• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

kirblar

The problem is that Jake doesnt understand why people are upset here, that the base emotions triggering this response are related to fairness, not entitlement. Hes gonna get blown up on this for good reason.

Milly79

The problem is that Jake doesnt undwrstand why people are upsst here, and the base emotions triggering this response are related to fairness, not entitlement.

Sounds like scoobs not understanding us 95% of the time, too

Oh shit I figured it out

Scoobs is Jake

brian!

I like how everyone has kinda accepted that lvl 10 allowing you to spend 10k on a skin is normal vs. you know, getting the skin at 10 lol

Alur

I don't know how Jake of all HOTS personalities can be considered even a moderately big shill. Not a great host or caster sure, but THH has regularly went at/complained about changes, lack of features, and other issues with the games for a long time. Including having very negative guests or players from time to time. Shilling, if that's what we're gonna call trying to keep everything mostly positive, is the modus operandi of ITN crew to a large degree and CORE to a lesser from my POV. Not much negative hits those two shows.

Edit: could also argue Jake is the one HOTS personality with the biggest axe to grind with Blizzard. He went from face of the game in 2015 to slowly phased out in 2016 to casting amateur series in 2017. Can't forget that.

Ketch

I feel bad for people who spent a crap load of gold on master skins, or anyone who bought one recently.

They're all going on a 90% discount.

What they could do is adjust master skin prices based on how good the skin is.

Tassadars makes sense for 100 shards.

Rexxar s does not.

The loot box stuff, people need to get over it. The argument breaks down to either I should get more or they should get less. 70 boxes is a crap load, deal with it.

Edit: @brian I always liked master skin idea because it's one thing to level a hero it's a whole nother thing to pump that much gold into a hero you already own. Like how dedicated to this hero are you mr f2p player?

brian!

Hes not really a shill in the normal definition, it's more that he's a super fan with a small field of vision and in that fov is a rose-tinted view of blizz headquarters. Like i didnt check out any of his stuff during the probius release but id bet money that he was all yooooo this hero is awesome and looks incredible, this is pretty much his default reaction to most things. It'd def be endearing to me if he didnt just naturally bother me haha but that's not really his fault

@ketch yeah i can see that for sure, my bro is a big illidan stan and he just went for it. Personally i felt weird about it cuz 1. I dont really like the look of the master skins and 2. It felt weird because you're constantly receiving rewards when leveling and then you hit the big milestone to be met with "congratulations, we're gonna let u soend 10k now". In the end tho it's whatever to me, just a bit of dissonance on my end

Ketch

Ketch is a shill now

Ohhhhh fuck yes. Gimme that blizzard bucks. Everything about hots is perfect! My favorite part is how they're in ESPN sometimes!

Anyone who thinks they DESERVE 100s and 100s of loot boxes because they played the game a lot is a moron.

brian!

I had no idea that you could unlock heroes from the boxes until i tried it yesterday, i really think that's great for a player like me

Ketch

I don't support exploitative monetization like gambling.

This I totally agree with. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a more manipulative way to get people to spend money. I am more likely to spend real money in this system.

Also I stand by my assertion. if you think you should get 600 loot boxes then you're being ridiculous

brian!

There's a post on reddit about having your stuff unlocked cross-region, id love that even tho i dont expect it to happen, wanna play w/ eugaf

Once played with yoshi on ptr randomly, that was nice

kirblar

Fuck everyone who dismisses the concerns and/or praise from all sides regarding "2.0".

Personally, as someone who has supported HotS with real money purchases, I will never spend real money on this game again in it's "2.0" state. I don't support exploitative monetization like gambling. And, yes, I understand that it's for cosmetics and not mandatory to play the game.

If you like the changes, all the power to you.

I like the UI changes although Overwatch's hero collection is way better than HotS' implementation.
It's the OW system. And people really like the OW system. Gold isn't going away, you can still buy heroes at the same rate without paying.

I've played MTG since 5th grade- HS, OW, now HOTS- they're just booster packs. And people really really really like booster packs. (heck the game of Diablo is all about killing booster packs!)

Alur

re: loot box complaint morons

Clearly Blizzard can't just give us 400-700 loot boxes day 1 for a variety of reasons, including money. But the minute disparity between a guy with 400 levels and 700 levels is still super shitty. 400 gets you ~50 but 600 gets you ~60. That's 200 more levels you gained and you get a whopping 10 boxes for that. That is dumb.

If the cap is something they have to do economically or for server reasons or both, there are solutions that don't feel quite as bad for veterans. Make all of the boxes they receive higher quality (rare/epic) instead of having them operate on the 1 box every so many levels acquired standard. Offer free shards. Come out and clarify if we will still get all the gems we would receive in the new system for leveling up. Etc. etc.

I don't think the complaints are unreasonable at all. Knowing my Alur smurf will be able to rack up loot boxes like crazy feels bad compared to my main account which I've sunk days and days into. Wanting better compensation than like 8% of all the loot boxes I should've earned otherwise isn't a lot to ask. Especially considering the money most of those people have already put into this game.

re: loot box complaint morons

Clearly Blizzard can't just give us 400-700 loot boxes day 1 for a variety of reasons, including money. But the minute disparity between a guy with 400 levels and 700 levels is still super shitty. 400 gets you ~50 but 600 gets you ~60. That's 200 more levels you gained and you get a whopping 10 boxes for that. That is dumb.

If the cap is something they have to do economically or for server reasons or both, there are solutions that don't feel quite as bad for veterans. Make all of the boxes they receive higher quality (rare/epic) instead of having them operate on the 1 box every so many levels acquired standard. Offer free shards. Come out and clarify if we will still get all the gems we would receive in the new system for leveling up. Etc. etc.

I don't think the complaints are unreasonable at all. Knowing my Alur smurf will be able to rack up loot boxes like crazy feels bad compared to my main account which I've sunk days and days into. Wanting better compensation than like 8% of all the loot boxes I should've earned otherwise isn't a lot to ask. Especially considering the money most of those people have already put into this game.

Exactly this. Not expecting a 1 box per level, but 70 is way low.

Ketch

Open your 70 boxes, calculate how much what you get would have cost you in real money and then complain.

How ridiculous would you feel saying "they only gave me 100 bucks" or "they only gave me 50 bucks". What does that number need to be?

You're not getting ripped off. (Anymore then you were before anyway). You're getting a shit load of free stuff no matter how you slice it. The arguement boils down to I deserve more then other people, and the response is no you don't. Because you don't.

In the flip side I agree with proto. Loot boxes are manipulative. I agree that being able to straight up just buy what you want is preferable. Selling fake currency in chunks of 500, not being able to only spend exactly what you want is total bullshit.

However the real money prices were waaaaay to much. We will be able to get way more cosmetic items for free then before. Personally I think that's worth the trade off because I'm done spending real money on the game in any case.

brian!

I dunno, like while im sure that there are plenty of ppl who feel like they are arbitrarily entitled to more stuff, it seems like a lot of ppl are miffed just because they feel the exchange rate isnt right and favors newer players...which is something very fixable by blizz, whether it's through a goodwill gift or just equalizing the exchange rate a bit.

In the end id want them to prioritize making newer players feel good about getting rewards and stuff for playing, but it's not as if that is mutually exclusive with making older players feel happy with what their getting too

Alur

I still won't be playing on the live server until "2.0" launches though.

I feel the same regarding that. You're hurting yourself if you are a long term player and level up before the change goes live. I guess you could play brawl or something.

It raises very interesting interactions with Cassia, too. Like I really want to play Cassia next week, but if I level her through 1-5 or 1 through whatever, that's just more loot boxes I lose to the cap. I'll probably just play her on an alt I guess.

I can't wait for the reddit q&a where they will answer no questions at all again.

I expect we'll get the PR hustle on the 70 cap, with a news post later where they slightly increase compensation. The master skin stuff is probably a surprise to them, so I don't know how they'll respond. Beyond that I don't expect a whole lot. It's kind of like interviewing political candidates on the campaign trail. For the most part they are going to want to stick to their talking points.

You guys know what's coming next -- seasonal/event loot boxes with exclusive items a la big brother Overwatch. Can't wait for that shitstorm.

Oh, I'm sure. That's a double edged sword. I enjoy those things in Overwatch. I don't know how I'll feel about it in HOTS.

Probably my biggest complaint would be that if they do put out a lot of stuff for that now that we have loot boxes...why the fuck couldn't we get more stuff before the loot boxes?

Pooya

Maybe 100 boxes is better, You can't expect 1-1 conversion. It breaks the system.

I have everyone at at least level 5 and a few at 10, mostly are 7-8. I'm the ultimate casual player I guess, maybe play 6 games a week including brawls but I played since beta so I own almost everyone...

Do I hit the 70 box cap too? I don't know the math involved. If it's 1 box per level I guess I will. Like every regular player would?

edit: The fact that boxes have pre determined quality and you can reroll them too, makes it better than other gacha systems around. I don't mind it. The business model is far better than HS for example, not even close.

kirblar

I get that and I've played TCG/CCGs where it's arguably worse since it's pay-to-win. I think the difference lies in the perception. HotS launched with one system, where you can buy what you want, and is now changing gears to this new RNG system with generic "gems" and whatnot.
RM price of heroes is going down and you can still buy featured skins. The rotation is annoying- but how many were buying skins that weren't half off or discounted in a bundle anyway?

Alavard

You guys know what's coming next -- seasonal/event loot boxes with exclusive items a la big brother Overwatch. Can't wait for that shitstorm.

Won't really be all that different from the seasonal skins we already have. At least in Overwatch, after the outcry during the first seasonal event, they started allowing you to buy the seasonal stuff directly with in-game currency rather than needing to get it from a loot box. They'll probably do the same in HotS.

Ketch

RM price of heroes is going down and you can still buy featured skins. The rotation is annoying- but how many were buying skins that weren't half off or discounted in a bundle anyway?

Yea but hero prices going down is a trap. 750 for a hero, but currency is only available in 500 or 1000 increments.

Alur

Open your 70 boxes, calculate how much what you get would have cost you in real money and then complain.

How ridiculous would you feel saying "they only gave me 100 bucks" or "they only gave me 50 bucks". What does that number need to be?

You're not getting ripped off. (Anymore then you were before anyway). You're getting a shit load of free stuff no matter how you slice it. The arguement boils down to I deserve more then other people, and the response is no you don't. Because you don't.

The argument isn't about deserving more than other people. It's about the fact that if you level 500 times you get 500 loot boxes in 2.0.

Instead, that person who did it beforehand will get like 55 boxes.

That's shitty compensation. It's a very small percentage of the work you put in. It looks bad and it feels bad.

As I said before, clearly they can't give you 500 boxes or whatever. But they could easily give those players better quality boxes to compensate if they are dead set on this cap. That's not a hard thing to do, and is it at least something to acknowledge that their most dedicated players are being hosed for playing too much prior to 2 .0 and won't be able to make up that difference afterward because they've likely burnt all the easy chances to get loot boxes outside of a new hero every 3 to 4 weeks.

If they made the new HOTS system a flat amount of EXP for every level like they have in OW past level 20, this wouldn't be as big of a deal. That doesn't happen til level 10, though, and it escalates each level before that as well. Level 1-5 is 5 loot boxes per hero, and if you've played a long time you've likely leveled most of the heroes through that so that's easy loot boxes (or money via shards) to get things you want that you have no access to...but new players can easily acquire.

I have everyone at at least level 5 and a few at 10, mostly are 7-8. I'm the ultimate casual player I guess, maybe play 6 games a week including brawls but I played since beta so I own almost everyone...

Do I hit the 70 box cap too? I don't know the math involved. If it's 1 box per level I guess I will. Like every regular player would?

No, you won't hit the 70 box cap and you also screwed yourself because you leveled every hero to 5 already so you can't get the easy 1-5 loot boxes. That's the whole complaint. By leveling each hero up past level 5/6, you will have missed out on so many easy loot boxes that a new player can get just doing the free rotation.

edit: The fact that boxes have pre determined quality and you can reroll them too, makes it better than other gacha systems around. I don't mind it. The business model is far better than HS for example, not even close.

This is true, though when buying loot boxes they seem to be only one quality.

Kioshen

I feel the same regarding that. You're hurting yourself if you are a long term player and level up before the change goes live. I guess you could play brawl or something.

It raises very interesting interactions with Cassia, too. Like I really want to play Cassia next week, but if I level her through 1-5 or 1 through whatever, that's just more loot boxes I lose to the cap. I'll probably just play her on an alt I guess.

You could push that even further. Why buy her right now when you will most probably get her for free when the loot box dump arrives because of skewed RNG in the backend. You'd be saving money just for a tiny bit of patience.

I expect we'll get the PR hustle on the 70 cap, with a news post later where they slightly increase compensation. The master skin stuff is probably a surprise to them, so I don't know how they'll respond. Beyond that I don't expect a whole lot. It's kind of like interviewing political candidates on the campaign trail. For the most part they are going to want to stick to their talking points.

I think considering the big reaction they got from the peanut gallery when they did the heroes summit they were thinking of doing a victory run on reddit but I don't think they were prepared for those backlashes they got about it. I also think that we won't get any real answers to most questions in there but here's to hoping. At least they are trying right ?

brian!

Give legacy hero level option for display, maybe make it cumulative, and reset all heroes to one? I bet thatd upset a lot of people too. It'd fit the 2.0 theme though

brian!

Yeah id think most ppl would be placated with "but you get tons of free stuff" but there are a decent chunk of otps who might get salty

Alur

You could push that even further. Why buy her right now when you will most probably get her for free when the loot box dump arrives because of skewed RNG in the backend. You'd be saving money just for a tiny bit of patience.

That's true, but you can use gold on her and just grab her skins with loot box stuff once that goes live. I'll get her on one of my accounts because she's very fun. May be the first hero I don't get day 1 on my main account, though, in order to preserve the free stuff.

I think considering the big reaction they got from the peanut gallery when they did the heroes summit they were thinking of doing a victory run on reddit but I don't think they were prepared for those backlashes they got about it. I also think that we won't get any real answers to most questions in there but here's to hoping. At least they are trying right ?

I think after all their time they knew there would be backlash. I mean, this is Blizzard, they literally can't do shit without half the fan base going at the other half over it. I do doubt they'll give us much of substance, but we can hope. As you said, they will at least be there to face the music and we know they are reading reddit and so forth.

Give legacy hero level option for display, maybe make it cumulative, and reset all heroes to one? I bet thatd upset a lot of people too. It'd fit the 2.0 theme though

I saw some people say they'd like a reset. I don't want a reset. I just think like 5-8% compensation is a little disrespectful to your most dedicated players who aren't going to have access to the best parts of the system because they were so dedicated. I don't know a good solution beyond increasing the quality of boxes players receive because they can't give us 500, 600, 700. That'd allow us to unlock most everything and then new releases as well for some time. But it should be something better than it is.

Ketch

That's shitty compensation. It's a very small percentage of the work you put in....

....dedicated players are being hosed

Compensation for what? The work you put in? You're getting hosed? Get outta here with that, you played a video game you enjoy and you're gettting a bunch of free stuff in return. I opened 8 on Ptr and got about $20 worth of stuff. There's no way you're getting hosed.

You're upset because new players will get a lot of stuff easily. And that's not "fair".

They gave 50 bucks! But they also have that guy 50 bucks? This is fucking bullshit!

Alur

Im trying to remember what the loot boxes look like and all i can come up with in my head are segways

They do a bit now that you mention it lol

Compensation for what? The work you put in? You're getting hosed? Get outta here with that, you played a video game you enjoy and you're gettting a bunch of free stuff in return. I opened 8 on Ptr and got about $20 worth of stuff. There's no way you're getting hosed.

You're upset because new players will get a lot of stuff easily. And that's not "fair".

They gave 50 bucks! But they also have that guy 50 bucks? This is fucking bullshit!

LOL, whatever dude. Interpret however you will, clearly you don't understand or don't care, that's your prerogative. I also appreciate being called a moron. Very friendly of you.

kirblar

Every Hero level you get in the new system gets you a loot box.

Early Hero levels are much easier to achieve.

Therefore, if you got most of your heroes to 5+, you are going to miss out on a lot of easy loot boxes. The 500g is sticking around.

Kioshen

That's true, but you can use gold on her and just grab her skins with loot box stuff once that goes live. I'll get her on one of my accounts because she's very fun. May be the first hero I don't get day 1 on my main account, though, in order to preserve the free stuff.

Oh I agree she looks like loads of fun. A stutter stepping AA range assassin with a hook that can duel any other AA because if you apply yourself to stutter stepping you get armor !? Where do I sign up ?

----

I've developed a weird Stockholm syndrome with watching Mewn on twitch but hearing him address that thread about him attending the heroes summit was funny.

Alur

If anyone is wanting to try Cassia in QM on PTR, now appears to be a good time. Queue time is only about 3-5 minutes right now.

brian!

I played like two w/ and against her yesterday without reading her skills, she seemed pretty whatever until she busted out that bouncing shit and i got wrecked

Oh wait, is there gonna be prestiging in 2.0? Thatd solve everything i think, besides ppl whove earned more than the 70 cap i guess

Wait no im thinking too much about overwatch, that doesnt really work if chests are per hero

brian!

Do you not get retroactive loot boxes for previously levelled heroes?

Yeah, the issue for some ppl is that the retroactive boxes they get (which have a capped amount), combined with the snail-like speed that itll take for them to get new boxes due to hero level ends up favoring newer players or players who have a decent amount of low level heroes in their pool (basically if u spread yourself out playing heroes vs. maining gazlowe the latter will get a much better drop oppurtunity for example). It dont mean much to me personally but i can empathize w/ ppl who read the changes and realized that the system "punishes" them compared to other players kind of arbitrarily

Ketch

Interpret however you will, clearly you don't understand or don't care, that's your prerogative. I also appreciate being called a moron. Very friendly of you.

What do I not understand?

You are going to get a lot of free stuff, probably over $50 worth of stuff. Is that not a lot of free stuff? How much free stuff do you think you deserve?

Well, it's not unfair due how much free stuff you're getting. It's unfair because someone else will be able to get free stuff too, they'll probably get more free stuff then you in the long run if they continue to play.

So it's unfair that you're getting a lot of free stuff AND new people will also get a lot of free stuff because you deserve more then new players because you played the video game a lot and they haven't.

Pretty sure that's the situation, correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom