• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollomat

Banned
Will you guys spend all your gold in Un'goro packs?

I don't spend any gold on packs, I spend it all on arena. I enjoy arena more due to the variety of decks and feel it's a great way to learn all the new cards when an expansion releases.

Plus i average around 5 wins in arena so it's a much better use of my gold than just buying packs.

Cat Party

There is a guaranteed OTK if you use Time Warp with 2 sorcerer's apprentices, 2 of that Mage spell that copies a minion, and Antonidas. 0 mana fireballs.

Only question will be whether you can survive long enough to gather the resources and complete the quest.

Dahbomb

There is a guaranteed OTK if you use Time Warp with 2 sorcerer's apprentices, 2 of that Mage spell that copies a minion, and Antonidas. 0 mana fireballs.

Only question will be whether you can survive long enough to gather the resources and complete the quest.
Already theory crafted it and posted a deck list a couple of pages back.

I've got about 5,000 gold which is what I usually have when an expansion launches. I'll blow 4,500 on packs, then start grinding out quests/arena to get back up to 5,000 for the next expansion. I have like 25,000 dust which helps a lot obviously. I'd have more if I DE'd any of my gold cards. But yeah, all together, I'm set-up decently for this expansion I'd say. The last time I spent money on HS was the welcome bundle a few months back. Before that, I think I bought 1 wing of Naxx with real money. All together, I think I've spent $25 on HS since playing in open beta.

Grief.exe

I tried theorycrafting a questing freeze mage.

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/questing-freeze-mage-theorycraft/

12 quest requirement cards because I don't want to rely too much on drawing Cabalist Tome, but one thing I wonder is how often can you get created spells that creates more spells, like Primordial Glyph getting a Mana Bind or Cabalist Tome. That might help lower the number of quest requirement cards you need to include.

Can Primordial Glyph discover a Primordial Glyph? If so, you could technically complete the quest turn 2.

Trump mentioned that situation occurring during his card review.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I was gonna get the 50 packs today, so I redeemed some battle.net credit I had, and figured I'd pay for the rest with a credit card or whatever, but apparently I can only buy with battle.net balance OR an external payment method, not both. So fine, I'll just add the rest of the balance, except "Blizzard Balance is typically available within 3 days of purchase. If you’d like to purchase an item right away, please use your default payment method."

So I could go back to amazon and buy more gift cards to apply immediately to the Battle.net balance but I need $25 to hit the $50 necessary for the pre-purchase and amazon will only sell me cards in $20 increments.

Is there any reason this needs to be so FUCKING stupid? I have two options here:

- Get a $25 gift card somewhere somehow
- Add balance and hope I can pre-purchase 3 days from now, which is 2 days after Ungoro is actually out

I suspect I'm fucked either way.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
There's no reason Primordial Glyph can't discover itself AFAIK. So yeah you could in theory finish the Mage quest on turn 2. And OTK on Turn 5.

It's not very likely though.

Yeah I have 7400ish gold and the pre-order ready and I bet it won't be enough to get me what I want from the set. I don't even want all the quests!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There's no reason Primordial Glyph can't discover itself AFAIK. So yeah you could in theory finish the Mage quest on turn 2. And OTK on Turn 5.

It's not very likely though.

Yeah I have 7400ish gold and the pre-order ready and I bet it won't be enough to get me what I want from the set. I don't even want all the quests!

Wait, how would you OTK?

You can definitely loop Glyphs and get the quest done but time warp still costs 5 mana and I feel like that's more by design to specifically stop cheese, you can't really do much with the warp until way later. Unlike the Pally quest which basically is a win the turn after.

BashNasty

I've got 3700 gold saved up, plus the 50 packs preordered, plus the bonus packs I've been getting.

Looks like I'm set up to be opening 93 packs on launch day, plus I have 24000 dust right now, and will be getting more once cards rotate out. All in all, I'll be able to get any card I want, which is exactly how I like it.

Since I started playing Hearthstone during the beta I've spent probably between 400-500 bucks on the game. It's all been money very well spent.

Mulgrok

Just messing around on ladder and hit 500 shaman wins. That is 4 heroes down, 5 to go. My gold heroes are hunter, mage, paladin, shaman.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Trump mentioned that situation occurring during his card review.

Nice. So something like 1/10 odds to get spells can chain create spells. And Primordial Glyph and Cabalist tomb both give three shots at getting them.

Not quite enough to rely on it happening every game, but it's certainly going to happen in a decent amount of games.

gutshot

With the expansion set to launch tomorrow, it's time to take a final look at the Hearthstone GAF card ratings and see what other interesting info we can glean from it.

Quests are the big new mechanic. Are they going to be good enough? It's hard to say, but it certainly appears that our community is pretty high on a few of the Quests, with two of them landing in the top 10 cards of the set (and a 3rd just missing the cut). Here is the ranking of the Quests of Un'Goro, from best to worst, with their average score in parenthesis.

1. Fire Plume's Heart (3.98)
  2. Open the Waygate (3.85)
  3. The Marsh Queen (3.83)
  4. Lakkari Sacrifice (3.48)
  5. Unite the Murlcos (3.45)
  6. Jungle Giants (3.40)
  7. Awaken the Makers (3.35)
  8. The Last Kaleidosaur (3.10)
  9. The Caverns Below (2.65)

Alongside the Quests, each class is getting a new set of class cards. These are often the most powerful cards in the game and a strong set of class cards can propel a class from dumpster tier to legend (Hi Shaman!). So which class is getting the biggest buff from Un'Goro? Here is a ranking of classes by the average score of all their class cards' average score.

1. Hunter (3.47)
  2. Shaman (3.28)
  3. Mage (3.13) tie
  4. Priest (3.13) tie
  5. Warlock (3.00)
  6. Rogue (2.96)
  7. Paladin (2.85) tie
  8. Warrior (2.85) tie
  9. Druid (2.76)

Lastly, let's look at the neutrals. If powerful enough, these cards have the chance to become the most ubiquitous cards in the meta as any class can run them. So which are the best neutral cards as voted on by Hearthstone GAF? Here are the top 10 neutrals (actually 11), ranked by their average score.

1. Tar Creeper (3.90)
  2. Blazecaller (3.88)
  3. Tol'vir Stoneshaper (3.80)
  4. Spiritsinger Umbra (3.75)
  5. Gluttonous Ooze (3.60)
  6. Servant of Kalimos (3.45)
  7. Rockpool Hunter (3.30) tie
  8. Gentle Megasaur (3.30) tie
  9. Elise the Trailblazer (3.25)
  10. Fire Fly (3.15) tie
  11. Devilsaur Egg (3.15) tie

Anything here that surprises or stands out to you? Or maybe some interesting info that I missed? Feel free to peruse all the votes and average scores on the Hearthstone GAF Un'Goro Card Ratings spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fOc2LgWfFiETMAfDEGkGx_OupxWSSJVTU4ADfs5hyTY/edit?usp=sharing

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I still haven't input my scores in the spreadsheet in the FWIW department. Was waiting for Dahbomb and I's review to be finished.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, how would you OTK?

You can definitely loop Glyphs and get the quest done but time warp still costs 5 mana and I feel like that's more by design to specifically stop cheese, you can't really do much with the warp until way later. Unlike the Pally quest which basically is a win the turn after.

I mean in the unrealistic scenario that is being described we could do lots of things to OTK. By the time you have completed the quest and taken those extra few turns you could easily have Reduced your Arcane Giants to like 0 cost as well. You drop the big threats and time warp to guarantee an un-interactive turn of smashing their face in for 16 or whatever. I'm sure that in our fantasy land we also got a 2 cost fireball at the end of the primordial glyph chain so that we had some other spells to cast in the turns leading up to the Time Warp.

It's going to show up in meme video, but it isn't a useful scenario to plan an actual game around. The deck isn't built to do an OTK, but rather get that sweet 16 free unstoppable damage from the giants or go nuts on Antonidas or something.

Dahbomb

Pretty conservative ratings by GAF, the best Neutral card is only a 4 so no 5's in there.

Even the highest rated quest is a 4.

ZealousD

Oh man.

I am going to be only the second GAFfer to call Clutchmother Zavas a bad card.

Y'all are nuts.

Dahbomb

I know, I'm just saying it's weird for a class quest to be voted the best when the same survey also puts the class itself at the bottom. I get it, it just looks weird.
That's just their new set, Warrior still has a very strong classic set and a good Old gods set.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
People are going to be very angry at how good pirate warrior still is and how big a place patches has in whatever new aggro deck comes about.

Fixed1979

That's just their new set, Warrior still has a very strong classic set and a good Old gods set.

Ah shit, reading comprehension FTL. Somehow didn't read the word "set" in the description...my bad.

I really have no idea what's going to go down with the warrior class for decks that aren't pirate. Control will be nearly dead as long as Jade is around and for a class that's the best for taking face damage the whole taunt thing has always bothered me.

It's because of bad cards like Iron Hide, Sudden Genesis, and especially Explore Un'Goro dragging their average score down. The Quest and the few cards it synergizes with are good enough that I think as a class they will get a good boost from this set, despite their overall class card score not looking so hot.

Yeah, it makes sense now. Just poor reading on my part. I don't disagree with the set score at all, still unsure about the value of the quest.

gutshot

I know, I'm just saying it's weird for a class quest to be voted the best when the same survey also puts the class itself at the bottom. I get it, it just looks weird.

It's because bad cards like Iron Hide, Sudden Genesis, and especially Explore Un'Goro are dragging their average score down. The Quest and the few cards it synergizes with are good enough that I think as a class they will get a good boost from this set, despite their overall class card score not looking so hot.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah if anyone wants a free run up the ladder to like 10 or 5 as soon as the expansion comes out just play the standard Pirate Warrior and enjoy wins against people testing new decks.

Pirate Warrior isn't going away. Anyone who thinks it will is deluding themselves.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man.

I am going to be only the second GAFfer to call Clutchmother Zavas a bad card.

Y'all are nuts.

You're possibly right. Part of it is there's a strong desire to rate something a 5 that's not a boring core card like Macaw or Arcanologist.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am pretty sure I massively overrated the druid quest as a 4. I read the card wrong and didn't realize it doesn't appear to hit your hand, only your deck. So, fuck that.

Pooya

Gentle Megasaur is probably one of the good cards that you won't see much of it on ladder and people will come next month and say it's overrated because of that. It's still a good card. 4mana 5/4 beast that can put a whole bunch of stats on board is good but still might not have a deck.

If druid quest made auctioneer in your hand cost 0, I could see it being good. But it seems really slow and the kind of cards you need to win the game don't work with building around the quest. It's far worse than Aviana.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Druid quest sucks even if it hit your hand. Baffling to me that it doesn't.

I bet Ramp Druid is going to take a few of the new 5 attack synergy cards, and not include the quest in the end, to increase mulligan chance at wild growth and innervate and jade blossom so you can actually play your big minions quickly.

New beasts maybe even still makes Ramp Beast Druid a thing, just without the quest.

Grief.exe

With the expansion set to launch tomorrow, it's time to take a final look at the Hearthstone GAF card ratings and see what other interesting info we can glean from it.

Quests are the big new mechanic. Are they going to be good enough? It's hard to say, but it certainly appears that our community is pretty high on a few of the Quests, with two of them landing in the top 10 cards of the set (and a 3rd just missing the cut). Here is the ranking of the Quests of Un'Goro, from best to worst, with their average score in parenthesis.

1. Fire Plume's Heart (3.98)
  2. Open the Waygate (3.85)
  3. The Marsh Queen (3.83)
  4. Lakkari Sacrifice (3.48)
  5. Unite the Murlcos (3.45)
  6. Jungle Giants (3.40)
  7. Awaken the Makers (3.35)
  8. The Last Kaleidosaur (3.10)
  9. The Caverns Below (2.65)

It's interesting, from Trump's card review video last night he seems to think that decks including Fire Plume's Heart, Open the Waygate, Awaken the Makers, Last Kaleidosaur, and Caverns Below are Tier 3 at best.

He said Marsh Queen, Lakkari, and Unite the Murlocs are the best I believe, with Jungle Giants possibly being competitive.

Dahbomb

Fire Fly is low key top 5 card in the set.

It's interesting, from Trump's card review video last night he seems to think that decks including Fire Plume's Heart, Open the Waygate, Awaken the Makers, Last Kaleidosaur, and Caverns Below are Tier 3 at best.

He said Marsh Queen, Lakkari, and Unite the Murlocs are the best I believe, with Jungle Giants possibly being competitive.
Based on history, Trump has been way, way more incorrect than GAF or most other streamers and sites.

Just look at his MSG review. A complete and utter mess.

And his theory craft on Lakkari sacrifice is all sorts of wrong. Like how the hell is a control Warlock going to play that much discard in their deck and not run out of cards to control with?

Most of the other pros are pretty big on Fire Plume's Heart. At the very least, someone is bound to be incorrect and on blast for it.

Pooya

I think druid got screwed the most honestly, there is no new removal for the class and they lose 2 good ones plus azure drake. I think most of their new cards are trash but it's still druid, wild growth and innervate are always good and can beat anything. I don't know if even aggro will work, there is no good early game to play. I think old school taunt ramp druid could work. The new dragon, druid should like that, sweep the board play a big taunt is good for you when your main weakness are zoo and shaman stuff. Paladin cards are probably stronger than druid cards in this set but paladin still doesn't do anything particularly strong so they're still the worst class.

Otoh, rogue got some good cards but they don't synergize to anything right now and there might not be be a good or viable deck at all.... You lose too much power and enablers with rotation and this current pool for sure isn't going to fill the void. You can always play aggro/tempo decks that people already play right now, it could work still but it's not very interesting.
Their cards this set have good potential in future though.

ZealousD

And his theory craft on Lakkari sacrifice is all sorts of wrong. Like how the hell is a control Warlock going to play that much discard in their deck and not run out of cards to control with?

They certainly won't run out Imps. I personally don't like the zoo version of Lakkari Sacrifice either. Nether Portal is too slow of a card for zoo.

I think the main card rogue lost that isn't easy to replace is conceal. It has strong tools to make up for pillager and even drake tbh. Conceal enabled a 2-3 turn combo and aggressive auctioneer, which is difficult to replace. I think people slept a bit on envenom. I think that is easily a 2 of in every rogue deck from now on except for the most aggressive rogue decks.

Dahbomb

They certainly won't run out Imps. I personally don't like the zoo version of Lakkari Sacrifice either. Nether Portal is too slow of a card for zoo.
You use Nether Portal in Discard Zoo to win the control match ups.

Against other aggro decks you mulligan away the quest and play standard Zoo.

But I think the main reason why the Portal won't work that well is because discarding 6 cards is actually pretty hard without including more jank stuff like the new Lakkari Hound card.

ZealousD

The worst thing about Trump reviews is that he actually feels like he has the best method for reviewing cards.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
4/4 Clutchmother alone seems pretty great, and it gives you 1 less bad result for your discards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom