• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we comparing the order to Horizon? LIke the situations could not be more different. Horizon will sell more launch week then The Order did LTD.

Sales aside, Why Shouldn't we though?

They are both first party Sony exclusives, both New IPs, both ambitious and unique projects in their own way.

One Flopped where the other seems to be a huge success...

There are a lot to be learned here of Do's and Don'ts for Sony producers/ focus teams and fans alike.

So yeah, I say let's do compare/discuss both and see what worked and what didn't in each respective game, to make better IPs in the future.

This game looks great. Have reviews mentioned what are the graphical differences between regular PS4 and Pro?
Both versions were praised on DF for being solid framerate with extremely rare slowdowns. Pro version of course is at a higher resolution and checkerboards up to 4K, there is also a small patch on day one that hasn't been tested but it's design for Pro gamers still playing on a 1080p set with a increase in frames and performance being the emphasis. Those on 4K sets has stated it's hands down the best looking console game releases this gen.

They are both first party Sony exclusives, both New IPs, both ambitious and unique projects in their own way.

There are a lot to be learned here of Do's and Don'ts for Sony producers/ focus teams and fans alike.

So yeah, I say let's do compare/discuss both and see what worked and what didn't in each respective game, to make better IPs in the future.

His post was about sales though, so thats what was being discussed. Don't think this is the thread to talk about why Horizon is going to be a success and The Order not.

It is also not first party....

Mubrik

I unfortunately had to stop right at what I believe is the last mission of the game (but one nice thing about this game is when you think it may be over, it's not). I am selling the game to another GAFer (I can wait to finish. I want someone else to experience this game early!)

But at 33 hours, I can review 99% of the game, so here is my review. Forgive the sporadic thoughts of this review. It's not very eloquent but I wrote it on lunch break at work.

This is a fantastic open world action adventure game with Diet RPG elements. It reminds me of the best parts of inFamous 2, MGSV, RDR, The Witcher 3, and Zelda Breath of the Wild blended together. It's very smart, cleanly polished and presented in almost every one of its mechanics. It avoids risky gimmicks in trade for cleaning up most game mechanics we've gotten used to in the above games until they're just seamless and fun. And the story is beyond anything I expected for GG. It's controlled, precise in its delivery. In fact, everything here is. It's just a big tapestry of consistent, polished, believable storytelling, game mechanics, gameplay systems, visuals, and music. A nearly unblemished gem in modern console gaming.

Story:
This is not the most surprising or mindblowing premise, plot, or storytelling ever done. In fact, you already know the premise that this takes place in the future after human civilization has toppled. The question is why, though? How did this happen? GG does a fantastic job of fleshing out the "why" and "how" into a web of elegant complexity that stretches from the lore of the past into the politics of the future. It's well thought out and never ceases to be interesting to know what's going on. They reveal it to you one sensible bit at a time, with major elements coming straight from the cutscenes and missions, to smaller more perplexing elements being fed through lore collectibles, data logs, and audio logs. This ensures that by the end of the game, you have your main questions answered, but there's always more answers to questions for the explorer that seeks them.

Although the plot risks getting a little complicated to follow, the writing is so air-tight and succinct in explanation that you can stay plugged in. My only suggestions are that the cutscenes should be archived, the audio logs should be controllable, and they should include an encyclopedia of characters (maybe they have this? Honestly I didn't check and I didn't beat the game). Regardless, Aloy sometimes summarizes particularly important audio logs that risk being confusing afterward, e.g. "So that means that ___," which always helps ground you in the bottom-line of what is going on. She asks very intuitive and intelligent questions that the player is asking in their minds, making the dialogue very satisfying to watch. This helps the writing stay tight and focused. There are dialogue branches you can choose from. They're interesting in that they don't SEEM to significantly change the plot (though some might, idk!) but they let you steer Aloy's personality a bit. For example, you can sometimes choose between a compassionate, witty, or aggressive response to an NPC. Sometimes these are pivotal plot moments that get remembered. It's fun to respond the way you want to be remembered, or to elicit certain reactions in pivotal moments. Even the side missions have enjoyable side characters and story to explore that flesh out the entire world plot, although the gameplay is very predictable with that.

One more thing I'll say is that the diversity in this game is fantastic. Aloy is the best written female protagonist since Ellie. She's strong and full of passion and conviction, but doesn't wear skimpy outfits. The game makes no sexual comments about her. And there are so many important NPCs of color, both male and female, that I feel like this is another instance where the game consistently nails its reality. Humans of the future are going to be all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Gameplay:
Ooooo, this is good. The combat focuses on projectile weapons, and it's always strategic and important moment-to-moment. I was impressed by how many times I was forced to use something other than my bow to take out powerful enemies, like setting traps and luring my foes into explosive chaos. You also need to use a variety of elemental additions to your weapons to defeat enemies more easily.

The game also streamlines RPG mechanics that usually risk being convoluted or obscure into something straightforward but still fun (at the risk of not being complex enough for some). I like the seamless and straightforward upgrade system. You unlock weapons and gear as you find new merchants, which you get by exploring (it expands your trade network as a brave). Then you buy them as you collect rarer parts and get wealthier. So the difficulty pacing is well-regulated IMO. I will admit that it took a couple of hours before it all felt intuitive to me.

I also want to say that the beginning area is beautiful and introduces you to the story, mechanics, and a couple of side quests, but don't think that's representative of the whole game.

This game is rich, huge, and full of things to do, and none of them feel pointless or padded. It completely avoids Ubisoft syndrome IMO. There's things to do littered on the map, but they have a purpose. Most are optional, but if it's going to lead to a rare beast to hunt, or some cool lore, or a beautiful new area, or a new tallneck to climb, why wouldn't you want to go check it out? This game nails the feeling of continually rewarding and reinstating curiosity.

The beast design? Sweet Moses. Every beast has its animations, its behavior, it's moves and personality, its weaknesses and strengths, and every encounter is thrilling. Even the mundane moments where you're just sneaking up to some Grazers (gazelle-like machines) for a hunt for some blaze and machine parts. However, the larger machine encounters are just amazing. Like boss fights strewn throughout. I hope in Horizon 2, the machine animals can be even more impressive. Being amazed by the size and power of a machine are my favorite moments in the game.

The human combat and encounters are not as intelligent and varied, and this is something they could improve in Horizon 2. The human enemies follow and shoot at you, much like inFamous enemies. But they don't flank, they're not great at avoiding fire, and this doesn't change with difficulty setting. Some better AI here would be more thrilling.

But interestingly enough, the times in the game where you have he option of infiltrating a human base camp or fortress feel a lot like MGSV or AC2, with alertness indicators, stealth options, and silent kills. It's not as deep as MGSV or AC2 obviously, but I appreciated that they attempted the mechanics without ruining them or making them feel unnatural or lazy. Stealth exists in this game because you have to hunt.

My main criticisms are that I hope Horizon 2 has more varied melee combat. I want something more powerful than a spear (other braves have hammers and axes and shit. Why can't I?) and more combos like air slashes. It would be a great risk-reward to make melee symbiotically trade off with projectile combat.

Also, the side quests are not any different in gameplay variety than the main story. You track trails, you shoot things, you climb and platform, you stealth infiltrate. However, the little stories that get you there are really fun! I hope in Horizon 2, they get even more creative with side quests.

My other thing is that I've only visited 2 cauldrons, so I don't have much to say about them. One was easy and simple, the other was just 1 enemy that was too difficult for me so I had to reload to escape. I want them to patch to make sure you can escape cauldrons. However, the cauldrons themselves are very cool/important for the plot, and the reward is very compelling.

In fact, all of the side quests, errands, and things to do feel worthwhile. There's not as many of them as other giant RPGs, but what is here is helpful to complete, fleshes out the lore, and always at least increases your XP and gives you new useful crafting items.

One thing I really like about this game is they tell you what your rewards are before you embark on any quest, so you know if it's worth your time. Very streamlined RPG mechanics. I never feel lost, out of place, or disconnected from my options. I know where everything is, how to get it, and why it's there. It's a huge breath of fresh air in convoluted obscure adventure games with RPG like Dark Souls.

Visuals:
I don't need to write much about this. It's the prettiest console game thus far. And it's open world. Holy shit. It almost never lags or stutters in framerate. The textures remain sharp at almost every distance. The textures aren't quite as sharp as Uncharted 4 in some places (like mountains or dirt), and the facial animations wildly vary in quality from cutscene to NPC dialogue, but the whole product is still a visual masterpiece.

Soundtrack:
Beautiful. It's not the most memorable soundtrack ever, and this is a new franchise, so the tunes aren't yet embroidered with nostalgia, but the music in this game is well-designed. Soft orchestral pieces curl into the environmental sounds as you explore alone. Bombastic arrangements kick in during battle and moments of strife and victory. And different renditions of Horizon's theme sneak in at well-timed plot intervals. It's very well-done.

I could go on but I'll just keep answering questions. The game is phenomenal and worth the price of a PS4, if not a Pro!

I think most would agree that this is at least an ~8/10 (great) game for anyone IMO. But for me it's at least a 9/10 (amazing).

I'm saving 10/10 for Horizon 2 lol

lol. was going to say "too much words. i need numbers"
nice impression!

edit: finally caught up to the thread. what a rollercoaster

Aceofspades

Banned
Is there something with AAA Playstation exclusives that cause so much traffic?
8mk0Mox.png

Yes. "Playstation"

The world's strongest gaming brand in history.

im glad GG made what seems like an outstanding game. I used to go to war on their behalf on this forum, I always knew they had the talent to put together something exceptional.

Loudninja

It's a fantastic science fiction tale that expertly hangs the next piece of information just out of reach without feeling like it's stretching its information out too thinly. I thought the game was coming to an end around two-thirds of the way through, only to discover that there were multiple hours of mainline gameplay left to experience and additional answers to seek.
By the end, Horizon comes to a satisfying conclusion in a way that left me feeling like they should probably never make a sequel. It's a near-perfect story that creates a world and also provides meaningful answers about said world. Not to soapbox about it, but games don't do that often enough anymore. The events of Horizon have weight and the game feels less like franchise building and more like a cohesive statement.
The overall story is solid, but the moment-to-moment dialogue is also quite good. Even some of the smaller quests get their own fascinating twists and turns, and characters often defy expectations in welcome ways. Aloy is well-voiced as a character caught between worlds, . It all makes for a really refreshing experience that zigged when I assumed it would definitely zag on a few different occasions.
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/ho...d=27795&sharedid=&ftag=ACQ-09-10aag0a&irgwc=1

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

That's actually a more impressive statement than a lot of others that can be made. A lot of games seem to have fallen in the same funk as a lot of big movies searching to make something far larger over the long term instead of making solid products that stand on their own merits as a complete package. That isn't to say I don't want a sequel but I find most games rely on the fact that they are hoping for a sequel and plan around that and it lessens the game in a lot of ways in hopes to strengthen a franchise.

That's actually a more impressive statement than a lot of others that can be made. A lot of games seem to have fallen in the same funk as a lot of big movies searching to make something far larger over the long term instead of making solid products that stand on their own merits as a complete package. That isn't to say I don't want a sequel but I find most games rely on the fact that they are hoping for a sequel and plan around that and it lessens the game in a lot of ways in hopes to strengthen a franchise.

Especially when Horizon is a game that had discussions about how it was going to be a sequel bait all around.

Mubrik

first quote actually falls in line with what the lamp says,
just when you think its coming to an end the game stretches it quite well and ends well too
thinking from his view and comparing to the us gamer review (sorry bringing it up again, it seems interesting). she felt the story dragged on instead, i can see how people less interested in story might feel the same way too.

E: can the game launch already. need to play this for myself, where is my new game + info GG?

I'm glad for Guerrilla that Horizon is being well received. It sounds like they've done a good job.

I've put myself in an unfortunate position where I've got the game preordered (£42 Amazon Prime), but haven't been able to find a Pro in stock for the last couple of weeks. I've ordered a Pro from Amazon but don't have any date yet.

I could play in HDR on my launch day PS4, but I feel like I should wait until I've got the Pro hooked up and can enjoy it in 2160c HDR.

I should have bought one when I had the chance. Foolish fool that I am.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok, after reading that Giant Bomb write up concerning the story, I'm finally out. It sounds too good to have anything spoilt. See you on the other side folks.

Cartho

Ordered from eBay... it's been dispatched! Should have it tomorrow. I'm in Half Term as well. Struggling to contain the hype right now.

23qwerty

Ready at Dawn isn't 1st party

Loudninja

Yahoo Games 4.5/5
And while your mind will invariably float to other games, ”Horizon" quickly recaptures it. A few hours in, the bulk of its open-world still shrouded in secrecy, it hit me that the game isn't trying to re-invent the wheel so much as remind us how cool wheels are in the first place. It successfully marries open-world shenanigans with a great story, a ”Witcher"-sized challenge, and keeps it humming with smart, addictive combat against a tide of brilliant enemies. Our species might lack good judgment from time to time, but ”Horizon" proves we're still worth saving.
What's hot: Terrific story, engaging until the very end; magnificent robotic dino-beasts; intense, heady action; captivating world

What's not: Weak melee; skill tree relatively small; at times a little too derivativ
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/horizon-zero-dawn-review-211441505.html

The Lamp

It's a fantastic science fiction tale that expertly hangs the next piece of information just out of reach without feeling like it's stretching its information out too thinly. I thought the game was coming to an end around two-thirds of the way through, only to discover that there were multiple hours of mainline gameplay left to experience and additional answers to seek.

a goddam handjob on SSRI meds

I'm not reading anything so far, I'm hoping to play the game knowing as little as possible. But I'm pleased that Giantbomb's and Games Radar's reviews were so positive.

Does anyone know if there's even a slight chance of this game coming out on PC?
Maybe it will hit PS Now (assuming it is still a thing) during the PS5 generation. Otherwise, it isn't happening because Guerrilla Games is a Sony owned studio and they have never put their in-house, AAA titles on PC.

Lifeline

These review quotes are getting me so excited. I went from planning to get this over the summer to wanting it Day 1.

Haven't been this excited since Uncharted 4.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll be honest, I was just expecting something subpar or decent. To hear that it is actually one of the strongest parts of the game is amazing.

I had faith in the RPG guys they hired. Its not like they hired some no name low level programmer from Obsidian. They got some serious talent to help craft the story, characters, events, etc. and it shows.

I had faith in the RPG guys they hired. Its not like they hired some no name low level programmer from Obsidian. They got some serious talent to help craft the story, characters, events, etc. and it shows.
I've never played anything like Fallout, The Witcher, etc... So, that is my excuse. :p

silva1991

Decent to good story, fantastic music, good protagonist, awesome and tactical combat, challenging, some of the best enemy designs ever made/battles and one of(if not the) the best graphics this gen?

This game can be the one to dethrone Bloodborne/Bayonetta 2 for me.

stryke

The One and Done™;230707473 said:
He's insufferable IMO. I much prefer Kinda Funny Games. They talk like real gamers.

I'm indifferent to kinda Funny but if we wanna go down this no true scotsman path, I'd rather "real gamers" not be associated with a guy who strips and throws beers cans about when drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom