• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My frustration doesn't solely lie with that single poster just the overall vibe I get when people try to discuss console exclusives. It feels like you can't even have your own damn opinion anymore until six months after a game has released when the hype has died down. Review threads for exclusives have been absolutely awful for almost a decade because of it. Like, it's not even posters that are trolling that get jumped on. I mean sure there are SOME trolls but I've regularly seen well thought out posts get completely shit on and it gets tiresome after awhile. Normally I just lurk threads and watch the ridiculousness unfold from afar, but after seeing so many review threads turn out the exact same way, it gets tiresome. But I won't derail any further.

No one forces you to come into these threads or read them, it ain't hard. You coming in and shit posting is helping things how?

Lets go!

internet-fight.gif

To tout my own horn a bit, from the first gameplay preview I said this is going to be a GOTY candidate and meta i called 88 on the nose.

This one really just felt special from the moment I saw it in action. The sequel is so easy to build on, I think and hope we're in for a beautiful franchise with more amazing stories to be told.

Got my collectors edition lock and ready, 2 days after my birthday, I'll be hunting robodinos baby

My frustration doesn't solely lie with that single poster just the overall vibe I get when people try to discuss console exclusives. It feels like you can't even have your own damn opinion anymore until six months after a game has released when the hype has died down. Review threads for exclusives have been absolutely awful for almost a decade because of it. Like, it's not even posters that are trolling that get jumped on. I mean sure there are SOME trolls but I've regularly seen well thought out posts get completely shit on and it gets tiresome after awhile. Normally I just lurk threads and watch the ridiculousness unfold from afar, but after seeing so many review threads turn out the exact same way, it gets tiresome. But I won't derail any further.

Who's your contact? lol

Question have you been in HZD threads before ?
For the past year all of them have been full of trolls and stupid shit .
This thread is rather tame compare to other HZD threads.

You can bet if reviews were not as good things would have gotten really crazy .
I mean all games have that sort of stuff happening but HZD threads were worst i have ever seen on gaf .

I hate it when devs have to reach a certain MC score to get a bonus. We all know how difficult it is to get a 90+ nowadays and with more outlets using the 1-5 scale, that's just going to get more difficult.

As for the USG review, there's really nothing that can be done about that now. It's a party pooper considering all the glowing reviews but it's already there. We're better off just forgetting about it and instead enjoy the game. I'll play it right this second if I could but I'm a pleb who have to wait one more week. Haha!

My god, voting for this year's GOTY will be incredibly difficult.

80-89 scores will just become in the next few years the new 90+, so I wouldn't worry.

Zakalwe

Banned
Don't you dare say that.

It's going to happen. Believe.

I want it to go up if anything, GG are a great company.

Helps me since I occasionally enjoy telling people to fuck off

but just occasionally

This was the quote it stemmed from:

88 in the Metacritic is good now? Or is this game getting a free pass just because?

That's a shitpost. People calling it a shitpost is /not/ an example of people with a valid negative concern being pilled on by rabid fans.

Stop it.

Carcetti

The console wars are the worst relic of bygone ages that still afflict games as a hobby.

Imagine how stupid it would be if cinephiles shat on a great new movie because it was filmed on the wrong camera or being shown in the wrong theaters? Yeah, that stupid.

The Lamp

The console wars are the worst relic of bygone ages that still afflict games as a hobby.

Imagine how stupid it would be if cinephiles shat on a great new movie because it was filmed on the wrong camera or being shown in the wrong theaters? Yeah, that stupid.

When it comes to graphics and videography/photography snobs, I've seen them do this.

It's not like you need to own different cameras or types of blu-ray players to watch different movies, or you'd see the same thing.

The only cure to this is a one-console system industry or a definitive industry leader among the pack.

I hate it when devs have to reach a certain MC score to get a bonus. We all know how difficult it is to get a 90+ nowadays and with more outlets using the 1-5 scale, that's just going to get more difficult.

As for the USG review, there's really nothing that can be done about that now. It's a party pooper considering all the glowing reviews but it's already there. We're better off just forgetting about it and instead enjoy the game. I'll play it right this second if I could but I'm a pleb who have to wait one more week. Haha!

Times have changed...you have the likes of witcher 3 and bloodborne scoring mc's below skyward sword. its not a dig at zelda but just an indication of how things are with AAA reviews.You have to be a masterpiece among masterpieces to get that score if youre not a nintendo first party ip to get that score these days
this game has 9s and 10s across the board and with less outliers than the number of fingers on my hand.
theres virtually no difference between a 90 and an 88 or even a 92.
theyre all solid as hell games which can still disappoint you or blow your mind like like its a 110/100

the whole marvel vs dc crap is no different. things would get way way worse if wb and disney opened their own exclusive screens to along them

You mean how people shit on movies because of certain directors?

Please.

Jesus dude, what is it with you and this game? You've been on people like a rabid pitbull every time they dare say something bad about the game. GG's gonna be okay man, you don't have to constantly defend them.

You are wasting your time with him, he's like that in every thread about this game. Just ignore and move on.

GameAxis 9.6

Horizon: Zero Dawn is clearly a labour of love from Guerilla Games, and it is quite frankly heartening to see a studio that can break out of its comfort zone (of making shooter games) with a new brilliant and polished IP. Through a combination of gorgeous graphics, art style, compelling gameplay and original premise, it is easily a must have game for any PS4 owners. On its own merits, this should also qualify as a reason to own a PS4 console too.

We are barely two months into 2017, and we already have a Game of the Year contender in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Bravo Guerilla Games.

If your DVD player could only play movies from certain publishers, the same thing would happen guaranteed.

9.6, enough to go up to 89? What stellar reviews.

A quote from the review for the "Ubisoft, Far Cry Crowd"

"Unlike many open world games, Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn't bog you down with repetitive and mostly unnecessary side quests that risk overwhelming players – here's looking at you Assassin's Creed and Far Cry. "

I haven't been on Rottentomatoes and such places in years (thank god) but I never saw it as bad as it's in gaming. Seriously.

It is just as bad for anything, this is not just a gaming thing, I have seen fights nearly break out over Ford versus Chevy. It's a human thing.

I went from having zero interest to pre-ordering. I'm still just not excitedoing by robots but the glowing reviews many of which citing story and character has swayed me.

Were you around for the HD DVD and Blu Ray war lol.

Dargor

I think that type of contract is gonna be changed for an 85+ going forward, for I feel that todays 85 is yesterdays 90.

Reviewers aren't throwing 10s like they used, which is a good thing IMHO.

I haven't been on Rottentomatoes and such places in years (thank god) but I never saw it as bad as it's in gaming. Seriously.

Not a fair comparison. Go to NeoGaf off topic, you have DC vs Marvel war regarding movies and other things.

Not a fair comparison. Go to NeoGaf off topic, you have DC vs Marvel war regarding movies and other things.

Marvel VS DC is way worse then any console war.

Civil War.

myco666

What the heck?...a game review thread has generated 100+ pages in a day? What in the what in the what?

Well it was important to discuss about if Bloodborne is new IP or not and how USGamer reviewer is not qualified to do reviews and that their opinion isn't valid.

9.6, enough to go up to 89? What stellar reviews.

A quote from the review for the "Ubisoft, Far Cry Crowd"

"Unlike many open world games, Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn’t bog you down with repetitive and mostly unnecessary side quests that risk overwhelming players – here’s looking at you Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry. "

It is just as bad for anything, this is not just a gaming thing, I have seen fights nearly break out over Ford versus Chevy. It's a human thing.
I mean it's obvious what's better

The how you play and not the what you play is a pox.

This hobby is easily the most immature of anything I enjoy.

I understand gamers have opinions but I think it's more of an added responsibility for professional reviewers than mere opinions. I expected reviewers who were a bit critical to encourage developers like GG to invest in different ideas, this is how we see new IPs, not when we say that yea the game is good but gonna be forgettable

I think the issue some people have had with a few of the low scoring reviews, was they might have been a bit too critical, with their own opinions because looking at pretty much every other review, it's clearly a well made and really good game.

For me, a good professional review should give us details and facts about the game, how it plays, how it sounds, story details (without spoilers of course) is the performance good or buggy, so it can be critical but not get bogged down in personal opinion.

I mean, I'm no fan or Football but I have played Fifa and Pro Evo with friends and while it's not my thing, the games are well made and if I was reviewing them I wouldn't mark them down just because I don't like Football. I think that is a line that pro reviews have to be careful not to cross.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Have you ventured onto off topic in a DC or Marvel movie thread lately by any chance?

It's fine that someone has a different opinion on the game than the majority. Heck, she's not the only one, a few others from reputable outlets also aren't impressed by the open world, game design, story, etc.

But I've gotta say, I'm not a fan of how Kat Bailey has been on "defense mode" for their critique of Horizon on Twitter.

Garlador

Has any studio just outright switched genres so quickly and successfully as Guerrilla Games just did?

I am astounded by its technical performance and utter lack of any major day one patch. That alone is mind-boggling given the game's scope.

george_us

I went from having zero interest to pre-ordering. I'm still just not excitedoing by robots but the glowing reviews many of which citing story and character has swayed me.
Yeah this is me. I had a little bit of interest but most of the gameplay videos looked cool but left me wanting more. Then I saw Jim Sterling's review plus received some free Amazon credit. It was on then. Plus, to be honest, I want to support a game with a non-stereotypical protagonist.

Gradly

I think the issue some people have had with a few of the low scoring reviews, was they might have been a bit too critical, with their own opinions because looking at pretty much every other review, it's clearly a well made and really good game.

For me, a good professional review should give us details and facts about the game, how it plays, how it sounds, story details (without spoilers of course) is the performance good or buggy, so it can be critical but not get bogged down in personal opinion.

I mean, I'm no fan or Football but I have played Fifa and Pro Evo with friends and while it's not my thing, the games are well made and if I was reviewing them I wouldn't mark them down just because I don't like Football. I think that is a line that pro reviews have to be careful not to cross.

Yea exactly but you worded that better than me. I played Witcher 3 for 2 hours then I sold it cuz decided the game wasn't for me. If I was gonna review it as a GAMER for my own sake and taste I'd give it 3/10 but as a pro reviewer who writes for the millions of people it would be something else

Has any studio just outright switched genres so quickly and successfully as Guerrilla Games just did?

I am astounded by its technical performance and utter lack of any major day one patch. That alone is mind-boggling given the game's scope.

Rocksteady games went from a 7.3 PS2 shooter to Arkham Asylum a 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom