• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you sure you don't just live in the matrix

I know the Hearthstone cards don't exist. I know that when I open packs, my computer screen is telling me that they are shiny, and worth actual money. After playing this game for a year, you know what I realize? Digital is God.

Let's talk business, Agent Charlequin.

Blizzard

Banned
I know the Hearthstone cards don't exist. I know that when I open packs, my computer screen is telling me that they are shiny, and worth actual money. After playing this game for a year, you know what I realize? Digital is God.

Let's talk business, Agent Charlequin.
Oh man, at least you can't trade cards.

The "reality" of virtual items hit me when I finally got lucky and sold a random CSGO gun skin drop for a flat $100 SteamBucks a year or two ago.

Side note, do they remove the ability to buy packs when old themes rotate? I hadn't realized you get a free C'Thun for buying the an old gods pack, so I got one. I'm going to buy a grand tournament pack before that goes away as well. Everything I've bought has basically been classic and gadgetzan preparing for the future.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

The "reality" of virtual items hit me when I finally got lucky and sold a random CSGO gun skin drop for a flat $100 SteamBucks a year or two ago.

Side note, do they remove the ability to buy packs when old themes rotate? I hadn't realized you get a free C'Thun for buying the an old gods pack, so I got one. I'm going to buy a grand tournament pack before that goes away as well. Everything I've bought has basically been classic and gadgetzan preparing for the future.

They do rotate out, yeah. You'll even have some people that will buy a pack before they disappear to keep as a souvenir.

...and then they accidentally open it and it's gone forever.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Yeah, they remove all cards that aren't in Standard when the cards rotate from the store. A bit of an odd choice, but its what they do.

Dahbomb

Anyone have a good current Renolock list?
It's all very similar to each other at the core, the rest is up to player preference because of tech (if you want to go the combo route or want even more defense again the Pirates).

Cards that almost everyone uses in their Renolocks:

Mistress of Mixtures
Power Overwhelming
Dark Peddler
Shadowbolt
Demonwrath
Mortal Coil
Ooze
Brann
Far Seer
Imp Gang Boss
Dirty Rat
Kazakus
Twilight Drake
Second Rate Bruiser
Shadowflame
Hellfire
Refreshment Vendor
Emperor Thaurissan
Siphon Soul
Reno Jackson
Sylvanas
Abyssal Enforcer

Tech cards:

MCT (good with Bran and Dirty Rat)
Mountain Giant (card sucks more and more every day)
Defender of Argus/Sunfury Protector (if you use big bodies and Jaraxxus then you have to play at least one, maybe two taunt givers)
Faceless Shambler (if you play Mountain Giant then you kinda have to play this card too)
Twisting Nether (I always use it but it's slow enough to be cut if you get rushed down by Pirates anyway)
Alexstrasza (set up combo, heal, decent option all around)
Leeroy + Faceless package
Blast Crystal Potion/BGH (people run one or the other, I vastly prefer Blastcrystal myself)
Felfire Potion (in case you are in a midrange meta, this card is very good but currently not useful in a polarized meta so stay away for now)
Kabal Courier (another good card that you can throw in if you have space but is cuttable as it doesn't really add much to the game plan, just a generic card draw.. .I would play this if you play Mountain Giant because you can play this without sacrificing some tempo going second)
Ragnaros (if you want to go greed mode)

As you can see like half of the deck is tech options and even the cards that are "staple" are really mostly just tech options that you kinda have to include in this Pirates meta like Ooze and Second Rate Bruiser.

You always include Jaraxxus though, otherwise you might as well play some other jabroni Warlock deck like Zoolock.

This is the more traditional Renolock w/o Combo.

This is Renolock w/ Combo package.

Thanks, I was looking for a combo list with Jaraxxus but I'm not nearly versed enough with Renolock to feel confident in my own builds.

Feel kinda bad crafting Jaraxxus so shortly before rotation but I only have dust for 1 legend and any other deck I'd want to play needs 2 or more legs.

Mulgrok

Elder Scrolls Legends brought back Sheogorath Arena mode. Which is arena with random rules for each match. Super fun, and 1000x times more interesting hearthstone arena.

EDIT: I usually lose the matches that swap your deck with the opponent, because they chose crap cards.

Pooya

pirate warrior plays stb, I hit it with spirit claws, very clearly setting up maelstrom portal on turn 2. He plays 2x deckhand and firstmate and just goes face anyway. Like how bad can you be and this keeps happening. PW isn't THAT much auto pilot and you don't just go face...you can't beat shaman without your board sticking ever...

fertygo

The thing about mountain Giant and Renolock is Giant can be win condition for various matchup

I agree with VLPS, no matter how hard you teching anti aggro to renolock, its will never became really dominant vs aggro, its just slightly increase percentage versus aggro deck and hurt Renolock true strength as midrange n any other slow deck destroyer. and you just gonna feel bad in mirror match.

That's how I play my renolock now, its really doesn't matter, you can win versus aggro in good percentage if you play well and draw well, but its really useless to try to stop these aggro with full anti aggro stuff, they gonna win no matter what if they had the nut.

Is renolock even that great against greedier lists? Ice block makes the combo bad, Jade just outgrows the aoe, combo druid doesn't care about HP.

The way I see it aggro and midrange should be the best matchups.

zoukka

pirate warrior plays stb, I hit it with spirit claws, very clearly setting up maelstrom portal on turn 2. He plays 2x deckhand and firstmate and just goes face anyway. Like how bad can you be and this keeps happening. PW isn't THAT much auto pilot and you don't just go face...you can't beat shaman without your board sticking ever...

Faster to take a loss quick than to think.

Dahbomb

Is renolock even that great against greedier lists? Ice block makes the combo bad, Jade just outgrows the aoe, combo druid doesn't care about HP.

The way I see it aggro and midrange should be the best matchups.
Doesn't matter how greedy they make their decks, you have Jaraxxus the gawd.

Against Jade Druid you combo them down with Leeroy first. Combo Druid is a bad match up though, most combo decks have always beaten Renolock. That's the ONE match up I advocate having Mountain Giant in but in my experience Combo Druid wasn't that prevalent.

The thing about mountain Giant and Renolock is Giant can be win condition for various matchup
The match ups that Mountain Giant wins you can win with Jaraxxus. Or the Leeroy combo. It's just one card though so it's fine either way.

And I also agree with VLPS, you don't go full anti aggro because then you start losing percentages to the rest of the meta. Which is why I always have Jaraxxus.

I am really enjoying this deck...

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/722171-velen-beardo-shadow-otk-reno

... it is billed as an OTK deck, but in the 10 games I played I only ever used that combo once.

It is pretty expensive in terms of dust, but a lot of the legendary cards in there are from Adventures or the Classic Set, so other than the three MSoG ones a lot of the others might be ones long term players would already have.

I am getting a lot of wins with it for the simple reason no playing the in the current meta expects a priest to have burst and this deck has tons it. It also has almost every source of big healing available, so unless I am super unlucky there is a way to stop aggressive face players. The quick switch from a defensive deck to a highly aggressive one also seems to catch many player off guard.

Oh, and it also has Auctionmaster Beardo, which is a card I opened on expansion launch day but never played until now. Everytime I play it you can see the opponent checking to see what the card even does, as it is probably the least used card of the expansion.

Blizzard

Banned
Having a ton of fun with discard / reno lock in this brawl.
If I remember correctly, I went up against one in the brawl who had a powered-up C'Thun, full-healed twice with Reno, and had possibly 1-2 other legendaries.

I was so proud of winning with a basic no-legendary jade druid deck a turn before he could C'Thun.

Is Jaraxxus just a win condition? I keep thinking it has some synergy with Reno but that doesn't make sense, does it?

Flamestrike with Atiesh gave me Prophet Velen. I had a Drake on the board so Frostbolt hit for 8. If he stuck I would've won the game right there.

Unfortunately the Shaman played Hallazeal, Elemental Destruction, and then Lava Shock to get back to 30 HP.

Sad face.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any good Reno Priest lists floating around for ladder? Just crafted Raza.

Lots. Keyser just posted one above, there are lots of dragon Reno priests, inspire Reno priests, shadowform Reno priests etc.

Lots of options. It's great fun to get raza down early.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

... it is billed as an OTK deck, but in the 10 games I played I only ever used that combo once.

It is pretty expensive in terms of dust, but a lot of the legendary cards in there are from Adventures or the Classic Set, so other than the three MSoG ones a lot of the others might be ones long term players would already have.

I am getting a lot of wins with it for the simple reason no playing the in the current meta expects a priest to have burst and this deck has tons it. It also has almost every source of big healing available, so unless I am super unlucky there is a way to stop aggressive face players. The quick switch from a defensive deck to a highly aggressive one also seems to catch many player off guard.

Oh, and it also has Auctionmaster Beardo, which is a card I opened on expansion launch day but never played until now. Everytime I play it you can see the opponent checking to see what the card even does, as it is probably the least used card of the expansion.

I've been running a similar Reno/Shadowpriest deck and also enjoying it. Mine doesn't have the dragon stuff in there, but I can defintely see it improving the deck, I should try it out. The Shadowform/Beardo combination with all the cheap spells priest has access to these days is really strong. Or against aggro you can play the cheap spells with Priest of the feast to get fat on health again. There are tons of different synergies with the deck.

DSmalls84

Lots. Keyser just posted one above, there are lots of dragon Reno priests, inspire Reno priests, shadowform Reno priests etc.

Lots of options. It's great fun to get raza down early.

Yeah Raza is pretty fun played on curve. I'm not sure if I like it as much as Justicar in Control Warrior, but it's good nonetheless.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah Raza is pretty fun played on curve. I'm not sure if I like it as much as Justicar in Control Warrior, but it's good nonetheless.
It doesn't have near the impact of justicar because later in the game priest floats a lot of mana anyway.

But it still feels real good.

Lyng

If I remember correctly, I went up against one in the brawl who had a powered-up C'Thun, full-healed twice with Reno, and had possibly 1-2 other legendaries.

I was so proud of winning with a basic no-legendary jade druid deck a turn before he could C'Thun.

Yikes! Only legendary I have in mine is Reno

wiibomb

Hey I can make that deck... But I don't have alextrassa... any good replacements to use tis deck? I got beardo as my second MSG legendary and never had a chance to use him

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Hey I can make that deck... But I don't have alextrassa... any good replacements to use tis deck? I got beardo as my second MSG legendary and never had a chance to use him

You can run the shell of that deck and rremove a bunch of stuff from it. You lose the ability to OTK (but as noticed by others, you rarely win that way anyhow). I'd drop Medivh, Alex, Velen and Embrace the Shadow, personally. Then you can run Sylvannas, a potion of madness, and maybe Ragnaros? I'm also not a huge fan of Holy Fire, but I don't have a better spell at that cost so /shrug.

I found Alexstrassa is not always necessary in the deck. It is usually used a possible second (or third) winning condition if your burst is not high enough to win on its own. The best replacements would expand your other possible winning conditions. Possible replacement would be.

- Any good draw card to get to you to the burst quicker or a good taunt (to not die one turn earlier). Wrathion would do the job of both, but adds more cost to the already expensive deck.
- A second copy of low mana spell to increase your burst. Even though it is a Reno deck, having two of one card it not terrible. The deck has so much other healing you'll have used the second card and activated Reno before you need to use him.
- Forbidden Shaping might be good to get a big minion the board and force trades - playing with 8 Mana is always ideal)

wiibomb

I'll use wrathion then sine I already have it..

yeah I see that deck is quite greedy, but I'll try it and I'm having problems I'll replace some card for other quicker ones, may be some other spells

thanks for the suggestions

Rogue, Rogue, Rogue, Rogue. Ladder is nothing but Rogue.

Remember when people were bent out of shape because Rogue was going to be the worst class in the game and Blizzard was so incompetent?

Pirate secret hunter in wild feels like borderline cheating.

Most games people can't play the game against you. They just wait for their inevitable death.

Lyng

Rogue, Rogue, Rogue, Rogue. Ladder is nothing but Rogue.

Remember when people were bent out of shape because Rogue was going to be the worst class in the game and Blizzard was so incompetent?

In wild its all shaman.

That class is disgustingly strong. It needs a nerf so badly...or actually a complete revamp.

Actually pretty much the whole game needs that. Its decided by turn 3 in 8 out of 10 games.

In wild its all shaman.

That class is disgustingly strong. It needs a nerf so badly...or actually a complete revamp.

Actually pretty much the whole game needs that. Its decided by turn 3 in 8 out of 10 games.

What needs nerfed? I don't play Wild. Tuskarr and Rockbiter were already murdered.

Dahbomb

Shaman is at the top in both Wild and Standard, without question.

Class has been top tier or near top the entire year. Enough is god damn enough now.

And Rogue is really only good because of the Pirates Package.

Lyng

What needs nerfed? I don't play Wild. Tuskarr and Rockbiter were already murdered.

Yeah more like a revamp. The whole overload mechanic is silly. If you dont make shaman cards overpowered they are useless. So instead of fixing the class blizz kept throwing insane cards at the class until it was broken, which it is right now considering aggro/jade whatever shaman is pretty much number one in both standard and wild.
Before that shaman was absolute bottom tier. Overload needs to go.

Dahbomb

The RNG on the totems plus the RNG on their spells is really what makes Shaman a poorly designed class. I don't think Overload is the culprit here, I think Overload on AOE spells, heals and card draw is fine but Overload on direct damage spells and over statted minions is something that has time and time again proven to not be a proper use of the overload mechanic.

But no class is as poorly designed as Hunter. Forever stuck playing face or curve decks... or be irrelevant because you can't engineer that class to play anything else. Boring, pedestrian and just plain linear all around.

Lyng

The RNG on the totems plus the RNG on their spells is really what makes Shaman a poorly designed class. I don't think Overload is the culprit here, I think Overload on AOE spells, heals and card draw is fine but Overload on direct damage spells and over statted minions is something that has time and time again proven to not be a proper use of the overload mechanic.

But no class is as poorly designed as Hunter. Forever stuck playing face or curve decks... or be irrelevant because you can't engineer that class to play anything else. Boring, pedestrian and just plain linear all around.

yeah I agree. Problem is the whole game is designed around it. With every expansion the games gets decided faster and faster.
Even so called control decks need alot of tempo to keep up.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Brann enables more stuff, but Reno is more defining. The decks that run Bran typically are running him to just get free bonus procs of their battlecries. They were still including most of those cards anyhow. Without Reno, the Reno-style deck is missing a LARGE component of what makes it playable. It's likely without more support those decks go away. Even with Kazakus helping a lot, I suspect that we see them fall off the map unless there is strong support for them in the next expansion.

brann is bigger because he makes normally meh cards become fantastic. he enables cards to enter the meta that would normally have cobwebs or be fringe cards. you can argue the same about reno but most reno decks really vary on those fringe cards, but with brann he makes them staples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom