• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I saw a new enemy behavior I had never seen before in 50+ hours of play. After knocking a Shell Walker's shell off of their back with a tearblast arrow, if they are left alone, they will their pick their shell up with their claw arm and hold it on their back while scuttling away. I'm sure it's been well observed, but I normally attack the Shell Walker's arms first, so I never had a chance to see that animation.

Makes me wonder how many of those one-off animations or unique behaviors are in this game that most people will never see?

Brine

Oh ok, yeah you will fight one in the main quest, they don't roam the wild like the others.

In one mission technically it was in the wild cause you didn't have to fight it and could just run past it, the one
where the Nora lands got invaded. I thought you had to fight that and the corruptor near it, lost all my health pots that day.

Nyx

Having a lot of trouble fighting 2 corruptors and a bunch of humans at the same time. Trying to shoot off parts with tearblast arrows and then setiing them on fire, but I'm taking too much damage myself because so many things are after me.

Probably need to raise my roll and jump game.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
In one mission technically it was in the wild cause you didn't have to fight it and could just run past it, the one
where the Nora lands got invaded. I thought you had to fight that and the corruptor near it, lost all my health pots that day.

The machine he is referring to is a
Deathbringer.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Man, nothing like seeing an overridden Stormbird do a Cole McGrath thunderdrop on a Snapmaw from afar. This game is a thing of beauty.

Also, I have to say Guerrilla done good with the lore in this game being such a huge departure for them.

Well done.

Baliis

fought my first thunderjaw today. it was in the zeta cauldron. i got it down to about 1/4 of health but the area was too small and cramped. that thing is huge! what i did on my 2nd try was take out the two watchers and lay down fire wires all around the room before releasing it so it kept walking into them! easy fight even if it is cheating a bit.

currently heading towards the "The Grave-Hoard" quest. i hate fast travelling but not as much having to keep on walking from one end of a map to another. i literally have to go from the far NW corner to far NE corner. Just fast travelled to mothers crown and i'll make my way up.

as far as i understand the story now.
the eclipse are after aloy because she looks like elizabeth who worked at FAS. they created robots and they lost control of them and threatened the end of civilization but elizabeth has a plan called "Zero Dawn" that she was working on.

i think that
Zero Dawn is elizabeth that has somehow managed to survive all these years or she's preserved her DNA and aloy is her daughter.
still too early to really have a clear idea but the story really has me hooked!

I swear, with every layer of the Old One's history that gets peeled back the story just gets more and more intriguing. I played a part called
The Makers End
. I have only been able to put 2 hours in since Wed the 8th cause I've been hella busy. I love the sense of discovery in this game. My motivation to uncover this mystery is so connected with Aloy's same goals that it really connects me with this story and world.

The reveal for all the old world stuff is so good. Everything you learn answers so many questions but leaves you with just enough more to want to keep going and find out what's next.

I've started to find out about what happened to the old world. Without any spoilers I have to say the audio logs portray a really interesting and bleak end to the world. I just want to hear more about it now, I don't care about Meridian or any of that shit. Moar info!

The bit about the
civilians basically being used as a meat shield to hold back the machines and I'm assuming given false hope that Zero Dawn can save them has been sad and fascinating to hear.

Xeilyn

Just beat the game, amazing experience. Loved the world, loved Aloy, loved the machines and their incredible design and i never got tired of the combat. Good and intriguing story aswell.

Well done GG

Suplexer

I am getting absolutely destroyed by EVERYTHING. I must be missing something about the combat or maybe the crafting system.

I don't feel that deep into the game (the mission I am on is titled "Into the Borderlands") yet every enemy is destroying me in about two hits and it takes me a good ten minutes to kill two or three enemies. My bow does seemingly no damage and I never have enough resources/my pack is too full to pick up ammo resources making it almost impossible to craft special ammo.

Is this intentional? I almost feel like I am playing a survival horror game...Nonetheless, I am enjoying it, but there has to be something I am doing wrong.

Having a lot of trouble fighting 2 corruptors and a bunch of humans at the same time. Trying to shoot off parts with tearblast arrows and then setiing them on fire, but I'm taking too much damage myself because so many things are after me.

What I did is take out the snipers up top first and sniped the corrupters from up top. That was the 1 story mission that I struggled thru as well until I found that spot up top.

bombshell

I am getting absolutely destroyed by EVERYTHING. I must be missing something about the combat or maybe the crafting system.

I don't feel that deep into the game (the mission I am on is titled "Into the Borderlands") yet every enemy is destroying me in about two hits and it takes me a good ten minutes to kill two or three enemies. My bow does seemingly no damage and I never have enough resources/my pack is too full to pick up ammo resources making it almost impossible to craft special ammo.

Is this intentional? I almost feel like I am playing a survival horror game...Nonetheless, I am enjoying it, but there has to be something I am doing wrong.

Are you scanning the machines to highlight the weak points? After that it's about studying the machine notebook entries to find out which type of ammo is best for which parts on the different machines. Soon you'll have most of it memorized.

RDreamer

Tear arrows, traps, and hit weak points.

First, make sure you upgrade your resource capacity to 100 ASAP. Then go sell some things that you might have a ton of to make room, along with anything that just says it's for selling/trading only.

"I've seen a lot of things and experienced a lot of things in the industry that would lead you to become cynical and disillusioned," says Gonzalez. "I don't find that to be the case here. I feel like the level of ambition here is really high, but I don't feel like the ambition is high for external reasons, like wanting to be masters of the universe. It's high because people really care about the quality of the product. I just feel like I don't want to step away from that, you know? This is a place where I can improve myself, can bring myself to the work. I want to stay as close to that as I can."

Yes, don't let the man leave the place!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've done
side stories so far, with the fancy armour one still open, and some hunter lodge still to do (my next one is
deadliest game
)

Any idea how many other side quests / errands are out there?

I've done
side stories so far, with the fancy armour one still open, and some hunter lodge still to do (my next one is
deadliest game
)

Yeah,
22 side (counting Lodge and everything) 14 Errands.

I've done
deadliest game
)

I could be wrong as not at home right now, but i want to say
side quests and
errands.

Edit: Beaten by Mega Sackman.

JonnyKong

So should I be trying to buy as many weapons and outfits as I possibly can, or is just one purple version of each enough?

Also, I don't know why I've spent so long running away scared from the more intimidating looking machines, just defeated three hawks and two snapjaws quite easily.

I think I know what bit you're talking about and you can cheese that fight if you stay high

JJShadow

So should I be trying to buy as many weapons and outfits as I possibly can, or is just one purple version of each enough?

Also, I don't know why I've spent so long running away scared from the more intimidating looking machines, just defeated three hawks and two snapjaws quite easily.

You should aim to get the purple version of each weapon asap, as they offer three slots for different ammo. Don't bother buying the blue version if you have enough shards for the purple one

Regarding the outfits, I recommend buying at least the one that offers melee attack resistance (purple version), as most of the damage you'll take will come from melee attacks. You can also add two mods to this one to more melee resistance or elemental resistance

Fought my first Thunderjaw today.
It was actually the corrupted one from the main story missions.
Such a great time. They really nailed the sense the scale and methodically dismembering machine components just doesn't get old.

JonnyKong

I only discovered today how brilliant the ropecaster is

I'm still yet to realise this, I can't help but wonder if I'm somehow doing it wrong, which I realise sounds incredibly silly. Once you've unleashed the required amount of ropes at a machine, is it tied down permanently until death, or will it eventually break free? Every time I use it, the machine is still able to come at me and melee me so I find it pointless.

bombshell

Which box should I buy for fatty meat resource?

When I had trouble with my luck getting a particular animal bone I read that the "dark scavenger" or something close to that name has a chance to give a bone or a skin (not always). It's bough with processed metal and I bought a big bunch of the boxes and got the bone that I was after. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I think that box always gave me various meat resources, so I was swimming in meat for health potions afterwards.

Edit: "Scavenger Dark Box" is the name and yes it gives fat meat.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I think I read somewhere in this thread that the fight with the 2 corruptors and the cultists can be easy if you use the log piles scattered around the site, that you can shoot down. I did it the old fashioned way.

Assuming it's the same thing I am thinking about, when you come up on
Olin and the cultist leader.

shiba5

I'm still yet to realise this, I can't help but wonder if I'm somehow doing it wrong, which I realise sounds incredibly silly. Once you've unleashed the required amount of ropes at a machine, is it tied down permanently until death, or will it eventually break free? Every time I use it, the machine is still able to come at me and melee me so I find it pointless.

It will stay there until you do a certain amount of damage.
But, light/medium ropes will never hold a Stormbird or any of the big machines - you'll need the purple ropecaster for those.

bombshell

If you don't damage it when it's completely stunned by the ropes it will be caught for 90 seconds I think. Ropes will break much sooner if you damage the machine. So in fights with multiple dangerous machines it's a great tactic to fully rope one of them and let it be stunned while focusing on the rest of the machines.

ActWan

Is there any way to loot stuff that are underwater? I've killed a few Snapmaws while they were in a lake and some stuff just dropped to the bottom, with seemingly no way to pick them up.

JonnyKong

If you don't damage it when it's completely stunned by the ropes it will be caught for 90 seconds I think. Ropes will break much sooner if you damage the machine. So in fights with multiple dangerous machines it's a great tactic to fully rope one of them and let it be stunned while focusing on the rest of the machines.

This sounds very helpful, thankyou :)

I'm going to buy the purple ropecaster soon hopefully.

X-Frame

Does anyone else think that the movement speed when in Focus mode is a bit too slow?

I feel like maybe a 10% movement speed bump in Focus could help.

kriskrosbbk

When I had trouble with my luck getting a particular animal bone I read that the "dark scavenger" or something close to that name has a chance to give a bone or a skin (not always). It's bough with processed metal and I bought a big bunch of the boxes and got the bone that I was after. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I think that box always gave me various meat resources, so I was swimming in meat for health potions afterwards.

Edit: "Scavenger Dark Box" is the name and yes it gives fat meat.

thanks bud

Wollan

Does anyone else think that the movement speed when in Focus mode is a bit too slow?

But they did learn from a major mistake in Witcher 3 in that you had to keep 'focus' mode constantly to follow a track. In Horizon you enable the focus, hit R1 to mark track and then you can run full speed in normal mode with the track visible. Witcher 3 had you trudge through in super slow focus mode all the way (in addition it was heavily color filtered in that game).

Floody

I think it's to tell you you shouldn't really be moving around much with it up, it's simply just a scanning tool, not a thing you want on all the time because it just tells you more, like the Arkham games suffered from. Would be really annoying if they didn't let you press a button to keep the tracks up though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm having a tough time managing resources even with a fully upgraded resource pouch.

If you're fully upgraded then you're a bit into the game. Get your weapons and outfits sorted out and sell your lenses and hearts. I think it was mentioned here that lenses are for blue weapons and hearts for purple, so if you don't think you'll need any more blue weapons you can sell lenses now

Related to resources - why is there a merchant in meridian selling random crap like washing baskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom