• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

How does the "discover a class card" works?

You have one of each class, or you select a class and then a card?
You have one of each class.

So you get presented 3 cards and they will always be 3 different class cards. So a Kabal Discover will always give one Priest, one Warlock and one Mage card.

fertygo

Cho'Gall is terrible in Renolock because it doesn't have enough spells that synergize with it. The spells either do too much damage to your hero, have too little impact, or they end up hurting Cho'Gall himself. Mage doesn't have either of these problems. They have a full kit of expensive spells that don't damage this card, and this card doesn't make them worry about their life total.

but the same consistency problem still persist, how often you get this card + big spell to combo in same hnd?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
but the same consistency problem still persist, how often you get this card + big spell to combo in same hnd?

In Reno Mage? Fairly often I would think. Kibler even runs cards like Flame Lance in that deck, just to give himself more removal. I even mentioned some of the other cards you can combo with it. Anything 5 mana or more is solid, and 4 mana is fine.

bjaelke

In Reno Mage? Fairly often I would think. Kibler even runs cards like Flame Lance in that deck, just to give himself more removal. I even mentioned some of the other cards you can combo with it. Anything 5 mana or more is solid, and 4 mana is fine.

Most people run that in Reno Mage nowadays.

Dahbomb

It's better than 60% I can tell you that much.

It's probably going to be about as consistent as Fandral in Malygos Druid (or slightly more) because it has about the same number of cards and it comes out later.

Fandral - 2 Raven Idols, 2 Wraths, 2 Feral Rages, 2 Living Roots
Mage Legendary - Flamestrike, Kazakus spell, Blizzard, Fireball, Cabalist's Tome, Flamelance, Pyroblast, Polymorph

And unlike Fandral, you can use it with a cheaper spell in an emergency if you really need to.

Cho'gall isn't even a bad card it just doesn't fit particularly well in any existing deck. This card has a similar effect but MUCH better class synergy. People will play it I'm pretty sure.

sibarraz

Banned
It's better than 60% I can tell you that much.

It's probably going to be about as consistent as Fandral in Malygos Druid (or slightly more) because it has about the same number of cards and it comes out later.

Fandral - 2 Raven Idols, 2 Wraths, 2 Feral Rages, 2 Living Roots
Mage Legendary - Flamestrike, Kazakus spell, Blizzard, Fireball, Cabalist's Tome, Flamelance, Pyroblast, Polymorph

And unlike Fandral, you can use it with a cheaper spell in an emergency if you really need to.

Speaking of fandral, when is the best time to use it? according to the situation, or you mus look for an specific combo?

ZealousD

Cho'gall isn't even a bad card it just doesn't fit particularly well in any existing deck. This card has a similar effect but MUCH better class synergy. People will play it I'm pretty sure.

The problem is the life penalty. Warlock doesn't have enough life gain, so the spells you want to work with Cho'Gall have to be amazing or heal you. Like Siphon Soul. That's a high bar for a spell to meet, which makes the card kind of bad imo.

Welp, secrets are coming back for Mage I guess because Kabal Lackey is fucking broken. I can't believe they're actually printing that.

Inkmaster Solia seems...meh. Obviously it's ridiculous if you can combine it with Flamestrike or something but I have the feeling that each of the 30 card slots in Reno Mage is going to be at a premium. Not sure Solia is good enough. Though combining it with Kazakus may just make it worthwhile to play.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Welp, secrets are coming back for Mage I guess because Kabal Lackey is fucking broken. I can't believe they're actually printing that.

Inkmaster Solia seems...meh. Obviously it's ridiculous if you can combine it with Flamestrike or something but I have the feeling that each of the 30 card slots in Reno Mage is going to be at a premium. Not sure Solia is good enough. Though combining it with Kazakus may just make it worthwhile to play.

Maybe they will give Mage some powerful 8+ mana spell with this expansion.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. I'm liking that Kibler Mage Legendary.

More support for Reno/Kazakus decks is great IMO. Obviously with Kazakus coming out at 4 you can already have an OP potion to throw out when turn 7 rolls around.

But assuming most of the time you're going to be playing something like Fireball at the low end this card is ok. Control/Reno mages don't usually have lots of minions in the deck so the chance of having a high cost spell to put out is pretty good IMO. Flamestrike, Firelands Portal, Flame Lance and Blizzard are all cards that deck frequently has and any of them would be amazing with this. FIrelands Portal especially, since it gives you the legendary and whatever it summons for the same cost. Pretty awesome right there.

Probably not a game breaking card, but a fun one for sure.

Szadek

Whatever is the best play according to the situation or the match up. Hard to answer it as a rule of thumb.
Well, I would say on curve vs aggro and other fast deck if you have nothing better than 3/5 and vs slower deck keep him for combos.

Anyway, the mage card is pretty amazing in reno lock.
Even a 3 mana spells is decent, everything beyond that great to fantastic.
You are playing Kazakus anyway, so that's another 5-10 mana spells for this card.

Levi

Banned
eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3Bicy50d2ltZy5jb20vbWVkaWEvQ3hVZEtMVVhnQUFsVjZaLmpwZzpsYXJnZSJ9.DQQBBh83YF7Hi3i3gaJFdIObGm0

0 Mana Pyroblast seems good to me.

ZealousD

I still can't get over how poorly designed Auctioneer Beardo is.

It looks like one of those cards that was designed by a neural network.

Man, just looking at the cards we've gotten over the last 2 days, I feel so damn bad for Paladin lol.

Why? Paladin got quartermaster 2.0 aka dopplegangster along with really solid card draw and buffing mechanics.

Murloc paladin also looks like it could be extremely solid. I've seen people experiment with murloc paladin before they even had murloc knight and it could be very strong. Now they have 3 murloc class minions and a spell that draws 3 cards plus the ability to buff them before they even hit the board.

Firebrand

I hate Justicar with a passion. If a warrior or priest plays that I feel like I might just as well concede unless I'm already way ahead.

...I'd craft it, but eh, it'll be gone in spring.

ZealousD

Lol somehow I don't think Beardo would be great in a 35 legendary deck.

Can't put my finger on exactly why.

He's actually a good pick for a 35 legendary deck. For the same reason the twin sisters are run in that deck even though it has zero buffs. The text is irrelevant because it is a 3 mana 3/4 and that deck loves some fair early game.

G.ZZZ

The Kabal Courier is a trap card. Like Kirin Tor Mage, it's tempo in exchange for negative card advantage, and mage secrets are also really bad value if played early (mirror entity, duplicate, effigy, counterspells vs the coin etc...) , or are counter-productive to a style of deck that want tempo (ice barrier and ice block). Spellbender work probably best here, since it works as a counterspell anyway early game that sometimes leave a body down and isn't countered by a coin.

Madam Goya is probably worse, but at least she's more interesting.

If goya brings out a 6 drop, that means you got a ~3 drop (4/3) for free. It's really not that bad at all tbh if the downside can be managed. Plus you also have the opportunity to cheat out larger minions. I think people underestimate the card because of the rest of the text. And I certainly agree it's not amazing but it's not bad either. If the stats were higher like barnes, we'd see people bitching about how good it is tbh.

edit:
I also think that there could be cards in the future that you actually want to return to your deck and not even to your hand. We've seen several "activates on draw" cards and we now have a minion that plays itself from your deck (patches), so the future potential is there imo.

Dahbomb

Paladin 30-35 Legendary deck actually looking kinda legit now in Wild.

Got the 3 drops on lock especially with that new Paladin Legendary.

Haven't played in awhile, in the wood ranks currently. Hunter plays two Kill Commands on my minions while I'm at 9 life and he has a beast on the board.

I shouldn't laugh, we were all new once.

No, you're also paying with the minion that you swapped with. Which means you're either paying with the minion from another card you played or the 2 mana from your hero power.

That is getting quite specific. My point is that it's not bad, it's just not brokenly good which it could have been if it had higher stats. There is more risk to it.

Szadek

No, you're also paying with the minion that you swapped with. Which means you're either paying with the minion from another card you played or the 2 mana from your hero power.
Right. If you use the card with your hero power, it's an 8 mana 4/3 ,summon a random minion from your deck. Also, you have dead draw in your deck now.
I'm pretty sure mirror entity is pretty bad vs shaman. It's also bad vs freeze mage or any list that happens to be running doomsayer. It's also bad or merely okay vs a lot of aggro and midrange decks. And besides doomsayer, mistress of mixtures is the next best thing to copy on mirror entity.
Very good point. Many slow deck play Doomsayer and if they don't do it already, they certianly will when people start playing ME again.

Dahbomb

The bouncing back of a minion in play is actually a big deal because it makes the Battlecry a bit clunky to use in practice.

However, it's easier in Paladin and Shaman although then you would put a dead draw in your deck (not a bad idea in control vs control... oh wait...).

No, that's properly evaluating the actual cost of the card. You aren't getting that 4/3 "for free" in your example. You either remove a minion from your hand or board, pay some extra mana, or both. That's not "free".

You're not addressing my point. You're just saying my example wasn't 100% accurate. (it was not meant to be, it was just thrown out there example and not specific at all)

cHinzo

Man, just looking at the cards we've gotten over the last 2 days, I feel so damn bad for Paladin lol.
As a Paladin main, I'm just disappointed by those understatted minions yet again. Also got nothing for control and hardly anything for midrange, could use some single target removal or normal statted minions. At least the 3 and 7 drops looks fun to use and surprisingly they don't have the boring +x/+x buff. Still gonna try a buff deck out though, but not gonna spend any real money on this expansion.

Solia plus a 10 mana potion will be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom