• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I watched Trump's review yesterday of the Ungoro cards and he was saying that he doubts the Time Warp Mage deck will be more than a gimmick.

Also said that Priest, Warrior, Rogue, and Paladin quest decks wouldn't see play and/or underpowered.

wiibomb

well I haven't received yet my packs from bahamas and since amazon hasn't updated the client, I haven't received my volcanosaur yet either...

That's a worse combo than just arcane giants echo or arcane giants Alex. Neither of those two require ticks.

echo of medivh is such an insane card.

I saw the other day kibler playing it in a reno mage and the value it had was copying everytime a thaurisan

Trying to trim this deck:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...50:1;55489:1;55551:1;55552:1;55558:1;55561:1;

I watched Trump's review yesterday of the Ungoro cards and he was saying that he doubts the Time Warp Mage deck will be more than a gimmick.

Also said that Priest, Warrior, and Paladin quest decks wouldn't see play and/or underpowered.
Why would Time Warp Mage be less of a gimmick than other OTK decks? In the sense that many of them have been viable in the past.

That's a worse combo than just arcane giants echo or arcane giants Alex. Neither of those two require ticks.
Hahaha, you're right. :)

So my pre-MSoG arena deck that I made but didn't actually use for like 6 months went 3-3. All losses were due to Jade shenanigans lol.

Ready for Un'Goro! Might buy some packs of MSoG and Classic just cause, we'll see.

My guess is most OTK decks rely on consistent card draw of known cards to combo with. The problem with warp mage is getting the pieces together for the 2 turn combo is hard with the randomness of your hand plus then fitting in standard draw to put the pieces together. I tend to agree that it won't be a meta deck for those reasons.

I think the fact that the card costs 5 mana is one of the major limiting factors. Yes it is 2 turns but you have only 5 mana to play with on turn one, which is not a lot late game. Which means it lends itself to the giants play, which as above may be too draw dependent to work well.

Grief.exe

Why would Time Warp Mage be less of a gimmick than other OTK decks? In the sense that many of them have been viable in the past.

I'm trying to find the timestamp right now, but he basically said it would be too slow to compete with other OTK/control/Mid-range/aggro decks since you would essentially have to draw your entire deck to activate the quest and get your OTK.

EDIT: Here's the timestamp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDE0jM_x9qk&t=10m34s

I would hold off on crafting this deck asap, maybe wait a month or so to see how the meta shakes out before investing your precious dust.

joelseph

My guess is most OTK decks rely on consistent card draw of known cards to combo with. The problem with warp mage is getting the pieces together for the 2 turn combo is hard with the randomness of your hand plus then fitting in standard draw to put the pieces together. I tend to agree that it won't be a meta deck for those reasons.

No different than reno OTK no? Lock OTK has to have Thor tick on atleast one of three cards for the combo to go off for 20 life.

No different than reno OTK no? Lock OTK has to have Thor tick on atleast one of three cards for the combo to go off for 20 life.

Lock is not a OTK though.

On the other hand, time warp otk is different than freeze mage because you have to cycle a lot while completing your quest, which eats up a card to start with and takes a lot of time and mana to generate and play cards you've generated while fighting for the board or at least stalling.

The OTK itself is not really guaranteed like freeze mage spell burst was either. I don't even think time warp unlocks as much mana as ET used to.

Q8D3vil

Im pretty sure that the thing that will impact the meta the most is Azure drake leaving standard. A lot of Current decks depends a lot on Azure drake, that card is broken as fuck and we will notice the turn 5 void that will left by it when the meta shapes up.
I wonder how big of an impact it will have on jade decks (Not for forget that Brann is rotating out as well).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Volcanosaur won me the first game I played it too. Brann + Volcanosaur for 11/9 stealth, then got it to hit Jade Druid's face twice with it after Ice Block and freezing the board. Windfury would have been nice but didn't get it.

With the brann combo, it's somewhat similar to the Paladin reward.

Edit: I guess I misplayed choosing 3 health instead of can't be targeted by spells. I was pretty sure he was out of hard removal, but no reason to risk it for 3 health if i was planning on freezing.

Pooya

Brann makes the paladin quest redundant, is way easier to get that going than playing a quest deck. Tells you how OP Brann is.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Brann makes the paladin quest redundant, is way easier to get that going than playing a quest deck. Tells you how OP Brann is.

Starting with 3 more attack and having 1 extra adapt for finding stealth or windfury or +3 attack is significant for using as a win condition, especially since that attack is basically doubled.

But yeah, brann volcanosaur is insane for how easy it is as a simple 10 mana combo.

zoukka

Time Warp is insane guys. You are severely underestimating what an extra turn means in hearthstone, a game where the opponent cannot interact with you on your turn.

Fewr

Has anyone received packs for the Bahamas tournament on the NA Server?

I keep reading about people receiving those packs and a heroic tavern brawl chest, but I haven't gotten either on my end.

Thanks for clarifying.

I got 4 packs recently. I can't remember if it was last night or early this morning, I think the former. I picked fr0zen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Time Warp is insane guys. You are severely underestimating what an extra turn means in hearthstone, a game where the opponent cannot interact with you on your turn.

Indeed.

People are also discounting Mage being able to complete the quest, when it's possibly the best class to stall out the game long enough to complete the quest, and people are underestimating how valuable randomly generated mage spells tend to be.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Time Warp is definitely insane.

I think what brings it down is the requirements of the quest and how that affects your deck construction. When you're running all of the cards that generate random spells, that leaves less room for any defensive tools that help you survive to the point where you complete the requirements of the quest, and less room for the pure cycle that helps you draw to your combo.

I don't think it's bad but I don't think it'll be top of the meta, either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Time Warp is definitely insane.

I think what brings it down is the requirements of the quest and how that affects your deck construction. When you're running all of the cards that generate random spells, that leaves less room for any defensive tools that help you survive to the point where you complete the requirements of the quest, and less room for the pure cycle that helps you draw to your combo.

I don't think it's bad but I don't think it'll be top of the meta, either.

The freeze package doesn't need that many slots, and a vast majority of generated spells are defensive.

The issue there is mages rely on a different kind of card draw since it is not built into their hero power so they have to make decisions about what draw to include. So my feeling is the random draw encouraged by the quest and the normal draw needed to get combo pieces will leave the deck in an awkward spot.

joelseph

The issue there is mages rely on a different kind of card draw since it is not built into their hero power so they have to make decisions about what draw to include. So my feeling is the random draw encouraged by the quest and the normal draw needed to get combo pieces will leave the deck in an awkward spot.

Good point, I never thought about it like that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It needed enough slots that I wasn't able to run Ice Barrier in my theorycraft version of the deck.

We'll see after given time to refine.

In the end, it's probably too slow for pirates and jade, but that's the story of this entire set.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Brawl is every minion cost 2 or greater spawns a minion with cost 2 less as a deathrattle.

Egg druid worked pretty well.

Only get a classic pack though.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon App Store still shitty at updates. My phone can't play the game cause the app needs an update but it doesn't exist on Amazon's servers or whatever.

Amazon and Blizzard never have their shit together around updates, and Amazon is always late by a day or so. Pretty shitty situation.

wiibomb

That's why I asked. I don't know if I should save some of it for Arena and stuff. Decisions.

if you enjoy arena, it could be a nice option, but then it could be the same as just waiting some days and saving 150 to run arena for some days, which is fine, arena is more immediate, a more bulk of gold is needed for constructed, if you don't have the cards, you can't play constructed, so it could be wiser to spend it in packs if you want to have some cards to play constructed, arena can be saved in a matter of 3 days max to play for some more time there

Xanathus

Will you guys spend all your gold in Un'goro packs?

w4WmejB.png

I'll probably just buy 80 packs, I'm an F2P player btw haHAA

if you enjoy arena, it could be a nice option, but then it could be the same as just waiting some days and saving 150 to run arena for some days, which is fine, arena is more immediate, a more bulk of gold is needed for constructed, if you don't have the cards, you can't play constructed, so it could be wiser to spend it in packs if you want to have some cards to play constructed, arena can be saved in a matter of 3 days max to play for some more time there

Since Arena is now standard format I'll probably have most cards. I turned my wilds cards into dust a year ago lol

I will be opening 110 packs and posting the video to youtube. I will share the link once it's live.

I'll open 80 packs, will watch your video.

w4WmejB.png

I'll probably just buy 80 packs, I'm an F2P player btw haHAA

Oh wow, the most gold I stacked was like 3.5K.

Grief.exe

My current plan is just to burn $20 on packs, then burn my ~1500 gold on arena runs.

It's going to take a few weeks for the meta to shake out anyways, and I don't expect to play more than a few Arena runs a week.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I tried theorycrafting a questing freeze mage.

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/questing-freeze-mage-theorycraft/

12 quest requirement cards because I don't want to rely too much on drawing Cabalist Tome, but one thing I wonder is how often can you get created spells that creates more spells, like Primordial Glyph getting a Mana Bind or Cabalist Tome. That might help lower the number of quest requirement cards you need to include.

Can Primordial Glyph discover a Primordial Glyph? If so, you could technically complete the quest turn 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom