• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

I'm confused. The game downloaded 700 something MBs but now that I launch the game, on US side says client version mismatch (huh?) and on EU side it goes into the game but no Eternal Conflict yet, I guess it's not released yet.

My average experience playing a game of HotS on ORD1:

http://imgur.com/a/HwT64

Alternate title, Blizzard needs more fucking server clusters. Or why I won't be playing HotS until Blizzard gets their shit together. Or why the fuck am I playing on a server cluster in Illinois?

I would have left this game but I'm already receiving a matchmaking penalty because I've left five other completely unplayable games on ORD1.

you should see EU8 then, it was alright before but for the past few weeks it's so laggy I stopped playing on EU as a whole even though my buddies play there. ORD1 is way better right now...
Battle.net is a joke of a network compared with everything else on PC or console, reliability and features, it's amazing how blizzard is so successful in spite of that...

you should see EU8 then, it was alright before but for the past few weeks it's so laggy I stopped playing on EU as a whole even though my buddies play there. ORD1 is way better right now...
Battle.net is a joke of a network compared with everything else on PC or console, reliability and features, it's amazing how blizzard is so successful in spite of that...

I just don't understand how they've released the game to the public and how woefully inadequate their infrastructure is. There has been a constant stream of threads complaining about horrendous, absolutely horrendous latency issues for months. They have collected thousands of tracecerts, again, for months. It's not third party internet service providers that are at fault, it's Blizzards lack of infrastructure. You don't see Valve or Riot shrugging and pointing the finger at Time Warner Cable. Blizzard are being far too conservative in this matter and it's going to cost them customers.

I have never spent any amount of time on a technical support forum trying to play Dota 2, but now that's what I spend more time doing just trying to play HotS and it's kind of reaching the point where it's simply not worth it. I can't help but feel if this was WoW and everyone who has a problem with ORD1 were subscribers, this would have been solved months ago. But this is the new Blizzard we're dealing with, fiscally conservative free-to-play Blizzard.

This worries me about Overwatch, if they think having a 100+ ping for an fps is acceptable that game is in for a rough ride.

ref

Man, Muradin is really boring to play. I feel like every game I'm against him he's incredibly strong, but playing him is really boring.

Time to go back to Nova!

Just read this on Reddit:

Noticed that Octograb is bugged with the latest patch. Normally when you grab someone with octograb, you are stuck to them hitting them with your fish for the 3 second stun.
However I noticed that you now able to right click to move, and break away while they are still stunned. This actually lets you to attack them normally while they can't move.
This seems to happen most of the time(At least with the few games I had), and is very easy to accidentally do.
This works to the Murky's advantage, allowing you to do more damage while they are stunned, unless you have "A Shark Too" then it stops your shark damage.

If you can move and use fast rewind and then use the pufferfish again before it break te grab

I just tried it, it's so disgusting. It allows you to repeatedly cast slime, too. If you have Slime Advantage it's an absolutely disgusting damage increase.

Murky is life.

Pooya

I just don't understand how they've released the game to the public and how woefully inadequate their infrastructure is. There has been a constant stream of threads complaining about horrendous, absolutely horrendous latency issues for months. They have collected thousands of tracecerts, again, for months. It's not third party internet service providers that are at fault, it's Blizzards lack of infrastructure. You don't see Valve or Riot shrugging and pointing the finger at Time Warner Cable. Blizzard are being far too conservative in this matter and it's going to cost them customers.

I have never spent any amount of time on a technical support forum trying to play Dota 2, but now that's what I spend more time doing just trying to play HotS and it's kind of reaching the point where it's simply not worth it. I can't help but feel if this was WoW and everyone who has a problem with ORD1 were subscribers, this would have been solved months ago. But this is the new Blizzard we're dealing with, fiscally conservative free-to-play Blizzard.

This worries me about Overwatch, if they think having a 100+ ping for an fps is acceptable that game is in for a rough ride.

Even Hearthstone is laggy, Battle.net was just ok for SCII, then they launched two f2p games that are growing very rapidly but their backend services aren't.

danielcw

EU8 is fine for me, and I don't remember any of the regular EU gaffers I played with having any problems, except one, who seems to be sure that his provider is the problem.

From Starcraft 2 to Diablo 3 to Heroes, I have a hard time remembering any serious problems.

At face value I would guess that most of the problems are actually caused somewhere between the client's computers and the ISPs on the road to Blizzard's servers.

Thanks Daniel, that's super helpful! Why don't you mosey on over to the battle.net technical support forums and reassure everyone who is having horrendous latency issues that your connection is and always has been fine.

danielcw

Thanks Daniel, that's super helpful! Why don't you mosey on over to the battle.net technical support forums and reassure everyone who is having horrendous latency issues that your connection is and always has been fine.

What is your problem? No reason for you to react like that.
Sorry, but I am really hurt by that reaction.

As I said, I haven't just been talking about myself, but also about what I heard from other people.

I also don't see how it helps to lament about Blizzard. I am not making stuff up.
The fact the some people don't have problems, while others have to report a lot shows that the situation is more complex than "Blizzard sucks".

The best thing people can do is to try to diagnose the problems and report them.

Alur

FWIW I've also responded and said the same thing numerous times. It is what it is.

He's right they do need to set up more servers. Until they do not a lot more to add really. Most folks only have the lag during primetime hours. Jaundice's issue seems to be much larger than the majority though.

JC Sera

I caved, shes so pretty
UACvMrO.jpg

Ketch

I as thinking it's probably cuss the PTR was garbage.

Haven't seen it in action but it was already a really strong ability. I still don't understand why they'd nerf living the dream.

danielcw

He's right they do need to set up more servers. Until they do not a lot more to add really. Most folks only have the lag during primetime hours. Jaundice's issue seems to be much larger than the majority though.

When you say "he" you mean, Jaundice?

If I understand his post correctly, he is talking about that problematic US server - ORD1? Which makes me understand his reaction even less, because in my post I only talked EU8 (or maybe 7)

What are the problematic primetime hours for ORD1?

Alur

What are the problematic primetime hours for ORD1?

From 7 EST to 10 EST (and sometimes earlier or later) a lot of East Coast TWC, Cox, and a few other ISP customers are having lag from 150ms to 200ms bare minimum, often much higher for some.

Since anything past 125ms seems to start the hitching they have in the game to "catch you up" it's pretty shitty.

It first occurred in mid-May for 2-3 days and was corrected for about 3 weeks. Then it came back mid-June and is now an every night thing due to the handoff between TWC (most of the affected people's ISP) and AT&T (Blizzard's ISP) being fucked up. That connection is handled by XO Communications and they are just overloaded and apparently don't really give a damn to fix it for a few video games...hence most people calling for more server clusters.

It makes no sense why there isn't one on the East Coast anyway considering the fact that the majority of the population of the country is considered "East Coast"...yet the server is in Chicago that we use.

Also, I'm not ranting just explaining. :D I've just learned to live with it and only play heroes that can handle the stuttering during those hours. The rest of the time I have about 50-70ms which is great. Not as good as my 40ms Alpha days, but good enough.

is this a good game for a MOBA noob like me? I only played like a bot match of league long time ago.

It is! Really easy to get into and it has a good enough tutorial. It also helps if you're into the Blizzard characters.

It's very noob friendly while still having that MOBA depth if you choose to dive in.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I was in the Technical Alpha but the game never really clicked with me. I came back to give it another shot and while I still don't like playing most heroes.... Zagara really, really clicked with me. I just love pushing the hell out of lanes and having my little army of roaches and hydras run around.

Any tips from other Zagara mains? My current strategy is...

-Push lanes
-Drop creep tumors to the side while laning and busting camps.
-Get mercs (seems easier than most heroes because minions tank damage)
-Get that rapid regeneration talent ASAP

So I was in the Technical Alpha but the game never really clicked with me. I came back to give it another shot and while I still don't like playing most heroes.... Zagara really, really clicked with me. I just love pushing the hell out of lanes and having my little army of roaches and hydras run around.

-Push lanes

Be sure to do those creep rumors in fog to give you vision in there. I know you said "to the side" but I just wanted to add this.

Also, do you get The Maw or her Nydus network?

is this a good game for a MOBA noob like me? I only played like a bot match of league long time ago.

Yes! I tried to play DOTA2 and League and had a very tough time with it, especially because of the toxicity of the playerbase; I also hated the "last hit" mechanic. But I tried this one out in the beta and found it to be quite easy to learn. I definitely recommend trying this out. Go through the tutorial and then play a couple of A.I. matches to get a feel for things, then jump right into Quick Match (preferably with a party of GAFfers).

edit-

-Push lanes

I pretty much go with this build, except I usually take Endless Creep at Level 7 to give my team more map vision: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/guide/zagara-team-ranged-dps-zero-downtime-72

Also, Hunter Killer will despawn when its target dies, so don't bother using them on minions, just heroes or when taking merc camps. And place a Creep tumor near your tower, so you can run back easily.

Llyranor

It absolutely is. I was not into MOBAs at all. Dota2 was daunting for me, and I didn't like some of the concepts like last-hit and so on. I'm completely addicted to HOTS.

Though, with HOTS being my gateway into the genre, do you guys think other games like LoL or Dota2 would be worthwhile for me? Mind you, I like the faster pace and shorter length of matches, and shared team level and no last-hit are things that make HOTS more accessible for me.

Ketch

To me it's the kind of difference between playing an arcade style game and a simulation style game in the same subject matter. For example, does liking mariokart mean you want to play Forza?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Also, do you get The Maw or her Nydus network?

I almost always go with The Maw. Nydus seems like it's only a thing if I was going to try and push two lanes at once? The ability to lopside a team fight with The Maw just seems stronger.

JC Sera

I almost always go with The Maw. Nydus seems like it's only a thing if I was going to try and push two lanes at once? The ability to lopside a team fight with The Maw just seems stronger.
I find Nydus is super useful for putting close to map specific objectives. Also plonking one in base, then you can TP to lane immediately.

Ketch

I just tried the new possession and it still sucks.

Like to get use it'd need to be in specific built comp against a team with no wave clear.

Thanks for all the response definitely gonna download it right now. If anyone want to play with me let me know. Leave me your in game name I will add you.

I just tried the new possession and it still sucks.

Like to get use it'd need to be in specific built comp against a team with no wave clear.

I tried it too. It seems as if you just give the opposing team two waves of XP, instead of just one.

Blizz needs to try harder to get any usage out of Possession. They'll probably nerf Wailing Arrow into the depths of Mordor, but people will still pick it because Possession is that bad.

EDIT: I was wrong - Possession grants you the XP and regen globe of the minions possessed, and denies their XP to the enemy team.

Celegus

To me it's the kind of difference between playing an arcade style game and a simulation style game in the same subject matter. For example, does liking mariokart mean you want to play Forza?

Great way to put it. I'll stick firmly in the HotS/Mario Kart camp and go nowhere near the rest.

Maximus.

It absolutely is. I was not into MOBAs at all. Dota2 was daunting for me, and I didn't like some of the concepts like last-hit and so on. I'm completely addicted to HOTS.

Though, with HOTS being my gateway into the genre, do you guys think other games like LoL or Dota2 would be worthwhile for me? Mind you, I like the faster pace and shorter length of matches, and shared team level and no last-hit are things that make HOTS more accessible for me.

I don't think I will get into those other games. There is no variation and the mechanics just aren't appealing to me. With this game, I really like a lot of the characters, having played them in other games, and the mechanics just click with me.

Raven77

What are your guys thoughts on the Brightwing changes? It is basically not the same character. I haven't had a chance to test it but it sounds pretty bad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm in the hotel room gonna relax abit

How is butcher

Is illidan still good

How powerful is sylvanas nerfs

I fucking love you guys

Alur

Butcher is the best hero on a good team and the worst hero on a bad team. Seems to be in a good spot IMO.

Illidan definitely not as strong but has seemed okay still from what I saw.

Sylvanas is still Sylvanas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom