• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm expecting the bulk of the nerfs to come with the actual rotation so they can put in replacements if needed. They seem to be trying to apply bandaids until they can get to April along with the other changes planned.

Ranked floors seem utterly useless. What problem with the ladder does that actually solve?

It's so people can experiment to find a good deck for their current set of opponents every time they hit a breakpoint without fear of going back down a bunch of levels.

gutshot

What about ARENA? #arenamatters

Looks like Blizzard gave Polygon an early look at the patch notes so they could specifically report on these changes to help quell the player base. I'm guessing the arena changes are still coming and will probably be revealed once the full patch is out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looks like Blizzard gave Polygon an early look at the patch notes so they could specifically report on these changes to help quell the player base. I'm guessing the arena changes are still coming and will probably be revealed once the full patch is out.

They posted them on Reddit directly: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/5u1ues/upcoming_balance_and_ranked_play_changes/

Update 7.1 Ranked Play Changes – Floors
We’re continuously looking for ways to refine the Ranked Play experience. One thing we can do immediately to help the Ranked Play experience is to make the overall climb from rank to rank feel like more an accomplishment once you hit a certain milestone. In order to promote deck experimentation and reduce some of the feelings of ladder anxiety some players may face, we’re introducing additional Ranked Play floors.
Once a player hits Rank 15, 10, or 5, they will no longer be able to de-rank past that rank once it is achieved within a season, similar to the existing floors at Rank 20 and Legend. For example, when a player achieves Rank 15, regardless of how many losses a player accumulates within the season, that player will not de-rank back to 16. We hope this promotes additional deck experimentation between ranks, and that any losses that may occur feel less punishing.

Update 7.1 Balance Changes
With the upcoming update, we will be making balance changes to the following two cards: Small-Time Buccaneer and Spirit Claws.

Small-Time Buccaneer now has 1 Health (Down from 2)
The combination of Small Time Buccaneer and Patches the Pirate has been showing up too often in the meta. Weapon-utilizing classes have been heavily utilizing this combination of cards, especially Shaman, and we’d like to see more diversity in the meta overall. Small Time Buccaneer’s Health will be reduced to 1 to make it easier for additional classes to remove from the board.

Spirit Claws now costs 2 Mana (Up from 1)
Spirit Claws has been a notably powerful Shaman weapon. At one mana, Spirit Claws has been able to capitalize on cards such as Bloodmage Thalnos or the Shaman Hero power to provide extremely efficient minion removal on curve. Increasing its mana by one will slow down Spirit Claws’ ability to curve out as efficiently.
These changes will occur in an upcoming update near the end of February. We’ll see you in the Tavern!

I honestly don't think the arena changes are coming until the next Standard year.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This is going to put a dent in Aggro but not enough.

Reno Mage is in best position here because they can now ping down STB or kill a Pirate board with Arcane Explosion/Arcane Missiles/Twilight Flamecaller. Renolock can answer with mortal coil, Control Warrior has better options too. Might bring back Hunter because they can answer STB with Unleash and Alleycat.

Pirate Warriors just got more unfun and dumber to play. You could use STB to trade before, now it will ALWAYS go face. People are still going to play Pirates because Patches is still broken.

Spirit Claw nerf is substantial, might actually remove it from aggro decks. Big nerf to Shamans in Arena too, they got carried a lot by this card. I think it might be enough to cut Pirates from Shaman which significantly lowers the power level of Aggro Shaman.

I think Pirate Warrior and Rogues will still use the same exact Pirate deck list but Shamans will adjust. That was their design goal to begin with. Midrange Jade Shaman should still be strong.
Agreed, i think this is what Blizzy-D wants, power down aggro just a bit until the next expansion which hopefully wont have crazy aggro cards.

I love the ranked changed but i gotta admit, im surprised it took years to be implemented. But oh well, hype!

Zemm

Ranked floors seem utterly useless. What problem with the ladder does that actually solve?

Might mean more deck diversity? Meta decks to rank 15/10/5, whatever you think your time allows then actual fun decks since you won't be dropping if you lose

Good changes, but I don't think it's nearly enough.

This by no means precludes a much more significant round of changes at the next release so everything happens at the same time with the rotation.

I'm guessing Shaman is still going to be the best deck, it's just going to be Jade Shaman now.

Dahbomb

Midrange shaman back to the top.

Maelstrom is insane against pirates now.
That's probably accurate. One Portal annhialates a Pirate board and puts Midrange Shaman well ahead. And Midrange Shaman was already the second best deck in the game, some would argue it was the best.

If Mid Shaman is on top then that opens space for Tempo Mage (already almost there), Combo Druid and Freeze Mage to return. And Renolock can easily tech against Midrange Shaman by adding a Felfire Potion. But that sounds awful lot like the Karazhan meta that people also hated.

If thats all its not enough to stop Shaman. Jade claws for 1 needs to be a 3 drop as well fuck that card fuck all Jade cards stupidest mechanic they have ever introduced it kills every other control deck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
RIP Aggro Shaman.

Miracle Rogue new best deck? They're hurt the least of the 3 pirate decks and helped the most against the other pirate decks.

Or are they countered by midrange shaman too?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I hope those are not the only changes. I doubt it will decrease the crazy amount of shamans im facing.

It will likely increase it.

Pirate warriors will likely start playing midrange Jade shaman. I bet shaman numbers keep climbing at the expense of warrior numbers up until rotation. Pirate warriors will still be played for the speed but Shaman will continue to eat them.

IksarHS
This is something that is mostly a prediction rather than a result of testing. Whether or not Jade Druid and Rogue will be 'good' is meta dependent. I don't think these changes will magically make Jade decks strong against aggressive decks, but I think it's safe to say the meta slowing down at any % is a good thing for Jade.

WHAT!?

Arjen

It will likely increase it.

Pirate warriors will likely start playing midrange Jade shaman. I bet shaman numbers keep climbing at the expense of warrior numbers up until rotation. Pirate warriors will still be played for the speed but Shaman will continue to eat them.

Yep. Midrange shaman who used the pirate package will probably go back to tunneltrog combo.

And as i type, 4th shaman in a row

peakish

Ranked floors are good but I don't get why they are so fixated on deranking everyone so heavily at the start of each season. It's still going to be many days at the start of each month where previously legend players go up against newbies and otherwise terrible players like me. Why not just cap the drop at like 5 or 10 ranks from your best rank of last season? Do people enjoy the rank 20 to 5 climb?

I'm not sure that lowering STB's health by 1 really changes much. Is there really any incentive to not run it in aggro decks? I don't think so.

Spirit Claws nerf is fine. I imagine the card is pretty much dead after the rotation if Azure Drake doesn't get replaced somehow.

Edit: I guess the most notable thing is that Hunter is probably a bit more relevant as Alleycat isn't completely useless anymore.

Dahbomb

I'm not sure that lowering STB's health by 1 really changes much. Is there really any incentive to not run it in aggro decks? I don't think so.

Spirit Claws nerf is fine. I imagine the card is pretty much dead after the rotation if Azure Drake doesn't get replaced somehow.
It will still get run in Pirate decks but Pirate deck win rate is going to go down. If you have more clean answers to their threats then their chances of winning goes down. A Rogue for example can kill two STBs with one hero power, a Druid can wipe Patches, two STBs and Deckhand with one Swipe same for Hunter and UTH.

The nerf is significant in that it lowers the power level of Aggro decks but not a terrible nerf where the card or deck is unplayable. Both of these nerfs are reasonable, it's just that you can only do so much nerfing two cards only.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From Ben, it sounds like more Ranked changes are coming, but obviously not now: https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/831575485209464832

Pascal Großmann ‏@Pascoalabear 1h1 hour ago
@bdbrode Do new rank floors affect post-reset rank at all? Otherwise they don't reduce the grind of climbing at all and miss the point :/

---
Ben Brode ‏@bdbrode
@Pascoalabear This isn't the only change I think we'll need to make to our ranked ladder, but we do think it's a good change regardless.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The fact they didn't seem to have test the changes.

He's talkin' about the Jade interaction with it.
It's really impossible to them to fully "test the meta".
You'll need a huge player base and lots of time to have a 100% meassured meta.

At some point you gotta analyze and predict how the changes will affect the game. (But with no factual data of course)

Pooya

STB is worthless now, it's gone.

spirit claws? the card is still good, just the early advantage is reduced which is a big deal as shaman is all about snowball but it still will see play... sad.

I'm not sure pirate warrior is going away.

I hope there is room to try paladin and hunter now, doesn't seem likely.

I told y'all they weren't going to nerf Patches, lol.

Theoretically this should actually do a ton to increase meta diversity on the ladder. Right now homebrew decks are strongly disincentivized once you gain a few ranks because the penalty for making a bad call is so huge. With floors, you get another shot to test unexpected decks against the meta with little to no penalty every five ranks, so it should open up a lot of Tier 2/3 decks or new brews to be played.

I honestly don't think they've made up their mind what changes they want to introduce to arena, standard arena? increase spell appearing rate? A comprehensive rarity tweak seems not happening though.

Yeah, the explicit goal of their Arena changes is to have a toolset that makes it easy for them to configure stuff as needed. I'm sure they'll launch the new Year with some specific changes, but rather than do everything they've though about they'll launch some limited set then and roll out other tweaks or variants more often afterwards.

He's talkin' about the Jade interaction with it.
It's really impossible to them to fully "test the meta".
You'll need a huge player base and lots of time to have a 100% meassured meta.

At some point you gotta analyze and predict how the changes will affect the game. (But with no factual data of course)

That is why like everyone says they need a PTR atleast for patch changes and ideally for new expansions. I don't want to go from pirate meta to garbage Jade meta.

Fersis

Patches might still be a problem post rotation. Card isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I think theyre gonna nerf/move to wild/change more cards along the new "year".

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So, full thoughts on the changes.

1.) Ranked Ladder Floor change is nearly pointless. Resets still work exactly the same way as always. It's still a grind every month and new players still have to fight people with full collections at the lower ranks.

2.) Reducing the health of STB by 1 opens up other Aggro decks to join the meta. Alley Cat, Possessed Villager, Voidwalker, Argent Squire, and Living Roots become much more viable Turn 1 plays. I can't say with confidence that the card is completely dead but at least other aggro decks will have a chance and that will reduce the amount of time we see the card at the very least. Rogue and Warrior will probably still run some variation of the Pirate Package in this meta. Rogue suffers less because they have Buccaneer until the rotation. Warrior can probably adapt without STB if they desire. Shaman might be in a tougher spot with the Spirit Claws nerf as well, but Shaman could pivot back into a Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem build for Mid-Jade until rotation.

3.) This is a pretty heavy nerf to Spirit Claws imo. The card doesn't curve naturally into Thalnos/Kobolds or Wrath of Air totem anymore. However, it is possible that Shaman might still run the card if recent nerfs pull Acidic Swamp Ooze out of the meta and it becomes a value card that stays equipped for awhile.

4.) Disappointed that Maelstrom Portal is not also receiving a nerf, as previously stated. Shaman still has a very strong kit in Mid-Jade Shaman so I don't think there's any chance this class becomes dethroned before the rotation.

5.) Jade Druid and Jade Rogue will still be hard checked by other aggro decks, so this won't be a "jade meta" per se. But Mid-Jade Shaman stays strong.

Dahbomb

It is suffice to say that Shaman had a great year in HS. Maybe the best any one class ever had.

And that's despite having 3 of their cards nerfed in that timeframe.

I'm someone who plays Jade druid and your posts make me sad. Is auctioneer a problem with the shaman and pirate decks that make up the vast majority of problems right now? :(

No but its a problematic card even Kibler says so and that it should never have been printed in the first place.

That is why like everyone says they need a PTR atleast for patch changes and ideally for new expansions.

This will never happen.

1.) Ranked Ladder Floor change is nearly pointless. Resets still work exactly the same way as always. It's still a grind every month and new players still have to fight people with full collections at the lower ranks.

The point of this change is to increase deck selection flexibility, it's doesn't solve that problem but that's because it's really just targeting something different. From what Ben says there'll probably be more significant changes at the Year break.

Shaman still has a very strong kit in Mid-Jade Shaman so I don't think there's any chance this class becomes dethroned before the rotation.

I would guess they want to be careful about over-nerfing shaman right now given how much stuff is going away at rotation.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
On vacation but I heard about the changes and had to check in on HSGaf and see the opinions. I'm surprised that no one is calling out for blood because of no Patches change. I personally was expecting nothing but it seemed like lots of people here wanted it nerfed.

Ranked changes are welcome, though I think this isn't going to solve any issues. What this will do though, is allow people to play weird stuff at those cutoffs and might give your ladder climb some variety. You can mess around in ranked now where as before you'd lose 2-3 ranks Learning a new deck. Good change but still not going to fix the incentive to play aggressive.

STB nerf is the only one they could have made without eliminating it from the game. Not really happy how strong Malestrom portal is going to be with this.

Spirit Claws needed the nerf and is probably still playable if you run enough spell power guys. Aggro won't though, and neither will mid range. So it's a good change.

How would you nerf Maelstrom? Making it a 3-cost is probably too much as Arcane Explosion costs 2 and you just miss the random 1-drop.

Overload 1? Hmm, Trogg into Golem/Maelstrom into Maelstrom/Golem into Feral Spirits. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom