• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm actually kind of scared of Reno becoming too popular. Not because I'm particularly interested in a meta dominated by hyper-aggressive decks, but neither should the game swing in the complete opposite direction either. Fatigue decks are really frustrating to play against.

Xanathus

Got a brawl daily quest so I had to "enjoy" playing over 6 games of this effing brawl. The changes they have made to Nefarian's starting mana and Rag's deck seems to have made Ragnaros favored in the matchup. If both players get equal opening hands, Ragnaros will win because now Nefarian isn't able to pile on the board fast enough to kill Ragnaros before Ragnaros can play the board clear cards.

It means two years ago somebody said "it has more value" so people still repeat it as if it is meaningful multiple expansions and meta changes later.

We are not talking about playing arena on the first day of naxx. Cards in constructed do not exist in their own little value vacuum.

First off, I am talking about board value not card value. In other words, tempo. A 1/1 that generates a new card is high card value that generates a hand advantage but is weak on board advantage. So if you think high card/hand value is weak today, then jeweled scarab sits among the weakest.

I am talking about tempo. I am talking about board value, and the ability to maintain a board presence. And I am certainly not talking about creeper in a vacuum. There is a reason creeper has stuck around in shaman decks, because they need board to leverage cards like FTT, DoA, their own totems, and even rockbiter or in other cases bloodlust.

So... no, it is not a meaningless netdecking term. It is an important metric by which you evaluate cards when you are building decks. Most playable cards have very high value and over time that efficiency has gone only up and that started and has not slowed down with cards like haunted creeper in naxxramas.

Dragner

I don't know you, but my TG have been taken out countless times by shielded minibots, flame cannons, sapped, shadow word pain, etc, only to leave me my next turn with the only option to play my hero power. TG is only good when it comes out of a tuskar totemic, so yes, I rather play scarab on turn 2 followed by tuskar or any 3 drop that comes out of scarab

'Dies to removal' is a poor way of evaluating a card, just saying.

Duster

Oh is discover limited to class cards? That's disappointing. In theory I still think it's a great mechanic.

Just 20 more gold to grind until I can find out for myself... that means playing aggro so I'm dreading running into Reno after Reno.

gutshot

I'm actually kind of scared of Reno becoming too popular. Not because I'm particularly interested in a meta dominated by hyper-aggressive decks, but neither should the game swing in the complete opposite direction either. Fatigue decks are really frustrating to play against.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't forget that immediately after the first week of BRM dropped, everyone and their mom was running Emperor. People were freaking out over the card, saying it was going to break the game and all kinds of other silliness. Now, 6 months later, it is still a good card that has its place in a handful of decks, but it's not meta-defining or game-breaking.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If Reno gets too popular... :
22435.png

Can't use his ability 'til all the Nerubians spawn lol

Rogue confirmed OP

If Reno gets too popular... :
22435.png

Can't use his ability 'til all the Nerubians spawn lol

Rogue confirmed OP

I still want to craft these... pretty badly. hah

I am still thinking about what cards I might need to craft after more cards are released though. I think neptulon might be on my next to craft list.

Hycran

Banned
I still want to craft these... pretty badly. hah

I am still thinking about what cards I might need to craft after more cards are released though. I think neptulon might be on my next to craft list.

Beneath the grounds is fun to play, but the problem I've found is that even when you get a 4/4, it rarely has any true impact on the game. In an aggro match youre probably not going to see any of them and in a control match a 4/4 just isn't strong enough against weapon classes, classes with board clears or classes that heal. I've tried to make it work but right now its just not possible.

As for neptulon... eh. It's clear that's the idea behind the new buff card, but even if you play out on the next turn, you've only got 7 mana to work with. Considering you probably need that super buff murloc to give everyone an additional buff, I'm still not convince that would work either

Xanathus

Not really gonna discuss Reno in depth but I think people are over-evaluating it as if it will always get the effect off in time, but in reality people will not draw it in time or their decks will not have been thinned out enough in time for the effect to work.

Dahbomb

Not really gonna discuss Reno in depth but I think people are over-evaluating it as if it will always get the effect off in time, but in reality people will not draw it in time or their decks will not have been thinned out enough in time for the effect to work.
Yes this has been my experience with the card. I usually don't draw it when I need to.

But when I have it in hand I can play more recklessly to gain advantage.

This card is still my top 5 favorite card in the set and this card is great for the game overall.

vgfVV8pl.png

SplegS0l.jpg

Been having fun in casual with this Reno Warlock. Thoughts and suggestions welcome, I've never really used Warlock before.

Edit - sorry my pics suck, working off my tablet

Phawx

There is a kernel of something with a spell heavy Summoning Stone + Reno deck.

I am still trying to tweak it, but having a buffet of spells from Mage makes for having a weird answer for almost every situation.

Still tweaking it but this is what it looks like right now

QxnGERR.png

Heh, just swapped ice lance for Mad Scientist. Actually thinking of adding some more removal type cards and maybe adding a faceless minion

Decks I see running Reno are basically running single cards, so the effect will always work

ZZMitch

you sure. the battle cry is destroy a minion w/ 7 or more attack. I guess you can target the same one twice, but w/ how the battle cry is worded you get two of those

That is not how it works. Bran has no effect on BGH. It simply causes whatever battlecry that is doubled to hit the same target twice. So Fire Elemental, for example, will always hit its target for 6 when Bran is on the board (you can't hit two things for 3). So no double targeting. I guess you could say that BGH double killed that one 7+ attack minion haha

ZealousD

Has anybody tried a 30 legendaries Reno deck yet?

I mean if decks are really going to cut their consistency and tempo by running singletons then running that many huge threats might actually be doable. Lol

Pooya

Reno is a card that will get better and better, with more cards added to the game you will have more options for any drop like for example with that new 4 drop for paladin, if your deck has two BoKs, you can easily cut one for that instead now. It's probably better than a BoK in a lot of situations anyway. If at some point the game switches to certain formats with card set restrictions, like GvG is banned, again Reno will get even better as that's the one problematic set where it limits card choice. Still, there are some cards you absolutely want two of, it's not an issue at all, those are the cards you want to mulligan for anyway, it doesn't affect Reno. You want that win axe in your hand, if you don't get it you are probably screwed, Reno no triggering isn't much of a problem then. Not drawing it when you need it isn't an issue for the card either, that goes for like any card. If you don't draw BGH in time you're screwed, etc etc. The card is very good, I was expecting it, now playing with it I'm fully convinced it's here to stay for some decks, it can create brand new deck and it will affect the meta for sure.

I mean if decks are really going to cut their consistency and tempo by running singletons then running that many huge threats might actually be doable. Lol

I've got one but haven't had time to test it yet. Warlock with Jaraxxus so I can dig through the deck quicker and also have a back-up heal to 15 health.

ZZMitch

Total Buscuits 30 Legendary deck got a big buff at least :p

It wouldn't work without removals. The only AOE clears you could possibly have are Dreadscale, Geddon, and Chillmaw. I guess Rogue could capture something with Gallywix, but that would be up to the other player to give it to them, and then they'd know to play around it. Or Saraad could RNG you a spell. Control Warrior is the closest you'll ever get to a functional deck with a ton of costly minions at the top of the curve.

vgfVV8pl.png

SplegS0l.jpg

Been having fun in casual with this Reno Warlock. Thoughts and suggestions welcome, I've never really used Warlock before.

Edit - sorry my pics suck, working off my tablet

You've got some pretty strange choices in this deck including more than a few cards that are situational in decks built specifically around those cards. Ancient Watcher with only one taunt giver and no silences, Nerubian Egg with only one buff (can also combo with Void Terror and Hellfire, but still), Dreadsteed without Baron Rivendare, Grim Patron with only a few activators, Demon Fuse without Imp Gang Boss or Imp-losion. There are also some pretty bad cards in there like Shadow Bolt, Arcane Nullifier, Twisting Nether, Sacrificial Pact (you don't have 1/1 demons to sacrifice) and Drain Life. I'd drop most of those cards and add IGB, Imp-losion, Mal'Ganis, Sludge Belcher, Sylvanas, Shredder, Haunted Creeper, Knife Juggler, Zombie Chow or any other value cards.

ZealousD

Paladin is the best deck for 30 legendaries. Tirion gives you a solid taunt and massive value, and Eadric being a weak board clear makes more sense when you don't have the option for other clears. Plus, best hero power.

That is not how it works. Bran has no effect on BGH. It simply causes whatever battlecry that is doubled to hit the same target twice. So Fire Elemental, for example, will always hit its target for 6 when Bran is on the board (you can't hit two things for 3). So no double targeting. I guess you could say that BGH double killed that one 7+ attack minion haha

ah ok. yea i doubled checked afterwards and realized I was wrong

Phreaker

Is Jeweled Scarab the worst drop from a Piloted Shredder? Saw it happen twice last night (to an opponent).

edit: Oh, I guess Darnassus aspirant is probably worse (or Doomsayer of course).

I kind of want to get my shaman deck idea rolling already. Just not sure how I'll build it without the new shaman 1 drop. Not sure how I'll build with it, but I am sure I want to build with it.

Is Jeweled Scarab the worst drop from a Piloted Shredder? Saw it happen twice last night (to an opponent).

edit: Oh, I guess Darnassus aspirant is probably worse (or Doomsayer of course).

Yeah, darnassus aspirant, doomsayer at the wrong time, wrathguard at the wrong time, lorwalker cho at the wrong time...

Also jeweled scarab is the same stats are novice engineer.

Line_HTX

yf1FY7Z.jpg

Well now, this is the best TGT pack I've had so far. I like having a Golden taunt with Twilight Guardian under the right circumstances.

On my next pack, I got Golden Acidmaw. Dusted that shit instantly. I'm kind of irritated that I didn't get Golden Saraad instead.

I put down 700 gold for the first wing of LOE. I don't know how to get 700 gold back before the next section opens up. I'm sorry, Dahbomb, but I think I'll have to pay the rest of the way. Hell, I just paid for 15 TGT packs here!

So, what are y'all's thoughts on what's good so far in LOE? Rogues OP again, I hope? ;P

You've got some pretty strange choices in this deck including more than a few cards that are situational in decks built specifically around those cards. Ancient Watcher with only one taunt giver and no silences, Nerubian Egg with only one buff (can also combo with Void Terror and Hellfire, but still), Dreadsteed without Baron Rivendare, Grim Patron with only a few activators, Demon Fuse without Imp Gang Boss or Imp-losion. There are also some pretty bad cards in there like Shadow Bolt, Arcane Nullifier, Twisting Nether, Sacrificial Pact (you don't have 1/1 demons to sacrifice) and Drain Life. I'd drop most of those cards and add IGB, Imp-losion, Mal'Ganis, Sludge Belcher, Sylvanas, Shredder, Haunted Creeper, Knife Juggler, Zombie Chow or any other value cards.

Thanks for the feedback. I swapped out Demon Fuse with IGB, Dreadsteed with Implosion, and Arcane with Sludge. I kept the others for now, but like the idea of working Sylvanas in. Don't have Mal unfortunately and not sure if I'll stick with Warlock long enough to craft him.

Glix

Just popping in to say i just had a real solid experience with explorers hat in the arena. I think its a very solid Arena card

ParityBit

So I have been playing with the normal cards, both adventure packs and some random packs I get here or there. I think it is probably time for me to focus on a class/deck. I have not even done any card construction.

So how did you decide which class to be when you started making your first deck? I sort of like a bunch of them, and some others I have barely played so I do not really have an opinion.

Then, how do you know what deck to target when it comes to construction of cards.

Dreavus

So I have been playing with the normal cards, both adventure packs and some random packs I get here or there. I think it is probably time for me to focus on a class/deck. I have not even done any card construction.

So how did you decide which class to be when you started making your first deck? I sort of like a bunch of them, and some others I have barely played so I do not really have an opinion.

Then, how do you know what deck to target when it comes to construction of cards.

I just have one deck of each class and throw what I have in my collection at it. If you want to be competitive, you could look up some decks online. Otherwise just look for synergies and make sure your "curve" is good, meaning you have more low-mana-cost cards than high-mana-cost cards so you can use up your mana each turn.

I would avoid using your dust to make common cards but anything above that is fine IMO. There could be an argument made to not make rares either, but if they are key cards to make a deck work, it's not the worst thing to have to spend some dust on it.

f0lken

'Dies to removal' is a poor way of evaluating a card, just saying.

Except in the case of totem golem is "Dies to removal and leaves you with less options for your next turn"

Of course that is a problem in general with overload, but in the case of TG is more troubling because is supposed to be an early threat to your opponent and in far more cases than not it cuts you out of options, specially in this meta where everyone puts tons of minions early

Top Bottom