• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Also I think Devolve has a place in control decks. It's a good way to deal with N'Zoth IMO.

In Wild where almost every damn deck has N'Zoth it might see play as a 1 of. I am unsure beyond that as we have seen the secret hate in Wild also fail. N'Zoth is quite a bit more omnipresent than that though so it might work. Or it might just be not enough since even a weaker board is still a big board. It's definintely in my "I have to see this in practice to judge" pile.

patchday

man this control warrior just zoth'ed my control shaman just earlier. luckily it was just casual match. I dont risk my stars on my control shaman anymore since I can win so much more easily with secret hunter, etc. But I guess that will always be the case. will always be easy to pilot- successful decks

Granted I will go Wild ladder with my control shaman

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Devolve might be playable, if 2 mana Ironbeak Owl would be playable. It is basically a 2 mana silence, and you're making up the lack of the 2/1 body by getting a lower stated minion off it, on average. I'd call it borderline playable.

At some point i'll go through and inspect how many commonly played cards would be good targets for it. Not just deathrattles but just straight up overstated cards like Druid of the Claw should be fine targets. Really depends on how many targets there are for it.

I didn't realize Pint Sized Potion was so highly rated by the community. It's certainly playable in any deck that runs cabal and pain, and I suspect a lot of priest decks will run them, but it's far from meta-defining.

Cat Party

I didn't realize Pint Sized Potion was so highly rated by the community. It's certainly playable in any deck that runs cabal and pain, and I suspect a lot of priest decks will run them, but it's far from meta-defining.

It will make SW:H playable. I think Reno Priest will definitely include that combo.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Devolve is really bad there is really good edge case where the card can be useful but its not reliable to put in your 30 card of choice.

Card will does next to nothing against zoolock board.. not affect violet teacher token or shaman totem.

So what the hell you use it for? Its simply unreliable for laddering.

Like I say its tournament tech card IMO.. if you decide target the hell out of nzoth warrior or something similar.

The worst devolve target on a zoolock board is Defender of Argus, because you're probably getting better stats on that minion once you devolve it. Otherwise, the board is full of good 1 drops that you turn into Tinyfins, and minions that have better than normal stats because they're tied to discard mechanics.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It will make SW:H playable. I think Reno Priest will definitely include that combo.

Eh, maybe. Problem is SW:Horror is still bad without the combo, while Cabal and SW:pain is good any deck.

Might make the cut for reno though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just won like 7 games in a row, in wild, with murlock, and now i'm ranked higher in wild than i am in standard.

wut

ZealousD

Going from rank 19/20 wherever I started to rank 12/13 I didn't see a single competent deck.

Yeah I got as high as Rank 13 before I just stopped. Wild is usually where I play my shitty meme decks for quests. My murlock deck was literally every single murloc I could put in there, 2 POs, 2 soulfires, and a Leeroy.

patchday

wow faced 3 shaman in a row and won them all. Freeze mage ftw. this last shaman instaconceded once he realized the Cold Winter I had planned for him

also before that was 2 mill rogues back-to-back. luckily already had all my lethal in hand before rogue started milling. he knew i was sitting on lethal and conceded before I could pop him

Yeah I got as high as Rank 13 before I just stopped. Wild is usually where I play my shitty meme decks for quests. My murlock deck was literally every single murloc I could put in there, 2 POs, 2 soulfires, and a Leeroy.

Yeah, I been doing quests there. Recently I got the 75 battlecry quest twice (100g a piece love it) and I play an altered version of my c'thun rogue since most of the cards have battlecry. These opponents make it look top tier.

jgminto

Devolve might be playable, if 2 mana Ironbeak Owl would be playable. It is basically a 2 mana silence, and you're making up the lack of the 2/1 body by getting a lower stated minion off it, on average. I'd call it borderline playable.

At some point i'll go through and inspect how many commonly played cards would be good targets for it. Not just deathrattles but just straight up overstated cards like Druid of the Claw should be fine targets. Really depends on how many targets there are for it.
The thing is that Shaman wouldn't run 2 Mana Owl over Hex or Earth Shock. There are also fewer targets worth silencing in this meta than when Owls were dominant, if most circumstances just lead to a potential reduction in board stats(not even guaranteed in some situations), I don't think it will see any play if Hex isn't also getting nerfed.

Pooya

I've played a paladin deck with just divine shield minions and bunch of weapons for quest and had so much success with it in wild. It felt OP. lol

The other really powerful quest deck is warrior card deck, it had 28 class cards and 2 patrons. It was pretty good obviously.

rickyson1

one thing about devolve is that outside of certain minions the cards you're playing are better than an "average" card of that cost,which limits evolve a bit by making the expected gap between the two mana costs much smaller

devolve is the reverse of that,you're only gonna be playing it on above average minions for that mana cost,usually well above average

I don't know anything about constructed so I won't comment on that but I think it will be pretty easily better than evolve in arena,which is already a pretty solid card

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, is Blizard actually going to reveal any cards for that Silence Priest Archetype they were supposed to push this expansion and talked about when people bitched about Purify?

fertygo

So, is Blizard actually going to reveal any cards for that Silence Priest Archetype they were supposed to push this expansion and talked about when people bitched about Purify?
They never said anything about that.. they only think silence priest is fun to mess around and they preparing stuff in the store for more competitive priest deck.

This shit is hilarious. Watching people running around shouting the sky is falling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSGPRDT/comments/5edmt2/prerelease_card_discussion_devolve/

Devolve is already an easy pick for most overrated card of the set, at least where r/Hearthstone is concerned.

Even the best arguments for it being strong are N'Zoth and Anyfin, which makes up next to none of the Standard ladder right now. Even then Hex is a stronger card for screwing up those decks anyway and are you really going to run two Hexes and two Devolves to counter those decks? Not a chance.

Jadax

It's reddit - herd mentality is a big thing there. People see an argument and jump in, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Unfortunately for us, developers give reddit a lot of attention and end up taking ideas/feedback from it.

It's reddit - herd mentality is a big thing there. People see an argument and jump in, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Unfortunately for us, developers give reddit a lot of attention and end up taking ideas/feedback from it.

To find dissenting opinions you have to stop looking at only the most popular (upvoted) opinions / mainstream locations (subreddits). Like in real life. You can always bring out your different opinions there, but there is no guarantee of support unless you can convince the mainstreamers.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I think Devlove is a niche card for control shaman, and I don't see it getting used outside of Wild. It's a soft counter for death rattle effects.

Finalow

It's too situational to be used by itself, and with the exception of Cabal Shadow Priest, all the cards it combos with result in sub-optimal synergy or it requires you to run cards that are also bad on their own.
that's not quite true, Potion of Madness is anything but bad on its own and with the Pint-Sized Potion synergy you can temporary steal any 5 attack minion for 2 mana. sure it's a 2 card combo, but still insane value. Shaman plays double 5/5 taunt on turn 4 or something? You kill both with 2 mana. using it on its own isn't that situational either, you just need something on the board and then you can make free trades with it, while playing more stuff because it's just 1 mana.
and as you mentioned, Cabal synergy is amazing as well.
meta-defining? Probably not. a very good card that will see play? Yep.

Devlove could be good for Wild since there are deathrattles and N'Zoths everywhere, but I don't see the card by itself being played in standard.

Pooya

From my experience whenever clmibng out of rank 20-15, where double poly double flamestrike mages seem to be the norm, I guess devolve is meta defining just like Prince Malch which almost everyone plays in those ranks. It's a whole different game in those ranks.
It can actually get annoying to climb out of if you waited to play ladder with all these bad random cards you can lose to. Like I was playing druid and this guy had Black Knight and panda in his deck, I'm not even mad, good for you bro.

Dahbomb

Devolve hard counters Anyfin Paladin.

I think Devolve is both better than people are expecting and worse than it. This is for sure going to be a card that people call incorrectly.

Pooya

Countering the non existent seems like a bad idea. I'd rate the card above Eater of Secrets, it's a similar kind of tech card, it's better than that for sure but yeah...

I could see it in some formats or tournaments, ladder? Nah.

Outside of edge cases against decks that don't see much play, I don't really envision Devolve accomplishing anything that Hex, Lightning Storm and Maelstrom aren't already taking care of.

Unless the frequency of decks like N'Zoth, C'Thun and Anyfin sees a drastic spike then I don't see the card making its way into decks.

I guess if Grimy Goons decks become somewhat popular on ladder then you might consider running it.

Szadek

that's not quite true, Potion of Madness is anything but bad on its own and with the Pint-Sized Potion synergy you can temporary steal any 5 attack minion for 2 mana. sure it's a 2 card combo, but still insane value. Shaman plays double 5/5 taunt on turn 4 or something? You kill both with 2 mana. using it on its own isn't that situational either, you just need something on the board and then you can make free trades with it, while playing more stuff because it's just 1 mana.
and as you mentioned, Cabal synergy is amazing as well.
meta-defining? Probably not. a very good card that will see play? Yep.

Devlove could be good for Wild since there are deathrattles and N'Zoths everywhere, but I don't see the card by itself being played in standard.
Except you don't, like at all.
There are both at 2/5 ,so this great comdo deals a grand total of 4 damage.

Mulgrok

I lost a lot of ranks playing experimental decks, but soared back to rank 7 quickly with my midrange paladin deck.

KCWimAn.png

The violet illusionest and weapons are great against aggro, brann + ivory knight saved me from death by combos, and Murloc Knight carries with a lot of value. Bonus being I can pick anyfin from knight for 10 heal and use it to resurrect the murloc trash I spawn.

I feel like Wild and Standard are both shitty decks/play until ~rank 8.

I don't know about wild, but I routinely meet golden portraits with meta decks at rank 19-20 standard. I don't know about level of skill for those players, but I do know I need a decent deck to climb above that.

edit-- some scrub decks do exist but meta decks are more common.

gutshot

Devolve is such an obviously bad card. I'm surprised there is even any debate about it at all. Paying 2 mana to NOT deal with your opponent's board is terrible.

zoukka

I think Devolve is both better than people are expecting and worse than it. This is for sure going to be a card that people call incorrectly.

Hard counters? There won't be many situations where all thr murlocs just sit on the board, the charge ones trade and you can't really use early turns to devolve a single warleader either.

Devolve seems unplayable to me at first glance but we'll see. Mass dispel never saw play and it drew you a card.

Tacitus_

Devolve is such an obviously bad card. I'm surprised there is even any debate about it at all. Paying 2 mana to NOT deal with your opponent's board is terrible.

If N'zoth / goons decks dominate the ladder, it could see use... in a class that doesn't have access to Hex and Earth Shock.

Dahbomb

Mass Dispel is also 4 mana. And in some cases transforming is better than silencing (while in others worse).

I don't think it's a great card but it needs more consideration.

jgminto

It would be cool to see a Shaman Legendary with both Evolve effects attached, that seems like the absurd chaos the theme is meant to lead to.

Put me in the camp of devolve being bad but interesting. Well bad might be pushing it, it's niche for sure though. It's going to be around -1/-1 across the board for most decks at which point you may as well just play maelstrom. Teching for decks which are not being seen or don't present a threatening matchup doesn't make sense to me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It would be cool to see a Shaman Legendary with both Evolve effects attached, that seems like the absurd chaos the theme is meant to lead to.
Something like this?:
BattleCry: Transform your minions in +1 cost minions
Deathrattle: Transform your enemy minions in -1 cost mininos

Could be crazy fun/broken

Offtopic: Is there a concrete release date for the expansion?

ZealousD

It's not like Midrange Shaman has trouble with Anyfin today. Plus Hex deals with the warleaders already. What's the point?

Mass Dispel is also 4 mana. And in some cases transforming is better than silencing (while in others worse).

I don't think it's a great card but it needs more consideration.

Mass Dispel also draws a card which adds at least 1.5 mana into its value. Plus, it's a bad card.

Except you don't, like at all.
There are both at 2/5 ,so this great comdo deals a grand total of 4 damage.

It's possible that once you steal one of the minions that it returns to a 5/5 (it's no longer an enemy minion) which means you kill one of them, but you certainly don't kill both. This is still bad, since you're two-for-oneing yourself.

patchday

yuckies got a play 50 paladin card quest. but it is 60g. reroll or nah? Idk....

been having fun farming aggro decks on this ladder with my freeze mage. wish I'd get a mage quest

Ladekabel

yuckies got a play 50 paladin card quest. but it is 60g. reroll or nah? Idk....

been having fun farming aggro decks on this ladder with my freeze mage. wish I'd get a mage quest

Make a deck with the cheapest Paladin cards + Divine Favor and play a few games in Casual.

Szadek

It's possible that once you steal one of the minions that it returns to a 5/5 (it's no longer an enemy minion) which means you kill one of them, but you certainly don't kill both. This is still bad, since you're two-for-oneing yourself.
Why would this card work differently than other similar cards?

ZealousD

Why would this card work differently than other similar cards?

It might apply an aura on the opponent's side of the board? I don't really know. Blizzard hasn't always been consistent with how they code these types of interactions.

patchday

yeah I ended up rerolling the pally quest thats just too many cards for my taste ;(

Got 2400 gold saved for expansion. going to opening up a lot of packs when this expansion hits (+preorder 50)

wiibomb

yeah I ended up rerolling the pally quest thats just too many cards for my taste ;(

Got 2400 gold saved for expansion. going to opening up a lot of packs when this expansion hits (+preorder 50)

I'm about to hit 4000 today (hopefully the brawl is enough to clear all I have queued) and for some reason, the amazon promotion ($50 for $25) was allowed for my main account even when I couldn't before, so now I have a load of "money" to burn on the expansion...

I'm just sad I can't buy the preorder on the app since I can't use the amazon coins for it.

BTW, when should we be waiting the winter veil events?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom