• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
What the heck?...a game review thread has generated 100+ pages in a day? What in the what in the what?

Good old videogame drama revolving around a major exclusive release. You know, metascore obsessing, constant comparisons to other big titles, list wars, shit posting due to feeling threatened by certain games... the usual.

LotusHD

Banned
I went from having zero interest to pre-ordering. I'm still just not excitedoing by robots but the glowing reviews many of which citing story and character has swayed me.

Lol I always find these posts funny. Where y'all say you don't really like the robots that much, but meh, you'll just get over it because of everything else. Yet that's the main appeal of the game lol

SomTervo

I am astounded by its technical performance and utter lack of any major day one patch. That alone is mind-boggling given the game's scope.

I think Guerrilla had some of the earliest access to the PS4 technology and some of the biggest support from Sony on Killzone: Shadow Fall. They seem to know how to build for the machine backwards and forwards.

They seem proud of their super-fast bootup too. Apparently Horizon takes seconds to get from boot up to main menu.

80-89 scores will just become in the next few years the new 90+, so I wouldn't worry.

Oh yeah, not worried at all. I have no stakes on that since I'm not a developer. Just stating that reviewers today no longer dish out perfect scores like they once did, so it'll be really unfortunate if people who develop excellent games won't get that bonus because because they fail to hit a certain MC threshold. And that's why I agree with what the following guy says:

I think that type of contract is gonna be changed for an 85+ going forward, for I feel that todays 85 is yesterdays 90.

Reviewers aren't throwing 10s like they used, which is a good thing IMHO.

And yes, that's a very good thing.

Were you around for the HD DVD and Blu Ray war lol.

Funny enough, that still tied in to the whole Sony vs MS narrative, with the former banking on Blu-ray and the latter on HD-DVD, Haha!

Garlador

I think Guerrilla had some of the earliest access to the PS4 technology and some of the biggest support from Sony on Killzone: Shadow Fall. They seem to know how to build for the machine backwards and forwards.

They seem proud of their super-fast bootup too. Apparently Horizon takes seconds to get from boot up to main menu.
They said the same thing about KZ:SF. Game booted up lightning quick straight to the menu screen.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just watched the Kinda Funny review. Good to hear their thoughts etc but why was that done as a video? There wasn't any visual element to the review, they were just sitting at a desk talking to each other. Couldn't that have just been done for the podcast?

reKon

Banned
In my experience anything 85+ seems to be really good in terms of overall experience. I hope that these publishers realize how much tougher it is these days if they are going to make their bonuses dependant on these thresholds. Don't be fucking cheap.

Valentus

i dont know imo its just the robo-dinosaur thing which makes it stand and exceptional aka ton of people wanted openworld action game with dinos for years ... I am pretty sure if it wasnt for unusual theme (aka if it had zombies instad btu everything else the same for example) it wouldnt had the such high praise

Now i want a Horizon Game with zombie-dinosaurs...

Has any studio just outright switched genres so quickly and successfully as Guerrilla Games just did?

I am astounded by its technical performance and utter lack of any major day one patch. That alone is mind-boggling given the game's scope.
I've never played a GG game but I've known of their technical prowess. They are legit.

Thorrgal

It's not about that. It's not 'offending' anyone.
I just think it's a bit petty to just take sides like that representing a gaming news outlet. But that's just me. I don't like circlejerks.

He's not "taking sides"... Noone would accuse a sports journalist of taking sides if he said the Patriots are killing it this century.

Yes save the game often. The game creates like 10-15 quick saves for you and like 3 auto saves so don't worry about overriding a previous save. You can manually save too.

Always save, the auto save is not used much, only after a goal is completed. If you are just hunting around and die you lose everything you did before the last campfire.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's strange with how positive the reviews have been that it's at 88 - I guess when you have 5 star ratings there's a lot of 4/5 reviews moving the needle towards 80%

Gradly

Hmmm there are 6 reviews that are still in progress and unscored based on Metacritic. Hopefully these will give a good push

8RKS8Ag.png

reKon

Banned
As soon as I saw this compared to The Witcher 3 I immediately lost interest. I'm getting really tired of open worlds.

From what I've seen this combat looks more fun and engaging than most open world game I've seen and even looks as good or even better as much linear games.

hydruxo

Just watched the Kinda Funny review. Good to hear their thoughts etc but why was that done as a video? There wasn't any visual element to the review, they were just sitting at a desk talking to each other. Couldn't that have just been done for the podcast?

Been a while since I've watched one of their reviews, but from what I remember that's just how they always do them. More of a discussion rather than an actual video review with gameplay.

tzare

lol, such a reductionist post. It is a lot different then the witcher, especially mechanically. Research is your friend.

i wonder what did people expect? it was well known that it was an open world game, so if someone is tired of those, just skip the game (or wait untilll interest on that genre recovers) and move on.
I am not interested in fps, so i won't go into a halo/cod/killzone thread to say i don't like fps or i am tired of them.lol

Gradly

Been a while since I've watched one of their reviews, but from what I remember that's just how they always do them. More of a discussion rather than an actual video review with gameplay.

I think to keep it as spoiler free as possible cuz honestly all video reviews I watched revealing a lot in terms of locations and characters etc

phant0m

This game would've been 90+ MC last gen. For better or worse (mostly better), critics have gotten tougher and adjusted their scales this gen.

Steroyd

This game would've been 90+ MC last gen. For better or worse (mostly better), critics have gotten tougher and adjusted their scales this gen.

That and various publications like Eurogamer have done away with scores altogether, which I assume doesn't contribute or become a detriment to the meta.

LifEndz

Glad this game turned out great. It's a big reason why I bought a pro and I'm really curious about the performance patch coming. Good job, GG.

SgtCobra

9 out of 10 times mc scores tend to go down tho.

It will end in 87-86 most probably.
That's what people said when it stood at 87, it's not happening unless some pretty "bad" scores come in. Remember metacritic already has over 70 reviews listed.

antyk

Pretty sure those don't give scores.

Too bad, because Kotaku's review sounds as if it could have been 8-9/10 easily.

Personally, I was never really convinced about getting this, primarily because I just don't have time and patience for open world RPG games, but since my son expressed interest in playing this, I'll be getting it day one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom