include in Mill/Fatigue Druid deck though.

manhack

Some quick stats for the beginning of the month. Been playing Pirate rogue, Control Rogue and Oil Rogue while working on my Golden Rogue portrait.

nqcBaYZ.png

Seems like 1 class might be slightly over represented...

manhack

Yeah I highly doubt Entomb removes the minion from the board especially because it's a common rarity. That's why I didn't think it would be played in constructed.

Ben Brode confirmed that Entomb does in face remove the minion and put it in your deck.

Dahbomb

Entombed would basically be a three times worse Gang Up if it didn't also remove the minion.

Actually it would be a 18 times worse Gang Up because Gang Up gives you 3 copies, costs 4 less mana and can be used on your own minions.

Entomb 100% removes the minion for the board and puts it in your deck. Also, I think I'll probably run one of it in my Control Priest deck.

AzureSky

hex and poly is better removal, but entomb is still quiet usefull if you can remove sylvanas, tirion or highmane without triggering the deathrattle and have a chance to draw them yourself. Helps a lot with control games, useless against agressiv decks though...

bjaelke

hex and poly is better removal, but entomb is still quiet usefull if you can remove sylvanas, tirion or highmane without triggering the deathrattle and have a chance to draw them yourself. Helps a lot with control games, useless against agressiv decks though...

Both those "removals" leave a minion on board for a Savage Roar / Bloodlust combo. So I guess there's that.

BreakJohn

Holy shit that speech on Reynad's stream just now was one of the funniest things I've heard all year. Had me laughing and smiling the whole way through lol.

I mean, do people really think its assassinate on steroids for 1 more mana cost?

No, it would not say destroy a minion because that would trigger deathrattles.

And besides, there already is a card that copies a minion and puts it in your hand. Why would you pay 4 more to do the same thing but put it in your deck?

22379.png

On the other hand, recycle's language does have it remove the minion from the board.

12279.png

I think entomb is rather weak though, especially against decks that run smaller minions. It is very expensive for a single target removal. Compare to light bomb which has the potential to remove the entire board.

Hige

Would it affect the "soul of the card quest" if the quests had alternate completion conditions like "Win 3 games as X class OR play as X class 6 times"? Cause I cannot clear my quests for the life of me at this point.

Anyway, do quests start piling up in a backlog or am I missing out on gold now that I have 3 quests and the day rolled over?

Xanathus

OK so Entomb probably looks like it removes the minion as well. That definitely makes it a potential 1-off in any Priest deck if you think you're going to encounter non-aggro/low-curve decks. One of Priest's biggest headaches is Sylvanas and other high value deathrattle minions so this is pretty insane removal. Possibly a replacement for 1 Shadow Word: Death in Dragon Priest.

Lumine

Of course Entomb also removes the minion. I mean it costs 6! It's probably still not good enough. I can see it being a great card if you're matched against a control/fatigue warrior and "steal" his Ysera or something similar. Every other time though it'll just be a super expensive assassinate. Which is already too much of a tempo loss currently in ladder as it is.

Warlocks get anything good this time?

Not really. They got a 1/1 for 1 that with six other minions on the board, it becomes a 5/5. Really doubt it'll see play since I don't think any Warlock decks really flood the board. Three is Zoolock but I always though they traded out for board control.

There's a Dark Peddler. A 2/2 for 2 that lets you discover a 1 cost card. I could see this getting some play, depending on how popular Discover is. Seems like it could be alright since it works on both turn 2 or 3.

And finally there's Curse of Rafaam. It's a 2 cost spell that gives your opponent a Curse card. If they hold it at the beginning of their turn, they take two damage. It'll be interesting to see how it works with spell power. I find this card the most interesting because Warlocks in WoW have a lot of different curse(Or at least had a lot of them a while back), and I'd like to see more interesting mechanics with them.

ZealousD

Yeah Reliquary Seeker is garbage. Something like Gormok is way better and even he can only be activated like 50% of the time you are playing Zoo. Getting two more minions is even harder.

Dark peddler seems like it could be great. Maybe you get an extra power overwhelming or soulfire to use.

Yeah Reliquary Seeker is garbage. Something like Gormok is way better and even he can only be activated like 50% of the time you are playing Zoo. Getting two more minions is even harder.

I think the cost of reliquary makes it stand apart from gormok.

Top Bottom