• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

Finally got the Metal Shards to buy the Nora Survivor Heavy, But my question is the Nora Protector heavy is only 100 Metal Shards away but you also need a shell walker heart, Any idea where i can find that item?

there's a merchant in meridian that sells hearts from most beasts but if you're not that far in yet or don't want to rush to meridian just to buy a heart. shell-walkers are the spider like enemies, you just have to farm them til one drops a heart

Stat!

Man, its amazing how incredible this game is from a story, world, and gameplay perspective. I haven't even progressed that far in the story because of how great the side missions are. The world feels so full of life that I love coming across a new town or area.

Might be one of my favourite games of all time.

Where can I get better spears? purple or at least blue.

There's a side quest (or errand?) to upgrade your starting spear. There are skills you can unlock to increase the damage of your "strikes." Potential progression spoilers:
There's also a purple spear that you can get as a reward for completing a story quest.

calder

Really? The first time I ever fought them was up north on the frozen lake and the fight was amazing. I killed 4 on my first try. They seem to go down pretty easily.

I think I'm just too reliant on sniping and the bastards move around too much and too randomly. I draw back fully, get close to a glinthawk, zoom in and slow time and WHAP I get liquid nitrogen shat on me by the other two assholes.

The only way I can handle them, besides wasting 40 fire arrows, is to use the ropecaster, which is also annoying. I mean, I just roll up on a field of tramplers and wreck shit until I'm surrounded by machine parts like it's nothing, and these flying hyenas still annoy me.

As to the discussion on weapons, I have shadow everything and I never ever use the sling or rattler. The rattler I use only when I find ammo and need to burn some off and the sling... meh don't see the utility. I mainly use the tripcaster and sharpshooter bow, with some hunter bow on the side. I only use the warbow when I remember I have it and want to waste some corruption arrows on stealth hijinx.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This game really shines when you just go out there and hunt machines rather than doing quests.

I find its a mix of both. I like running/riding to most quests and rarely fast travel and along the way its like I'm having a mini adventure to get to said quest.

This is pretty cool.
https://twitter.com/TeddyBeast87/status/839188534460305409
C6VlgA4XMAE9Msf.jpg:large

Mathieran

Banned
Sounds like I need to get out and adventure some more. I've got about 20 hours in and I haven't left the Nora territory yet. Every time I set out to to work on the main quest I get distracted by something.

Fast travel to the starting location of the game (Rost's house)

Towards the back there are plenty of animals and they respawn fairly quickly.

Boar, foxes, rabbits, raccoons and turkeys in plenty.

TsuWave

my set up is:

shadow hunter bow
lodge war bow
lodge ropecaster
and shadow tripcaster

i stacked purple tear and damage mods on my hunter bow so i don't miss the sharphot bow much. the lodge weapons have slightly better base stats than their shadow counterparts, its just a shame there isn't a lodge hunter bow.

also, i probably use the tripcaster more than 90% of people playing, even when i'm getting rushed by thunderjaws, i've gotten so good at double R2 tap that I use it as if its a fast firing weapon instead of using it as a weapon to lay down traps lol. the blast wire of the tripcaster does a ton of damage.

silva1991

There's a side quest (or errand?) to upgrade your starting spear. There are skills you can unlock to increase the damage of your "strikes." Potential progression spoilers:
There's also a purple spear that you can get as a reward for completing a story quest.

Thanks

What's better upgrading starting spear or getting purple one?

This is so cool!

Lady Maria <3

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I use hunter bow, sharpshooter bow, tripcaster, and sling

Swap ropecaster for tripcaster for big game and fliers

I've thought about trading the hunting bow for a war bow, but use too many cheap arrows for trash enemies and hunting

Nothing like tearing a heavy gun off a big dino and then using it against the dino, so satisfying. I have a 40% tear mod on my sharpshooter bow, knocks just about anything off.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fucking Sawtooths. Dunno if its cheap or not, nor do I care, but im abusing the shit out of the tripcaster. I already liked the shock ones, but the blast ones are great, stuff blows up real good.

X-Frame

People don't sleep on the Sticky Grenades either.

Put Max Damage into the Blast Sling. Knock over or pin down an enemy and you can lay them with as many Stickies as possible and they won't end the stun/ropes. They'll get up and then start taking the delayed damage of the 4-5 Stickies you placed.

Bonus if you can Freeze them beforehand too. Knock over, Freeze, lay with Stickies and profit.

FelipeMGM

I really like the way the logs give us background of the world before the Apocashitstorm

Also, I love how RIGS fits so much in with that pre-Apocashitstorm era.
RIP GC

Playsage

My weapon sets

Majority of the game:
- Hunter's bow
- Sharpshooter bow
- Sling
- Ropecaster

Currently:
- Hunter's bow
- Warbow
- Blast sling
1000+ damage on frozen Thunderjaw's heart!!!
- Ropecaster

I think I'm just too reliant on sniping and the bastards move around too much and too randomly. I draw back fully, get close to a glinthawk, zoom in and slow time and WHAP I get liquid nitrogen shat on me by the other two assholes.

The only way I can handle them, besides wasting 40 fire arrows, is to use the ropecaster, which is also annoying. I mean, I just roll up on a field of tramplers and wreck shit until I'm surrounded by machine parts like it's nothing, and these flying hyenas still annoy me.

Well, whiffing shots is a normal thing for me. But I put that down to just really precise hitboxes which I really appreciate. I also turned of aim assist so it's really skill dependent in terms of aiming. I only use fire arrows against them.

Shits. There's like a million of those >.<

It'll say upgrade spear damage or something like that in the rewards, so it should be easy to figure out which one it is. I can't remember if it's a side quest or an errand. It does not add mod slots.
Edit: The quest is called "In Her Mother's Footsteps."

wait, you can upgrade the spear? welp. I already finished the story...
Since you've finished the story, you have the purple spear from Sylens. You're not missing anything.

Ulong

I killed a lot of shell walkers before they dropped the heart. It reminded me of playing monster hunter a bit where you farm one monster so much that they become trivially easy, and still never get the one damn part you need to build your new greatsword or whatever.

Woetyler

Honestly, i'm kind of disappointed. I was really excited to dive into this game, and I love open worlds, and everything about this game. But it just isn't grabbing me. Every time i have an option to play another game, I do. Anything i'm missing here gaf?

tmac456

Honestly, i'm kind of disappointed. I was really excited to dive into this game, and I love open worlds, and everything about this game. But it just isn't grabbing me. Every time i have an option to play another game, I do. Anything i'm missing here gaf?

how far into it are you?

Skeletron

What the hell is this? Do you know where this side mission is?
It's like the first sidequest you encounter. Injured dude on the side of the road, I think his name is Taim, lost his spear to a Scrapper and his daughter went off to retrieve it. After completing the quest some text pops up saying you got +1 spear damage or something. I didn't notice the first time since I had the HUD off but I just watched my girl play through the intro last night.

cobell

It's to the point where i haven't even gotten myself to the proving. My friend says it opens up even more after that, but i tried playing again and got side tracked.

Your mileage may vary, but I was in a similar state. Kind of bored, but then finally hit the Proving and it got much more interesting to me.

Woetyler

Your mileage may vary, but I was in a similar state. Kind of bored, but then finally hit the Proving and it got much more interesting to me.

Yeah, i'm really weighing on that. I just want to enjoy this game finally. I've only seen positive reviews from it, and i'm stuck here forcing myself to enjoy a game i should've been enjoying from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom