• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad, because Kotaku's review sounds as if it could have been 8-9/10 easily.

Personally, I was never really convinced about getting this, primarily because I just don't have time and patience for open world RPG games, but since my son expressed interest in playing this, I'll be getting it day one :)
This seems to be a far less bloated and streamlined RPG. It might be more manageable for you.

I don't like complaining about reviews opinions and I've been avoiding reviews but that usgamer 50% score seems ridiculous.

I don't need a consensus but this is clearly not a 50% game.

jennetics

Reading that US Gamer review was...interesting. She doesn't like the repetitive nature of the side missions, doesn't like Aloy being sarcastic, doesn't like the story, but likes the open world aspect of the game, controls, and graphics. And overall calls it disappointing. I'm not sure how that relates to a 5/10 but, yeah, opinions and stuff. Really glad, though, that the game is otherwise very well received.

And then I read Giant Bomb's review and I'm wondering what's with US Gamer.
By the end, Horizon comes to a satisfying conclusion in a way that left me feeling like they should probably never make a sequel. It's a near-perfect story that creates a world and also provides meaningful answers about said world. Not to soapbox about it, but games don't do that often enough anymore.

Super pumped for this game!

Let me preface my remarks by stating that I am not going to impugn the quality of a game I haven't played. Horizon could very well be a very good game.

However, looking at my own history, my own measure of my absolutely favorite and best games, compared against their review and metacritic scores......there is absolutely no correlation between high review scores and games that I enjoy.

I have played games with 90+ metacritic that I absolutely hated - Bioshock Infinite

My favorite game of all time - Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has...

an 88 Metacritic for PS4
a 78 Metacritic on 3DS (despite being the exact same game - a 10 pt difference)
and a no-score on the Wii U version because there weren't enough professional reviewers of that version to muster 4 whole reviews.

We typically get PS4-only reviews despite the fact that a lot of games (not this one) release on Xbox One as well. For those games that get reviewed on both, typically one system is favored over another.

This is just a long way of saying I simply don't trust reviews anymore. You simply cannot trust an aggregate. Too much sociological and herd bias. Find a reviewer your trust, learn their taste and measure their review accordingly.

For example, I loved Roger Ebert when it came to film reviews. We agreed maybe 60-70%. If we agree so infrequently, why did I love reading his reviews and taking them to heart? Because I knew his biases. I knew he liked spectacle films with little substance - Jurassic Park. I knew he hated films that were exploitative - he had a soft spot. All these known biases, helped me determine if I would like a film if he liked it. With aggregates you miss all of that.

My favorite game of all time before Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was Guardian Heroes for the Sega Saturn. A cult classic for sure, but it didn't light the charts or the reviews on fire. Mystaria is another. I liked GTA III and GTA: Vice City, but hated San Andreas, GTA IV and have yet to play V because of my declining interest in it. Yet, the series is just "The best game ever" with 90+ metacritic.

My own personal history and favorite games ever would never have been experienced if I followed the reviews. Which is to say, as an aggregate I don't believe games are reviewed properly. The culture has it all wrong.

airjoca

Never watched him. Then again I don't really watch channels for reviews. Does he actually do good analysis?

I made the mistake of not watching Double Toasted for movie reviews until a few months ago, so broadening horizons and all that

Movie reviews: Chris Stuckmann. Best channel for movie reviews.

I've not actually seen much of this but the gameplay i have watch reminded me of Ubisoft open-world games, large mostly empty maps with collectables or repetitive activities scattered about. Is that not the case here, then? Looking at the quotes from reviews here it seems they don't really answer that.

Elandyll

Banned
I don't like complaining about reviews opinions and I've been avoiding reviews but that usgamer 50% score seems ridiculous.

I don't need a consensus but this is clearly not a 50% game.
#shrug

It's an obvious outlier, being the one and -only- score under 7 out of ... what, 75 reviews now? (And the lowest out of only -4- scores under 8/10).

Doesn't bother me one bit, and she is absolutely entitled to her opinion (visibly neither the game or the protag clicked with her) but I actually feel bad for her because I can't imagine the kind of comments/ tweets/ emails she got for it. I hope she didn't receive ridiculous threats, but if the past is any indication of how things go... I do feel bad for her.

Proxy

Let me preface my remarks by stating that I am not going to impugn the quality of a game I haven't played. Horizon could very well be a very good game.

However, looking at my own history, my own measure of my absolutely favorite and best games, compared against their review and metacritic scores......there is absolutely no correlation between high review scores and games that I enjoy.

I have played games with 90+ metacritic that I absolutely hated - Bioshock Infinite

an 88 Metacritic for PS4
and a no-score on the Wii U version because there weren't enough professional reviewers of that version to muster 4 whole reviews.

We typically get PS4-only reviews despite the fact that a lot of games (not this one) release on Xbox One as well. For those games that get reviewed on both, typically one system is favored over another.

This is just a long way of saying I simply don't trust reviews anymore. You simply cannot trust an aggregate. Too much sociological and herd bias. Find a reviewer your trust, learn their taste and measure their review accordingly.

For example, I loved Roger Ebert when it came to film reviews. We agreed maybe 60-70%. If we agree so infrequently, why did I love reading his reviews and taking them to heart? Because I knew his biases. I knew he liked spectacle films with little substance - Jurassic Park. I knew he hated films that were exploitative - he had a soft spot. All these known biases, helped me determine if I would like a film if he liked it. With aggregates you miss all of that.

My favorite game of all time before Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was Guardian Heroes for the Sega Saturn. A cult classic for sure, but it didn't light the charts or the reviews on fire. Mystaria is another. I liked GTA III and GTA: Vice City, but hated San Andreas, GTA IV and have yet to play V because of my declining interest in it. Yet, the series is just "The best game ever" with 90+ metacritic.

My own personal history and favorite games ever would never have been experienced if I followed the reviews. Which is to say, as an aggregate I don't believe games are reviewed properly. The culture has it all wrong.

So basically... You don't like the fact this game got excellent reviews?

LotusHD

Banned

Man, just play what you like then, damn.

I've not actually seen much of this but the gameplay i have watch reminded me of Ubisoft open-world games, large mostly empty maps with collectables or repetitive activities scattered about. Is that not the case here, then? Looking at the quotes from reviews here it seems they don't really answer that.

It's not the case. Well maybe a little in terms of repetitiveness, everything else, nah.

Memento

an 88 Metacritic for PS4

Ok?

an 88 Metacritic for PS4

LOL. Man this game being good bothers peeps.

shandy706

Why does it seem like FOREEEEEEVER before I get to play this still. Come on time....hurry up.

I'm almost done with Uncharted 4 (literally right at the end of it). I do have Halo Wars 2 to get through...so maybe I'll finish it in the mean time. Just got Gears 4 in the mail, but I'll probably put it to the side and play Horizon first.

reKon

Banned
Why does it seem like FOREEEEEEVER before I get to play this still. Come on time....hurry up.

I'm almost done with Uncharted 4 (literally right at the end of it). I do have Halo Wars 2 to get through...so maybe I'll finish it in the mean time. Just got Gears 4 in the mail, but I'll probably put it to the side and play Horizon first.

almost makes me wish the review embargo was like 2-3 days before the game. This will be a long wait

So basically... You don't like the fact this game got excellent reviews?

Where do you get that idea?

I am saying review aggregates are meaningless and filled with sociological and cultural bias. They won't remove bias, they amplify them.

Nioh is only 1 pt off with an 87. I am sure there is a world of difference between the two games that cannot be explained by a 1 pt difference.

I am not shitting on any specific game in general, just the process of aggregate reviews.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

an 88 Metacritic for PS4

You've admitted several times on this forum you are going "Nintendo only" from now on. Instead of looking at reviewer bias and herd mentality you should probably look inward and ask yourself why you felt the need to post this for a game you have no intention of playing.

Ah i see random engine came in just on time!

Shogun Gamer 10/10

Now that I’ve dumped damned near 60 hours into the game, completed the story, reaped the rewards of both the hardware and story achievements the game produces and have no intention of stopping my play through yet… I must admit that I am glad that the PR team handled things the way that they did.

You see the mystery of the robotic animals and post-apocalyptic landscape in the first videos released are an extension of the story and something that each player should come to realize on their first play-through. It’s unique in that and I appreciate everything that led us up to this moment.

Not only that, but it fires on all cylinders as a game that plays well, introduces new and unique combat mechanics, and expands on a host of game franchises that we are already familiar with/enjoy. There’s no weak point in this title as far as I’m concerned and it serves as an example of how Sony is really doing work to make the best of their exclusive content.

LOL. Man this game being good bothers peeps.

I think reading is not your strong suit. The quality of the game doesn't bother me. Good games existing doesn't bother me, what a strange idea. Using an aggregate review score to measure a game is what bothers me as it has lead to failure in the past. They are not indicative of game quality.

Play the games you like. Read the individual reviewers you like, trust, and know their biases.

an 88 Metacritic for PS4

But I don't like Binding of Isaac and I love Jurassic Park... what do I do now? :/

I think reading is not your strong suit. The quality of the game doesn't bother me. Good games existing doesn't bother me, what a strange idea. Using an aggregate review score to measure a game is what bothers me as it has lead to failure in the past. They are not indicative of game quality.

Play the games you like. Read the individual reviewers you like, trust, and know their biases.

Oh yeah, sure, I think many of us knows this. Oh and great games aren't lost, it's a weird case when that happens.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

A game you have no intention of playing getting a good score obviously does bother you. Do you really expect anyone to believe you will be posting things like this in the Zelda review thread? lol?

Your post history tells it all, you are transparent. It's OK, I'll play Horizon and Zelda, best of both worlds.

Looking at the tons of 8/10s, it seems the narrative/tropes have shortcomings, but the higher scores seem to weigh the combat above it.

So for a sequel, I hope they properly learn from their mistakes and really expand on the narrative. Seems they can do just that if they hire the right people, and so Im expecting the sequel to be even bigger.

For a first effort, and for a game out of their genre, the scores are astonishingly strong, and I bet the sales will be too. But this also means Horizon 2 will do even better, and maybe Horizon 3 on PS5 will be a guaranteed reliable hit if GG makes a launch title.

It's awesome to see GG become a juggernaut for Sony.

This is Guerilla Games' TLOU moment, when they announce themselves on the world stage as a world class developer.

Because not only is this a great game, it's technically a new bar. Something that TLOU didn't do at the time of release for sure. So it's something special in that regard.

You've admitted several times on this forum you are going "Nintendo only" from now on. Instead of looking at reviewer bias and herd mentality you should probably look inward and ask yourself why you felt the need to post this for a game you have no intention of playing.

I live in a household. I am not a single "forever alone" gamer. I have a wife and child. I own a PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U (incl. 3DS, Vita, PS3, and soon to be Switch). I also have a gaming-capable PC.

*I* am going Nintendo only. However, my wife continues to play Playstation games. They are her systems and if she wants a game, I research and purchase it for her. She is currently playing through the Mass Effect Trilogy.

My son and I on the other hand are Nintendo-only. He only seems interested in Nintendo, so he can play Playstation all he wants, he just chooses not to.

Since my wife is a big fan of Tomb Raider (the sole reason I bought an Xbox One for her the Christmas Rise of the Tomb Raider was released), Horizon seemed like a good fit for her. That means I have to research the game, evaluate whether she will enjoy it. She isn't a core gamer like me.

With my vast experience, 30 years of gaming, on almost all of the systems, I can say that if I followed only aggregate review scores for games, I would have missed out on many of my absolute favorite games over the years.

Maybe it's ok for someone to point that out. The game could still be really good - I have no idea, I haven't played it. But no need to get salty just because I am making a valid point based on decades of my own experience.

Looking great, even though I was going to see for myself. Excited to try this out soon, good on Guerilla for trying something new and seemingly reaching new heights.

Memento

Looking at the tons of 8/10s, it seems the narrative/tropes have shortcomings, but the higher scores seem to weigh the combat above it.

So for a sequel, I hope they properly learn from their mistakes and really expand on the narrative. Seems they can do just that if they hire the right people, and so Im expecting the sequel to be even bigger.

For a first effort, and for a game out of their genre, the scores are astonishingly strong, and I bet the sales will be too. But this also means Horizon 2 will do even better, and maybe Horizon 3 on PS5 will be a guaranteed reliable hit if GG makes a launch title.

It's awesome to see GG become a juggernaut for Sony.

In fact the story seems to be one of the game's highlights. Which is amazing since I think we all expected this aspect of the game being nothing special.

Most reviewers are praising the story and the character. John Gonzales is the man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom