• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, i'm kind of disappointed. I was really excited to dive into this game, and I love open worlds, and everything about this game. But it just isn't grabbing me. Every time i have an option to play another game, I do. Anything i'm missing here gaf?

It's to the point where i haven't even gotten myself to the proving. My friend says it opens up even more after that, but i tried playing again and got side tracked.

This is hilarious. You haven't even done the first story mission yet and you are complaining about the game not grabbing you. Proving is the second story mission in the game. I mean i understand wanting to start with an explosive opening setpiece, but ffs you are literally at the start of the game. You asked what you are missing, well you are missing EVERYTHING. You have seen maybe 1% of the game lol.

Maybe I am getting too old but posts like this I just cant handle anymore.

AudioEppa

Every time I was near a animal Aloy would start talking about a place to control the animals. I never understood why or cared until I watched a twitch stream last night and somebody found a location of the place that you see in the end credits. I was like ohhh, that's what she was talking about lol

Woetyler

This is hilarious. You haven't even done the first story mission yet and you are complaining about the game not grabbing you. Proving is the second story mission in the game. I mean i understand wanting to start with an explosive opening setpiece, but ffs you are literally at the start of the game. You asked what you are missing, well you are missing EVERYTHING. You have seen maybe 1% of the game lol.

Maybe I am getting too old but posts like this I just cant handle anymore.

All you had to say instead of being territorial my guy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Holy moly the thunder jaws.. came across it for the first time just after a bonfire and I was about to finish for the day so I figured I'd have a go at it. Started off well by riding a robo bull into its patrol path and then hiding in the bushes for it to notice. blasted off the disc launcher and got its health down to half. Then it one-shot me with its tail :p

Does it only have one disc launcher? I wish the notebook would have a little 3D model of the creatures so you could rotate them to better see where the different components are. Sometimes they're a bit tricky to see

grimmiq

Every time I was near a animal Aloy would start talking about a place to control the animals. I never understood why or cared until I watched a twitch stream last night and somebody found a location of the place that you see in the end credits. I was like ohhh, that's what she was talking about lol

You made it through the entire game without even entering
a Cauldron
?

Holy moly the thunder jaws.. came across it for the first time just after a bonfire and I was about to finish for the day so I figured I'd have a go at it. Started off well by riding a robo bull into its patrol path and then hiding in the bushes for it to notice. blasted off the disc launcher and got its health down to half. Then it one-shot me with its tail :p

Does it only have one disc launcher? I wish the notebook would have a little 3D model of the creatures so you could rotate them to better see where the different components are. Sometimes they're a bit tricky to see

Most have 2, I think some are battle damaged, the big things on their lower backs.

hydruxo

It's to the point where i haven't even gotten myself to the proving. My friend says it opens up even more after that, but i tried playing again and got side tracked.

it's like a completely different game once you go across to
Carja territory (the deserts/jungles).
I'd suggest keeping at it and you'll get into it soon enough.

The world of Horizon Zero Dawn is filled with a plethora of mysteries, but none are more mysterious than this:

JKoExGe.jpg

Grisby

At about 44 hours and 79 percent completion. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I think I only have one or two missions left.

Great game.
I can't remember last time I want to fight soemthing not for the loot or to beat stages, just because the encounter is fun.
Cleaning up collectibles, see a stormbird, can't help myself and shoot arrow at it, 10 minutes of cool fight.
The combat is a lot of fun and that's what motivates me around the world. That and the pretty places.

rafaelr

man, this game is just something else. i knew that fighting robodinos would probably be cool, but never thought the story and all thosse little details in the (audio)logs would be this interesting and engaging to me. really liking aloy as well.

came across a weird bug today, where you couldn´t focus tag enemies and their awareness displays were gone as well. found out that the fix is to get flashed by a watcher.

AudioEppa

You made it through the entire game without even entering
a Cauldron
?

If that's what there called, yep lol

I did more side missions then I thought I would. But I keep my focus on the main story majority of the time. I wasn't trying to get catched outside by a dinosaur.

Socivol

There's a side quest (or errand?) to upgrade your starting spear. There are skills you can unlock to increase the damage of your "strikes." Potential progression spoilers:
There's also a purple spear that you can get as a reward for completing a story quest.

Can you tell what/where these are.

I like to tie down Snapmaws before going after them with the fire just so I can situate myself properly. Those fuckers leap so much farther than I expected.

I had my first encounter with the Thunderjaw yesterday. Holy fuck how terrifying. Those things are much smarter than the other machines and seem to hunt you down for a very long time.

silva1991

I can't remember last time I want to fight soemthing not for the loot or to beat stages, just because the encounter is fun.
Cleaning up collectibles, see a stormbird, can't help myself and shoot arrow at it, 10 minutes of cool fight.

Indeed. Combat is great and monsters are some of the best made in the industry.

Each big robot here is as good or even better than a good Souls boss.

I hope GG actually realize that and make the inevitable DLC about fighting new robots/new cool weapons and nothing else.

Fuck human enemies.

Sanctuary

The world is pretty, but it is very barren. There's not a lot of actual RPG stuff to do. It's not a great RPG open world, but it's a great action game open world.

As the game is set up more for the former, a an actual RPG, it feels a little under-cooked to me.

The game might have been somewhat advertised as an "actual RPG", but many already said how it wasn't going to be one based on what was being shown months prior to release. Hell, when the developer even says "keeping the RPG elements light" you have to keep your expectations in check, since so many games anymore have "RPG elements" that aren't RPGs.

It's as much of an RPG as either of the Tomb Raider reboots. Generic dialogue options don't change that.

I have a confession. I still haven't used the ropecaster, and I finished the game last night.

/hides

Good for you. I tried it more than a few times, but never actually found it to be useful for any situation ever. So you spared yourself some grief. People mention how you can tie down Glinthawks (I just pretty much kill them almost instantly anyway) or Stormbirds (I just freeze them and then quickly kill them) or some other random situation. While those options might work, I still don't see the need for it, especially since you can't really keep them roped and kill them.

LiK

Human enemies ain't so bad if they didn't have so many you have to deal with at one time. Anytime you alert them every single one comes after you, its insane. Thank gawd for Tripwires.

I have a confession. I still haven't used the ropecaster, and I finished the game last night.

/hides

Serious? It makes taking down the big machines so well.

Ricker

One thing I wasnt doing enough is using Concentration and also bought the Warbow...some where saying it was bad but isnt that the only way to have freeze and shock arrows...combat is getting much easier now...

Saw my first Thunderjaw but decided not to try it lol...I was in the middle of a qu*cough*est ;P ;)

After you
save the Nora from the Eclipse invasion and go back into the door at Mother's Den, you can talk to Teersa after you come back out and everyone calls you the anointed
. She'll finally tell you. It's really good.

Just did it! best story in the whole game goddammit!! I though they were going to pull a
Gandalf The White but... I think I should be forget about that already. :'(

gdt

Question:

Ran into a robot with a power cell on him and then killed him but got no power cell. Do I have to remove it by shooting it off to obtain it?

Kaako

Felium Defensor

/hides
Haha nice. You can get by in this game w/out using half of the arsenal easily I feel. Much more skill based than what type of weapon you're carrying. The different weapons variety does help tremendously and adds more depth to the encounters though and how you potentially tackle them. The options are there to fit your playstyle, which is excellent. Hats off to GG, seriously.

daveo42

Banned

/hides

I realized the joy of using the ropecaster last night on some of the larger enemies. Took down a stormbird in a third of the time pinning it to the ground. Same with a thunderjaw. The ropecaster might be a bit too good in taking down the bigger beasts.

Sanctuary

Human enemies ain't so bad if they didn't have so many you have to deal with at one time. Anytime you alert them every single one comes after you, its insane. Thank gawd for Tripwires.

Tripwires or any of the grenade types from the Blast Sling to kill them en masse.

Serious? It makes taking down the big machines so well.

Just freeze them.

It's way more of an RPG than the first Tomb Raider. Like come on, what kind of nonsense is this?

I know some desperately want that to be true, but it really isn't.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
i love taking them down over freezing. it's pretty epic seeing them struggle as you try to knock off more armor.
It's much more satisfying than freezing them, that's for damn sure. I'm gonna try pinning a thunderjaw first then freezing for the hell of it to see what happens lol. The options and how you tackle these big encounters are damn nice.

zulux21

derp...
derp derp derp...

I am in an area with a canyon.... on the other side of the canyon was a tent that you have to walk down a little bit to cross a bridge. in said tent was a bunch of audio clips.

I listened to said audio clips and during that time forgot I was on the other side of a canyon and when I walked outside I walked right into the canyon and died @_@

(those who are far enough likely know the area I am talking about, but it's vague enough that it isn't a spoiler lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom