• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cancer should only be used for decks that use shitty, annoying deathrattle minions not slower control decks.

ie. You kill them but they keep coming back.

That's why Reno Jackson is now nicknamed Chemo Jackson.

Fatigue decks are just as cancerous imo. The fatigue state should be used in order to break some kind of stalemate or tie. Making it a win condition is awful. I think it is stupid and brainless when games get decided in five or six turns, but the other side of being intentionally dragged out into a 35 turn game is annoying as hell and not fun.

Arena actually feels like where the pace of the game should actually be. It's slow enough that there is serious consideration for having big drops but fast enough that you don't get dragged through tar pits.

People are high on Reno Jackson right now but personally it's not the type of anti-aggro design I particularly favor because it benefits fatigue decks and makes them more efficient then ever. That is not just anti-aggro design it is also anti-control design. Card design like Zombie Chow is far more interesting and beneficial to the health of the game as a whole.

ZealousD

I honestly prefer playing against a face hunter than fatigue decks

So would I, but probably only because a match against a Face Hunter ends so much quicker. Both designs are toxic and unfun imo.

Personally, I think the game needs a kind of balance where fair tempoish aggro (eg mech mage or demon zoo), midrange, and control can all kind of co-exist. The game is far more fun that way. Having decks at the edges of the spectrum like Face Hunter or Fatigue might be fine sprinkled here and there as possible checks to prevent any one archetype from spiraling out of control but the game is not healthy when these extremes dominate.

LiveWire

Just hit 500 wins with Renolock. I had Jaraxxus up so the golden portrait was of him, sweet artwork. Reno is getting near instant concedes against at least 50% of the players I'm facing. Granted, I'm late this month in grinding and in the low teens but still...we're gonna be rich!

Never liked any Warlock builds, but, I must say that Renolock makes him much more enjoyable. A secret paladin got me down to 1 hp and I dropped that reno then defender of argus'd him. Two turns later I dropped my rags after clearing his board with hellfire. Feels good!

jgminto

I don't usually play constructed but I managed to win 4 games in a row with mid-range hunter and Krush. No one expects the Krush.

That's because it's one of the worst value charge minion in the game, especially for a Legendary. It's nice to pull from a Webspinner/Ram Wrangler though.

Reno warlock is not even really fatigue. Its just a control deck that gets so much out of its hero power it is a little insane. If you thought handlock was something unique and powerful to warlock, reno has brought that strategy to a whole new level.

They still have enough AOE (non-demon only aoe is fine). They still have plenty of removal. They still have more late game threats than even control warrior does typically (mountain, frost, and molten giants, dr. boom, rag, jaraxxus, malganis). Their games simply don't go to fatigue often because of jaraxxus.

Not to mention they don't need to run jaraxxus. 1 tick of ET plus some luck in getting leeroy, faceless, or power overwhelming hit and you've got yourself a 20 damage finisher.

I'm guessing that tempo mage does alright against it seeing as a good start can blow handlock out by turn 5-6 and the reach you have from fireball. Face hunter probably still favored with the right tool set of silences and damage.

But despite all that, I wonder if we're going to see a very heavy warlock meta going forward. It hasn't slowed down much since it started.

Mulgrok

I had people friend me to say they were so happy I wasn't playing a Reno deck while trying out my buff paladin deck on ladder rank 5. That must mean something.

He is one of my only legends so I make do with him.

Don't let the negative people get to you. Wish I had a Krush to play.

Think I just had my longest match of all time against a fatigue druid as Mid range pally. I won, and it was clear I was going to win for most of the match, but it never fucking stopped. Tree of Life, man. I think he may have healed for 71 in total.

Edit: 76 actually from Zombie Chow

Just had a pretty crazy game. Played Jeweled Scarab to get a Scarlet Crusader, killed the opponents Mechanical Yeti for a time rewinder and used the Scarab again to get a Blood Knight.

He'd be really good if he cost less. At 8 Mana he'd be comparable to a slightly worse Pyroblast as a game ender. He'd probably see regular play at 7 Mana, even if you had to knock some health off.

I know he's not the best value wise. I also have a Ragnaros but I prefer to choose where my 8 damage goes. It's saved me quite a few times. Plus I need a big creature to go with my Reno hunter I'm trying. So far it's been going decently.

manhack

Made an aggro druid to complete the 5 win quest. For shits and grins I switched out savage combatant and a shredder for 2 ancient shades.

holy bejesus when this deck curves out every game is over by turn 5.

Dahbomb

Fatigue decks are difficult to be as "cancerous" or as widespread as aggro/tempo decks because:

*They are much, much harder to play.
*They are much easier to counter.
*An average match takes very long especially when winning which makes it among the worst decks to ladder with.
*Many fatigue decks are expensive for the average player.
*Unlike other tempo decks, you don't necessarily auto win if you draw the nuts opening hand.

It seems like the Reno decks have started to settle out with the exception of Renolock. People have realized that something like Immortal Warrior is just Fatigue Warrior with an extra heal and one less War Axe. It just counters other Reno decks.

People are back to playing tempo with some adjustments. Hunters have started to go more Midrange which still bodies Renolock. Secret Paladins probably farmed all the Reno decks and go to higher ranks already same for Aggro Druid as they are both still the best deck. Zoolock is pretty popular at the moment with the Dark Peddler, that card is definitely doing work. Seeing more Control Rogue lately but that might pass when they also get the memo. Shaman gonna Shaman. Freeze Mage got the Torch which is quite legit for them but they still lose 9 1 to Warriors.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing ladder for the few times I played since Reno was out. Always saw something different. I saw a mix of all types of deck that I haven't seen in a long time and the return of some old classic cards as well.

Fatigue decks are difficult to be as "cancerous" or as widespread as aggro/tempo decks because:

*They are much, much harder to play.
*They are much easier to counter.
*An average match takes very long especially when winning which makes it among the worst decks to ladder with.
*Many fatigue decks are expensive for the average player.
*Unlike other tempo decks, you don't necessarily auto win if you draw the nuts opening hand.

It seems like the Reno decks have started to settle out with the exception of Renolock. People have realized that something like Immortal Warrior is just Fatigue Warrior with an extra heal and one less War Axe. It just counters other Reno decks.

People are back to playing tempo with some adjustments. Hunters have started to go more Midrange which still bodies Renolock. Secret Paladins probably farmed all the Reno decks and go to higher ranks already same for Aggro Druid as they are both still the best deck. Zoolock is pretty popular at the moment with the Dark Peddler, that card is definitely doing work. Seeing more Control Rogue lately but that might pass when they also get the memo. Shaman gonna Shaman. Freeze Mage got the Torch which is quite legit for them but they still lose 9 1 to Warriors.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing ladder for the few times I played since Reno was out. Always saw something different. I saw a mix of all types of deck that I haven't seen in a long time and the return of some old classic cards as well.

I think the biggest takeaway from that is the comment on dark peddler. I think once the next few wings are out, discover will really push Reno back and become the new thing that gets explored. It seems much stronger overall to me.

Dahbomb

Yeah Discover is a really strong mechanic. Because of the class weightage, some Discover cards are better for certain classes over others.

Discover also somewhat counters the fatigue strategies because the card is created not pulled from deck.

Mmkay, log in to play more fatigue Warrior. Get matched up against a Shaman and he spends the first turn roping and spamming emotes. Second turn he plays Haunted Creeper than concedes.

Alright then.

I wonder if people would hate as much on fatigue and freeze if the ranking system wasn't all about getting as many matches played as fast as possible.

Well I play a lot on mobile. You know like sometimes on the go and I can't have 20 minute matches. Or maybe I'm watching a football game and I would like to play a match in during commercials.

Like today I went to get on oil change and seriously they were like oh your car is done in 5 minutes. I decided eh play one match ... control warrior. GG. That match took enough time for me to pay my bill, get into my car... have the radio play 2 songs before I drove off.

Miletius

Jinn decks seem better on a Paladin than it does on a Priest. Paladin have the best buffs in the game. Priests just have gimmicky divine spirit/inner fire. Kind of annoying.

Yeah Discover is a really strong mechanic. Because of the class weightage, some Discover cards are better for certain classes over others.

Discover also somewhat counters the fatigue strategies because the card is created not pulled from deck.

I'm really going to try to get Brann Mechhunter to work. I think Gorillabot has a big chance of drawing another Metaltooth Leaper and things should get nuts very quickly.

bjaelke

Jinn decks seem better on a Paladin than it does on a Priest. Paladin have the best buffs in the game. Priests just have gimmicky divine spirit/inner fire. Kind of annoying.
Priest have Power Word: Shield which draws you 2 cards and Velen's Chosen. Neither of those are gimmicky.

Haunted

If so many players are on mobile and might concede when the game takes too along, maybe I should just take my time roping next session.

enkYjB0.jpg

Reno decks are practically nonexistent on ladder already. For all that complaining people were doing it sure didn't take long for things to go back to normal.

Dragner

Just died to Force of Nature + Innervate + Force of Nature + Innervate + Savage Roar from 23 health.

Don't worry guys, Druid is totally fine.

You died to a 5 card combo. That you get 1 in 100 games. Every class has some sort of wombo combo OTK that need a million cards (like the wargen warrior deck or the arcane golem/faceless warlock).

Duster

After several attempts I finally got the summoning stone > Mind Control dream.

It turns out faceless manipulator doesn't copy Shades of Naxx properly atm.

In other news I love Tournament Medic, so many players fail to take it seriously and then before you know it it's taunted, buffed, inner fired, working with other minions, removing the downside from life tap etc. Even if an opponent does take it seriously it often draws removal.

Lumine

Wierd, pretty sure I should have my 3 wins for this Druid quest, but it didn't count the last one. New bug?

Oh, re-logging the game fixed it. Never mind!

Anyway, I tried to make a Reno Druid. You know, for shits and giggles. Also sick of combo. It has worked surprisingly well thus far actually. Last match was actually against a Reno Mage. He didn't get a single damage in, while I did over 60 (He used Reno + Healbot) damage to him. Without combo even! :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just made what I like to call Mill Mage.

Shit ton of spells. Torch gives you two more after you play your two. Brought Nef for 2 more spells along with Archmage for more spells.

This Paly didn't know what hit him when I tried the deck. LoL

ZZMitch

Just made what I like to call Mill Mage.

Shit ton of spells. Torch gives you two more after you play your two. Brought Nef for 2 more spells along with Archmage for more spells.

This Paly didn't know what hit him when I tried the deck. LoL

Wheres the milling part? :p

I have never had anyone concede after I draw Reno. Perhaps I let them believe they can win TOO much.
It was great the few times I played him against aggro when he first came out. There were the games where after he was played for a gain of 25+ and the other player would hover over him for 10-30 seconds.

What I love about Renolock (and to a lesser extent kibler's Reno dragon mage) is the versatility of the deck(s).

There are just so many lines of play and possibilties with the highlander style of decks.

ZealousD

Just died to Force of Nature + Innervate + Force of Nature + Innervate + Savage Roar from 23 health.

Don't worry guys, Druid is totally fine.

That doesn't actually add up. With two innervates you are looking at 14 mana but that's a 15 mana combo. Mind telling us the missing piece?

Not to mention that dying to a 5 card combo is really nothing special.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wheres the milling part? :p

I let them mill themselves. I won cause Paly ran divine favour. He got to fatigue, and I had 5 cards left. Ice Block basically allowed me to last a turn or two against low minions so I could AOE clear, and still be ahead in terms of HP.

It was more just fatigue than mill. My bad on that. :p

bjaelke

This week's Tavern Brawl is:

Captain Blackheart's Treasure
The captain left treasure for EVERYONE, but mostly for you! Each turn, open a chest of three random cards and choose one to put in your hand.

Raxus

This week's Tavern Brawl is:

Captain Blackheart's Treasure
The captain left treasure for EVERYONE, but mostly for you! Each turn, open a chest of three random cards and choose one to put in your hand.

Guys, please try discovery! Pleasepleasepleaseplease.

Miletius

Priest have Power Word: Shield which draws you 2 cards and Velen's Chosen. Neither of those are gimmicky.

Just thinking that it's unusual because Priest is the only class in the game that always runs buffs (at the very least 2 PW:S are staples in Priest decks). But at the same time they don't have the best buff package. I think Velen's is probably the best individual buff, with Kings coming in second.

bjaelke

Guys, please try discovery! Pleasepleasepleaseplease.

Well they already said as much at Blizzcon. It was meant to come before LoE and give us a taste of the Discover mechanic, but technical issues meant they had to postpone it until today.

Top Bottom