• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Pooya

Reno mid range paladin is secretly the best deck lol. It's actually an advantage to have all those single card that otherwise would be tech cards like MCT, Blood Knight etc. I'm only running two consecration and two muster. The rest are single. I'm on a huge win streak right now. There are all these cards that work very well in paladin unlike other classes.

I might make it to two quartermasters, I'm not sure. I'm running silverhand regent and it's been decent. Warhorse trainer is another option. it's a lot of fun to play with all of these cards. I hope we get more cards that work like Reno with another powerful battlecry, decks like this can only get better.

NBtoaster

I know, just saying they could easily program the client to store a copy of your decks client-side and refer to it from there. It won't use the decks for actual play and drawing but just as reference for these sort of calculations. It's also probably part of the solution for adding more deck slots. Storing caches of deck lists is such a trivial thing that should only take less than a week to implement and test.

Things can be added to the deck in game (Beneath the Grounds, Entomb etc) that would make a static copy unreliable. Plus you can have duplicates in your deck and only play Reno once you draw them, you need a real-time version to calculate that.

CoolOff

Playing Anub'Arak vs. a Fatigue Warrior that has already used Sylvanas feels so good.
Emoticon_laugh.gif

Xanathus

Things can be added to the deck in game (Beneath the Grounds, Entomb etc) that would make a static copy unreliable. Plus you can have duplicates in your deck and only play Reno once you draw them, you need a real-time version to calculate that.

... You don't simply use the static client copy as the reference. It's just the starting base reference that is modified by the cards that are played in the game. That should go without saying. Basically if a deck tracker can figure this out, there's absolutely no technical reason why it can't be done by the game.

Pooya

the salt, so delicious

battle.net forum said:
.Honestly I think Reno is OP and needs to be nerfed. Hearthstone should be about skill, (though of course RNG is involved), but killing aggro outright like this just removes skill imho.

You should be able to counter aggro or face hunter with skill, that is balanced... Just like in Starcraft, rushing is a strategy with pros and cons, just as macro is another approach, just as hidden openings are another approach... But to make an absolute hard counter closes that rushing option. A player should be able to counter rushes like in Starcraft through info and skill (meta), and if the rush fails the opponent should be rewarded, just like in starcraft, for example, if your opponent fails a rush and you have a better econ opening, you are rewarded in the mid game. This is skill, and meta, and tactics, and mind-games.

But to FULLY heal... FULLY?!??! Can you imagine doing a base trade in Starcraft, to have him virtually killed through hard work, only for that player to be FULLY healed by clicking a button? Where did all that hard work go? I know Starcraft and Hearthstone are different.. but still, I hope you guys get my point. I'm just trying to give out helpful advice from my experiences.

That hard work and skill.

There is a TINY bit of difference between rushing in Starcraft and Hearthstone.

bjaelke

Reno mid range paladin is secretly the best deck lol. It's actually an advantage to have all those single card that otherwise would be tech cards like MCT, Blood Knight etc. I'm only running two consecration and two muster. The rest are single. I'm on a huge win streak right now. There are all these cards that work very well in paladin unlike other classes.

I might make it to two quartermasters, I'm not sure. I'm running silverhand regent and it's been decent. Warhorse trainer is another option. it's a lot of fun to play with all of these cards. I hope we get more cards that work like Reno with another powerful battlecry, decks like this can only get better.

This. I've found him him to be quite good in mid-range Paladin. Trying to tech in different cards turned out to be more fun than expected.

squidyj

the salt, so delicious

That hard work and skill.

There is a TINY bit of difference between rushing in Starcraft and Hearthstone.

it's not fundamentally wrong, it comes down to the ease of activation for reno. if reno was literally just battlecry heal to full it would be an undeniably busted card. We're still figuring out how to use and build around reno so it could very well shake out that way.

Never seen a dude BGH his own Dr Boom in a fit of baby rage until just now. Funny thing is, I made a pretty bad misplay before his turn and he probably would have beat me.

NBtoaster

... You don't simply use the static client copy as the reference. It's just the starting base reference that is modified by the cards that are played in the game. That should go without saying. Basically if a deck tracker can figure this out, there's absolutely no technical reason why it can't be done by the game.

Maybe, but that's a lot of work to light up one card. And the Hearthstone team usually takes weeks to implement the tiniest of quality of life changes...

Xanathus

Reno will probably be a staple in all decks that need to run healing after several more expansions. You basically just build your deck around mostly singletons, the only reason this isn't very viable at the moment is that there aren't enough core cards that can be replaced with a duplicate effect at the same mana cost. There are enough replaceable minions of equal power at the same mana cost but it's the spells that can't really be replaced as singletons like Fireball, Swipe, Consecrate, Execute, Shield Slam, etc. Same goes for weapons and possibly secrets.

Reno will probably be a staple in all decks that need to run healing after several more expansions. You basically just build your deck around mostly singletons, the only reason this isn't very viable at the moment is that there aren't enough core cards that can be replaced with a duplicate effect at the same mana cost. There are enough replaceable minions of equal power at the same mana cost but it's the spells that can't really be replaced as singletons like Fireball, Swipe, Consecrate, Execute, Shield Slam, etc. Same goes for weapons and possibly secrets.

I think that is fair. You can certainly build a good deck that uses it now, but you can't build a great one.

As it is now, unless your opponent is completely blowing their load, they are still going to win after Reno anyway. Hopefully enough people keep at it so that it discourages aggro somewhat.

Scratch

reno jackson is certainly one of the highlights of this adventure, but what i'm really surprised with is how useful the discover mechanic actually is. I initially wrote it off as bad, random mechanic (like joust), but 90% of the time, I get at least one choice that's incredibly useful.

rickyson1

that new adventure thing was fun and all but felt way too easy

I was expecting the normal mode to be easy and that's fine but this time around I even beat all the heroics on my first try

hopefully the other wings are a bit tougher

Duster

I had a blast yesterday, most I've enjoyed the ladder in ages. I made a weird inner fire priest with some of the new cards, beast hunter with that discover Scarab and a greedy echo-spell-mech-Reno-Mage that didn't really work. I went from about rank 18-14 playing against a wide variety of decks, most of them experimenting with new cards or just generally being quirky, I even saw Shamans!

Of course now I've hit that rank it was back to the same old shit today just with fewer facehunters, no sight of the new cards, that's not exaggerating either I didn't see a single one of them played against me. It was mostly the same old druids with a few handlocks, freeze mages and secret paladins thrown in.

Oh well, at least discover is still fun and the new cards should help both of my new decks.

CoolOff

Ugh, Fatigue Mage is a thing apparently. Take a Freeze-shell, put in Forgotten Torch to extend the deck, add Reno for more healing, play Coldlight + Deathlord. Probably the most boring thing I've faced.

Ugh, Fatigue Mage is a thing apparently. Take a Freeze-shell, put in Forgotten Torch to extend the deck, add Reno for more healing, play Coldlight + Deathlord. Probably the most boring thing I've faced.

Yeah, fatigue mage is nothing new actually. It had a time of popularity in gvg. It makes sense that it is being played again.

Parshias7

I think the main weakness for a class trying out Reno is spells, and more specifically, AoE spells. Pretty much the only usable AoE spell added since Basic/Classic has been Lightbomb, so if you want any kind of AoE in your deck, you're probably going to want to put two copies of the only decent AoE card your class has.

Same thing for the rest of the spells. Mage at least has kinda-sorta equivalents to Frostbolt and Fireball they could put into a Reno deck, but are Warlocks going to run one Darkbomb and one Soulfire? Probably not. Druids won't give up double Innervate/Wild Growth, Wrath, Swipe, etc.

Although it would be good to crunch the numbers to try and make a Reno deck that isn't all singletons. Calculate the chances of drawing one of your two Shredders by the turn you expect to play Reno, for example.

JesseZao

I think the main weakness for a class trying out Reno is spells, and more specifically, AoE spells. Pretty much the only usable AoE spell added since Basic/Classic has been Lightbomb, so if you want any kind of AoE in your deck, you're probably going to want to put two copies of the only decent AoE card your class has.

Same thing for the rest of the spells. Mage at least has kinda-sorta equivalents to Frostbolt and Fireball they could put into a Reno deck, but are Warlocks going to run one Darkbomb and one Soulfire? Probably not. Druids won't give up double Innervate/Wild Growth, Wrath, Swipe, etc.

Although it would be good to crunch the numbers to try and make a Reno deck that isn't all singletons. Calculate the chances of drawing one of your two Shredders by the turn you expect to play Reno, for example.

I put Reno in my Astral Communion druid deck. Works pretty well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The Reno Handlock I ran into used Dark Bomb and Implosion.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

My spell list:
Mortal Coil
Power Overwhelming
Darkbomb
Demonwrath
Hellfire
Implosion
Shadowflame
Siphon Soul

I wouldn't be surprised if I could fit Twisting Nether somewhere but I'm happy with the list as is. I trade some early game consistency for basically being able to reset life totals on turn 5/6.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Fatigue Mage and Fatigue Druid are both kind of a thing. They're really annoying, and I hope they never become popular.

fatigue decks are hilarious to play, I love 'em

it's too bad the meta hasn't favored it for a while. Drawing cards for people just lets them run their aggro faster

Haly

Tier 3 about to become the new Shaman Tier

Parshias7

I never would have thought about Reno in Handlock. I mean, they clearly can use the healing, but I'd think Drakex2, Moltenx2, and Mountainx2 are pretty much required in Handlock, I wonder how reliable Reno's affect is.

Kornflayx

Can someone tell me how to beat Razorgore on heroic? Is there something more reliable than drawing the exactly right cards for 10 turns with Priest?

Dahbomb

I never would have thought about Reno in Handlock. I mean, they clearly can use the healing, but I'd think Drakex2, Moltenx2, and Mountainx2 are pretty much required in Handlock, I wonder how reliable Reno's affect is.
IMO only two Molten Giants and more than 2 activators are required for Handlock.

Mountain Giant sucks so bad in the current meta it's laughable. Many times it will be a dead card in hand and won't be playable on turn 4 if you want to win.

Twilight Drake gets wrecked by silence hard and everyone is running it. Its's really just a bunch of stats when it's competing against Shredders. Plus both of those cards get wrecked by Freeze Trap/Repentance.

One Drake and one Mountain Giant works fine and you replace with Void Caller and Senjin/Refreshment Vendor. You can even throw in a Farseer to counter the aggression.

Real issue with Handlock is not having two Molten and more than 2 taunt activators. You can risk having a duplicate of either Molten or Sunfury but having both could deny a clutch Reno when you would need it the most. Also Moltens/Sunfury actually counter aggression unlike Mountain Giant so you actually want them.

Some people are using a Rag or Alex instead of a Molten as the big threat. People use an extra taunt for not having 3 taunt activators. You can also use Faceless to copy discounted giants.

The Eerie Statue has potential in a Renolock deck because it acts like a 2nd Ancient Watcher/Mountain Giant/Shadow Flame fodder but again you would need to be running 3 taunt activators to get most value.

I think that's what Renolock will end up juggling with...double Moltens or triple taunt activators. I am curious to see which version becomes the most refined but the best thing about Renolock is that many people will have their own twist on it.

Owzers

They need to nerf Reno right now, i'm starting the campaign. You will all forget about Mysterious Challenger and i can enjoy secret paladin....

Pooya

Healing and armor won't ever be nerfed, you can't deal damage with those. If your deck folds after a health reset it has to be a yolo deck, with a card like Reno, those decks are actually yolo decks now as you can get punished finally, it wasn't all that yolo before.

Dahbomb

Druid mirror at the end of this set... so like every other set except the Shaman one..

That Secret Paladin match was almost won without even using MC. Absolutely disgusting!

Also LMAO @ Reno in Freeze Mage.

Haly

Even with Reno I can't really play RenoWarrior without Geddon/Justicar or very timely Brawls. The rushdown is still real. Reno just makes it more fair even if it's a feast or famine card.

I feel the same way about Patron right now actually. All my games are either over on turn 5 because I build up an overwhelming board or if I just steadily lose steam until turn 10 because I can't break through Freeze/Hand/JusticarWarrior.

Oh well at least it's better than all Paladin all the time.

Pooya

What do you mean by breaking through freeze? Freeze mage as patron? You don't build board against freeze mage, just hero power every turn unti you have both armorsmiths. I've never lost a game to freeze mage as patron, whirlwinds kill them.

Handlock is actually pretty good now too with Grom.

Control warrior is like 10-90 though, it's really unlikely they leave a board for you.

edit: ah you meant just warrior, yeah playing as patron against those is hopeless. Nothing can be done about it without CHARGE FORWARD.

Haly

What do you mean by breaking through freeze? Freeze mage as patron? You don't build board against freeze mage, just hero power every turn unti you have both armorsmiths. I've never lost a game to freeze mage as patron, whirlwinds kill them.

Okay I'll try that.

Having Reno in your hand feels so good. You know no matter what they do if they can't kill you in one turn they might as well not have played any cards at all. I didn't even need Justicar to crush this Tempo Mage's spirit. Just Armor'd Up for the last 6-7 turns until he went to 2 cards in his deck. I was at 15 HP and 12 Armor with Reno in my hand. I knew he had nothing. He knew he had nothing. Huahuahua.

Shaman dailies are suffering.

Hearthstone tournament -> Show DOTA 2 hype ad
laugh.gif

Tagyhag

I was so close to beating this arena priest and he plays double tournament medic that he thoughtstealed from the only medic I have. :|

I didn't even know that shit was possible.

Owzers

i was joking about hating Reno until i lost two games because of Reno healing for 28 or so. I crafted secret paladin a month too late.

Top Bottom