• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

These weird mage decks are really annoying, you can't plan for anything. anything is possible, f creativity. I have no idea what are those secrets when he played like 5 secrets and summoning stone, I have no idea what you are doing. just play freeze mage or tempo so that I know how to play. Playing patron seems really awful right now with all these weird shit, without proper planning the deck is helpless. I'm thinking of putting charge and worgen now, there is always could be an out like that. /rant

also f priests. /salt

I've run into so many of these random Reno Mage decks. It honestly feels like most people just throw random crap in a deck and go nuts with no real focused gameplan on how to get to Reno or even make him worthwhile. I've even run into Mages playing Spellbender, of all things.

Xanathus

I was trying to save classic packs until the next full expansion but I caved and opened the 8 I had saved up last night. Managed to get Cenarius, so I think I will save to 8 classic packs all the time now.

They don't add cards to the classic packs with expansions, there's no reason to save packs.

sibarraz

Banned
The problem with those reno decks is that they don't had either that much minions or that much removal, so in the end they don't achieve anything

bjaelke

I hope/assume Brann Bronzebeard is bugged on release and brewmaster returns two copies of the same minion with Brann in play.

Ketch

All you guys playing Reno Jackson cannot tell me you wont put the golden monkey into your deck immediately upon release.

bjaelke

That looks to be a very one-sided Tavern Brawl:

8614.png

More pictures here: Five Upcoming Tavern Brawl Images

I've run into so many of these random Reno Mage decks. It honestly feels like most people just throw random crap in a deck and go nuts with no real focused gameplan on how to get to Reno or even make him worthwhile. I've even run into Mages playing Spellbender, of all things.
Spell bender and counter spell are amazing techs against paladin decks. Of course taking them to ranked is a big risk but stealing guardian of kings and blocking muster for battle....no better feeling.

All you guys playing Reno Jackson cannot tell me you wont put the golden monkey into your deck immediately upon release.

You have to play three separate cards, two of which don't even start in your deck, in order to get the Golden Monkey's effect. And even when it does go off, it's pretty likely to go horribly wrong. You won't have any more removals except for junk like Hemet, Rend, and Tink (Black Knight is probably the only really good legendary removal and it only applies to specific targets), you won't have any reliable AOE, and you might get stuck with straight up garbage like Major Domo, Millhouse, Nat, Gruul, or Hogger. Even if you do get Reno after you play the Golden Monkey, you have no way of knowing whether it will trigger or not unless you're already in fatigue. Elise Starseeker might be a passable 4 drop because her stats are playable, but nothing else about that card is worthwhile.

Haunted

These weird mage decks are really annoying, you can't plan for anything. anything is possible, f creativity. I have no idea what are those secrets when he played like 5 secrets and summoning stone, I have no idea what you are doing. just play freeze mage or tempo so that I know how to play. Playing patron seems really awful right now with all these weird shit, without proper planning the deck is helpless. I'm thinking of putting charge and worgen now, there is always could be an out like that. /rant

also f priests. /salt
This is one of the most positive and inspiring posts about the Hearthstone meta I've read in a while. Like, legitimately gives me hope for the game.

Ketch

You have to play three separate cards, two of which don't even start in your deck, in order to get the Golden Monkey's effect. And even when it does go off, it's pretty likely to go horribly wrong. You won't have any more removals except for junk like Hemet, Rend, and Tink (Black Knight is probably the only really good legendary removal and it only applies to specific targets), you won't have any reliable AOE, and you might get stuck with straight up garbage like Major Domo, Millhouse, Nat, Gruul, or Hogger. Even if you do get Reno after you play the Golden Monkey, you have no way of knowing whether it will trigger or not unless you're already in fatigue. Elise Starseeker might be a passable 4 drop because her stats are playable, but nothing else about that card is worthwhile.

Lots of people thought reno jackson was gonna be bad too....

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Elise Starseeker is a terrible card.

And Reno is about 5 million light years away from Elise. That's not an argument.

Reno's condition might be difficult to meet, but the payoff is significant, and you know exactly what you're getting when it triggers. It also counters the pre-Reno meta which was almost entirely aggro. The Golden Monkey's condition is also difficult to meet since you have to draw the first card, shuffle a second card into your deck and then draw it, and then shuffle a third card into your deck and draw it. The game will probably be over before you draw the second card. Even if you do manage to draw and play all three cards, the pay off is questionable. It might win you the game, and it might replace your deck with garbage.

Phawx

They don't add cards to the classic packs with expansions, there's no reason to save packs.

I wasn't doing it for that reason XD. I was trying to amass a large amount of card packs because I believe I would have a better chance of getting a legendary by rapidly opening 50 packs vs opening them one at a time.

Edit: Are card packs predetermined what's inside of them?

Haunted

I wasn't doing it for that reason XD. I was trying to amass a large amount of card packs because I believe I would have a better chance of getting a legendary by rapidly opening 50 packs vs opening them one at a time.

Doesn't make a difference, but everyone has their own little superstitions. :D

I believe they are randomised at opening.

The odds are the exact same. If you open 50 packs all at once or you open 50 packs 1 at a time as they come in, your expected results don't change. It might look like your odds are improved when you open a big block of 50 and you wind up pulling 3 legendaries, but really, you would've pulled those same 3 legendaries if you had opened those packs right when you got them. It just would've been spread out over time so you wouldn't feel like you were winning big like you do when you pull a bunch of legendaries from a mass pack opening. You're not doing yourself any favors by holding on to packs. You're just delaying getting new cards unnecessarily.

Haunted

The odds are the exact same. If you open 50 packs all at once or you open 50 packs 1 at a time as they come in, your expected results don't change. It might look like your odds are improved when you open a big block of 50 and you wind up pulling 3 legendaries, but really, you would've pulled those same 3 legendaries if you had opened those packs right when you got them. It just would've been spread out over time so you wouldn't feel like you were winning big like you do when you pull a bunch of legendaries from a mass pack opening. You're not doing yourself any favors by holding on to packs. You're just delaying getting new cards unnecessarily.
No harm in people creating their own little rituals and superstitions for opening packs, it's how humans work.

Day9 always opens his packs in a star-shaped patterns and laments fucking up when he misclicks. Obviously everyone knows that doesn't change anything, but it's still fun to watch.

edit: in PvE related woes, I can't fucking escape the temple on heroic. Don't have a doomsayer or ice block for the obvious freeze mage strategy. :(

No harm in people creating their own little rituals and superstitions for opening packs, it's how humans work.

Day9 always opens his packs in a star-shaped patterns and laments fucking up when he misclicks. Obviously everyone knows that doesn't change anything, but it's still fun to watch.

There's a significant difference between opening packs in a star shaped pattern and holding on to packs for two months until you get a big pile of them to open at once. It's his choice, he can do things however he wants, I was just pointing out that it's actually slowing down his card progression.

edit: in PvE related woes, I can't fucking escape the temple on heroic. Don't have a doomsayer or ice block for the obvious freeze mage strategy. :(

I did it with a Control Warrior with extra emphasis spell on removals. Weapons aren't particularly useful since you can't tank that much damage, so drop War Axe and Death's Bite for Crush and Bouncing Blade. Brawl is amazing. And keep in mind that he wipes his own board at the end of a certain turn. Taunts like Annoy-o-Tron and Deathlord are great because even if they don't kill anything, they'll absorb 10+ damage and set up Executes. I would've done it on my first try, but I played Deathwing a turn too early and couldn't survive the final turn.

Haunted

It's definitely more fun opening a big batch of packs all at once instead of one every couple days, though. :D

I did it with a Control Warrior with extra emphasis spell on removals. Weapons aren't particularly useful since you can't tank that much damage, so drop War Axe and Death's Bite for Crush and Bouncing Blade. Brawl is amazing. And keep in mind that he wipes his own board at the end of a certain turn. Taunts like Annoy-o-Tron and Deathlord are great because even if they don't kill anything, they'll absorb 10+ damage and set up Executes. I would've done it on my first try, but I played Deathwing a turn too early and couldn't survive the final turn.
Good suggestion.

I'm trying it right now with a taunt warrior, but I can already see that a second Shield Slam, a second Brawl, a Bouncing Blade and a Deathwing sure would be useful.

edit: FUCK made it to the very last turn but didn't draw the brawl. Shows that it's definitely doable with this deck and some luck, though.

edit²: DONE! Sylvanas and Brawl save the day.

Phawx

Doesn't make a difference, but everyone has their own little superstitions. :D

I believe they are randomised at opening.

Computers do a very bad job at making random numbers.

Pooya

The packs actually aren't fully random, there is indeed a definite 'pack distance' in the game. Meaning the maximum number of packs you can go without getting a legendary, it's 30 something, it's not random actually. People have figured this out statistically when TGT launched, it's somewhere on reddit. Now if you open 50 packs together or 1 by 1 it might not matter or maybe it does matter... see we really can't be sure how the system works, there are indeed some strings attached behind the scenes.

squidyj

with all the fallout I've been playing the days have sort of started to bleed together so I forgot when the last wing came out. turns out it was thursday. okay.

isny

napkin dispenser
Having a Peacekeeper in hand when an Aggro Druid innervates out Fel Reaver on Turn 3. So good.

Is that deck still being run? I haven't come across it this week more than maybe once since Reno was released and everyone and their mom started playing Warrior and Warlock.

jgminto

Is that deck still being run? I haven't come across it this week more than maybe once since Reno was released and everyone and their mom started playing Warrior and Warlock.

I still run into it once in a while, the perfect hand will likely shut down a Reno deck before they can use it.

Mulgrok

I play Djinni on turn 5 and see my opponents hover over it for a while before doing anything. Then I hero power and kings the token and they hover over the djinni for a lot longer before conceding.

Mulgrok

Yup I stated before that Rag is back.

Well it's still better than Knife Juggler deciding games early on. Late game RNG is not as bad.

I had 7 hp and lethal next turn with 7 minions on the board. Opponent plays rag and it hits my face. Such skill.

EDIT: Finally tried my buff paladin deck in ranked. I won my first match against a ramp druid at rank 5. Deck is probably very inconsistent though due to getting not drawing a nice mix of buffs and minions at the start.

EDIT2: buff deck list

I lack stuff like Tirion, Darkbane, Coghammer, etc.

CoolOff

A Reno-handlock fooled me by dropping a turn 2 Dark Peddler. I guess it cycles with the card draw, but man, I played that as if it where Zoo and got destroyed. :(

A Reno-handlock fooled me by dropping a turn 2 Dark Peddler. I guess it cycles with the card draw, but man, I played that as if it where Zoo and got destroyed. :(

If you're facing warlock on ladder, just assume it is reno. The deck already went cancer.

edit:
Also, especially if they play dark peddler tbh. Seen that every single time.

Dahbomb

Cancer should only be used for decks that use shitty, annoying deathrattle minions not slower control decks.

ie. You kill them but they keep coming back.

That's why Reno Jackson is now nicknamed Chemo Jackson.

Xanathus

This is why you don't play decks where you have to guess what your opponent is playing, just play Secret Pally or Tempo Mage or Hunter or Druid and do your standard mulligans.

Cancer should only be used for decks that use shitty, annoying deathrattle minions not slower control decks.

ie. You kill them but they keep coming back.

That's why Reno Jackson is now nicknamed Chemo Jackson.

Cancer is for any deck that is netdecked obsessively. Also it isn't like aggro can't beat the deck, they'll just do their thing and kill before reno is drawn half the time.

greepoman

Had a 5 win quest for druid. Went with standard combo druid. Crushed 4 reno decks in a row and another deck that probably was but died before I could tell. So adorable when they heal to full and still die from full health the next turn lol.

Xanathus

Had a 5 win quest for druid. Went with standard combo druid. Crushed 4 reno decks in a row and another deck that probably was but died before I could tell. So adorable when they heal to full and still die from full health the next turn lol.

That's what I've been saying all the time about reno decks, Reno doesn't do anything much if the opponent has board control and wins with burst damage. A lot of the time it just stalls one more turn which is similar to a Freeze Mage using Frost Nova except you get the body.

Xanathus

reno is good against face hunter and maybe tempo mage. Basically, any class that depends on a lot of spell damage.

Not even tempo mage, unless the tempo mage is dumb enough to just throw burn spells at face without lethal. Proper tempo mage uses spells to gain board control.

Top Bottom