• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Demolishing people with Questing Miracoli in this Brawl.

3 mana 20/20 pretty good.

I run Mulch in my Jade Druid this brawl for this exact reason.
Jade Duird won me my 5 tavern brawls quest with a 5-2 record. The two losses were only the times I didn't draw ANY Jade or Ramp in the opening hand (only unplayable minions).

I think this will be a fun one to go back to though. I can see myself popping in to do quests thoughout the week.

Dahbomb

IMO it's a very cool Brawl that is kinda once again ruined by Flamewaker plus Apprentice shenanigans alongside other spell combo type stuff (ie Miracoli).

Apathy gonna come in and pop off again.

Pirate Warrior in the Brawl, but now with Ship's Cannon.

Astral Druid sounds like it could be fun.

Also since you don't have duplicates, games could run for a long time with Reno/Kazakus.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Only issue with Astral Druid is that you are going to sometimes annoyingly discover Astral over and over. The deck is probably good enough though if you get it in your opener with Innervate.

Worth noting that with Patches (also anything else that pulls things from your deck -- MC, Mad Scientist, etc) after he jumps out of the deck, YOU CAN'T DISCOVER HIM ANYMORE. So that kinda put a damper on my plan for that deck. It's probably still good though.

Also Pirate Warrior with Ship's Cannnon is JUST A THING (TM) in Wild now, all the time. It's like you play the same aggro Pirate Warrior and just throw in 2x Ship's Cannon. Very standard aggro deck that can sometimes go nuts with cannon shots.

gutshot

One of my only two losses in the Brawl with Flamewaker Mage was to an Astral Druid who had the nuts of Innervate-Innverate-Astral on turn 1, into Ysera, into Y'Shaarj pulling another Y'Shaarj. BrokeBack

The other loss was a close one versus a Warlock. He had Dreadsteed which was pretty good tech against a Flamewaker deck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Which is why one of the things it explicitly says in the post is that they might wait for the rotation and see how that affects the situation? I mean.

What if instead of doing that they... didn't do that

He didn't say a single thing about rotation, implicitly or explicitly.

He said that maybe a new set will sufficiently change the meta to prevent changes.

THAT is what makes the post read so weirdly.

I don't think that thing about charge means anything. They haven't released a non-conditional neutral heal since tgt either. And there it was only the refreshment vendor.

People try to imply this means blizzard hates and/or will never print more charge cards. I think charge is an area of the game that is simply adequately covered. There are only so many permutations of charge you can print without retreading the same ground, hence they added charge minions that are good but only when you have the charge activated.

wiibomb

No it doesn't.

It needs a pirate to spontaneously spawn from your deck, it has charge on its own unconditionally.

He's right... i think he means a meaningful one, even horserider is a lot better with 2/1 and divine shield, patches instead is a conditional card that requires a pirate to be useful. Or what? Do you really think using patches from hand is a good play?

It isn't worth as a stand alone card

He didn't say a single thing about rotation, implicitly or explicitly.

Except that the next set that comes out causes a rotation....?

People try to imply this means blizzard hates and/or will never print more charge cards. I think charge is an area of the game that is simply adequately covered.

In particular the Classic and Basic cards cover enough of the base design space here that there isn't this like pressing need to include more all the time.

Triz

Man this brawl is fun as hell for a spell Yogg/arcane Giant Druid Deck. Mix in a few Jade cards, and Ive had two mages concede running Reno and Ice block. Every turn I would just hit them for 30 damage, until they were out of Ice blocks to stop it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In the value town podcast Noxious was complaining about how underrated Paladin is, saying that people just aren't building handbuff decks right and don't have a netdeck spoonfed to them yet. Apparently he thinks people overdo how many handbuff cards there are without including enough cards for those cards to buff. Argent Commander and Argent Lance being the big sleepers. Not tier 1 but easily a legend climb caliber deck.

I wonder if he has a point.

I certainly do agree that anyfin paladin is underrated. You'd think paladin was ONiK Preist levels of bad with how little you see it, but I definitely think that deck is not so bad.

I know I'm certainly not an expert with the deck, but I'm getting really discouraged playing Firebat's Miracle Rogue right now. I started at Rank 18 and can usually climb to the early teens fairly easily before I get bored. But with this deck I've slowly fallen all the way back down to rank 20 tonight. =/

I honestly don't know if MR is just not a good deck for laddering ATM, or if I just suck ass with it. All I know is that I'm tired of losing to shitty priest Inner Fire decks and other sub tier-4 decks. Heck, I just lost to a Shaman deck that played two Stranglethorn Tigets on 5 and 6, didn't reveal them, then on turn 7 played Flametongue Totem and Windspeaker on one tiger and smashed my face.

Miletius

There's no point in changing Shaman right now when they are losing Trogg and Golem soon along with the other control Shaman cards.

They should nerf Thing from Below because they should have nerfed it with Yogg. By not doing so they made it possible for Shaman to dominate the meta until the end of the year and beyond.

Also on their point of 1 drops, are they finally going to nerf or rotate out Mana Wyrm? That card is still insanely stupid.

Doubt it. With "I serve the firelord" and Arcane Blast gone Tempo mage is dead dead dead. And Blizzard lacks the foresight to see that mana wyrm would continually be a problem in aggressive mage decks.

Generally I can agree though that all 1/3 1 drops should probably be examined. If they are going to stick to printing aggressive 1/1 with an interesting mechanic they might as well take a look and see if 1/3 on 1 makes sense anymore. Not saying it doesn't, but who knows.

Blizzard

Banned
I know I'm certainly not an expert with the deck, but I'm getting really discouraged playing Firebat's Miracle Rogue right now. I started at Rank 18 and can usually climb to the early teens fairly easily before I get bored. But with this deck I've slowly fallen all the way back down to rank 20 tonight. =/

I honestly don't know if MR is just not a good deck for laddering ATM, or if I just suck ass with it. All I know is that I'm tired of losing to shitty priest Inner Fire decks and other sub tier-4 decks. Heck, I just lost to a Shaman deck that played two Stranglethorn Tigets on 5 and 6, didn't reveal them, then on turn 7 played Flametongue Totem and Windspeaker on one tiger and smashed my face.
What makes those Priest / Shaman decks bad? They sound like strategies that could work on occasion.

Is there a tier list you're going by? Maybe it changes over time as people play different decks.

Dahbomb

What makes those Priest / Shaman decks bad? They sound like strategies that could work on occasion
You answered your own question. Those decks have gimmicks that rely on sticking a minion on board, buffing it with specific cards and then winning off of it. It works too infrequently for these decks to be good.

In the value town podcast Noxious was complaining about how underrated Paladin is, saying that people just aren't building handbuff decks right and don't have a netdeck spoonfed to them yet. Apparently he thinks people overdo how many handbuff cards there are without including enough cards for those cards to buff. Argent Commander and Argent Lance being the big sleepers. Not tier 1 but easily a legend climb caliber deck.
He'a not wrong just like he'a not wrong that Midrange Hunter with curve cards like Alley Cat, Rat Packs and Kodo is a very good deck that can bully slower decks.

The issue once again is that Patches is pushing these decks out of the meta. Doesn't matter what kind of Handbuff Paladin deck you make, you aren't going to win against a Pirates deck consistently. Sure you can climb to Legend with these decks but people have climbed go Legend with worse decks so that's not saying much.

I actually agree with Blizzard here in that Hunter and Paladin being "bad" has more to do with Patches. Well more Hunter than Paladin because they have a very straightforward deathrattle beast curve deck that's easy to make and play. Paladin Handbuff deck is trickier to make and he's also right that the all in handbuff strategy isn't good.

Blizzard

Banned
You answered your own question. Those decks have gimmicks that rely on sticking a minion on board, buffing it with specific cards and then winning off of it. It works too infrequently for these decks to be good.
The rest of the decks weren't described though, so they might not be so simplistic as that. Maybe the stranglethorn tiger strategy was simply used because the player happened to have those cards set up and chose to use them.

Maybe the decks in question win more often than one expects.

Even if they truly are decks that rarely win, they can still win on occasion if someone gets lucky, because Hearthstone has a fair bit of RNG to draws and so forth. If one is confident in one's assessment of an enemy deck as bad, maybe it's best to assume bad luck for that particular game, and over the longterm statistics should even out.

Dahbomb

I have played against those decks since the beginning of HS. Those specific decks you tend to make when you are new to the game because that's all you can make a a new player. Inner Fire/Divine Spirit are basic cards along with Tiger and Windfury that you can build a deck around to beat other new players but that's not going to work as often against refined decks and players.

And I didn't say these decks don't win, I said these decks don't win enough for the average situation and player to be worthwhile considerations. I am talking about at or around 50% against the meta on average.

I have played against those decks since the beginning of HS. Those specific decks you tend to make when you are new to the game because that's all you can make a a new player. Inner Fire/Divine Spirit are basic cards along with Tiger and Windfury that you can build a deck around to beat other new players but that's not going to work as often against refined decks and players.

This is what I mean. There's a reason these people are still hanging around Rank 20. This is why I said I didn't know if I'm just piloting the deck that badly, if it's just a bad environment for MR right now, or if I'm just on a horribly unlucky streak.

Blizzard

Banned
What always feels bad to me is when I play people and they have 3+ legendaries at rank 20 against my 0-legendary deck. I can beat them sometimes, but I'm like, "Why are they still here". :p

hehe

Went up against a mill rogue with my jade druid deck

boy oh boy he realized by turn 4 that trying to mill out a druid with a 7 mana to his 4 mana wasn't going to end well for him.

hehe

Went up against a mill rogue with my jade druid deck

boy oh boy he realized by turn 4 that trying to mill out a druid with a 7 mana to his 4 mana wasn't going to end well for him.

That deck is immune to mill (and control) decks anyway. It's almost literally impossible for you to lose that matchup -- which is why I think Jade Idol is a bullshit card. I don't mind lopsided, 90-10 matchups. But you should always feel like you have *some* chance. For instance, Freeze Mage can still beat Control Warrior on rare occasions.

That deck is immune to mill (and control) decks anyway. It's almost literally impossible for you to lose that matchup -- which is why I think Jade Idol is a bullshit card. I don't mind lopsided, 90-10 matchups. But you should always feel like you have *some* chance. For instance, Freeze Mage can still beat Control Warrior on rare occasions.

It becomes completely stupid if you manage to have a fandrel+auctioneer out. You keep drawing into your jade idol whilst fililng your board and..it's completely stupid.

It'll be a sad day when Fandrel leaves the standard format.

squidyj

anyone want to trade challenge a friend quests?

NA

Maybe if Mill had been a real archetype to start with I would be more concerned.

KuroNeeko

Resurrect Priest in Brawl was pretty fun.
Had four Y'shaarjs by the time I won.

anyone want to trade challenge a friend quests?

NA

Maybe if Mill had been a real archetype to start with I would be more concerned.

Sure, mayne. We can trade!
I think you're on my FL.

edit: Or maybe not.lol
candyFrog#1327

Thanks for the games! Don't get too salty, mayne!

squidyj

Resurrect Priest in Brawl was pretty fun.
Had four Y'shaarjs by the time I won.

Sure, mayne. We can trade!
I think you're on my FL.

hmm i don't see you unless your battletag is different, quote this for my bnet
here

Also Freeze Reno in brawl, lul lul lul lul lul.

Blizzard

Banned
Weird question: I have a Jade Spirit card that keeps animating the cost in the top left corner. But, I also have a Jade Spirit card with no animation. Why is this the case? Both are non-gold.

Lumine

It's part of the new "tri-class" cards from the last expansion. Meaning it can be used only in Rogue, Shaman and Druid. It stops rotating in the actual game I think.

Blizzard

Banned
It's part of the new "tri-class" cards from the last expansion. Meaning it can be used only in Rogue, Shaman and Druid. It stops rotating in the actual game I think.
That would make sense, but I had two in my hand and only one was rotating. Maybe it was just a bug.

squidyj

I put in an eater of secrets because I knew people would try abuse them like me. The hunter wasn't happy.

yeah I played maybe 15 games with the list

ice lance
frostbolt
thalnos
loot hoarder
frost nova
arcane intellect
ice block
reno
thaurissan
blizzard

And the only thing I ever worried about was eater or flare
even deathlord which pulled my minions out was fine because it made my AIs and Ice Blocks more reliable.
I didn't bother changing it but I think the loot hoarder could be an apprentice, 2 mana ai into 0 mana discovers is pretty strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom