• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hycran

Banned
What deck do you use? I used to play savage roar but switched it out for a more standard deck (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/706870-budget-jade-druid plus druid of the claw).

On another note, I can't remember the last time I had Mage show up as an option in Arena. :(

That is more or less the deck, but no moonfire, growth, ooze. Instead have brann, Aya, one idol, one roar or two weather permitting, one ancient of war and fandral. Ancient or fandral could be subbed out for that second roar I believe. It's hard to get rid of the war when pirate is a thing though.

Edit golden lunar visions. Not bad considering I had none and it's more of a one off anyways.

manhack

See turn 15 for another disgusting yogg. It's all good that nobody really playing yogg these days. Finally a game where my Yogg didn't get dirty ratted.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/Ebus3qbqo4oPjPbgEeAKNS

Been enjoying Yogg in my Maly Shaman control deck. Makes me look forward to games vs. priest and renolock. It can also do well vs. aggro decks. Jade Druid is autoconcede, but I keep trying.

Man I have no idea why but this games LEAPs in player skill from rank 19.

No matter what season im in, i always get stuck one star from 18, regardless of what deck of style I use. Its so god damn frustrating.

Seemingly as soon as you hit 20 they unleash the absolute frocking ass-load of players with 5 legendary's in one deck, pirate warriors and jade druids.

I always like playing this with decent matches but this kinda stuff just makes me want to drop it again.

so uh i got cardback earned even though i already got it last year, i thought i was supposed to win a pack for TB if i already had the winter veil back..

Cat Party

No matter what season im in, i always get stuck one star from 18, regardless of what deck of style I use. Its so god damn frustrating.

Seemingly as soon as you hit 20 they unleash the absolute frocking ass-load of players with 5 legendary's in one deck, pirate warriors and jade druids.

I always like playing this with decent matches but this kinda stuff just makes me want to drop it again.
Yup, this was my experience when I started out. It's brutal to try to rank up even to 15 when you don't have access to all the necessary legendaries and epics. And I'm sure it's worse now than when I started (after GvG). Blizzard keeps talking about addressing this, and then they never do anything.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

It's impossible to fall below Rank 20 once you've hit it, and people who have been playing the game for a very long time will often get knocked down into the 20-15 range after a ladder reset. This makes Rank 15 a huge goal for new players on the Ranked ladder.

New players are going to have an easier time in Casual than in Ranked because Casual works based on MMR (skill ranking) and it has a "kiddie pool" for people who haven't filled out their collection yet.

At the beginning of the month, players around Rank 15 (where you usually need a decent deck) will be starting at Rank 20, so you'll be playing them.

Wait a week or so for those players to rank up, then try again.

Also the last couple days of a month are also bad for laddering because everyone is trying to rank up, and with time a limiting factor they'll just pick a meta deck to use.

Yup, this was my experience when I started out. It's brutal to try to rank up even to 15 when you don't have access to all the necessary legendaries and epics. And I'm sure it's worse now than when I started (after GvG). Blizzard keeps talking about addressing this, and then they never do anything.

Im currently in a match with a warlock who has had about 9 legendarys so far.

nerfarian, slyvanas, fizzlebang, reno, harrison, bronzebeard, the one that lets you make a custom spell and more im forgetting.

He even managed to pull out the full 30/30 ancient one.

I mean ive been playing off and on since beta but I must just not get it still, endlessly just blocked at 19.

Edit: I did think the reset would play into it. So Wild is easier in that sense or?
Edit 2: swear to god my Summon X rank cards pull out the stupidest shit on purpose lol
Edit 3: oh my fuckign god, fuck reno jackson. jesus christ this is the 3rd match ina row ffs

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I did think the reset would play into it. So Wild is easier in that sense or?

So in one sense no. Wild is not any easier in that regard.

You also seem to be conflating the number of legendaries with how good a deck is. Several of those legendaries/epics that you mentioned (Fizzlebang, Blood of the Ancient Ones) are actually terrible cards. Yes they are powerful, but their stats/costs aren't really good compared to other available cards. Number of legendaries is not a good way to determine a good deck. It can feel like that when you're new, and losing to some of those legendaries sucks (Ragnaros, Sylvannas, Reno). But know that just throwing Legendaries into your deck will sometimes actively make it worse. So if WINNING is what you care about vs having fun (because lots of legendaries can be fun but not good at winning), then make sure you aren't just putting in random cards because they are cool or have big stats.

Maybe you know all that already, if so sorry, but players new to card games sometimes don't catch on to the economy of deckbuilding until way later.

Well that was an easy pack. Used the typical Warlock BS to spam gifts as my opponent went with just regular ol' Reno Mage. After I accumulated about 8 gifts he finally conceded.

So in one sense no. Wild is not any easier in that regard.

You also seem to be conflating the number of legendaries with how good a deck is. Several of those legendaries/epics that you mentioned (Fizzlebang, Blood of the Ancient Ones) are actually terrible cards. Yes they are powerful, but their stats/costs aren't really good compared to other available cards. Number of legendaries is not a good way to determine a good deck. It can feel like that when you're new, and losing to some of those legendaries sucks (Ragnaros, Sylvannas, Reno). But know that just throwing Legendaries into your deck will sometimes actively make it worse. So if WINNING is what you care about vs having fun (because lots of legendaries can be fun but not good at winning), then make sure you aren't just putting in random cards because they are cool or have big stats.

Maybe you know all that already, if so sorry, but players new to card games sometimes don't catch on to the economy of deckbuilding until way later.

Yeah that was more of a freak game that I was just had to laugh at how absurd it was.

Most of my games are against people rinsing Patches, Thesurian and Reno which makes its just a hideous grind.
The last 3 games I was within 5HP of a win and Reno comes out and really I should just bail out rather than wasting my time tossing out cards after that.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind it being a challenge its how from 23-20 the matches are fairly even deck wise and play wise but as soon as you hit 20-19 its like the skill level and Pro built decks come rolling out.

Would probably be easier to make decks if I actually bought some of the expansions and played through them for cards as well.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Would probably be easier to make decks if I actually bought some of the expansions and played through them for cards as well.

The adventures are great value for the money they cost. As well as generally containing powerful cards (maybe Karazhan less than some others...), they also generally have a large amount of fun legendaries and sometimes some good ones too. League of Explorers has probably the best legenaries in the game, but is about to rotate out so I can't recommened spending money or gold on it now unless you are trying to collect em all (or you want to play in Wild where Reno will be always relevant).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If your goal is to make a few really good decks as quickly as possible, the Adventures are a pretty good value even just for all the dust you get from all the legendaries and epics. You don't really have to worry about the rotation if you look at it like that.

But if your goal is to have as complete of a collection as possible for standard play, you're better off with packs instead on a pure card value basis, but you'd be missing out on the fun of adventures.

Blizzard

Banned
I got a golden Ancient Mage from rank rewards. I honestly don't think I've seen that card once in a month of playing. I got 100 dust from it anyway. :p

If you want to power through the bottom rungs of ladder on the cheap, build Dragon Priest. The current build on TempoStorm is literally one-third the dust cost of anything else in the higher tiers (except maybe Tempo Mage), and you can play a very solid version without the two epics, making it even cheaper. You do need the cards from the current adventures (Blackrock and League) but it's gotta be the easiest way to build a competitive deck in the current meta.

But if your goal is to have as complete of a collection as possible for standard play, you're better off with packs instead on a pure card value basis, but you'd be missing out on the fun of adventures.

Eh, your best shot at having some powerful build-around cards and good legendaries is to stock up on the adventures.

Blizzard

Banned
If you want to power through the bottom rungs of ladder on the cheap, build Dragon Priest. The current build on TempoStorm is literally one-third the dust cost of anything else in the higher tiers (except maybe Tempo Mage), and you can play a very solid version without the two epics, making it even cheaper. You do need the cards from the current adventures (Blackrock and League) but it's gotta be the easiest way to build a competitive deck in the current meta.
The jade druid deck I've been trying (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/706870-budget-jade-druid) is even cheaper than that and got me to 15 without too much trouble (can make slight modifications like druid of the claw). No adventures was a definite plus to me since that would cost real money or like 2100 gold.

The jade druid deck I've been trying (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/706870-budget-jade-druid) is even cheaper than that and got me to 15 without too much trouble (can make slight modifications like druid of the claw). No adventures was a definite plus to me since that would cost real money or like 2100 gold.

I clearly am just bloody awful at this game, im 1/5 on this deck even when i happen to have the legendary needed.

Blizzard

Banned
I clearly am just bloody awful at this game, im 1/5 on this deck even when i happen to have the legendary needed.
It takes practice and sometimes you get bad luck. Some big things to learn:

1. ALWAYS play your first jade idol instead of cycling it.
2. If you get the first auctioneer early and you have 3 spell cards you can play, it may be worth doing so for the deck cycle.
3. Save the second auctioneer for the last 5-ish cards of the deck so you can start very quickly playing and shuffling more idols.
4. Do not spend all your cards unless you're going to die! If you spend too many cards early, it can be very hard to come back.
5. Always keep mental track of how many jade idols are in your deck.

I'm not certain of the best mulligans. Adding druid of the claw helped me. I replaced an ooze.

Lastly, if you're playing ranked right now, the season reset happened and you will play against better players and decks. Wait a week and it should even out.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, your best shot at having some powerful build-around cards and good legendaries is to stock up on the adventures.

Yeah, I'm just talking about adventures that are about to be moved to wild in the next couple months.

butts

Easily the worst ladder reset I've ever seen, literally nothing but pirate warrior and aggro shaman even at rank 20.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dont get me wrong, I dont mind it being a challenge its how from 23-20 the matches are fairly even deck wise and play wise but as soon as you hit 20-19 its like the skill level and Pro built decks come rolling out.
It's really bad at the beginning of a season because they drop everyone down too far.

I hit Rank 2 last season and it dropped me way back down to Rank 16 today. It's insane.

Might as well play the Brawl this week. It's another one that favours Mage because of all the spells you have and the spells you can get.

Mulligan for Crazed Alchemist and Doomsayer. Target your own crates with spells/silence. Rack up 2 mana Flamestrike/Firelands and then go face.

The snowball spell is good if you opponent, well, snowballs.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Might as well play the Brawl this week. It's another one that favours Mage because of all the spells you have and the spells you can get.

Mulligan for Crazed Alchemist and Doomsayer. Target your own crates with spells/silence. Rack up 2 mana Flamestrike/Firelands and then go face.

The snowball spell is good if you opponent, well, snowballs.

I mean you should probably play the brawl once every week for that free pack.

Beyond that, Priest also has access to A LOT of ways to get free crates. Shadow Word Pain, Confuse, Doomsayer, Crazed Alchemist and Shadow Word Horror are pretty good here. Not amazing, since you are still playing Priest, but getting 1-3 boxes quickly will lead to you snowballing hard with -5Mana cost on whatever you find. Playing Confessor Paletress for 2 mana feels pretty dirty.

ZealousD

If it were my responsibility to revamp the ladder system for Hearthstone, I would probably implement some version of league system where people actually progress through leagues. Everybody starts in the lowest league, and you graduate to higher and higher leagues by winning arena-style "tournaments". Ladder resets would be much softer but the requirements needed to advance into the higher tiers and legend would be much higher.

wiibomb

If it were my responsibility to revamp the ladder system for Hearthstone, I would probably implement some version of league system where people actually progress through leagues. Everybody starts in the lowest league, and you graduate to higher and higher leagues by winning arena-style "tournaments". Ladder resets would be much softer but the requirements needed to advance into the higher tiers and legend would be much higher.

some kind of league co-op system to get up in ranks by defeating other teams is actually one of the best ideas.. but it wouldn't work for ladder, the idea is to make you, yourself, able to get up from a X rank to legend, not with other's help

I would totally love if this could happen, though, seeing how my team members are doing and thinking about how I could help in the league is the kind of thing I would love in HS

ZealousD

some kind of league co-op system to get up in ranks by defeating other teams is actually one of the best ideas.. but it wouldn't work for ladder, the idea is to make you, yourself, able to get up from a X rank to legend, not with other's help

I would totally love if this could happen, though, seeing how my team members are doing and thinking about how I could help in the league is the kind of thing I would love in HS

I don't mean co-op or team-based necessarily. Starcraft/Overwatch has things like bronze league, silver league, diamond league, etc. But instead of it being like Starcraft/Overwatch where you have hard ladder resets and you do placement matches, you make it more progression based where you start low and work your way up the leagues, with fewer opportunities to demote. Resets would be much softer and happen less often.

I mean you should probably play the brawl once every week for that free pack.

Beyond that, Priest also has access to A LOT of ways to get free crates. Shadow Word Pain, Confuse, Doomsayer, Crazed Alchemist and Shadow Word Horror are pretty good here. Not amazing, since you are still playing Priest, but getting 1-3 boxes quickly will lead to you snowballing hard with -5Mana cost on whatever you find. Playing Confessor Paletress for 2 mana feels pretty dirty.

Finally a use for Purify.

Dahbomb

So basically EXACTLY like Shadowverse's system.

ZealousD

https://hsreplay.net/replay/YyMERcLaav8tUpqXcVMrkd

Awww. Poor hunter.

kE9mJW1.png

So basically EXACTLY like Shadowverse's system.

I dunno. Never played it. *shrug*

I decided to become scum and build a Pirate Warrior. Now I understand why people hate this deck. It feels like you can win almost any match if you get the right opening hand.

Also, when climbing the ladder, it becomes painfully obvious who is playing netdecked Renolock or Reno Mage with absolutely no idea how to pilot it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Getting to rank 2 made me seriously think about whether I want to try for legend this month

alternatively, i could just mess around with weird hunter, priest, and paladin decks and see if they work

i think the latter would be more fun probably

also i'm probably not good enough to get to legend

scarlet

Getting to rank 2 made me seriously think about whether I want to try for legend this month

alternatively, i could just mess around with weird hunter, priest, and paladin decks and see if they work

i think the latter would be more fun probably

also i'm probably not good enough to get to legend

Dude, you're so close. You can do it.

Just play aggro shaman

squidyj

I decided to become scum and build a Pirate Warrior. Now I understand why people hate this deck. It feels like you can win almost any match if you get the right opening hand.

Also, when climbing the ladder, it becomes painfully obvious who is playing netdecked Renolock or Reno Mage with absolutely no idea how to pilot it.

i'd play those but im missing kazakus among other cards :(

It takes practice and sometimes you get bad luck. Some big things to learn:

1. ALWAYS play your first jade idol instead of cycling it.
2. If you get the first auctioneer early and you have 3 spell cards you can play, it may be worth doing so for the deck cycle.
3. Save the second auctioneer for the last 5-ish cards of the deck so you can start very quickly playing and shuffling more idols.
4. Do not spend all your cards unless you're going to die! If you spend too many cards early, it can be very hard to come back.
5. Always keep mental track of how many jade idols are in your deck.

I'm not certain of the best mulligans. Adding druid of the claw helped me. I replaced an ooze.

Lastly, if you're playing ranked right now, the season reset happened and you will play against better players and decks. Wait a week and it should even out.

Ah cheers. I did think there was part of the place style I was totally missing. The first match I absolutely dominated with but then from after that I would either have burnt all my cards as all I was getting was +mana ones or it was a priest who just nuked everything with those poxy X health dies cards.

Kunohara

I decided to take a break from the ladder and try out some arena. Keep in mind I rarely play it (since it doesn't count towards golden heroes as well as rank). Man is it such a breath of fresh air. It is so nice not facing the same stuff over and over. I might keep playing arena for the time being.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone play anything other than pirate or jade? I mean seriously. Anyone? Whatever the deck is that counters both of these should win all day long cause that's nearly all I see in ranked.

I decided to take a break from the ladder and try out some arena. Keep in mind I rarely play it (since it doesn't count towards golden heroes as well as rank). Man is it such a breath of fresh air. It is so nice not facing the same stuff over and over. I might keep playing arena for the time being.

should we tell him

I've played against freezemage back to back and cthun and control warrior so far.
C'thun Warrior eh? I'm still playing that deck with excellent results but I have not come across any. I'm curious to know what people think of the matchups, but no one is playing it!

I beat Reno Mage and Renolock easy. Like I don't think I've lost once yet. Surprisingly, I beat Jade Druid. I really think that's an auto concede but I think the one I played against may have had some severe misplays.

Edit: and I just looked at the most recent control warrior list on Tempo Storm...wtf...that shit is playing pirates too? Smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom