• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think the reason discover is good is because they slanted the RNG in favor for class cards by about 400%.

That improves the mechanic but semi-random class cards are still on average worse than a card specifically included in your deck. Not every class card is a winner or usable. Now, with something like Dark Peddler where the Warlock 1-slot is fairly potent and the effect comes at a pretty significant discount these things stack together to create a strong card.

But look at something like Tomb Spider. Yes, you might get Savage Combatant or Mounted Raptor fairly often but in a Druid Beast deck you are running two-of these anyway. I think I'd rather just run more solid beasts that fit the archetype like Stranglethorn Tiger.

Now, Tempo Mage might have reason to run Ethereal Conjurer. You'll always get a Mage class card and it has pretty good stats for a 5 mana draw card. Way more consistent and easier to play than Saraad. Plus the card you get is guaranteed to work for your deck's archetype.

Dahbomb

Kripp thinks that Raven Idol is so good in Arena that it might propel Druid to be a top class in Arena.

A 1 drop that Discovers a 0 cost card would be insane in Rogue.

Pooya

Raven Idol is probably the most flexible card in the game, it's like spend one 1 mana and you can find a solution to your current situation.

He's right about arena, you have a very good shot to get a big ass taunt from it for example. I got 4 ancient of wars in this brawl just now lolz.

If you use it for spell, you can get a board clear between swipe, starfall and force of nature. Also dark wispers is super good in arena, every time I drafted it it did win games. Specially if you have savage roar, you can use it for 5 wisps even if it looks like your opponent can't kill the mall. The taunt is huge too. Like I said there are like 2-3 really bad spells.

In the set, priest, warlock, mage and druid got a discover class card, I'd guess the rest will get one too someday.

ViviOggi

Dank Peddler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TGT

And yeah with the newly discovered 4x class card rate Raven Idol is obscene in arena, plus it's a common. Druid was already high tier in TGT arena, just behind the holy trinity of Rogue/Paladin/Mage.

Pooya

Warrior could use a card like discover a weapon, lol so op. Maybe they are printing these awful weapons to some day print that card actually. We had king's defender now cursed blade. Warrior keeps getting a weapon every set. Between ogre and those two already, it's not that broken actually.

It could be one way to help warrior in arena too.

Dahbomb

The funny thing was that people were expecting this to be among the weaker wings of the set. Also even if few people are using it that new Paladin Secret is legit and it helps their aggro match up a lot. I have been using it and have already sniped some Drs with it. That Shade card is legit in Aggro Druids as well. And just about every Mage has been using that Torch.

Next week is insane though. Brann, Mounted Raptor, Unearthed Raptor, Keeper of Uldaman, Ethereal Conjurer, Tunnel Trogg etc.

ZealousD

You know I tried to build a Beast Druid deck again with Mounted Raptor in it and it just convinced me even more that Tomb Spider won't find a place in it. Not only is it competing against necessary Beast and Beast Synergy cards it also competes against core Druid cards like Swipe.

You can't make Beast Druid work without painful sacrifices already. Tomb Spider just doesn't fit. The only way you could fit it in without cutting core class cards is to do something like cut Wildwalker. And if you cut Wildwalker then the only Beast Synergy card you are left with is Druid of the Fang. At that point, why even run beasts over aggro or midrange Druid?

Acinixys

Just got comboed by druid in tavern brawl. Fuck me

My picks in my first brawl were pretty disgusting

He has a full board on turn 4

I get Elemental Destruction

He gets me down to 10 HP

I get Lava Shock turn 5

Clear his board and unlock my crystals

"You have bested me"

laugh.gif

I presume it would have. Nah, I had ditched all my pirates at that point.

It is kind of an odd call, because if you play coldlight or similar more pirates do come out.

Somebody find out, for science!

And yes, raven idol is nuts with the class weighting. Even just the extra chance of getting a ramp spell on curve is going to make combo druid even more consistent.

Turn 1 (going second) booms all day.

Valygar

You were discussing joust vs discover early. I think they may be complementary.

Let's say you put a scarab 2 1/1 that discovers a 3 mana card. Or a 2/2 with 2 mana peddler that discovers a 1 mana card.
Overall the discover mechanic adds more cost to your cards, mana curve can apparently be more to the right but instead more normal.

You have let's say 30 cards centered on 4 but taking into account discovery results its more like 34 cards centered on 3 mana cost... But joust mechanic will use the first costs, not the hidden cards.

We will see... With this and reno, games will get longer.

Just had a hilarious brawl where I picked Majordomo and after I turned into Rag my opponent played Jaraxxus. I still won with a 50% chance hero power.

Duster

You were discussing joust vs discover early. I think they may be complementary.

Let's say you put a scarab 2 1/1 that discovers a 3 mana card. Or a 2/2 with 2 mana peddler that discovers a 1 mana card.
Overall the discover mechanic adds more cost to your cards, mana curve can apparently be more to the right but instead more normal.

You have let's say 30 cards centered on 4 but taking into account discovery results its more like 34 cards centered on 3 mana cost... But joust mechanic will use the first costs, not the hidden cards.

We will see... With this and reno, games will get longer.

Get the early discovers in then you can use Brann to double Joust's changes too right?

Kripp thinks that Raven Idol is so good in Arena that it might propel Druid to be a top class in Arena.

A 1 drop that Discovers a 0 cost card would be insane in Rogue.

But why would I pay 1 mana to get prep, which is already free. That 1 drop would have to be pretty compelling itself.

Now if it were a 4 mana 3/5 or something with a value at a cost that matters, that discovers perhaps any spell... that'd be awesome.

How about a spell that has combo: discover a spell. Brilliant.

Sheroking

You know I tried to build a Beast Druid deck again with Mounted Raptor in it and it just convinced me even more that Tomb Spider won't find a place in it. Not only is it competing against necessary Beast and Beast Synergy cards it also competes against core Druid cards like Swipe.

You can't make Beast Druid work without painful sacrifices already. Tomb Spider just doesn't fit. The only way you could fit it in without cutting core class cards is to do something like cut Wildwalker. And if you cut Wildwalker then the only Beast Synergy card you are left with is Druid of the Fang. At that point, why even run beasts over aggro or midrange Druid?

Tomb Spider definitely doesn't fit in a Druid list. I think it works in a more midrange beast hunter deck, though, because they've got ALL of the 3 drops and only really Houndmaster on 4.

Discover is potentially so powerful that Tomb Spider may be among the most common win conditions for that list. Say you've got kill commands and a quick shot and your JUST out of lethal range. Well, fishing for a low curve beast like Angry Chicken could be your win condition.

Or maybe you're in need of a big minion? Well, Tomb Spider has a HIGH chance of giving you a Gah'zrilla or King Krush. Maybe you need a board clear? Hear comes Acidmaw.

Dahbomb

Why would you need to fish for another beast to activate Kill Command when Tomb Spider is already a beast?

It is true that Tomb Spider would fit in that awkward gap for beasts between Animal Companion and Ram Wrangler/Highmane. There's no good 4 drop Beast available for Hunters, they end up just using Shredders for that slot. Combined with King's Elekk Beast Hunter might have more staying power.

Sheroking

Why would you need to fish for another beast to activate Kill Command when Tomb Spider is already a beast?

You'd fish for a low curve beast to do double KC, hero power, quickshot, etc. Something that enables a giant burst.

4 mana Tomb Spider is too expensive to enable that by itself and you run the risk of scaring them in a big heal like Alex or Reno over two turns. Then you lose your win condition. I grant you that this is a specific scenario, but point is Tomb Spider is malleable and could give you multiple different types of win conditions based on the game.

sibarraz

Banned
I will totally change dark cultist for museum curator in dragon priest because

1) Dark Cultist doesn't help that much against Rogue/Warrior/Paladin
2) This deck only has wyrmrest agent as a 2 mana drop, so even if I need that dark cultist, this card could help to get a better curve or even use it as a body for velen's choosen

zer0das

Banned
It is kind of an odd call, because if you play coldlight or similar more pirates do come out.

Somebody find out, for science!

And yes, raven idol is nuts with the class weighting. Even just the extra chance of getting a ramp spell on curve is going to make combo druid even more consistent.

Turn 1 (going second) booms all day.

I don't think Reno's battlecry works in tavern brawl. Because someone else played Reno against me, and it didn't work. Couldn't see his hand, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have doubles.

I don't think Reno's battlecry works in tavern brawl. Because someone else played Reno against me, and it didn't work. Couldn't see his hand, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have doubles.

Well, your entire deck is the same card so that's about the worst time possible for Reno.

Of course, it could not actually work. There are cards in Tavern Brawl that don't (Sideshow Spelleater)

Dahbomb

LoE is just showing me to not preorder packs again. Now I just need some time to actually play this game.
I think TGT did enough of that. Probably why they released the adventure so close after unveiling, they didn't want people griding out the gold in advance.

Owzers

a whole lot of losing in hearthstone lately, lost as hunter to what looked like a reno warlock before i even go to the reno! Then lost to a midrange paladin as a secret paladin....i got to rank 5 with hunter last season and i'm stuck at around 10 right now.

Kangi

Love this Tavern Brawl.

Opponent discovers a Tirion. I discover a Mind Control. He discovers a Faceless Manipulator. I discover an Ironbeak Owl.

Priest is fun when you get to choose your options each turn. "This turn needs a Lightbomb" or "that needs a Shadow Word: Pain". Holy Nova still finds a way to always evade me, though.

Dahbomb

Sucks that this brawl only allows minions and spells. Sorely missing the weapons =(
Wait you can't get weapons from Discover?

That is really strange. RIP in pepperonis Warrior.

Also RIP most draw cards and Joust cards in this Brawl. In addition to cards which interact with the deck like Beneath the Grounds and Gang Up. On the other hand Recycle is a legit removal because they will probably never draw that card again.

ZealousD

Wait you can't get weapons from Discover?

That is really strange. RIP in pepperonis Warrior.

Also RIP most draw cards and Joust cards in this Brawl. In addition to cards which interact with the deck like Beneath the Grounds and Gang Up. On the other hand Recycle is a legit removal because they will probably never draw that card again.

Draw cards will give you more pirates. I mean maybe it's not optimal but they definitely aren't useless.

Dahbomb

Draw cards will give you more pirates. I mean maybe it's not optimal but they definitely aren't useless.
They have diminished value than normal same as Joust cards. The Pirates aren't even the actual Bloodsail Raiders.

The 2/3s don't stack up later on when both players start putting down Legendaries. That's why when you get the option to get a draw card you should be thinking twice about it.

oh shit, i didnt know that spectating two friends did that upside down card thing. I thought that was just ppl doing some sick stream overlay thing. Mind blown

Dahbomb

I just killed a Hunter's Gazrilla (which was at 12 attack) with a fucking Hemit top discover. Dude popped off with some emoticons and immediately rage quit.

Bo2BG.gif

I have never done this in my life.

ZealousD

They have diminished value than normal same as Joust cards. The Pirates aren't even the actual Bloodsail Raiders.

The 2/3s don't stack up later on when both players start putting down Legendaries. That's why when you get the option to get a draw card you should be thinking twice about it.

Well when your hand is empty and your picks aren't optimal it isn't so bad. I picked Sprint once or twice because it's pretty easy to burn through cards as a Rogue in this brawl.

Top Bottom