• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Devolve is pretty trash. Your opponent has to get a fairly sizable board and there's no guarantee that whatever they get is going to actually be worse than what they had before. If it devolved the minions enough to put them into Lightning Storm range it might have actually been good. I don't think I'd ever play it in Constructed and it would be a hesitant pick in arena.

Pooya

Devolve hits stealth gadgetzan, edwin, questing and things like that, I guess it has some decent uses but it's like a narrow tech choice at best. It's not like rogue was beating the shaman anyway.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Devolve might be pretty good against nzoth and it's good against grimy goons.

I still think Master of evolution should work against enemies.

Cat Party

Devolve is situational, but it is way too powerful when the situation arises. It's not going to be fun when you have your whole board neutered and all your synergies ruined by a 2 mana spell. Terrible idea for a card.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Devolve has some uses in werid decks like Reno Shaman and probably whatever a control shaman looks like. Getting to silence (essentially) everything on their board is really situational, but it will almost certainly remove taunts as well so there is an upside.

This card also is a pretty good counter to N'Zoth and Deathrattles in Wild. Devolve their powerful deathrattles into whatever and laugh as they can't use Sylvannas or Belchers anymore. Pretty good there, hard to say if its worth a spot just for that though, prolly not. Good tech card in some situations.

That druid card is pretty good. The Fandral value is insane. Consider that using this thing you can either get a Golem now or 3 Golems in the future at the cost of slowing down your deck somewhat. With druid not really having many great draw options, I don't see them wanting to shuffle a ton of cards into their deck, except when you are already near fatigue. Obviously late game this is insane, but even as an early turn play to smooth out your mana curve it isn't awful. You don't want to play it T1, but turns 3-5 as an extra thing to do its pretty good. Turn 5 Fandral into this is probably game winning if you have played 1 or two other golem cards.

Xanathus

I can see Devolve being played in AoE/BogChamp Shaman. You use it first to weaken sticky boards like Deathrattles or high health minions, and then use Elemental Destruction to clear.

Fuck me I feel like Devolve is going to be so annoying to play against. I mean I understand it's good tech for nzoth and other things but ughh.

Well, it's possible that druid just gets trounced on by n'zoth decks. They don't really have a way to deal with n'zoth without yogg. There are good reasons why fatigue decks aren't very strong atm. Mostly the old gods atm.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well, it's possible that druid just gets trounced on by n'zoth decks. They don't really have a way to deal with n'zoth without yogg. There are good reasons why fatigue decks aren't very strong atm. Mostly the old gods atm.
That's what is so shitty about the card. It only excels against decks that are already weak.

That's what is so shitty about the card. It only excels against decks that are already weak.

Well, if control priest becomes a thing... and removal warrior is already a thing... even c'thun warrior... if n'zoth paladin makes a come back...

I don't think it's a knock on the card. Just a knock on the prospect of a fatigue druid. On the other hand, if you just make your deck really thick and then play golden monkey, I am pretty sure you never lose a fatigue match.

I put together a potential Druid Miracle Token Golems deck. Win condition is typical Token stuff with the addition of cycling through your deck with all it's cheap spells and summoning a bunch of cheap and powerful Golems and Giants.

Hmm, dunno about running jade idol in that deck. Seems bad. I think you want more jade golem synergy cards to make it worth while.

wiibomb

hmmm.. I like Devolve... it is an odd card, a weird card to make weird plays in a weird deck.

I want to use it in my evolve deck, although I would have liked we could chose if we want to devolve ones line of minions or the enemy's... I guess the technology isn't there

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
They really are printing a large number of cheap spells for the traditional "miracle" classes. Druid/Rogue mostly in my mind, but Priest got a few also though it might be tough to cast all of them since so many have conditions.

Maybe they have finally stopped worrying and learned to love the combo? Time will tell I suppose, but I am hopeful based on some of the great Rogue cards and some of the druid ones.

They really are printing a large number of cheap spells for the traditional "miracle" classes. Druid/Rogue mostly in my mind, but Priest got a few also though it might be tough to cast all of them since so many have conditions.

Maybe they have finally stopped worrying and learned to love the combo? Time will tell I suppose, but I am hopeful based on some of the great Rogue cards and some of the druid ones.

At least with rogue, it'll be very different from a QA/leeroy deck or maly rogue. I could now see the counterfeit coin being worth running, perhaps even over prep but I am thinking that maybe in a jade golem deck you don't run prep. We'll see about that.

CoolOff

Devolve, ayyy lmao

fertygo

Lol, people on the subreddit freaking out, calling Devolve OP.

Card is mediocre at best. It'll never see play. I don't see what all the panic is about.
The answer is its reddit.

I also think card is sux

But seems very good tech if you targetting something at tourney.. which this set oddly have quite few of it. Not just this devolve card.

gutshot

Hmm, dunno about running jade idol in that deck. Seems bad. I think you want more jade golem synergy cards to make it worth while.

That's the beauty of the card though. You don't even need to run more Jade Golem stuff. You shuffle it into your deck in the early game, summon a few Golems in the midgame (ideally when you have a Teacher or Auctioneer on board) and then in the late game you have the ability to summon larger and larger cheap threats.

cHinzo

Still gotta be Tirion, I think.
Dnno man, everyone is running stuff like Hex and Polymorph these days. While usually when u play Fandral, u also play some other spells to get instant insane value. Especially if they have innervate and there are a lot of cheap Druid spells.

Jade Druid seems scary man. Might become a legit viable deck.

Peléo

I think Devolve is pretty good, a cheaper hex or Mass Dispel in many cases. Shaman now has 3 silence effects, ranging from Mediocre to Amazing.

inky

The Jade cards are not over costed, they are costed exactly what they should be.

That Druid card.... wut. You can honestly play that in Token Druid with Arcane Giants.

Kripp probably busted a nut seeing that card. Never lose in fatigue.

Exactly what I was thinking. He was playing fatigue Reno Rogue yesterday and it's pretty much the style he likes to play.

It's a tricky balance, but fucking hell, that card will outlast everything.

ZealousD

Lol, people on the subreddit freaking out, calling Devolve OP.

Card is mediocre at best. It'll never see play. I don't see what all the panic is about.

The peanut gallery thought Prince Malchezaar was meta-defining. Timmy players don't understand why a card like this is bad, they just see "does a thing to the opponent's whole board" and then call it insane.

Well then. If jade idol catches on and enough druids play the ladder, it'll be impossible to play fatigue as any other class than druid. Or at least hard.

This expansion really seems to be on track to shake things up.

That's the beauty of the card though. You don't even need to run more Jade Golem stuff. You shuffle it into your deck in the early game, summon a few Golems in the midgame (ideally when you have a Teacher or Auctioneer on board) and then in the late game you have the ability to summon larger and larger cheap threats.

You're really just diluting your deck heavily. The first jade golem you summon is going to be a 1/1. Hell, your third will only be a 3/3. And you've played 4 cards to get there. A 3/3 is nothing compared to what you can do with a standard token deck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just played the luckiest mother fucker.

Astral communion on turn one. Turn two he draws nourish into a second nourish. Fuck off.

gutshot

You're really just diluting your deck heavily. The first jade golem you summon is going to be a 1/1. Hell, your third will only be a 3/3. And you've played 4 cards to get there. A 3/3 is nothing compared to what you can do with a standard token deck.

Maybe. That's where you need the synergy with Violet Teacher and Auctioneer. Maybe it's not good enough, but I'm curious to try it out.

Maybe. That's where you need the synergy with Violet Teacher and Auctioneer. Maybe it's not good enough, but I'm curious to try it out.

I think it could work with auctioneer, but I think you need a bigger payoff faster. Maybe VT just works in a jade golem deck, with more jade golem synergy though. Like aya, the jade golem mana ramp card too.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
At least with rogue, it'll be very different from a QA/leeroy deck or maly rogue. I could now see the counterfeit coin being worth running, perhaps even over prep but I am thinking that maybe in a jade golem deck you don't run prep. We'll see about that.

I definitely think the Counterfeit coin finds a home. Hell people are running Tomb Pillager mostly because it has decent stats and gives a coin for use in the auctioneer turn later on, I think being allowed to use the coin earlier (or to have one avaialable when you don't go second) should be a big boost to the deck.

As for what you cut to put it in, yeah Prep maybe, but damn that just feels so wrong. We'll need the cards in our hands to be sure. Maybe cut 1 Prep and 1 something else for the coins or just run 1 coin and 1 prep. Don't want to end up with too many spells that don't do anything alone either.

I'd definitely put the new jade ramp card in a deck like that, maybe a nourish or two as well. Have fewer cards that are only good when you have tokens out (lotus,1x roar) and just rely more on ramping into draw combos that generate threats as you go along. In any case I do agree that you can get away with running relatively few jade cards in a deck like that and will certainly play around with something in that vein.

V-Faction

Devolve - Suspected they would do this. AoE versus a targeted 1-cost spell is probably because the former would be too weak. This is really a tech card though, because there really isn't an ideal situation where 'devolving' a minion gains you a lot of advantage. Even 1-cost minions become simply another 1/1 or 0/2 (for wild).

Jade Idol - THIS. This is what was needed for an effective Jade Golem strat to work. A throughput card that gives you that stacking JG value. And what a friggin' strong card it is, being able to generate cards for a (1!) single mana, OR get that early game 1/1 Jade Golem out of the picture so you can start Jamping (Jade Ramping).

Thinking about it last night, A believe a total of 5 cards are needed at minimum to make Jade Golems worthwhile in a deck. 2 Jade Spirits, Aya Blackpaw, and 2 (Class Card). So that's 1/6th of your deck you have to cut. The rest can be standard spells/minion cards, or ones that enhance Jade Golems in some way.

Prediction: Shaman Legendary will be all-in on Jade Golems. It'll be the HIGHEST cost legendary Shaman has ever had to date, and it'll have a very powerful effect. Something deck-sized, like The Mistcaller.

gutshot

I think it could work with auctioneer, but I think you need a bigger payoff faster. Maybe VT just works in a jade golem deck, with more jade golem synergy though. Like aya, the jade golem mana ramp card too.

I'd definitely put the new jade ramp card in a deck like that, maybe a nourish or two as well. Have fewer cards that are only good when you have tokens out (lotus,1x roar) and just rely more on ramping into draw combos that generate threats as you go along. In any case I do agree that you can get away with running relatively few jade cards in a deck like that and will certainly play around with something in that vein.

Maybe something more like this?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Devolve - Suspected they would do this. AoE versus a targeted 1-cost spell is probably because the former would be too weak. This is really a tech card though, because there really isn't an ideal situation where 'devolving' a minion gains you a lot of advantage. Even 1-cost minions become simply another 1/1 or 0/2 (for wild).

Jade Idol - THIS. This is what was needed for an effective Jade Golem strat to work. A throughput card that gives you that stacking JG value. And what a friggin' strong card it is, being able to generate cards for a (1!) single mana, OR get that early game 1/1 Jade Golem out of the picture so you can start Jamping (Jade Ramping).

Thinking about it last night, A believe a total of 5 cards are needed at minimum to make Jade Golems worthwhile in a deck. 2 Jade Spirits, Aya Blackpaw, and 2 (Class Card). So that's 1/6th of your deck you have to cut. The rest can be standard spells/minion cards, or ones that enhance Jade Golems in some way.

Prediction: Shaman Legendary will be all-in on Jade Golems. It'll be the HIGHEST cost legendary Shaman has ever had to date, and it'll have a very powerful effect. Something deck-sized, like The Mistcaller.
The Mistcaller is the GOAT card that never got play.
I dont even have it :(

Maybe something more like this?

That's closer to what I have. But, 2 nourish and 2 auctioneer just strikes me as a bit much personally. Dunno if I would run all four of those. Maybe bring back the mark of the lotus and cut the nourish or cut the auctioneers for something else? Dunno. Could work.

Maybe you run 2 wild growths, assuming the jade blossom also draws cards at max mana it could be worth it.

gutshot

That's closer to what I have. But, 2 nourish and 2 auctioneer just strikes me as a bit much personally. Dunno if I would run all four of those. Maybe bring back the mark of the lotus and cut the nourish or cut the auctioneers for something else? Dunno. Could work.

Yeah, you might be right but I wanted more 5-drops because ramping on 3 is awkward if you don't have some good plays the next turn, I think. Maybe it needs Druid of the Claws instead of Nourish? I guess Teacher and 1-mana spell isn't the worst 5-mana play either.

It'll take some play testing, but I feel like the deck has promise.

I think ramp druid with jade golem synergy is where it's at, over the token/cycle strategy. List I did a little work on http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...35:2;49703:2;49706:1;49708:2;49712:2;49714:2;

Still considering choices but it's more of a concept. Kun + fight promoter. Lunar visions and lower spell count. All the ramp.

Anyway, I think fight promoter could be overlooked. We now have 5 drops that have 6 health and that are actually worth running. The new dragon card for priest and ethereal peddler. Maybe even arcane giants acting as an activator. Corrupted healbot. Crazed worshiper (prob not this one). Shadopan rider? Fireside destroyer...

One bad thing about the card it seems like if the 6 health minion takes damage, it's not an activator any longer. Could be the reason the card never sees play.

The few that strike me as potentially good as corrupted healbot and ethereal peddler.

I'm convinced that Jade Idol single-handily counters control Priest. Seriously feels like we're just getting shoe-horned into Dragon Priest being the only viable Priest deck. Obviously, a lot more cards need to be shown until we'll know for sure.

I'm convinced that Jade Idol single-handily counters control Priest. Seriously feels like we're just getting shoe-horned into Dragon Priest being the only viable Priest deck. Obviously, a lot more cards need to be shown until we'll know for sure.

It's not like control priest's sole end game is fatigue though. You should be building a deck to have at least one more proactive win condition since fatigue decks have been quite weak for a long time now.

edit:
Like elise... n'zoth... c'thun etc..

ZealousD

Anyway, I think fight promoter could be overlooked. We now have 5 drops that have 6 health and that are actually worth running. The new dragon card for priest and ethereal peddler. Maybe even arcane giants acting as an activator. Corrupted healbot. Crazed worshiper (prob not this one). Shadopan rider? Fireside destroyer...

Fight Promoter is awful. If you want to play it on the same turn as a 6hp minion your options are limited and you have to wait until Turn 10. You have a very limited pool of minions to come with it and generally any time before Turn 10 you are praying that your minion that you played the previous turn doesn't die. All this effort and work just to get some card draw that's just slightly over value? Too clunky.

squidyj

honestly i'm a big fan of the 2 mana 1/1 deathrattle, with stealth you're able to leverage him for stuff next turn and he gets the ball rolling early on golems. He also pairs well with n'zoth

question though. How does rogue stabilize and recover?

ZealousD

honestly i'm a big fan of the 2 mana 1/1 deathrattle, with stealth you're able to leverage him for stuff next turn and he gets the ball rolling early on golems. He also pairs well with n'zoth

question though. How does rogue stabilize and recover?

It's a lot harder for Rogues to stabilize these days with Antique Healbot gone. I would imagine that a Jade Idol focused Rogue deck is going to behave much more similarly to the pre-standard Raptor Rogue deck that gets crushed by aggro but puts out way too many threats for a control deck to deal with.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Fight Promoter is awful. If you want to play it on the same turn as a 6hp minion your options are limited and you have to wait until Turn 10. You have a very limited pool of minions to come with it and generally any time before Turn 10 you are praying that your minion that you played the previous turn doesn't die. All this effort and work just to get some card draw that's just slightly over value? Too clunky.

My only contention about Fight Promoter being potentially good, is that if you are pumping out enough golems then it can trigger off those and there should be plenty of those from the cheap spells. But yeah it seems clunky, maybe it can work out in practice when we have seen all the possible golem generators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom