• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

I've been playing around with Day9's Hat Hunter / Hat Rattle deck, and man, is it some good dumb fun. I'm drowning in hats!

VX8F9Cr.png

3Ae7mwr.png

Pooya

5 win hunter quest, let's see how the good old hybrid hunter is in this meta...

.... still sogood. I only lost to a fatigue warrior and that guy had everything.

Secret paladin. too easy lol.

Freeze mage, ahahaha. I have one flare and even that wasn't needed.

Druid... I felt so bad for him.

Renolock, killed him twice lol.

Hunter will always be good, with some decent curve nothing ever survives.

Tiger is such an underrated card, it complements highmane very well, I don't think you can survive tiger on 5 and Highmane on 6.

Owzers

5 win hunter quest, let's see how the good old hybrid hunter is in this meta...

.... still sogood. I only lost to a fatigue warrior and that guy had everything.

Secret paladin. too easy lol.

Freeze mage, ahahaha. I have one flare and even that wasn't needed.

Druid... I felt so bad for him.

Renolock, killed him twice lol.

Hunter will always be good, with some decent curve nothing ever survives.

Tiger is such an underrated card, it complements highmane very well, I don't think you can survive tiger on 5 and Highmane on 6.

what's in your hunter deck? Mine definitely needs some work, i have one hunters mark in there for twilight guardians/giants and maybe too many secrets that are slowing me down.

Fixed1979

Won my first brawl with mage pretty easily. In my second game I spent 6 turns as a priest against a mage with one health unable to do anything and eventually lost to Ant. Trying again with Priest but it seemed to be a terrible pick.

Pooya

what's in your hunter deck? Mine definitely needs some work, i have one hunters mark in there for twilight guardians/giants and maybe too many secrets that are slowing me down.

I'm not running hunter's mark, that's a mid range card. I try to use my owls well.

I'm running double freezing, one explosive for traps.

double owl. double quickshot. one glaivezooka.

argent horse riders and one arcane golem. 2 highmanes, 1 shredder, Dr. Boom. 1 Tiger. Fill the rest with the usual. Leper Gnomes, KJ etc. I'm not running loatheb, I like tiger better right now. Loatheb is good too but tiger is far more likely to hit face.

You want to increase your chances that every draw you get later is either damage or one of your high value minions and have enough 2 drops to get a good opening. in that sense even flare is bad, but flare still cycles so it's not that bad but hunter's mark is bad. It's good for mid range decks not for hybrid or face. As long as your maximize your hero power while filling your curve with cheap cards in the opening, it's really hard to not win the game by turn 6 -7.

I played rogue in brawl. Got shady dealer to proc turn 3. Later got the 4/1 2 mana stealth dude. And managed to get a deadly poison, a turn or two later got a flurry, and the turn I was going to clear board I got a autobarber to help with that. Felt like smart plays because I picked up weaker cards to get a nice combo.

isny

napkin dispenser
So tired of the decks that require no skill.

Hi, I'm a mage, I'm going to trade until I get Antonidas and then use one mana spells to fill my hand with fireballs and then fireball your face.

Hi, I'm a druid who will trade until I get combo and then combo to your face.

Hi, I'm a warrior who will armor up all game until I get Alexstrasza and Grom and or until you fatigue out.

So much salt, ugh.

bjaelke

Won my first brawl with mage pretty easily. In my second game I spent 6 turns as a priest against a mage with one health unable to do anything and eventually lost to Ant. Trying again with Priest but it seemed to be a terrible pick.

Just pick Cabal Shadow Priest whenever given the option.

I think I got a friend hooked on hearthstone finally. I've been telling him about the game for a few years now, but now that he is home with his gaming PC half way across the world, he is finally giving it a shot.

Hige

I think I got a friend hooked on hearthstone finally. I've been telling him about the game for a few years now, but now that he is home with his gaming PC half way across the world, he is finally giving it a shot.
Tell him to spend ALL THE MONEY on packs/adventures or be doomed to a life of slow, grindy mediocrity like me.

ViviOggi

Hunter is the cockroach of Hearthstone. No matter what the meta goes through... Hunter still manages to find a way.
And as new cancer lists rise it becomes a more honest class with every expansion. Getting well faced doesn't even faze me anymore in a world where Paladin and Druid exist.

I don't think I understand the comparison.

Compare their strength.

Joust was a mechanic added that sucks.
Discover was a mechanic added that is very strong.

Joust really felt like an afterthought. It was like they saw the final TGT set, thought it needed some more cards and threw in joust for the heck of it.

Joust is far to feast or famine. Sure the benefits of winning Master Jouster and Gadgetzan Jouster are strong but if you don't you are going to regret not just running Sludge Belcher or Zombie Chow.

And I will bitch about this forever, the one who starts the joust losing on ties is lame. You are going to tie on 2 and 4 drops a lot. A lot a lot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Compare their strength.

Joust was a mechanic added that sucks.
Discover was a mechanic added that is very strong.

Joust really felt like an afterthought. It was like they saw the final TGT set, thought it needed some more cards and threw in joust for the heck of it.

Joust feels like a mechanic that fit the specific theme of the set. That of a tournament. The mechanic might not be very consistent but that doesn't mean it was an afterthought. Just that it's impact would probably be localized to TGT, especially because they didn't even invent a keyword for it. They are just an expansion of battlecries, if you recall.

Not every mechanic is going to be exactly equal in power. Enrage doesn't get used very much. Nobody complains about that.

Dahbomb

If people thought aggro would go away while the greediest warlock deck ever in hearthstone exists, they're crazy or the game is completely broken.
Aggro isn't going anywhere anytime soon and it shouldn't. It's a legitimate style of deck that is healthy for the game. It's just that no single archetype should be the dominant force by a wide margin and aggro especially because of the way ladder works and how easy/cheap they are compared to other decks.

I was mostly making the statement that Hunter always manages to be the relevant in any meta. Even during the Patron days, Midrange Hunter did work especially at tournaments. Even now as there are even more aggressive options and there are tools to shutdown Hunters, they still find a way to be relevant.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Joust is basically a 50/50 for really good or really bad outcomes, and it doesn't really mix up the game that much because there's only 2 possible outcomes. Coin flip RNG just isn't fun.

With discover, there's a small chance of it being really good or really bad, but most of the time it's somewhere in the middle, and can create hundreds of interesting scenarios that you'd never see in normal games of Hearthstone.

I'm actually glad Joust cards suck too much to play, but I really hope that Discover cards are good and viable for competitive play.

Joust is basically a 50/50 for really good or really bad outcomes, and it doesn't really mix up the game that much because there's only 2 possible outcomes. Coin flip RNG just isn't fun.

Joust may appear to be a 50/50, but it's not. Like I said, people run a lot of 2 and 4 drops and since you lose if you tie, it's more like a 40/60 or worse depending on what deck you and your opponent are running.

Aggro isn't going anywhere anytime soon and it shouldn't. It's a legitimate style of deck that is healthy for the game. It's just that no single archetype should be the dominant force by a wide margin and aggro especially because of the way ladder works and how easy/cheap they are compared to other decks.

I was mostly making the statement that Hunter always manages to be the relevant in any meta. Even during the Patron days, Midrange Hunter did work especially at tournaments. Even now as there are even more aggressive options and there are tools to shutdown Hunters, they still find a way to be relevant.

Tons of people were claiming aggro decks would be non-existant, and crying about how Reno invalidates them especially.

It is not even surprisingly in the least that hunters remain relevant.

Just the other day you brought up the twitch thing that reno is like chemo to counter all the cancer you referred to as aggro decks. I responded saying that reno doesn't even really counter aggro decks. I think I was right then and right now. Specific lists with reno might fair well vs aggro, I'll buy that. Like reno paladin or warrior perhaps.

But going by twitch chat, chemo jackson... lol. Lets assume (just hypothetically) that reno decks win when they draw reno. That'll likely only happen less 50% of the time to begin with. I am certaintly not saying reno sucks suck vs aggro, that'll remain on a list per list basis.

Joust feels like a mechanic that fit the specific theme of the set. That of a tournament. The mechanic might not be very consistent but that doesn't mean it was an afterthought.

It wasn't even shown with the first reveals of TGT. It was the "oh they added something else" moment and still didn't add anything.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I still think Discover is more powerful in arena than Constructed. Semi-random draws are only good when they come at a notable discount, which is why cards like Dark Peddler or Ethereal Conjurer might see play but Jeweled Scarab or Tomb Spider probably won't.

But in arena, your deck is mostly semi-random anyway so it is a stronger effect there.

Tagyhag

Damn, I know the whole point of discover is to get what you need, but I'm getting seriously out-discovered in this brawl lol.

I still think Discover is more powerful in arena than Constructed. Semi-random draws are only good when they come at a notable discount, which is why cards like Dark Peddler or Ethereal Conjurer might see play but Jeweled Scarab or Tomb Spider probably won't.

But in arena, your deck is mostly semi-random anyway so it is a stronger effect there.

I think the reason discover is good is because they slanted the RNG in favor for class cards by about 400%.

I think otherwise it might just be acceptable. Less bullshit RNG than shredder because you have a lot more control. But really the class card stuff makes it come out ahead, you're way more likely to get a spell option when you want one and way more likely to get a good minion.

ViviOggi

Not in a million years are they gonna print so many earlygame, non-minion removal options that you can afford to play a list that consistently wins jousts - and even then you get rekt against midrange losing a crucial joust against Highmane/Boom/Tirion/Lore etc., or half your deck turns into straight up garbage when you queue into control

Joust is a flop let's be honest here

At least inspire is a reasonable mechanic in arena whereas joust is just an annoying rng element there

LoE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TGT, they could literally cancel the remaining wings and the 5 day long Reno era alone would still blow TGT out of the water

Dahbomb

Tomb Spider is really dependent on if Beast decks are a thing. If not it won't see play in Constructed.

Discover is a pretty strong mechanic especially in Arena. In Constructed it will be on a case by case basis. I have difficulty seeing a card like Ethereal Conjuror not seeing play.

The expected result of a Discovery is WELL above average. If discover gave you a choice between two cards then the expected value would still be above average. The fact that you get 3 options and there is high weightage on class cards makes Discover pretty strong. It's only weakness is that Discover is tied to low tempo cards and rightfully so.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

No doubt. In constructed, there's maybe reason to say that a simple draw a card would be a higher valued card text because every card in your deck is picked to give you as much value as possible. So more often than not you'll end up with a less valuable card, even with the possibility to triple up on a card and pick to fit the scenario.

In arena, every single card was already picked in the same manner as discover, except discover lets you pick for the scenario and gives way higher chances of getting class legendaries.

Pooya

Specific discover cards are really strong, like that priest card, it's essentially play a 2 drop get a dark cultista lot of time with a chance of getting Sylvanas, belcher or a shredder. there are so many good deathrattle minions beside those still, the worst one is maybe skeleton knight. With it being skewed toward class cards, you're very likely to get a dark cultist.

Then there is that 1 mana druid card, I think that's really good if you choose it for spells, druid might have some really slow spells, but few of them are useless. Like if you get a starfall or dark wispers you won't be sad. The bad options are moonfire, astral and tree of life pretty much. I think the chances are very good there too.

Now imagine if there was a 1 drop that was discover a 0-mana card, it would be too good. I hope we get that for a certain class...

Top Bottom