• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrbob said:
Something is off with these numbers.

You add up the Blu Ray titles 2007 sales on the top 25 chart and you get around 210K sold.

You look at the Nielson data and in that time frame (which doesn't even show january sales) shows 510K Blu Ray discs sold.

Someone is wrong by about 300K. :lol

Yeah that's curious

Is that 3D isometric chart based on some dodgy extrapolation at the AVS forums? Or are each of those numbers directly from Nielson?

Argyle said:
Call me when they hit stores - it's a last ditch effort for Toshiba to get their format out there.

Usually the arrival of uber cheap commodity players means the end of profitability on hardware for the other CE companies. Since Toshiba gets royalties on those units (and they are their only competition) I guess they don't really care if they get undercut.

Well LG and Samsung somehow jumped on the HD DVD bandwagon by announcing their hybrid HD/BD players. If those are proven to be successful (i.e. the right price), I can only imagine the other CE companies to follow suit.

Chemo

The Main Event said:
Well LG and Samsung somehow jumped on the HD DVD bandwagon by announcing their hybrid HD/BD players. If those are proven to be successful (i.e. the right price), I can only imagine the other CE companies to follow suit.
It doesn't really make sense to jump on that bandwagon if HD-DVD sales are as far below Blu-Ray as they've been. And from what I can tell, it seems as if Blu-Ray didn't really start gaining momentum until the PS3's release. Obviously the PS3 will never be a hybrid, so if it truly is the most successful next-gen movie format player (as it seems to be), any small ground gained by a couple of hybrids will probably be insignificant anyway.

Klotera

Argyle said:
The DVD Forum exists for one thing - to standardize around the disc format called "DVD".

The DVD Forum is not some international standards organization with an agenda to standardize all optical video disc formats, present and future.

Blu-ray would never have been adopted by the DVD Forum because of the power that Toshiba wields there, given that the DVD format is essentially theirs. Because of that, all the companies working on Blu-ray split off and formed their own alliance of companies to standardize their technology.

By the time HD DVD came into being, the vast majority of the consumer electronics companies were supporting Blu-ray. We were in this situation before DVD came out, there were two optical disc standards competing, one Toshiba's, and the other Sony and Philips. A compromise was reached where Toshiba's format was essentially the one adopted, with some changes to accomodate Sony and Philips.

Similar compromise meetings happened before either next-gen disc format happened but this time, MS and Toshiba decided to go their own way. Probably because MS has more to lose with BD in the PS3 and Java as the interactivity layer for BD...even though the BDA adopted VC-1 to try to get MS into their camp.

Don't believe me? Ask yourself why the essentially the only consumer electronics company making HD DVD drives is Toshiba...there are a lot more options if you wanted to pick up a Blu-ray player.

The DVD Forum is the only industry-wide standard around. It is a logical step to continue with this organization going forward. Why was the DVD Forum having a next-gen format vote if it only existed to standardize DVD? Without it or another similar standards organization - there was nothing else to happen but a format war.

There's really one real reason that studios and manufacturers jumped over to blu-ray over the one chosen by the DVD Forum: Playstation 3. The PS3 essentially guaranteed market penetration. Without the prospect of the PS3, would all of these companies and studios have jumped on board Blu-Ray?

And you're exaggerating by quite a bit by saying there are "a lot" more options for buying a blu-ray player. There are few options, period, for either format right now when it comes to players.

My point still stands. Why is it so easy to now say it's "right" for HD-DVD camp to give in - when the point could have been made the opposite way when HD-DVD was winning? The only thing that defines "right" or "wrong" in that statement is what format the person writing it supports.

Chemo said:
It doesn't really make sense to jump on that bandwagon if HD-DVD sales are as far below Blu-Ray as they've been. And from what I can tell, it seems as if Blu-Ray didn't really start gaining momentum until the PS3's release. Obviously the PS3 will never be a hybrid, so if it truly is the most successful next-gen movie format player (as it seems to be), any small ground gained by a couple of hybrids will probably be insignificant anyway.

As a BD hardware manufacturer, I think it does make sense that some companies try out a hybrid player since, as you mentioned, the PS3 is the most successful, the cheapest, and probably the best BD player on the market. That leaves CE companies having a hard time competing against it.

On the HD DVD side, you've got a wide open market right now, with Toshiba being the only major HD DVD hardware maker. For an exclusive BD manufacturer, it can use that advantage to differentiate itself from the competition (PS3 and Toshiba's HD player), by providing a player that is completely universal to lure more sales.

HD DVD might be trailing a little bit behind BD right now, but both formats are gaining momentum. Samsung sees that, hence their format neutrality. And both formats have been only on the market for less than a year now, their 100 000+ sales per movies won't happen overnight.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The Main Event said:
On the HD DVD side, you've got a wide open market right now, with Toshiba being the only major HD DVD hardware maker. For an exclusive BD manufacturer, it can use that advantage to differentiate itself from the competition (PS3 and Toshiba's HD player), by providing a player that is completely universal to lure more sales.

As a BD hardware manufacturer, I think it does make sense that some companies try out a hybrid player since, as you mentioned, the PS3 is the most successful, the cheapest, and probably the best BD player on the market. That leaves CE companies having a hard time competing against it.

The same could be applied about the cheap 360 HD-DVD addon.

The Main Event said:
HD DVD might be trailing a little bit behind BD right now, but both formats are gaining momentum. Samsung sees that, hence their format neutrality. And both formats have been only on the market for less than a year now, their 100 000+ sales per movies won't happen overnight.

:lol :lol :lol

Raistlin

Klotera said:
The DVD Forum is the only industry-wide standard around. It is a logical step to continue with this organization going forward. Why was the DVD Forum having a next-gen format vote if it only existed to standardize DVD? Without it or another similar standards organization - there was nothing else to happen but a format war.

1) The DVD Forum is not the only industry-wide standard forum around.

2) It is not logical for them to take control of HD. The DVD Forum steering committee is made up of the companies that created DVD, along with some strong studios and some 'political' appointees, etc. While there are many companies that are in this steering committee that are also in the BDA Board of Directors and/or HD DVD's steering committee (can't recall what they call themselves), it is not all the same members.

Why would the members of BDA and/or HD DVD want to cede power to companies that are either not directly involved in their HD format, or worse yet, involved in the competing format? Obviously a new group has to be created.

3) That next gen vote you speak of was not for control of the format. It was a PR move to give a 'blessing' since DVD was the reigning media format. It didn't really mean anything in the sense of format control.

There's really one real reason that studios and manufacturers jumped over to blu-ray over the one chosen by the DVD Forum: Playstation 3. The PS3 essentially guaranteed market penetration. Without the prospect of the PS3, would all of these companies and studios have jumped on board Blu-Ray?

I'd have to look at the timeline. However, I'm pretty sure most were on board well before BluRay was known to be in PS3. You have to understand, the initial BD spec was around before AOD.

There was far more involved than simply PS3, such as the fact it's the better technology.

And you're exaggerating by quite a bit by saying there are "a lot" more options for buying a blu-ray player. There are few options, period, for either format right now when it comes to players.

That's a pretty myopic view. Anyone considering HW support as a decision maker is going to look at announced models, as well as the list of CE support. Look at either, BluRay obviously has far better support, especially by the companies known for strong HW.

My point still stands. Why is it so easy to now say it's "right" for HD-DVD camp to give in - when the point could have been made the opposite way when HD-DVD was winning? The only thing that defines "right" or "wrong" in that statement is what format the person writing it supports.

Because people trying to make logical decisions on such matter tend to wait until the competing format has actually launched with more than one player, and has a decent amount of content released?

Should VHS have conceded to Betamax since Beta was launched first and thus had the early lead?

These decisions are based on looking at momentum once the competing formats are on a relatively equal footing. Your theory is basically that the first format out should automatically win, and the other should not even bother.

djkimothy

Not really related to the format wars, but FastMac has a slim Bluray disc drive for Apple laptops.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2640

A new drive swap offered by FastMac is giving hope to Mac owners riding the cutting edge of movie editing and playback, but is leaving many others wondering why Apple hasn't been willing to help of its own accord.

On Friday, FastMac began offering a slim Blu-Ray drive designed to fit inside several of Apple's most popular desktops and notebooks of the past several years, reaching back as far as the venerable "Pismo" PowerBook G3 -- though ironically blocking MacBooks and 15-inch MacBook Pros due to their extra-thin cases.

Labeled as the first upgrade of its kind for any of Apple's portables, the swap-in drive gave the eligible Macs not just a chance to play high-definition movies but to burn 50GB dual-layer Blu-Ray discs and boot from a Mac OS X CD or DVD.

Klotera

Onix said:
Because people trying to make logical decisions on such matter tend to wait until the competing format has actually launched with more than one player, and has a decent amount of content released?

Should VHS have conceded to Betamax since Beta was launched first and thus had the early lead?

These decisions are based on looking at momentum once the competing formats are on a relatively equal footing. Your theory is basically that the first format out should automatically win, and the other should not even bother.

I never said that Blu-ray should quit competing - it was others that said HD-DVD should. I was simply arguing against that point, not for the opposite. That's my whole point - it's entirely greedy to make such a statement. I could turn your point back around and say shouldn't we wait for the competing format to bring out the cheaper hardware they're promising before throwing in the towel? Why do Blu-ray justifications only work one way?

Avoiding a format war only does any good before it starts. After its already started, it might as well go all the way so it can help drive down prices for consumers (I'm one to argue that the price war that may follow will do just as much to stimulate next-gen adoption and the early goings of the war as stalling it).

djkimothy

cjdunn said:
$800. Nice to have but it's a third of the price of a new Macbook Pro.

Hopefully, Apple will have an OEM deal later this year. Given the costs, it may be until January (MacWorld San Francisco) 2008 before Blu-Ray drives become an option. :(

Yah, it is quite expensive. But you can get cheaper external drives from OWC. But I think this was just the first user upgrade for a slim profile.

Despite the expense, would it be possible to watch blu-ray movies with this upgrade with an old G4? Or is that not enough computing power to decode the film?

Argyle

Klotera said:
I never said that Blu-ray should quit competing - it was others that said HD-DVD should. I was simply arguing against that point, not for the opposite. That's my whole point - it's entirely greedy to make such a statement. I could turn your point back around and say shouldn't we wait for the competing format to bring out the cheaper hardware they're promising before throwing in the towel? Why do Blu-ray justifications only work one way?

Avoiding a format war only does any good before it starts. After its already started, it might as well go all the way so it can help drive down prices for consumers (I'm one to argue that the price war that may follow will do just as much to stimulate next-gen adoption and the early goings of the war as stalling it).

I don't know if you read my post carefully, but my point was that HD DVD should have reached a compromise where they would have thrown in the towel but been included in the Blu-ray patent pool before either format launched. Those negotiations took place in 2005 if I remember correctly. I remember that for one day during those talks the news had leaked out that a compromise had been reached, then the next day it was announced that the talks had stalled.

To be honest though I wouldn't mind if they threw in the towel now - they're doing the consumers more harm than good at this point IMHO. There's plenty of room for competition within a camp to drive prices lower, especially since volumes would increase because people wouldn't be afraid of backing the wrong horse.

bdmoviesnj0.jpg

Check out this dude's collection. Look at the far right titles. :D

Ponn

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
Looks like burned HD broadcasts onto Blu-ray discs.

Why are you all saying this? Those movies are out on Blu-ray. I would be more worried about the person buying shitty HD movies like Vertical Limit and XXX.

Ponn01 said:
Why are you all saying this? Those movies are out on Blu-ray. I would be more worried about the person buying shitty HD movies like Vertical Limit and XXX.

Dude, trust me, if Star Wars was avaiable on Blu-ray right now, I would murder you and your family to get to the discs - no offence. :lol

Ponn

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
Dude, trust me, if Star Wars was avaiable on Blu-ray right now, I would murder you and your family to get to the discs - no offence. :lol

Where do you see Star Wars?

Ahh. sorry didnt scroll. The guy probably did it as a prank and used a dvd cover and slipped it in a blu ray case.

Darko said:
whoa...

edit: its 306 when i added it

"
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player- Toshiba
Seller's Price:$306.88
- quantity: 1
Shipped from: Electronics.."

That's from some "other" vendor. You can choose Amazon from the right side. Not that there's anything wrong with the other company. I just wanted to use Amazon so somebody didn't say "Well WTF is that?"

Andy787

Banned
I don't know why anyone would buy an HD-DVD player today, regardless of the iHD features and the early lead in A/V.

What good is a player going to do you, if it doesn't have, nor will it have, a very large portion of the entire catalog of the motion picture industry? Isn't content king? Shouldn't it be?

PS, why do you always have to inflate your expectations for anything competing with Sony (even though Blu-Ray is not just Sony), sonycowboy? False modesty is unbecoming of you. ;p

Raistlin

DarkJediKnight said:
The XA2. Yes, but not as good as the XA2. The new Samsung Blu-ray player uses the same scaling chip as the XA2.

Wait ... what!?!?!

The XA2's scaling isn't as good as the XA2's scaling?!?!? :lol

Help me here!! :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Onix said:
Wait ... what!?!?!

The XA2's scaling isn't as good as the XA2's scaling?!?!? :lol

Help me here!! :p

He was answering your questions in order. The XA2 is the best model. That model scales, but not as good as the XA2.

MaX_PL

Banned
wow that price plus the 5 free HD DVD movies is very tempting; i would get it asap if i wasnt in a money slump right now.

JB1981

Say you own a PS3, 360 (elite), cable/satellite box, an upscaling dvd player and/or a HD-DVD/Blu-ray standalone, and you want to keep everything in the digital domain, you're basically forced to buy a home theater receiver with 3 HDMI inputs. And they all cost like $1499 right now. That sucks. TVs need to have more than 3 HDMI these days. Analog devices aren't going to cut it anymore.

Raistlin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
:lol

The XA2 is the best model.

The model you pointed to is NOT as good as the XA2--not it is also NOT the XA2.

:lol

I didn't point to any model.

I asked what model is the best HD-DVD player, and if that one also happens to be the best at DVD upscaling?

ie. Is the single model that is best at playing HD-DVD's, also at the same time best (or equal) at upconverting DVDs?

Anyone know if the transfer on the 4 disc Blu-ray release of Planet Earth is going to be the same as the HD-DVD one or if they would take advantage of the 50GB discs with a better transfer?
I just ordered the set off of Amazon.ca yesterday (almost $90 CDN after tax :/), and am looking for a real showcase (though I am only using 1080i at the moment). :p

quest

Not Banned from OT
sonycowboy said:
HD-DVD is not ****ing around.

This week, along with the price drop to $399 (for the low end model), they're including five free movies. ANY FIVE HD-DVD MOVIES. AND AMAZON IS SELLING THE PLAYER FOR $314.99.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000IJV4BC/

I think we're going to see some continued traction by HD-DVD in the weekly rankings.

Getting closer to my mark of 249.99 first one to get a stand alone player to that price gets my business. That way I can keep it under 500 bucks for 2 players one for the living room and one for the bedroom. That way I won't have to buy movies 2x once regular dvd for the bedroom and hd for the living room. I will probably buy a 3rd player when they get under 150.

Alcibiades

_leech_ said:
actually, they are only 1 movie away from your prediction of 10 free movies...

people have been using the $399 HD DVD Player + 4 free movies promotions at Best Buy and Circuit City, then plan to use the mail-in rebate for 5 more movies from Toshiba. That's 9 free movies. If prices continue to drop on amazon.com, I'll probably end up getting one of the high-end players this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom