• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me personally it's pretty damn near perfect. It hits all of the notes I'd want a sci-fi story to hit. I was not expecting the game to do what it did with its world/lore. The story was the biggest surprise for me. I'm in love with it. I haven't felt this way about a new IP's world and story since the first time I played Mass Effect.
Agreed. What is amazing is how detailed the story is. Big story spoilers kind-of:
Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time, but unlike Terminator I feel like Horizon Zero Dawn actually makes me believe that this could have happened. The detail to which they go through the humans coming to understand their fate, and how they are going to survive it through Zero Dawn is so damn well-done.
As well, I've never played a game with audio logs as well done as those in this game. I actually want to listen to them all, and the voice acting in these logs is perfect. Like...they just nail it out of the park on some of them.

I would say
4 or more and that's with the very rare Shadow Ropecaster which uses heavy rope.
It will show an icon that fills up as you apply more ropes.

Damn. I've been using the green ropecaster all this time lmao. I never knew that the rope itself can be upgraded. I'll get that one asap then, thanks.

For me personally it's pretty damn near perfect. It hits all of the notes I'd want a sci-fi story to hit. I was not expecting the game to do what it did with its world/lore. The story was the biggest surprise for me. I'm in love with it. I haven't felt this way about a new IP's world and story since the first time I played Mass Effect.

I haven't gotten too far into the story yet (just, you know, 18hrs of gameplay later, ha), but I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the data points, whether it's audio logs or text. In Dragon Age/The Witcher/Fallout etc, I often found myself skipping past that sort of thing, as I found them too dry and detached to read for the most part. Horizon's gives you fascinating snippets of the world before, from the political to the mundane to reality bloody television. This is the only time I actually want to collect them all, and of course they don't show up on the world map! I can't wait to see where the story goes, because with the data points alone the set-up is fascinating - and distressingly too close to comfort at times. As Vincent Alexander said above, the voice work on the audio logs I've heard has been superb. Very raw and naturalistic.

Stiler

Well.......I just had the game spoil a major quest/storyline for me. First time I've ever had a game spoil itself, and after googling I see I'm not the only one that it happened to, sigh.

For anyone who goes to the hunting lodge, do NOT, I repeat do NOT read the "Redmaw part 2" Datapoint.

It spoils the ENTIRE hunting lodge quest/storyline for you and it shows up right after you read the first one.

I assume it's not meant to show up until you actually do the questline, but it seems to be bugged and shows up right after you read the first datapoint there.

vypek

I'm worried that I may be screwing something up by exploring. Aloy is speaking as if story events or conversations have occured when I go to certain locations. Hopefully doesn't mess anything up.

Anyone experience anything like this?

07WkmTS.gif

oh god.. OH GOD OH GOD

This actually highlights another of the things I wasn't so fond of. I really hated how much I'd have to dodge in succession at times. It's probably hard to avoid considering the size of some of these enemies, but I do wish I'd not have to roll 5-6 times in a row just to try get some distance.

torontoml

Well.......I just had the game spoil a major quest/storyline for me. First time I've ever had a game spoil itself, and after googling I see I'm not the only one that it happened to, sigh.

For anyone who goes to the hunting lodge, do NOT, I repeat do NOT read the "Redmaw part 2" Datapoint.

It spoils the ENTIRE hunting lodge quest/storyline for you and it shows up right after you read the first one.

I assume it's not meant to show up until you actually do the questline, but it seems to be bugged and shows up right after you read the first datapoint there.

Yeah, I kinda just skimmed that, and bailed as soon as I saw her name.

Sanctuary

I don't know what the hell was up with that, but I actually read that first (never actually found the first part...) and wondered if it was supposed to actually be what ends up happening in the future, or if it was some random shit that actually already happened in the past, and you're just redoing it without realizing it.

This game is robot Jesus.

Climbed my first tallkneck. Gonna start using fast travel to speed things up. Should I worry about the level suggestions for quests?

This actually highlights another of the things I wasn't so fond of. I really hated how much I'd have to dodge in succession at times. It's probably hard to avoid considering the size of some of these enemies, but I do wish I'd not have to roll 5-6 times in a row just to try get some distance.

There's an upgrade for a long roll, I don't know how much it helps?

Sanctuary

Climbed my first tallkneck. Gonna start using fast travel to speed things up. Should I worry about the level suggestions for quests?

No. And honestly, the hardest thing for me initially was listed as a level 8, when I was already twenty (random trial). A few people said earlier that the level is just supposed to represent enemy difficulty.

There's an upgrade for a long roll, I don't know how much it helps?

It barely does anything. Hold the button, or do two normal rolls instead? I've also found that dodging in general in this game is unreliable if you're trying to dodge away, so I always just roll into an enemy and they always miss.

Really useful for the bigger enemies.

Not in my experience. It would be different if the camera wasn't horrible in this game and the enemy wasn't off screen most of the time when trying to evade thanks to no lockon. The only enemy where having a longer roll helps to avoid much of anything is a Thunderjaw when it tail swipes or tries to stomp. But you can still just normal roll through it.

there's skill that let you roll farther if you hold the roll button. I haven't had the need to do the frequent rolling like that gif even when fighting thundermaw. although I have no idea if frequent rolling is more efficient or not, but I just don't like the look of it, and the more farther roll have been going pretty well for me so far.

of course I haven't fought all the robot types either.

To an extent. Like I wouldn't want to face a thunderbird at low levels with bad gear. However you can get the mats for good gear at almost any time as long as you know how to kill the required robots. It's more about finding a method of killing them, However a number of skills will help put things in your favor. You'll never outlevel the game either though. You can still die easy with the best gear at high levels. You can probably ignore it for the most part. Just stay well stocked up and get good gear.

there's skill that let you roll farther if you hold the roll button. I haven't had the need to do the frequent rolling like that gif even when fighting thundermaw. although I have no idea if frequent rolling is more efficient or not, but I just don't like the look of it, and the more farther roll have been going pretty well for me so far.

of course I haven't fought all the robot types either.

It's more of a problem with herds I found, or small groups of very aggressive enemies. Like fighting 2 ravagers at once would result in frequent rolling for me due to the speed and ferocity of them both. Even tracking them could become awkward so I'd end up dodging predicted attacks too. The extended roll helped, but didn't completely remove the problem. Adding in a slide or too helped to switch it up a little at least, but it's easier to get hit.

In my experience, recommended levels don't mean much since you can still get your ass handed ie. the first cauldron. i think it's the tools you use and armor you wear that matter the most

AEREC

I'm worried that I may be screwing something up by exploring. Aloy is speaking as if story events or conversations have occured when I go to certain locations. Hopefully doesn't mess anything up.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Kind of...I went back to the starting area after getting to daybreak tower. It seems like it kinda screwed up some conversations back at daybreak. Specifically the quest where the Nora woman wants to kill Zaid.

mileS

Game comes in tomorrow, is there a consensus on difficulty setting?
Yooo I remember you from D3 gaf. I was recommended hard and I'm glad thats what I stuck with. Perfect balance for me personally. A lot of the fun combat wise is being on your toes or being scared of the machine you are fighting. No trophies attached to difficulty setting, but you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Turn off the waypoints and make the HUD dynamic for the best experience.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What exactly does freeze as an element do?

Kalentan

So I uh... Got to level 48 and suddenly got 9 skill points. Now I will have more skill points then I need to unlock everything. Wtf?

Wow! Just hit up my first vantage point...

(Easter eggs spoiler)
H:ZD takes place in the Rigs:MCL universe...

Do Imgur links auto load? Will post link but don't want to spoil. On mobile.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Played about 9 hours straight today, this is game of the gen for me. I haven't been this enthralled by game in a long time.

The game is on paar with Uncharted 4 graphics and exceeds it in some areas. I don't see why Naughty Dog don't invest back in open world gameplay and games in a Jak And Daxter reboot, next Uncharted or in TLOU2. the same can be said about GOW4 which I think was in development even before Horizon Zero Dawn.
Luckily Death stranding is using this engine and improving it while keeping the open world gameplay.

Ulong

just a dude reminiscing about his life while looking from cool spots. Personally I just want to loot his supply boxes

I don't know how far in you are so you might not want to read this response if you haven't gotten late into the game and found all the vantages, but
the dude's life ends up intersecting with the main storyline in some way eventually, seeing as he apparently works at Faro robotics (or whatever Faro's company was called)

KillGore

Playing this game with the HUD off is simply amazing. You just touch the pad and it pops up. Everyone should play the game this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom