• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Not sure if the create a job system helped me here or not but it feels like it:

I ran out of space for modifications and needed 2 fox bones to upgrade my storage. Killed a bunch of foxes but they didn't drop any. Created a job for it and the first two foxes I killed after dropped the materials.

Pretty cool if it works like that.

That is. You can create jobs to get materials you need.

Thanks for reminding me that I can do that too.

Ravagers ain't no joke!!!! Ran into two while doing the hunter club side quest

the tinker skill is so damn useful, the first branch i recommend completing the asap.

CHC

So the longlegs are probably my most absolutely hated robots in this game. They have WAY more HP than their size would lead you to believe, they throw themselves at you in a completely mad and unpredictable way, and they just will not fuck the hell off if you get anywhere near a herd of them, no matter how badly you don't want to fight.

Just to satiate you a little the game doesn't look like that on your TV. It's not that smooth (it's running just slightly below 30FPS - certainly not 60FPS like in that gif) and doesnt have borders.

Like, those gifs are great fun - but they're not representative of what you'll see on your TV during gameplay.

The game runs at a pretty damn smooth 30 FPS, and anyway that gif is sub-30, 24 or 25 FPS most likely.

The game looks just like that, except of course without the letterboxing.

At that size, it wouldn't matter if it was recorded on Pro or regular PS4, the lighting, foliage, and effects are the same either way.

Edit: 30 not 60 FPS

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is this with aim assist? Sometimes I can't even hit canisters while they're pinned down.
Yeah, based on what I see the aim assists only helps if you fully draw the bow. If you just tap R2 the arrows don't go where the center of the reticule is.

So the longlegs are probably my most absolutely hated robots in this game. They have WAY more HP than their size would lead you to believe, they throw themselves at you in a completely mad and unpredictable way, and they just will not fuck the hell off if you get anywhere near a herd of them, no matter how badly you don't want to fight.
The crazy legs bastards are great! The way they protect the herd even against critters by yelling at them is glorious.

teokrazia

Played about three hours: I'm having a great experience so far. I had no expectations about the lore and the characters, even Aloy herself, but they seem surprisingly good.

This is very subjective but I actually prefer playing this using the artificial motion smoothing on my TV rather than 'Game' mode. I know game mode strips all processing features to improve image lag but motion - especially when camera panning - is massively improved using the smooth motion option.

I know this could make the picture suffer from the soap opera effect but maybe I'm not susceptible to it because the smoother motion makes a massive difference to me compared to game mode where the picture looked more juddery to me.

I agree. I am using Vivid setting on my Hisense 4k HDR 55" with the 120hz on and it is bliss. I don't really notice any input lag or IQ degradation.

__

Also - does anyone know how this game is doing or projected to do saleswise? I'm gonna be almost as depressed as I was about the Super Bowl of this doesn't sell well.

Anarion07

Sooo about the Tallnecks.
Lots of people said they were like towers in AC etc. But what do I really gain from overriding them? Haven't noticed. I mean I got the collectibles via the bought maps

Renmyra

Yeah, based on what I see the aim assists only helps if you fully draw the bow. If you just tap R2 the arrows don't go where the center of the reticule is.

Very Hard doesn't allow aim assist. Pain in the ass sometimes. I haven't played a shooter on consoles since RE4.

CHC

Lots of people said they were like towers in AC etc. But what do I really gain from overriding them? Haven't noticed. I mean I got the collectibles via the bought maps

Defogs the map and pretty much adds all the icons in the area (campfires, herds, etc).

They are basically communication hubs for the machines and unveil positions of enemies.
At least thats what I thought.

Google

The game runs at a pretty damn smooth 60 FPS

It doesnt. Nowhere close. The target GG are going for is 30FPS and they get very close to that on average.

Eurogame did the analysis and you can read for yourself: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

Regardless, my point was not to pick holes at the frame rate (it's great and plays fine) but to state that some of the gifs are not fully representative of how the game looks on a TV.

Ethelwulf

Wierd that machine hearts can be used to buy new outfit yet their description only says is valuable for merchants... Are they good for anything else? What a game btw.

hbkdx12

You get to see the actual pathing and layout of the world. It also lets you know where specific sites are for the various machine types. It helps to know if where you need to go is on the other side of behemoth territory.

drotahorror

Do I need to keep Slagshine glass and Desert Glass? It's some stuff found off bandits. It says they can be used in trading with merchants but I've never found a use for them.

I'm wanting to just sell them, I have hundreds.

benny_a

Totally meant to say 30, but I do stick to saying it is pretty damn consistent.
I don't have a measuring device, but if this is considered running below 30 FPS then I must be even more frame-rate insensitive than I previously believed. It feels absolutely rock solid.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I love "disarming" Thunderjaws and Ravagers and turning their weapons against them. That combined with the enhanced concentrate fucks everything up! It's such a good feeling to fight them on a near equal footing and not have to incessantly hide. I wish there was something similar with the Stormbird, he's easily the biggest pain in the ass because there's no Sniper Rifle or Rail Gun to turn against it and he's aerial. Disappointed there's no gorilla in the game.

Still this is a tremendous first effort from Guerrilla. Hopefully they'll introduce more firearms in the next game and have melee combat akin to Bloodborne.

mike6467

I think I'm shelving this and postponing any Zelda purchases for like 6 months.

God damn I'm sick of wandering around open worlds. I know this game is brilliant by everything going on, but I'm just exhausted on this gameplay. I played The Witcher 3 for over 200 hours, and knew I was pushing it with Watch Dogs 2. I just about dropped this immediately when I saw the first
"use your focus to follow the trail."
mechanic show up.

The reviews swayed me though, and I don't regret giving them my money. I just think I'm going to go back to Yakuza, then play P5 when it comes out. Hopefully after that I'll be in a place to appreciate everything that this game has to offer.

All that said, I had this question last night but it got stuck at the bottom of the page...what does the "Handling" stat actually affect?

Google

I don't have a measuring device, but if this is considered running below 30 FPS then I must be even more frame-rate insensitive than I previously believed. It feels absolutely rock solid.

It's pretty rock solid. Like it's not dropping from 40 to 20 or anything like that. It's hovering around 27-32 at all times. It's really well done and I've got no issues with it.

Ulong

When exactly should I be using Harvest arrows versus the arrow that explodes after a second knocking components off? At first I had assumed Harvest would be better at individual components but the sticky arrow would be better aoe Splashing several. But as it turns out, even when you only want to remove one component the sticky arrow seems to be much more efficient at it. Am I missing something?

Also I can't access my game right now to double check the actual name of those sticky arrows sorry.

Well, I really enjoyed the game for the two days it had until BOTW came out. Really hope this doesn't fall by the wayside completely.

On hard mode. 11 hours in. Still haven't left the larger Nora region yet. God damn, this game is incredible. Really looking forward to getting my hands on some new weapons.

So, I wanted to have a discussion about something I found FASCINATING about the Nora & beginning part of the game. Minor early-game spoilers:

So, after Aloy is brought to her 'mother'/All-Goddess in the heart of the mountain, I had an epiphany as to both the commentary I felt the writer was trying to make, as well as it answering a question I was having about the Nora up to this (very) early part of the game. The Nora are a matriarchal tribe, and a part of me was wondering why so much of their culture was steeped in maternal hierarchy or why women were given such a high status in their society. It just felt very 'intentional' as a part of their history, and after my encounter with the All-Goddess/ AI automated door, I realized why that is - the Nora are a matriarchy because the voice of this automated door sounds feminine. They worship this AI construct as a God, and because the voice of it so happens to sound feminine, their entire culture is built up as a matriarchy. Mind. Fucking. Blown.

Bravo on the part of the writer's who put in this subtle nod of world building without beating us over the head with it. Its brilliantly delivered, and has made me even more excited to explore the narrative world that is in this game.

CHC

I've noticed a drop a few times here and there (like in the
jungles below Meridian
) but it's really, really minor. Probably just dropping one area and loading in another causing a hitch. Action is pretty much solid 30.

On hard mode. 11 hours in. Still haven't left the larger Nora region yet. God damn, this game is incredible. Really looking forward to getting my hands on some new weapons.

So, I wanted to have a discussion about something I found FASCINATING about the Nora & beginning part of the game. Minor early-game spoilers:

So, after Aloy is brought to her 'mother'/All-Goddess in the heart of the mountain, I had an epiphany as to both the commentary I felt the writer was trying to make, as well as it answering a question I was having about the Nora up to this (very) early part of the game. The Nora are a matriarchal tribe, and a part of me was wondering why so much of their culture was steeped in maternal hierarchy or why women were given such a high status in their society. It just felt very 'intentional' as a part of their history, and after my encounter with the All-Goddess/ AI automated door, I realized why that is - the Nora are a matriarchy because the voice of this automated door sounds feminine. They worship this AI construct as a God, and because the voice of it so happens to sound feminine, their entire culture is built up as a matriarchy. Mind. Fucking. Blown.

Bravo on the part of the writer's who put in this subtle nod of world building without beating us over the head with it. Its brilliantly delivered, and has made me even more excited to explore the narrative world that is in this game.
I realized that part immediately, and I think it's neat, but it does make the Nora seem stupid to Aloy. Very much trivializes their entire belief system, and while I get that's the point, it was a bit jarring. It makes sense, it was just like an "Oh...really?" moment for me.

benny_a

Rost spoilers

You can go to the rosts home and talk to Rost grave. Pretty damn cool
What's more impressive,
it's basically a brilliant catch-up mechanic for people that stopped playing the game for more than a week and want to get caught up with the story so far and what the very next objective is in Aloy's own words.

MaKTaiL

Rost spoilers

You can go to the rosts home and talk to Rost grave. Pretty damn cool
You can keep coming back to it after a few story missions and she will continue to tell the story of her journey to him. It's pretty fantastic.

Yes randomly exploring that are shaped like blue mountain icons on the map. The first one I went to a random NPC talked to me and it popped up as my activated quest.

I think it was in the village Mother's Crown that a woman told me about the first cauldron. She told me to actually not go there. XD
Maybe go back to that village and talk to everyone, especially if it's a woman. The cauldron will then be marked on your map.

I'm a bit surprised that cauldrons are actually just side quests.
Thank you guys, just finished Sigma. Also the design of it when you first enter was breathtaking!

Now on to arrows. I only have the fire arrows, I think there are ice and not sure what else arrows. Are these also unlocked by exploring?

G-Bus

Banned
Fun reading some of these posts of people just passed the proving or still in the sacred lands. Gets so much better passed the gate.

Not really touching the main story quests at this point. Having too muche fun exploring. Just got all the long necks and trying to get some more of the hunters lodge quests out of the way. Might take another run at a set of hunter trials now that I have a better grasp on things.

Does anyone know if there are side quests for all the Cauldrons? Beat another one and was thinking about taking them all down for the overrides.

20 hours in and I still get nervous taking two saw tooth on. Buggers always jump the trip wires or avoid them all together.

benny_a

Thank you guys, just finished Sigma. Also the design of it when you first enter was breathtaking!

Now on to arrows. I only have the fire arrows, I think there are ice and not sure what else arrows. Are these also unlocked by exploring?
There are different bow classes. Hunter Bow, War Bow, Sharpshooter Bow etc.

Additionally: The Tripcaster and Ropecaster are different. I didn't realize this at first, I thought it was a later unlock.

Not really touching the main story quests at this point. Having too muche fun exploring.
The main quest makes you travel a lot, it's been a very surprising design of how far away some low level quests are.

I realized that part immediately, and I think it's neat, but it does make the Nora seem stupid to Aloy. Very much trivializes their entire belief system, and while I get that's the point, it was a bit jarring. It makes sense, it was just like an "Oh...really?" moment for me.

It was perfect for me, cause instead of Aloy going "Ya know, I know these Nora basically oppressed me my whole life, but now that i'm one of them maybe they aren't so bad", she just went "Yeah, ya'll are crazy.
This is just an automated door
". The fact that the Nora limit themselves so restrictively for something so trivial, and having a character who shares the same perspective the player is also enjoying, is pretty special. Personally, it immediately immersed me in her character in a way that hadn't happened up until that point.

Do going up the tall necks reveal side quest missions and people to speak to for little side jobs etc?

Would it be wrong of me to just unlock all the pouch upgrades first before doing any main quests? You can create jobs so I might just create job and 100% all the pouch upgrades first before doing any missions.

Man, I love the sound of the "tear" away arrow makes when it's revving up to rip shit up. I love the way the it hits a Scrapper, rips his shit off and the scrapper says fuck this and runs away.

Just cleared Sigma on very hard.

Holy. That got intense, real quick.

Well... there go all my potions, half my ammo and my medicine pouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom