• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to switch between bows quickly besides taking up valuable space on the wheel? I like have a diverse toolset on the quick wheel but also need different types of arrows.

I'm asking this again since it got ignored: Is there a way to make finding text/audio logs easier? It only usually comes up as a cube in the compass.

so do higher tiers of weapons (green->blue->purple) have access to more types of ammo, or just different types of ammo?

I ask because I got a blue tripcaster and I have shock and blast traps on it now, I assume because its blue over my old green one?

also this sniper type bow does SO much more damage than the...err... other type of bow, its not even funny. It says its only for long range, but I sue it at close range aswell and it still wrecks /shrug #longbowlife

The higher tier weapons usually add ammo types. For example, the purple tripcaster adds fire traps.

For the bows, I loaded up my hunter bow with damage mods and the sharpshot bow with tear mods. The hunter bow has a much higher rate of fire, so I prefer to use that as my main damage bow. You can fire off about 3 arrows with the hunter bow in the same amount of time as one arrow from a sharpshot bow. I mainly use the sharpshot bow for the tearblast arrows and harvester arrows. The only time I really use the damage arrows on the sharpshot bow is if I want to headshot a human enemy who's out of range of the hunter bow.

Playsage

I have the basic arrows and the fire arrows but how on earth do I unlock the freeze and shock arrows?
Ammo types are specific to weapon types. Shock and Freeze Arrows are exclusive to the Warbow line. Also, the ammo types available are dependent on the weapon's rarity.

Ex: Blast Sling (uncommon) has only impact bombs. Carja Blast Sling (rare) has impact bombs and proximity bombs

hydruxo

Is there a way to switch between bows quickly besides taking up valuable space on the wheel? I like have a diverse toolset on the quick wheel but also need different types of arrows.

Do you have the shadow tier weapons? You're never going to be able to equip more than 4 weapons at once, but the shadow weapons allow you to have up to 3 different arrow/bomb types at once per weapon. That gives you a fairly diverse toolset IMO.

Do you have the shadow tier weapons? You're never going to be able to equip more than 4 weapons at once, but the shadow weapons allow you to have up to 3 different arrow/bomb types at once per weapon. That gives you a fairly diverse toolset IMO.
I have the shadow hunter bow but it doesn't have freeze arrows can I swap out or do I need a war bow for that?

Skux

No, but I think this is intentional, to make you strategise around limitations and use your entire arsenal. So if you need shock damage, you're going to need either the War Bow or Tripcaster, but that leaves a hole in your ice and fire damage which you can make up with one of the slings, and all sorts of other combinations. The designers don't want to have everything on one bow or weapon (at least not until the end game) because that would mean you'd just be firing bows all day long.

Mindlog

I have the shadow hunter bow but it doesn't have freeze arrows can I swap out or do I need a war bow for that?
War Bow. It's very powerful.

I normally went 3 Bows Hunter, Sharp, War, and Tripcaster.
I'm asking this again since it got ignored: Is there a way to make finding text/audio logs easier? It only usually comes up as a cube in the compass.
vtnsg5f.gif

Anoying too because while being very thorough I still missed two quest logs somehow.

aristotle

Not that I can find. I've been searching constantly for the regular text datapoints since I like reading other people's texts/emails in this game for some reason. I have a ton missing and some of them actually have story points in them, such as the one titled "The 'Gift'. I honestly can't believe there's not a map online at this point.

I'm dropping my own personal score to a dead solid 8 only because I think the game is lacking a little in what I would expect out of it. Again, I don't play open world games because most of them do not appeal to me conceptually. Horizon ticks almost all my boxes, and as far as this game goes, I do feel like there isn't much reason to go off the beaten path and I would have liked to see more secret stuff hidden in the world and settlements. I don't enjoy it any less - and I don't give scores any significance beyond my own curiosity. It's a phenomenal new IP from a studio that never would have been on my radar if they kept making Killzone.

It's hard to get this game out of my mind. I need more.

I finished the game last night (only 60% completion) and I have basically been thinking about it nonstop. Even right now at work.

I just set my phone background to some pictures from the fan kit that they released on twitter

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/837709155561574400
bit.ly/hzdfankit

there is also some sound clips of the Focus being activated and deactivated that I am using for my text sounds :)

Skux

I really appreciate the lack of handholding. Apart from basic gameplay mechanics it's all up to you to decide how to take down machines, so we all end up sharing different strategies and weapon choices. Formulating your own strategies based on your play style and the tools you have available and watching it work (or fail spectacularly and leaving you having to improvise) is so satisfying and it's great reading all the stories of encounters and how people handled them. People are even figuring out new mechanics - like the one a few pages back where you can hook a trip caster trap up to a blast mine to make them easier to set off.

Not that I can find. I've been searching constantly for the regular text datapoints since I like reading other people's texts/emails in this game for some reason. I have a ton missing and some of them actually have story points in them, such as the one titled "The 'Gift'. I honestly can't believe there's not a map online at this point.

That's unfortunate. I know it's not within everyone's taste, but I really like finding and reading/listening to text/audio logs. It helps flesh out the world and lore of Horizon

Reedirect

I really appreciate the lack of handholding. Apart from basic gameplay mechanics it's all up to you to decide how to take down machines, so we all end up sharing different strategies and weapon choices. Formulating your own strategies based on your play style and the tools you have available and watching it work (or fail spectacularly and leaving you having to improvise) is so satisfying and it's great reading all the stories of encounters and how people handled them. People are even figuring out new mechanics - like the one a few pages back where you can hook a trip caster trap up to a blast mine to make them easier to set off.

Agreed. I thought it was a negative for the first few hours, thinking: "Man, this game didn't teach me anything at all aside from jumping and shooting arrows." Later it becomes a benefit. Focus will help you pinpoint weaknesses, but the overall strategy and execution is always up to you. When you succeed, it feels incredible.

It kinda reminds of Souls games in this regard.

A super weird experience to me was watching a video from someone else after being playing a ton of hs myself and see that his loadout was completely different than mine. My brain didn't know what to think, it's like I didn't understand how it was possible, in a way I was (I am) so used to my weapons and their placement in the wheel that I ended up thinking that it was fixed by the game.

aristotle

That's unfortunate. I know it's not within everyone's taste, but I really like finding and reading/listening to text/audio logs. It helps flesh out the world and lore of Horizon

I think the official guide comes out next Tuesday so if it's in there, it will be leaked on the 'net next week.

Glinthawks are a fantastic example of the long tradition of cheapass, infuriating flying enemies in games. Until I got an upgraded ropecaster they were almost literally unkillable for me, and even now that I steamroll everything this side of a thunderjaw I still hate them.

Really? The first time I ever fought them was up north on the frozen lake and the fight was amazing. I killed 4 on my first try. They seem to go down pretty easily.

Mindlog

Got so tired of Glinthawks at one point that I loaded up my Hunter Bow with every fire mod I had.
I'm dropping my own personal score to a dead solid 8 only because I think the game is lacking a little in what I would expect out of it. Again, I don't play open world games because most of them do not appeal to me conceptually. Horizon ticks almost all my boxes, and as far as this game goes, I do feel like there isn't much reason to go off the beaten path and I would have liked to see more secret stuff hidden in the world and settlements. I don't enjoy it any less - and I don't give scores any significance beyond my own curiosity. It's a phenomenal new IP from a studio that never would have been on my radar if they kept making Killzone.
That's a very fair score coming from a different direction. I enjoy open world games. I wish Horizon had gone a little further with the genres it uses specifically in regards to RPG, Survival and Action Combat.

I made it a point to chase vantage locations fairly early in the game because I really enjoyed his little story. However, I'm imagining how much more interesting it could have been as a puzzle instead of directly giving me those locations as a marker on my map. Plenty of other little examples like that in the game. Dying to see how they improve everything with Horizon 2.

Yeah that's what I am doing right now but I am a chicken so I like a little more distance between me and the dinos.

Oh you can shoot pretty far, hold R2 and aim as high as you need and you could see that your rockbomb will go for a pretty long distance. It's less straight forward than an arrow tho but it's fun.

I think the official guide comes out next Tuesday so if it's in there, it will be leaked on the 'net next week.
In that case, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Just got into the Carja lands, and man, it looks entirely beautiful. Though the area in the second Cauldron with Ravager, two Longlegs and a squad of Watchers really makes it a challenge

I'm using the normal bow, sharpshooter, nopecaster and blast sling. Working out really well for me so far. The nopecaster deals with anything big, the blast sling deals AOE damage, normal bow is good for general stuff and of course fire, and then the sniper bow is the heavy hitter. I've heard that some people only use one bow and I can't imagine anyone using the Rattler, but i'm sure someone does.

I'm using the normal bow, sharpshooter, nopecaster and blast sling. Working out really well for me so far. The nopecaster deals with anything big, the blast sling deals AOE damage, normal bow is good for general stuff and of course fire, and then the sniper bow is the heavy hitter. I've heard that some people only use one bow and I can't imagine anyone using the Rattler, but i'm sure someone does.

The Rattler is a disgrace for me haha.

I use only one bow, used Sharpshot for a long time but now I use the Hunter's Bow more often. Then the Sling with elementals, Ropecaster and Tripwire. Ropecaster is the weapon I use the least on my wheel.

X-Frame

Can I somehow buy animal bones and skins from any Merchant in Meridian?

I'd like to max out my capacities for all my stuff and I am swimming in shards.

Skux

The rattler feels out of place when pretty much everything you fight requires pinpoint accuracy, or huge AoE damage. I'm pretty sure it's intended for use against humans but it's really not all that efficient given its short range and spammy nature. It would be cool if it had a sort of knockback effect to keep machines at bay, or if it fired its payload all at once like a shotgun. Are there upgrades later on which make it useful?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know how people don't use the tripcaster. The Shadow Version is my go to weapon at the start of any battle with either a ton of robos or any time a large robo is around. I just place them at specific choke points and other areas I know enemies will be crossing over, especially if they're trying to flank me. The rope caster is great but its a bit of a waste on anything that isn't flying or one of the bigger enemies.

The rattler feels out of place when pretty much everything you fight requires pinpoint accuracy, or huge AoE damage. I'm pretty sure it's intended for use against humans but it's really not all that efficient given its short range and spammy nature. It would be cool if it had a sort of knockback effect to keep machines at bay. Are there upgrades later on which make it useful?

Don't remember the name but it's kinda sad that you get that
Tear Shotgun
pretty late in the game... or that was my fault. :p
I'd like to use it but I'm so used to my weapons now...

hydruxo

Blast sling with the right mods is just beastly. Other than triple precision arrows, the blast sling is always my go-to when I need to dish out a ton of damage quickly.

Can I somehow buy animal bones and skins from any Merchant in Meridian?

I'd like to max out my capacities for all my stuff and I am swimming in shards.

I haven't found any vendors selling animal parts. I went on a hunting trip around Devil's Thirst and upgraded everything. There's a good variety of wildlife there.

pixxxelz

Blast sling with the right mods is just beastly. Other than triple precision arrows, the blast sling is always my go-to when I need to dish out a ton of damage quickly.
That's what I've been using for all the big enemies, just tied them down with the rope caster and the blow them up with the blast sling, I have 3 +40% damage mods in mine, is a fucking beast.

mokeyjoe

The rattler feels out of place when pretty much everything you fight requires pinpoint accuracy, or huge AoE damage. I'm pretty sure it's intended for use against humans but it's really not all that efficient given its short range and spammy nature. It would be cool if it had a sort of knockback effect to keep machines at bay, or if it fired its payload all at once like a shotgun. Are there upgrades later on which make it useful?

I started out using the Rattler quite a bit. It was useful when I didn't know what I was doing and just wanted to cause some easy damage. I pretty much ignore it now, but I'm wondering if I buy a better one if it could be a fun alternative to the bow.

Skux

Mine is:

Hunter bow for general use - I don't know how anyone could manage without it, but I suppose there are some real strategists out there who use traps and things, and save the sharpshooter bow for weak points and finishers

Blast sling - love the AoE damage, but it's murder on my blaze supply. Or the Carja sling when I'm fighting enemies weak against freeze damage (don't have freezing arrows yet)

Tripcaster - one of my favourite strategies is to lure big game past my minefield of traps and watch them explode while running toward me

Sharpshooter bow - the super arrows and tear arrows are just too fun to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom