• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peroroncino

Need scanner to see weak points

VaxIFs6.gif

Kolx

Apparently the reviews helped the game a lot. The game exceeded the total sold copies of RE7 and the pre orders of Zelda (WiiU version) after the reviews, and is now sitting at the 7th place. In the hourly chart it has been sitting at number 1 since the reviews came out. The game could easily do 4-5 million Ltd even without bundling it heavily.

No shit. An experience I don't wish to replicate when playing a game. Make lighting as realistic as possible but if I have to squint to see something when this effect is in play its just obstructive.
Not looking at screens, but in theory only, I personally disagree. I appreciate fidelity, filtered through whichever art style, as a means of heightening the detail of experiences, especially fantastical ones. If it makes squinting into the sun unpleasant, I think that adds valuable detail, and potentially leads to new approaches to the game. Especially playing as a huntress, I probably wouldn't sneak up on something into the sun ...

Just my own preference. I really like games which offer the opportunity to 'act' as my character, get into the role, behave the way they would and really live a little bit like them for a short while.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate just how free from bugs this game is compared to most open world games? Haven't seen any reviewer or any of the people with early copies pointing out bugs or other serious technical issues. Actually, there was maybe one instance of a freeze happening but don't remember who mentioned it.
Even more impressive is that this seems to be the case for the game on the disc even before any patches are applied? I miss the days when games could be played without connecting to the internet for the 'complete' experience.

Side quests are different or repetitive ? This is the main problem on open world games
How about this one ?

For the most part, they're well-written with interesting stories. Not too many of the "go to these 10 same-y places and do the same task" variety. A couple types have really interesting gameplay, too. I love the Hunting Trials that challenge your gamer skills; like, kill 3 Ravagers in 90 seconds.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate just how free from bugs this game is compared to most open world games? Haven't seen any reviewer or any of the people with early copies pointing out bugs or other serious technical issues. Actually, there was maybe one instance of a freeze happening but don't remember who mentioned it.
Even more impressive is that this seems to be the case for the game on the disc even before any patches are applied? I miss the days when games could be played without connecting to the internet for the 'complete' experience.

For real, I've been playing for 45 hours on v1.00 and literally no glitch has happened. A visual quirks here and there, like an NPC moving in an odd way. But the day-zero patch is also improving some NPC facial animations.

Wowzers trousers.......

Now, what difficulty should I be playing this on...........

For what it's worth, Normal is legitimately challenging -- definitely the hardest action-adventure game of this kind I've ever played, besides the obvious Souls exceptions.

You really do need to experiment with weapon types and tools to find efficient combos for the later enemies, or they'll just wreck you. And with the wrong armor equipped, a particularly strong foe can take 2/3 of your health bar in one swoop.

When I first met them I was instantly dead. First and only time I defeated one was in that quest. They come in pairs in the wild, and that's above my paygrade at the moment :p

I encountered my third or fourth one during a side quest and they were always one of my feared enemies.

But then an NPC told me:

(battle strategy spoiler)
If you stop moving when they're underground, they're likely to lose track of you.

Just crazy attention to detail.

I encountered my third or fourth one during a side quest and they were always one of my feared enemies.

But then an NPC told me:

(battle strategy spoiler)
If you stop moving when they're underground, they're likely to lose track of you.

Just crazy attention to detail.

So truly like the things in the movie
Tremors.

danowat

Banned
For what it's worth, Normal is legitimately challenging -- definitely the hardest action-adventure game of this kind I've ever played, besides the obvious Souls exceptions.

You really do need to experiment with weapon types and tools to find efficient combos for the later enemies, or they'll just wreck you. And with the wrong armor equipped, a particularly strong foe can take 2/3 of your health bar in one swoop.

Ok, I was going on what Kotaku said, that normal was very "forgiving"

Ok, I was going on what Kotaku said, that normal was very "forgiving"

I hadn't seen that take. That's... an interesting description. I suppose it's "forgiving" in the sense that it's "recoverable" with health potions and stuff, but I'm a pretty experienced shooter/action gamer and I died dozens of times in the course of the game, some of which came in some really challenging story encounters.

danowat

Banned
I hadn't seen that take. That's... an interesting description. I suppose it's "forgiving" in the sense that it's "recoverable" with health potions and stuff, but I'm a pretty experienced shooter/action gamer and I died dozens of times in the course of the game, some of which came in some really challenging story encounters.

The game is very forgiving on normal. If you're not someone who enjoys stealth and crafting-heavy games, normal is forgiving enough that you can progress without much challenge. You won't really be forced into intense situations unless you pop the difficulty up further, and those who want a more authentic survival experience should consider playing on the hardest difficulty off the bat.

Is that not the case then?

For those who've played all through the game, are there any moments where you have to run about within a circular radius and look for a small object placed somewhere in the ground a la The Witcher 3? Because those parts of the game (of which there were many) were absolute dogshit and I could do without them. Anything like that in Horizon?

You won't really be forced into intense situations unless you pop the difficulty up further, and those who want a more authentic survival experience should consider playing on the hardest difficulty off the bat.

Is that not the case then?

Yeah, that's... I mean, that's *their* take, but I couldn't disagree more. There are intense situations with meager health amounts and being out-of-items, all the time. My wife is big into games but not quite as twitch-trained, and she's hit some hour-plus roadblocks.

My recommendation: Start on Normal and play half the game that way--until the story really starts picking up steam and the battles do, too. That first half probably wouldn't be too bad on the higher difficulties anyway, and by that point, I think a few particular fights will make it very clear whether you should bump it up (which you can do at any time).

For those who've played all through the game, are there any moments where you have to run about within a circular radius and look for a small object placed somewhere in the ground a la The Witcher 3? Because those parts of the game (of which there were many) were absolute dogshit and I could do without them. Anything like that in Horizon?

Slight game design spoiler, for courtesy:
The collectibles, once marked on your map, have radiuses, but they're small circles and the items are super-easy to locate. There are a couple side quests with "searching," but your Focus makes everything abundantly clear.

Slight game design spoiler, for courtesy:
The collectibles, once marked on your map, have radiuses, but they're small circles and the items are super-easy to locate. There are a couple side quests with "searching," but your Focus makes everything abundantly clear.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. As long as I'm not mindlessly running about for ages trying to find a tiny object in a big field on multiple occasions then I can live with that.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. As long as I'm not mindlessly running about for ages trying to find a tiny object in a big field on multiple occasions then I can live with that.

Not at all, there's nothing even remotely like The Witcher in that regard. The bad example I'm thinking of from that game was searching for the Temerian sigil in that charred circular battlefield early on.

Cleve

Those environment shots look amazing, the fog in particular

I think it's interesting (or maybe creepy is a better word) that he wants women in games to wear sexy outfits and show their sensuality, and the only example he gave was his sister

Hah, that's what jumped out at me too. "Why can't women be sexy and sensual like my sister" Is this a joke?

Wowzers trousers.......

Now, what difficulty should I be playing this on...........

Find out what Arthur Gies played it on, and bump it up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom