• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They don't but in the game it is explained that those two tribes don't have a good history at all so a Carja outfit can be like wearing gang colors in hostile territory. It is me being weird.

I see… because in the first there was the suit that you needed to enter sundown and thought perhaps they expanded on that… thanks.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Same. Used the same Purple outfit for pretty much my entire game. It doubled my stamina and increased my valor build up. There is only one other armor that does that and it only gives stamina increase on the very last upgrade. It also makes me look like a nurse practitioner.

I LOVE the look of the Legendary Osaram Armor you get for finishing all the Salvage Contracts but it is melee focused.
Since i'm using melee a lot i'm kinda forced to wear oseram armours and they all look like crap, good to know that there is a good looking one, oseram side characters all have cool armours...

The one i'm using now with the padded arms and ugly hat make me look like a teddy bear...

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
First one I saw was in the desert tribe. You basically need to do the Death Door mission and then you will get three story missions you can tackle in any order. Each mission will take you to camps that sell purple weapons. Some might have part requirements that might need you to progress through the story. Some of the machines dont spawn until you encounter them in the story.

Just do the missions if you are at their recommend level. Dont put them off.

I just got to the west coast to grab the last sub function

What builds / gear / perks / valor do you recommend? I’m lvl 30, so just a tad beyond the recommended story level

GymWolf

Gold Member

What builds / gear / perks / valor do you recommend? I’m lvl 30, so just a tad beyond the recommended story level
Isn't it better to come up with a build on your own?

Btw like i said multiple times, i'm using a melee build with an oseram armour with a perk that speed up the resonator charge so it's basically on every 20-30 sec, and the second valor surge in the melee skill that make you deal like 300% more melee damage and also every R2 attack leaves a resonator charge on the enemy so you can put like 3-4 of them on a big dino for massive damage.

Recently i started to use the valor skill that does an aoe attack with the spear (the one they showed in the first gameplay video), at level 3 it does 1200 damage, it oneshot small dinobot and all humans on very hard, and it almost kill medium sized dinobot.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I'd highly recommend the Chain Reaction Valor in the Machine Override skill tree. It will help a lot when taking out multiple enemies.

The Melee Skill tree's Critical Hit valor is excellent for bosses and solo enemies. Especially when you are hunting for parts.

The Stealth Skill tree for some reason has all Precision/Sharpshot bow Weapon Techniques and Damage boosts. Get the Braceshot from there. You dont have to worry about the Valor Surge in that skill tree unless you are really into stealth.

I think Thornmash is the one where I bought my Sharpshot bow. They sell two. I bought the one that has Advanced Precision Arrows since they do more damage, but the Glowblast one is very helpful since it comes with Tearblast arrows that help remove components you need for upgrades, but if you can only buy one, id recommend you get the one with Advanced Arrows.

Equip some Draw Speed, Reload Speed or Critical Hit rate perks on your weapons to improve them. I dont like how the handling perk is split into two now, but Reload and Draw Speed perks really help if you are taking too long to overdraw. Your damage will come from Weapon Techniques and Valor surges so dont bother with DPS mods for now.

In Thornmash or one of those coastal area camps should have the legendary instant freeze/burn/acid coils that only cost 500 scrap. Just buy them and stick them in your Purple slingshot/grenade launcher. I use that to apply elemental effects since 2 shots is typically enough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Started this today finally and I'm very happy at the customization options for game play and controls this game offers, or most Sony first party games offer in general.

Fuck needing to click R3 for Focus, that goes to L1 and weapon wheel goes to RT with a toggle instead of hold so that's no headache.

Motion blur goes to low and all kinds of screen shakes go off because nope, auto sprint on.

Game looks pretty good on the Pro, but IQ feels worse than H: ZD, understandable since it's a lower resolution and still reconstruction. But it's very acceptable for a PS4 game in 2022.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Hero lighting is bugged on the left entrance of the base. It kicks in during day time right as you enter, but only at certain angles. It looks incredible.

FMqpGBNWYAQzZFk

Fucking Alex. This man has singlehandedly ruined the most impressive PS5 visual feature. I will never forgive DF for this.

We need this in EVERY game going forward. It is a brilliant use of the extra hardware resources. You would think tech sites would be in favor of this at least as an option.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Hero lighting is bugged on the left entrance of the base. It kicks in during day time right as you enter, but only at certain angles. It looks incredible.

FMqpGBNWYAQzZFk

Fucking Alex. This man has singlehandedly ruined the most impressive PS5 visual feature. I will never forgive DF for this.

We need this in EVERY game going forward. It is a brilliant use of the extra hardware resources. You would think tech sites would be in favor of this at least as an option.

The hero lighting makes the characters look like CG

It’s stunning

Corndog

Banned
I wish I could rate Valhalla as high as you did. I wish it was even 50% as good as HFW is. Had to quit the game after 15 hours. On the other hand, HFW has become one of my all-time favorite games.

I'll probably jump into ACV again after a few months -- otherwise it's just wasted $23 lol -- but I found it so boring. HFW has so much more going on at a much higher quality rate: animation, visuals, story quality, side quest quality, characters, distinct tribe culture, combat, side activities, etc.
I like long games but a bit too much grind in Valhalla.

Corndog

Banned
lol I did three cauldrons back to back last night and the tediousness bored me to death. They were never my favorite part of the first game, but here its mostly just busy work. Really dont care for the new pullcaster puzzles. They are not fun or clever. Just tedious.

This so much. Flying was the IT factor for me. It makes the game feel new and fresh, and exciting in ways none of the other new additions did. It's a shame they kept it for so late, the entire game shouldve been designed around it. Who cares if we explore the whole game on land or air? All the action is on the ground anyway so You will eventually have to land.

Yep. I think they shouldve focused on build variety instead of simply variety. I think Witcher 3 did a great job tying your build and play style to armor sets and weapon customizations. There is some of that here, but they dont really let you customize anything. It's weird but I think they were afraid that Weapon techniques and Valor Surges would break the game, and I think they kind do around 30-40 hours in, but the game shouldve been designed around them. Mass Effect Andromeda has this great system where abilities have cooldowns, but they also compliment each other and reduce or refresh the cooldowns. I dont know why I cant make a Weapon Technique/Valor surge build or a shooter only build if I dont really care to use L2+R1 skills every time I want to kill something.

They had five years to figure out these systems, and they released something that feels half baked in terms of role playing.
I hated weapon progression in the first game. Sounds like they are just not good at that aspect of making games. Or are afraid to change things.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'd highly recommend the Chain Reaction Valor in the Machine Override skill tree. It will help a lot when taking out multiple enemies.

The Melee Skill tree's Critical Hit valor is excellent for bosses and solo enemies. Especially when you are hunting for parts.

The Stealth Skill tree for some reason has all Precision/Sharpshot bow Weapon Techniques and Damage boosts. Get the Braceshot from there. You dont have to worry about the Valor Surge in that skill tree unless you are really into stealth.

I think Thornmash is the one where I bought my Sharpshot bow. They sell two. I bought the one that has Advanced Precision Arrows since they do more damage, but the Glowblast one is very helpful since it comes with Tearblast arrows that help remove components you need for upgrades, but if you can only buy one, id recommend you get the one with Advanced Arrows.

Equip some Draw Speed, Reload Speed or Critical Hit rate perks on your weapons to improve them. I dont like how the handling perk is split into two now, but Reload and Draw Speed perks really help if you are taking too long to overdraw. Your damage will come from Weapon Techniques and Valor surges so dont bother with DPS mods for now.

In Thornmash or one of those coastal area camps should have the legendary instant freeze/burn/acid coils that only cost 500 scrap. Just buy them and stick them in your Purple slingshot/grenade launcher. I use that to apply elemental effects since 2 shots is typically enough.

Should I turn easy loot on? Sometimes it's just kind of annoying having to go after that one thing that's ridiculous to position yourself well in (tails, small horns, etc)

Dr Bass

Since i'm using melee a lot i'm kinda forced to wear oseram armours and they all look like crap, good to know that there is a good looking one, oseram side characters all have cool armours...

The one i'm using now with the padded arms and ugly hat make me look like a teddy bear...
Turn off the hats! At least thats what I do. I think they all look silly.

SlimySnake

Should I turn easy loot on? Sometimes it's just kind of annoying having to go after that one thing that's ridiculous to position yourself well in (tails, small horns, etc)
I waited until just before the final mission but if you've hit level 30 already, there is really no shame in turning it on. It will definitely make fights much more engaging.

Just be careful not to blow up fuel sacs on bellowbacks, frost and fireclaws, and crocs because any resources they contain will be destroyed.

SlimySnake

I hated weapon progression in the first game. Sounds like they are just not good at that aspect of making games. Or are afraid to change things.
I think they changed too much. I just spent the last two hours defeating Thunderjaws, fire claws and tremortusks over and over again just to level up my legendary weapon. I didnt care for the RNG aspect of the loot in the first game, but the DLC awarded you the best coils in the game without any RNG.

It's just too much busy work. Who cares if you dont have to kill the thunderjaw 20 times to get the best coil like you did in the first game when you still have to kill 20 of the hardest enemies to level them up?

That said, I think it's a shockingly safe sequel. I dont agree with the Edge review score, but they are right about how few surprises they had in store for us. Story had lots sure, but gameplay wise, it's basically the same as the first game. Just bigger and longer. I think the PS4 held them back here. Flying is great but its very slow and you cant shoot from it. There are some missions where you think omg, lets do this but nope its just a cutscene where all the cool shit happens. This is where next gen is so important because devs will finally have to leave their comfort zone, and really go out there and start implementing new features that also end up taking the player out of their comfort zone. Is GG talented enough to do that? I dont know tbh. They definitely need new blood when it comes to game design. Hire someone from Japan because clearly the western talent they have assembled is lacking.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Some pro tips i wish i had known when i started playing:

- The Arena vendor has the best sharpshot bow in the game. You can get it for just 54 hunting medals if you did some hunting grounds missions. It comes with critical hit rate, overdraw and draw speed perks built in.

- You Don’t need to finish all the arena missions under the time limit. As long as you complete them, the next one will open. The last mission in each arena is the hardest since they force random loadouts on you but just finish it and move on to the next tier which will award far more medals for far easier challenges. The last tier has some of the easiest battles and they give your 50 medals for each challenge.

- In lands fall, there is a free purple weapon in one of the boats docked at the beach.

- when hunting apex hearts, pass time at rest areas until night time. Apex versions of enemies will always spawn at night though sometimes they can also spawn during the day.

- turn on easy loot when hunting these parts to guarantee apex hearts. Otherwise they have a 50% drop rate.

- Equip the nurse armor you get from the Tomb mission when fighting fireclaws since it provides excellent fire resistance.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Turn off the hats! At least thats what I do. I think they all look silly.
Some hats are pretty cool , like the one with demon horns.

Onestly the armour is so fucking horrible that the hat is just shitting on the cake, even without it i still look silly as hell, first game in my life where i want transmog...and i was sporting the super gay kirin armour in mhw ffs.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The giant snake machine is easily one of the most badass enemy designs ever in a game. ive been taking photos of this thing for 30 minutes

GymWolf

Gold Member
Horizon fans who loved the sidecharacters in the first game better complete the dino kart races, you get 2 surprises at the end, one of them is a legendary bow, and it's not even the best surprise...

If a shit driving game player like me can finish those races in 2-3 tries, everyone can.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Horizon fans who loved the sidecharacters in the first game better complete the dino kart races, you get 2 surprises at the end, one of them is a legendary bow, and it's not even the best surprise...

If a shit driving game player like me can finish those races in 2-3 tries, everyone can.
ive only encountered one race in the desert with Chargers, theres other machine races? or are you talking about the Charger (horse) races?

EekTheKat

I can't shake the feeling that the Forbidden West story is structured like
a BioWare game from their golden age - ME2 era. From how the "friends" are introduced to how a lot of Aloy's friends remind me of companions from that era of RPG/storytelling. Quests/areas are basically mini-arcs that fit in the overall main story arc. Forbidden West feels sort of like it's carrying the torch from that era of storytelling in games.

Thoroughly enjoying my run so far though, it's been wonderful seeing how GG is fleshing out the world they built. It's been an overall much more polished effort on all fronts from the first game.

Last edited:
Some hats are pretty cool , like the one with demon horns.

Onestly the armour is so fucking horrible that the hat is just shitting on the cake, even without it i still look silly as hell, first game in my life where i want transmog...and i was sporting the super gay kirin armour in mhw ffs.

The armor you get with the deluxe version looks pretty good IMO. Do you not get a better version of that armor later in the game?

So I think this is more of a limitation in the Dual Sense controller than any fault with the game but the R2 trigger resistance doesn’t really engage when shooting arrows, does it? If you press down rapidly, I just feel a slight rumble, almost no resistance. With a slow press, I can feel it engage but who presses it slow like that?

I can't shake the feeling that the Forbidden West story is structured like
a BioWare game from their golden age - ME2 era. From how the "friends" are introduced to how a lot of Aloy's friends remind me of companions from that era of RPG/storytelling. Quests/areas are basically mini-arcs that fit in the overall main story arc. Forbidden West feels sort of like it's carrying the torch from that era of storytelling in games.

Thoroughly enjoying my run so far though, it's been wonderful seeing how GG is fleshing out the world they built. It's been an overall much more polished effort on all fronts from the first game.

I thought the same thing too. It is extremely like that game in many ways. You can definitely feel the influence of that game.

But not in a bad way or anything. Its not like many other games have been able to reproduce the magic. Even current/new bioware sucks at it now.

Though I do wish they could move past "two people just standing and talking together" as a way to do exposition. I know there is not many good alternatives to doing this. At least not in a cost efficient way. And perhaps the writers went a little too overboard with all the dialogue options. And the game play people were like, we dont have a cost efficient way to have all this dialogue besides jus having them stand and talk.

At least it was fully voiced. And had decent voice talent. A lot of games still don't even do that and still have text only conversation with lesser npcs.

I did LOVE the LONG conversion you can have with Tilda about art in her gallery though!

That was one of the biggest highlights of the game for me.

And I was very disappointed by her heel turn at the end. Because it seemed so out of character.

The conversation with her about art, made me believe she was an extremely smart, thoughtful, and contemplative person. The she does this stupid heel turn at the end of the game that makes absolutely no sense.

Its still at least a 9/10 game for me. But boy that ending annoyed me!

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I finished it. No legendary weapons. Time to explore and craft in prep for the inevitable DLC.

Flying around and just taking in the sights, landing for quick jobs or to fuck with rebels, is so fun. Thankfully I have a ton of side quests to go back to - I skipped so many.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Yeah but you can't spam them, one hit and you need to recover stamina (maybe on very hard you have less stamina, i don't know)

I use it as a battle opener from stealth to do big damage.

With a bow with bonus stealth and overdraw damage and a +25% stealth damage recoil it straight murders stuff on normal. I've taken half of the health off the t-rex things in one shot

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Tried a purple boltblaster for the first time yesterday, this things rules, holy shit (not my footage)

The skills for the weapons basically transform the weapon into a shotgun or gatling gun.
Dude, thats nothing. This video shows just how quickly you can melt the biggest enemies in the game with the legendary boltblaster even on the hardest difficulty.

I used it to debuff fireclaws with ice arrows. The weapon technique he uses shoots off like a 100 bolts. It's insane. And despite that they are still left with 75% of their health lol They are still the hardest enemy in the game, and GG gave them even more fire attacks. I was dominating Tremortusks and even non-Apex Thunderjaws with my crit build, killing them in 30 seconds, and Fireclaws wrecked my shit up. What an incredibly imposing enemy. Just a nightmare. Love it.

SlimySnake

BTW, I switched to 60 fps mode to mop up the upgrade parts and the Arena medals and holy crap, the game looks like 720p at times. I went into thornmarsh and it was like someone smeared vaseline all over my screen. I couldnt make out any details. I thought the issue was limited to foliage, but nope, it really affects the ingame rendering. VRS needs to go. I have never seen image quality this bad on any console and bought an xbox one at launch.

Whats weird is that it's fine other times. Even when flying and when the draw distance is massive. San Fran is full of foliage but it looks great. Like I would expect 1800p cb games to look. I wouldnt be surprised if their vrs solution is glitching somehow.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude, thats nothing. This video shows just how quickly you can melt the biggest enemies in the game with the legendary boltblaster even on the hardest difficulty.

I used it to debuff fireclaws with ice arrows. The weapon technique he uses shoots off like a 100 bolts. It's insane. And despite that they are still left with 75% of their health lol They are still the hardest enemy in the game, and GG gave them even more fire attacks. I was dominating Tremortusks and even non-Apex Thunderjaws with my crit build, killing them in 30 seconds, and Fireclaws wrecked my shit up. What an incredibly imposing enemy. Just a nightmare. Love it.

Not sure about that, i already fought 2 fireclaw and i think that the snapshell is way more annoying, and i still have to fight a rockbreaker...

Melee is available against the fireclaw but basically useless against the turtle, thats probably why.

SlimySnake

With a bow with bonus stealth and overdraw damage and a +25% stealth damage recoil it straight murders stuff on normal. I've taken half of the health off the t-rex things in one shot
Interesting. I never use stealth or long range damage coils. The Trex is too fast and finds me right away. I mostly just stick to the critical chance builds.

This is me against a rockbreaker. Braceshot + crit damage + burning bonus = 1700 damage lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

Can someone tell me how the Melee Might works ?

is it a consumable ? or a timed thing that can be reused as many times ?

adamsapple

Melee might?? Sorry i have the game with italian subs so the name of things is different.

What do you mean?

It's the name of the second skill in the Warrior path that you need to unlock surrounding notes to get.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's the name of the second skill in the Warrior path that you need to unlock surrounding notes to get.
Warrior is the melee tree right??

Well it is the one i'm using now with my melee build, it vastly increase the damage of the spear and let you spam resonator charges on enemies, at least on level 3.

It works like the other valor surges, you need to fill the purple bar to use it.

adamsapple

Warrior is the melee tree right??

Well it is the one i'm using now with my melee build, it vastly increase the damage of the spear and let you spam resonator charges on enemies, at least on level 3.

It works like the other valor surges, you need to fill the purple bar to use it.
Thanks!

-

Man, the climbing in this game is janky as fuck, so many little animation hitches and niggles navigating.

Top Bottom