• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Are you looking at those pics on your smart phones? (In small size they look indeed pretty.) If you look at them full size textures are blurry and the rock formations are low polygon.

Horizon |OT| Roll Aloy, Roll

I swear, I roll so much when playing, I don't realize it till I rewatch video I record. HA.

Are you looking at those pics on your smart phones? (In small size they look indeed pretty.) If you look at them full size textures are blurry and the rock formations are low polygon.

Also it does look much better in motion too, but you know this.

For those who've played it. How are the controls for the bow? Aim, pull, release or Aim and shoot?

I hope SlasherJPC can answer.

It's so second nature at this point, I'm having a hard time thinking but I believe it's aim and shoot. Aiming longer, narrows the shot, and then you push to fire, I think. LOL you got my mind mixed now.

An excerpt from a podcast I'm listening to, on how the combat is tactical
When I say "hunt", it very much feels like that. What I really dig about this game is that so many games feel like shooters. At any given time, I'd say half, if not three quarters, of the weapons in my quick-pick menu were designed to buff my actual attack.

So one would be designed to remove armor at close range, one would be to - say they were birds - pull them down from the air and pin them to the ground. The other would be used to make them cold or electric, which is a buff for your attack. And then I would deal attacks

So it really made me start planning out all of these hunts. Not just in the game's main stages, but going about the environment, I would see a big creature and I would say "I'm going to find a way to kill that thing and strip it for its parts, how can I best do that?"

Another good comment, about the "towers" and how this game improves upon what people consider a very annoying Ubisoft thing
Doing each of those was really compelling, because it has a really good build for all these side things. Here, do that. Okay, now do that with the challenge of being surrounded by land creatures you have sneak past. Okay, now do that but there are now these nightmare bird things in the air

I really enjoyed that versus the Ubisoft model, which is instead of having seven really good towers, there will be 30 towers and they'll all kind of be the same

SlickVic

Man, these reviews have made February 28th feel like an eternity away. Doesn't help that it'll be another week after that before I can really dive into the game.

Stiler

Was there ever a reason given for Guerilla trying to hide that Ashley Burch was Aloy? "hide" may not be the right term, but they kept brushing off people asking if it was Ashley.

I assumed it was simply them wanting it to be a surprise? Cause they had an official announcement and she posted it on her twitter when they let her.

The same as many movies have a set date when actors or cast memebers can bring up they are in the movie.

Pr stuff basically.

VanWinkle

Keep in mind you're looking at a 4k screenshot of a game that is not rendering in native 4k.

Neonep

A little off topic but does anybody have the gif where it's night time and Aloy sets a trap and destroys a bunch of the robots? I think it was from a stream.

aravuus

Lol am I the only one who likes Friday releases?

Nowadays Friday releases are fine since I'm practically all-digital, but they were frustrating back in the day when I still pre-ordered physical. Packages don't get delivered on weekends around here, so more often than not a Friday release was actually a Monday release for me.

Loudninja

Engadget review
This is where Horizon separates itself from other open-world RPGs: It's apocalyptic like Fallout, but it's set in environments so lush they would make Bob Ross blush. It's fantastical like Dragon Age, at least until the robot dinosaurs show up. It's futuristic like Deus Ex but feels like a story set in a distant, magical past. Horizon occupies a delicious space between sci-fi and fantasy, blending the genres into something that feels distinctly modern and unique.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-made-me-fall-in-love-with-open-world-rpgs/

Neonep

Not the gif though but I guess you meant this from PSAccess video?!

https://youtu.be/TLzP-4_Tqlk?t=11m11s

At 11:11 mark
Thanks
98m2mB.gif

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Wow at all those 9s and 10s...

Could anyone please clarify one thing for me? (Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly.)

Does Aloy talk to herself as much as she did during promotional footage?
I'm referring to the constant "Gotta keep quiet..." "Just a little more..." "That's it..." "Shh, it's okay..." etc. while out and about in the wild.

The game looks beautiful, but I don't think I can stomach more than 5 minutes of that kind of "banter". Ruins the immersion for me.

Gradly

Wow at all those 9s and 10s...

Could anyone please clarify one thing for me? (Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly.)

Does Aloy talk to herself as much as she did during promotional footage?
I'm referring to the constant "Gotta keep quiet..." "Just a little more..." "That's it..." "Shh, it's okay..." etc. while out and about in the wild.

The game looks beautiful, but I don't think I can stomach more than 5 minutes of that kind of "banter". Ruins the immersion for me.

I watched a lot of streams here and there, and I'm
afraid that's true
but of course those who played the game will tell you exactly about that

Skux

After watching that big Thunderjaw throwdown it's occurred to me just how essential the slow motion weapon selection screen is.

It's a slow motion effect, which gives you time to think about which weapon you need, but it's not a complete pause, so you still have to keep one eye on the game world or else you'll get hit by a charging beast or laser beam.

It's little things like that that can change the entire combat flow.

Kinda wish I had a Pro now. I know this game is gonna have a tough time with my launch era PS4.

Has gamestop or anyone done a trade in deal to upgrade to a Pro?

It performs quite well on regular PS4.
You should maybe look at Digital Foundry technical video before making the decision whether to upgrade.

how many days till the digital preorder will be preloaded and how many days till it's unlocked for play? (T_T)

I believe pre-load is 2 days before launch.
Sooo 26 for US and 27 for UK/EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom