• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
NcW6WbU.gif

The stormbird is just awesome .
I love everything about it .

I wanted to mount the Stormbird, but alas...

Still they have to make it a skill that you get last or really hard to get .
The strombird just destroys everything in the game .
It you could fly about with it the game would become so easy even on very hard lol.

shiba5

All of the creature designs are incredible. Even the simpler models like the grazers and lancehorns have really cool animations - like scratching behind their ear with a back hoof. I love watching them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe the engine isn't quite there yet to handle flying mounts? Hopefully we don't have to wait until the ps5 haha

The game would have to be designed with flying mounts in mind as they would quite easily break just about every aspect of the game.

So much can be done with overriding the machines, it's crazy..

Beat the game, it says I'm missing like 6 hidden trophies, are those mostly just collecting everything, hitting all the spots on the map and getting all machines overridden?

LiK

Maybe have a set timer for overriding big machines like the Stormbird and Thunderjaws. Would've been a fun romp post-game.

Brine

So much can be done with overriding the machines, it's crazy..

Beat the game, it says I'm missing like 6 hidden trophies, are those mostly just collecting everything, hitting all the spots on the map and getting all machines overridden?

You can look at hidden trophies by pressing square when bringing them up, but I'm pretty sure you're right anyways

I do have a problem with the gameplay and its pretty annoying. The grass getting in the way while trying to fight any flying enemies. Fighting and keeping track of the Stormbird while its flying around gets annoying when you cant see what you are doing because the camera dips below the grass. I would love for a patch to come through that makes it transparent.

I always try to go into battle with a machine override.

There was a side quest where I had to infiltrate a slave outpost and I left a Strider at the front gate. I sneaked in and took everyone out and helped the slaves and unsurprisingly there was the main group waiting at the gate. My Strider was right behind them though and hit them from the back and took out a few with its back kick.

Felt good.

RollTIde1017

Neo Member
Is there a way to get back to the Proving area (mountain with the tentacles)? I've been trying to find a way up the mountain but haven't had any luck so far?

I have the same question about the overlook where Aloy gets her name at the beginning of the game (which becomes the games title screen), haven't been able to find that spot either?

shiba5

The rewards for collectibles are god awful. What the hell.

Yeah, they really are. Especially since I didn't get them all until I was done with the main story.
And some of them can be difficult to get - like the flower in the middle of two Thunderjaws or vantage near a Stormbird, etc...

The rewards for collectibles are god awful. What the hell.

Yeah in the sequel (or with the expansion) I hope Guerilla adds more variety in things to acquire as well as purpose for all the non-ammo resources you get. Once you get the top tier weapons/armor all the lenses and hearts you get become useless and there's nothing to do with all the metal shards because you get plenty of the material needed for ammo just through regular gameplay.

I love the game, but it definitely fees like you "max out" too quickly.

fought my first thunderjaw today. it was in the zeta cauldron. i got it down to about 1/4 of health but the area was too small and cramped. that thing is huge! what i did on my 2nd try was take out the two watchers and lay down fire wires all around the room before releasing it so it kept walking into them! easy fight even if it is cheating a bit.

currently heading towards the "The Grave-Hoard" quest. i hate fast travelling but not as much having to keep on walking from one end of a map to another. i literally have to go from the far NW corner to far NE corner. Just fast travelled to mothers crown and i'll make my way up.

as far as i understand the story now.
the eclipse are after aloy because she looks like elizabeth who worked at FAS. they created robots and they lost control of them and threatened the end of civilization but elizabeth has a plan called "Zero Dawn" that she was working on.

i think that
Zero Dawn is elizabeth that has somehow managed to survive all these years or she's preserved her DNA and aloy is her daughter.
still too early to really have a clear idea but the story really has me hooked!

JJShadow

I just went to my usual Amazon Locker (Nottingham) to pick up a delivery and found this:

S37dzzr.jpg

Pretty cool, even the display where you introduce the code was playing a trailer lol

fought my first thunderjaw today. it was in the zeta cauldron. i got it down to about 1/4 of health but the area was too small and cramped. that thing is huge! what i did on my 2nd try was take out the two watchers and lay down fire wires all around the room before releasing it so it kept walking into them! easy fight even if it is cheating a bit.

currently heading towards the "The Grave-Hoard" quest. i hate fast travelling but not as much having to keep on walking from one end of a map to another. i literally have to go from the far NW corner to far NE corner. Just fast travelled to mothers crown and i'll make my way up.

as far as i understand the story now.
the eclipse are after aloy because she looks like elizabeth who worked at FAS. they created robots and they lost control of them and threatened the end of civilization but elizabeth has a plan called "Zero Dawn" that she was working on.

i think that
Zero Dawn is elizabeth that has somehow managed to survive all these years or she's preserved her DNA and aloy is her daughter.
still too early to really have a clear idea but the story really has me hooked!

Enjoy! :)

I've killed all but one robot. The last one left is this weird blocky looking one on the bottom right of the bestiary. Is that directly related to the story? I feel like I covered the entire map already.

Mathieran

Banned
Yeah in the sequel (or with the expansion) I hope Guerilla adds more variety in things to acquire as well as purpose for all the non-ammo resources you get. Once you get the top tier weapons/armor all the lenses and hearts you get become useless and there's nothing to do with all the metal shards because you get plenty of the material needed for ammo just through regular gameplay.

I love the game, but it definitely fees like you "max out" too quickly.

Yeah I would like them to deepen the loot/gear a little bit more. I don't want it to be like MH where I have to fight something 50 or more times to get a piece that goes toward one item of gear. But so far I haven't needed anything from the thunder jaws I killed other than the mods. Seems weird.

It also seems like I've needed drops from animals way more than from the robots.

I'm sure they will learn from the few mistakes they made for Horizon 2.

I swear, with every layer of the Old One's history that gets peeled back the story just gets more and more intriguing. I played a part called
The Makers End
. I have only been able to put 2 hours in since Wed the 8th cause I've been hella busy. I love the sense of discovery in this game. My motivation to uncover this mystery is so connected with Aloy's same goals that it really connects me with this story and world.

bombshell

I've killed all but one robot. The last one left is this weird blocky looking one on the bottom right of the bestiary. Is that directly related to the story? I feel like I covered the entire map already.

Did you scan it? What is it called in the machine notebook?

Edit: Bottom right most? That is
not a specific machine, but an entry to tell you the characteristics of all corrupted machines

I swear, with every layer of the Old One's history that gets peeled back the story just gets more and more intriguing. I played a part called
The Makers End
. I have only been able to put 2 hours in since Wed the 8th cause I've been hella busy. I love the sense of discovery in this game. My motivation to uncover this mystery is so connected with Aloy's same goals that it really connects me with this story and world.

That mission is the main trigger of the game. It only gets better!

Did you scan it? What is it called in the machine notebook?

Edit: Bottom right most? That is
not a specific machine, but an entry to tell you the characteristics of all corrupted machines
No, not that. It looks like it's a large machine with multiple large square blocks and small legs. I think it's one or two over from what you said.

bombshell

Another thing I just found, Jan-Bart van Beek (Art Director / Original Concept) re-tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/IamMagGamer/status/842497113019834368
There is nothing better than a Great game announcing DLC.
Horzion Zero Dawn adding to its greatness.

https://t.co/yLiMsyQWwi

He didn't get the same memo as Mathijs de Jonge. ;)

Mathijs deleting his tweet made no sense, because the announcement of DLC that he referred to in his tweet was literally made by Hermen in the sales number press release.

Yeah, that'll pop in a main story mission.

Edit Bombshell is probably right. I was thinking of the
Deathbringer

Yeah I would like them to deepen the loot/gear a little bit more. I don't want it to be like MH where I have to fight something 50 or more times to get a piece that goes toward one item of gear. But so far I haven't needed anything from the thunder jaws I killed other than the mods. Seems weird.

It also seems like I've needed drops from animals way more than from the robots.

I'm sure they will learn from the few mistakes they made for Horizon 2.

Yeah I definitely don't want it to turn into a grindfest, or a Darksiders to Darksiders II situation where they make it more Diablo-esque and have too many weapons due to needless statistics.

But just more things to buy in general - maybe break up outfits into armor and helmets and boots (and give us the option to turn off the horrible headgear). Or a merchant where you can turn in lenses and hearts and assemble your own weapon through mix-and-matching. It'd be kind of awesome if you could assemble a Hardpoint/Corruption/Tearblaster Bow and name it. Things like that.

Another thing I just found, Jan-Bart van Beek (Art Director / Original Concept) re-tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/IamMagGamer/status/842497113019834368
There is nothing better than a Great game announcing DLC.
Horzion Zero Dawn adding to its greatness.

https://t.co/yLiMsyQWwi

He didn't get the same memo as Mathijs de Jonge. ;)
You know I'm curious; why didn't he changed his twitter name to horizon zero jan-bart van beek? Seems like every gg employee is doing it

Jinaar

Just platinum'ed the game. Originally, I did everything but the main quest lines and got real fatigued by the game, to the point I don't think I was really enjoying it much. But once I started again on the main quest lines, it became a true joy once more. The environments popped out and the information about the history of everything shined thru. I even cared for some characters. I really enjoyed when the game was just the main story experience.

Side quests weren't necessary inspiring or interesting. I feel the devs, in the beginning of the game, had a lot of cool takes on how societies stumble in their lives and create/fabricate answers to questions to help make the world become understandable. They could have strived a tad more in that direction and I would have ate it up.

Game was a pleasure in the end to finish.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

It's a corrupted machine, but weird that you have not killed one of those before killing all the others. I came across those early on. The last machine I killed was a Stormbird.

It's a corrupted machine, but weird that you have not killed one of those before killing all the others. I came across those early on. The last machine I killed was a Stormbird.

You have to scan them, not just kill them.
My last two were the Rockbreaker and the Red Eye Watcher.

Krakin

One of them was a game that was going to be impossible to make," says art director Michiel van der Leeuw. "It had the most grand characters, time travel, and the most brilliant locations, and if you just look at it, you'd be like, yeah it's insane, it's beautiful, it's really entertaining, but I don't know how we could ever have made that.

www.glixel.com/news/how-horizon-zero-dawn-transformed-guerrilla-games-w472564

You shouldn't have said anything GG. Now I want this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom