• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

NBtoaster

It will be really good for the game if Reno becomes popular. You'll see so many cards you're always hard pressed to find a slot for.

I get it's not public enemy #1 or anything but god damn Living Roots is OP.

Oh yeah, and Muster for Battle too. Actually, just fuck all these bullshit token spawning cards in general.

jgminto

I wonder if Freeze Mage will run Reno, it might be useful against Control Warrior when reaching fatigue but chances are they will also be running Reno since reaching fatigue is the MO of Control Warrior and that card will always see a benefit in that situation. So if they are also running it, you'd just drag out the loss a few turns longer.

My bet is on Paladin having the most success with the card. Once you've got the Justicar Dude Pipeline going, you will just flood the enemy with chip damage while you negate all their burst with Reno.

LiveWire

Just had an arena with Reno. Druid, only multiple was two copies of Wild Growth. Only had 5 wins, but all 5 involved Reno, and 3 of 5 were instant concedes when he hit the board. Another conceded after I brewmastered him back into my hand. I might have kept going on the third loss had I only drawn one of my growths. The card is amazing.

Jeweled Scarab seems pretty strong for Shaman so far. I've gotten a Hex multiple times, as well as Healing Wave, Feral Spirit and Mana Tide Totem. Shaman just has a lot of strong 3 mana cards that can show up in the Discover.

Edit:
hearthstonescreenshot5xsl0.png

f0lken

I think I am close to a decent Rumbling Elemental deck, so far this has worked better than my dragon's attempt, don't mind Enhance-O Mechano and elven archer, they are placeholders for Bran and Sir Finley respectively

Jeweled Scarab seems pretty strong for Shaman so far. I've gotten a Hex multiple times, as well as Healing Wave, Feral Spirit and Mana Tide Totem. Shaman just has a lot of strong 3 mana cards that can show up in the Discover.

Edit:

I agree with that. It needs work (and brann), but battlecry Shaman has a huge amount of potential. Explore is so powerful when you know the matchup. Even getting a MCT against aggro is huge.

With aggro sort of in trouble, it'll be the perfect deck to overwhelm control. Running crowd favorite is actually working really well. There is only so much 6 damage shit people can remove.

zoukka

Is this the answer to cancer? Reno! it works guys, it works!

It is. Face decks are officially dead.

Singleton decks are so fun to play too, you get to use cards that very seldomly see play.

And dark peddler is an auto-include in all warlock decks.

probably should of started laddering properly before expansion, trying a reno paladin deck but never dying enough to use him c:
edit: Used it vs face hunter for 15, im so happy

Pooya

With what mryagut is playing at rank 2 legend, you probably want a Reno in every deck. That burn mage deck has 4 times the damage face hunter has plus iceblock. lol

I've spent the day playing with all the new cards. God bless those people still playing straight Dragon Priest...but anyway. My thoughts:

Explorers Hat - Doesn't fit into hunter and I think if it ever did (Control), Hunter will have better things to play anyway. That said, maybe there will be some feign/death lock and load fun one day, I'll probably try that out.

Forgotten torch - Right now feels too slow. However things are going to slow down and that extra fireball late game is huge. I think this card will be a slow burn but will eventually find its way into lots of mage decks. Remember the emperor is still around for crazy shit and if the game slows further, Mage is better poised than many to really do burst.

Sacred Trial - The counter to secret paladin is apparently...more secrety paladin! It seems ok, but I think it'll find a home in a deck that was never that good to begin with and will be gone soon.

Rumbling Elemental - Seems good...but here is the catch. The 2 attack and cost makes it completely worthless against Priest. It is a HUGE liability in a match up that is already really bad. So just as Shaman gets something good? Priest comes and steals it away again.

Dark Peddler - Not bad at all, because discover is so strong. However I don't think it'll stay around long, since Warlock will slow down somewhat and 1 drops are not going to help that style.

Obsidian Destroyer - I overrated this card originally because I thought it was the scarabs that actually do something. It'll be ok in arena, you will not see it otherwise.

Jeweled Scarab - I think this is really strong. You give up some tempo, but with buffs everywhere and discover being so strong, it'll make bad match ups a lot more manageable. Getting something you need on turn 3? Is super valuable. I'd expect it will get replaced before too long by better discover cards, but you could do worse running one of these, even for late game.

Ancient Shade - I don't think the curse is that big of a deal, but I also don't think the discounted 7/4 is that good. 4 health just dies to too much shit and it doesn't do anything else. Dr 4 is still shredding shit.

Anubisath Sentinel - Seems way too slow and not worth the +3/+3. It'll get lost in the sea of better 5 drops.

Summoning Stone - Kind of gimmicky, but the stone/prep/sprint combo is strong.

Djinni - There is some strange stuff you can do with it ... but I couldn't make it work that well. It'll be a card I want to play around with a bit more yet.

Reno Jackson - I love this card because I don't think it is good at all, but everybody is discovering if you make a few smart card choices, you can completely obliterate a deck like face hunter. So this will help the game overall and might lead to people actually trying more strategies beyond whining on reddit.

AzureSky

what i dont understand is: why wouldn't just take the best 3-drop into your deck instead?

If you play a shaman, you might as well hero power at turn 2 and might even get the 1/1 anyway. So, thats pretty much the same and you have the 3-drop of your choice, not 1-out-of-3-that-might-be-less-awful, right?

what i dont understand is: why wouldn't just take the best 3-drop into your deck instead?

If you play a shaman, you might as well hero power at turn 2 and might even get the 1/1 anyway. So, thats pretty much the same and you have the 3-drop of your choice, not 1-out-of-3-that-might-be-less-awful, right?

The best 3 drop changes based on the situation you're in though. Picking a second BGH against control Warrior or a Murloc Warleader while I have murlocs in hand are just a couple examples in the images I posted. You could pick a Healing Wave against face Hunter or a third Hex against another control deck.

It's just extremely versatile in that respect and it functions as pseudo card draw which is still an area where Shaman is weak.

Pooya

At the very least it fixes your curve, do you want to possibly hero power on turn 3 too? you have already lost the game then. Shaman has issues with card draw, this can help with that, you have 3 shots at getting a card you think you'd need soon at that spot instead of hoping to maybe top deck it.

Discover is a really good mechanic, it's RNG but it's RNG with decision making involved, not yolo I roll dice maybe I win the game on the spot with who knows what that we had before.

AzureSky

At the very least it fixes your curve, do you want to possibly hero power on turn 3 too? you have already lost the game then. Shaman has issues with card draw, this can help with that, you have 3 shots at getting a card you think you'd need soon at that spot instead of hoping to maybe top deck it.
you could just get Tuscarr Tomemic instead, for example. It's a good 3-drop in most situations.

Discover is a really good mechanic, it's RNG but it's RNG with decision making involved, not yolo I roll dice maybe I win the game on the spot with who knows what that we had before.
i dont mind discover, it's great as far as i'm concerned. But Scarab is just not a good enough card. It might have been interesting with something extra like taunt or minor deathrattle, but just 1/1 body is pretty much worthless.

zoukka

you could just get Tuscarr Tomemic instead, for example. It's a good 3-drop in most situations.

i dont mind discover, it's great as far as i'm concerned. But Scarab is just not a good enough card. It might have been interesting with something extra like taunt or minor deathrattle, but just 1/1 body is pretty much worthless.

The point is, you are probably already running 2 hexes, totemics etc, you can get more and discover creates more cards for you, they don't thin your deck. The 1/1 body is whatever but can proc a divine shield or whatever.

Peddler is better, but that is a class card after all.

Well I would agree that it's not that great of a card but that's pretty much a testament to how bad of shape Shaman is right now. You won't see any other class running it.

Compared to Unstable Portal it looks like a joke. It just happens that Shamans early game and card draw are both awful and their three mana cards are some of the best so Jeweled Scarab is an attractive option.

i dont mind discover, it's great as far as i'm concerned. But Scarab is just not a good enough card.

It isn't, but chances are the card it gets you is. Not only is it a card you need, but you get the card when you need it.

So you can't really judge it on being a 1/1 and saying it isn't good enough. I think there is more going on than that.

For jeweled scarab to be ran in shaman, you have to consider whether it is better than running it over haunted creeper. Since it isn't, I doubt you'll be running that card. The only type of deck that would run more 2 drops than creeper + totem golem would be something like aggro. Would aggro run jeweled scarab? Nope. So jeweled scarab really doesn't have a strong place in shaman.

Maybe in the right meta, where additional resources are more valued than early board presence... 3 mana cards are actually pretty good for shaman I think. Lightning storm, feral spirits... it is kinda like you're getting stronger than a 3 mana card with those. Then as far as neutrals you have techy cards like bgh and blood knight. So I won't completely discount the scarab in shaman. I think control shaman is the best fit because control shaman can have a lot of come back mechanics now, and not only that but the additional resources help its game plan just as much as board presence does.

The reason it works in Shaman is because it will very often give you the choice of lightning storm/sprirts if you are facing aggro, or something like hex if you are facing handlock.

That speciality in the deck is why the class suffers and that is why it is way better than a haunted creeper.

The reason it works in Shaman is because it will very often give you the choice of lightning storm/sprirts if you are facing aggro, or something like hex if you are facing handlock.

That speciality in the deck is why the class suffers and that is why it is way better than a haunted creeper.

But creeper is a way higher board value card, with FTT synergy. It is not a card I would easily part with in shaman.

zoukka

Shaman has an inherent problem right now, where all but face-shaman decks just suck. (not that the face-shamans wouldn't suck also :b)

Scarab could be swapped with ancestral knowledge maybe, but the effect isn't the same even there.

f0lken

scarab isn't better than creeper, but is IMO way better than totem golem for the 2 drop spot, TG's overload so early often leaves you vulnerable and gets taken out super easily

zoukka

scarab isn't better than creeper, but is IMO way better than totem golem for the 2 drop spot, TG's overload so early often leaves you vulnerable and gets taken out super easily

golem and scarab fill different roles, you can't compare them at all.

f0lken

You're an insane person :)

I don't know you, but my TG have been taken out countless times by shielded minibots, flame cannons, sapped, shadow word pain, etc, only to leave me my next turn with the only option to play my hero power. TG is only good when it comes out of a tuskar totemic, so yes, I rather play scarab on turn 2 followed by tuskar or any 3 drop that comes out of scarab

golem and scarab fill different roles, you can't compare them at all.

They are different, but golem still completely sucks. So you can compare them.

Amyway haunted creeper might be "higher value" in meaningless netdecking terms, but that doesn't mean much if you don't have a turn 3 play. The last time FTT into anything did any good was like 2013, you need more than that these days and this card can help you get it.

ParityBit

Dr Boom is the original Dr. 7. The 7 was basically a short form of saying Dr. Boom because when it was turn 7 and you had Dr. Boom in hand then you slammed it down. People joke that when it's turn 7 and you have Dr. Boom in hand the card should glow orange like when the battlecry of some minions activate after meeting a certain condition.

Dr. 7 was and still is very common in many decks and thus it's very common to see turn 7 dr 7. Dr Boom is also known as Dr Balanced and Dr. GG.

Ever since then other cards that act like Dr Boom have been given that nickname most notably Shredder. Shredder is like the turn 4 equivalent in that it's a neutral, the best 4 drop and you just put it down on turn 4 when you have it in hand.

Then Mysterious Challenger came and it became the Paladin's Dr.6 (although I would argue that the title of Dr should only belong to neutral minions). Coupled with their already strong curve minions like Minibot... the joke started when Firebat said something like "the best deck which is Secret Paladin just plays the best minions on curve and wins".

So it plays secret keeper turn 1 (for secret paladin its basically their Dr.1), Minibot, Muster for Battle, Shredder, Loatheb, Mysterious Challenger, Dr Boom, Tirion.

All of those cards are called Drs because they are used like Dr. Boom... ie. played on curve when they are the strongest.

Thanks you do much for this great explanation!

They are different, but golem still completely sucks. So you can compare them.

Amyway haunted creeper might be "higher value" in meaningless netdecking terms, but that doesn't mean much if you don't have a turn 3 play. The last time FTT into anything did any good was like 2013, you need more than that these days and this card can help you get it.

How is value meaningless in netdecking terms and what does that even mean?

How is value meaningless in netdecking terms and what does that even mean?

It means two years ago somebody said "it has more value" so people still repeat it as if it is meaningful multiple expansions and meta changes later.

We are not talking about playing arena on the first day of naxx. Cards in constructed do not exist in their own little value vacuum.

Top Bottom