• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guymelef

I'm not one to notice lens flare effects in games, but YO this is some nice lens flare.

YHzBDaD.gif

Yep, Kojima will love the engine lol.

@ SlasherJPC Can you confirm this: Does the game use the all the DualShock 4 features from changing colors of lightbar, sounds from monospeaker, trackpad, motion controls?

Sun tends to be pretty bright

It does. Its a nice mechanic but if it obstructs gameplay in any way it annoys me. Same with overly dark games, if I have a slight bit of sunlight breaking into the room I can't see shit except my disappointed face starting back at me in the bright TV reflection.

It does. Its a nice mechanic but if it obstructs gameplay in any way it annoys me. Same with overly dark games, if I have a slight bit of sunlight breaking into the room I can't see shit except my disappointed face starting back at me in the bright TV reflection.

I love overly dark nights in games. I modded GTA and Fallout to have the darkest nights possible. But I can understand the hate if you're playing on a TV in the living room. But on a PC in a dark room, it's the best for immersion.

I love overly dark nights in games. I modded GTA and Fallout to have the darkest nights possible. But I can understand the hate if you're playing on a TV in the living room. But on a PC in a dark room, it's the best for immersion.

I used to do this in my teens. Nowadays if I attempted to lock myself in a room with my computer with the curtains shut it would draw some weird questions from my girlfriend.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Played for about three hours last night and I'm really blown away. I was very worried about the writing going in as it's one of the things that can really put me off an RPG. While it's not setting any staggering new highs in terms of video game dialogue etc. I will honestly say, this isn't somehting anyone should be concerned about.

There's no big names here, but the cast so far seem more than capable. I remember seeing the initial Brom footage and being really crest-fallen. Happily, it looks to be an exception.

Other than that, combat is tasty and it's the best-looking game I've ever seen on PS4. In 4K I'd imagine it'd be a serious contender for best looking game ever made, but those comparisons are maybe better left to people who really know their stuff...

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Preorder numbers surpass Nioh sales in 2017 on Amazon UK ,#5 Bestsellers in PC & Video Games for 2017
Not surpass Re7 PS4 like Amazon US

Loudninja

Awe over sheer technical wizardry and its ability to transport you into a new world. Awe over discovering gargantuan mechanical dinosaurs and gradually uncovering the mysteries of a lost civilization. Awe over the fact I have never seen so many kickass women in a first party big-budget game, much less this many people of color in key roles. I often found myself pausing the game just to marvel at it all.
http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-the-kotaku-review-1792538336

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Played for about three hours last night and I'm really blown away. I was very worried about the writing going in as it's one of the things that can really put me off an RPG. While it's not setting any staggering new highs in terms of video game dialogue etc. I will honestly say, this isn't somehting anyone should be concerned about.

There's no big names here, but the cast so far seem more than capable. I remember seeing the initial Brom footage and being really crest-fallen. Happily, it looks to be an exception.

Other than that, combat is tasty and it's the best-looking game I've ever seen on PS4. In 4K I'd imagine it'd be a serious contender for best looking game ever made, but those comparisons are maybe better left to people who really know their stuff...

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to some competent writing.

Could you please provide some impressions regarding my question on the previous page? (About Aloy talking to herself/the player.)

Zedark

Preorder numbers surpass Nioh sales in 2017 on Amazon UK ,#5 Bestsellers in PC & Video Games for 2017
Not surpass Re7 PS4 like Amazon US
This is somehow kinda hilarious in light of your tag!

Those aren't very high bars imo, Nioh will be a niche below Dark Souls (still a great result for the game, mind you) and RE7 isn't setting the world on fire like previous entries (and still does well, mind you). I think Horizon Zero Dawn was always destined to sell well, so I fully expected this.

kiri

Just pre-ordered my copy for £24! Can't wait to play it - going to have to make some space on my console to install it first!

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
This is somehow kinda hilarious in light of your tag!.
You look at my tag why you not notice my avatar?
BTW, Nioh sold more than For Honor PS4, it's just behind Re7 PS4

d9b

Banned

Can't wait!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm a huge Guerrilla Games fan (I've loved all of their Killzone games, and think they're under-appreciated), so I was sold on Horizon the day it was announced. Reviews don't mean much to me, but I admit I'm surprised at how well received the game has been. I didn't put a lot of thought into it, but I suppose I didn't expect reviewers to dig the game as much as they are. It looks fantastic, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Staf

Man, this is gonna be one long ass week to wait... Torment comes out the same day... Maybe this is the perfect time to break up with the GF and stop wasting time going to the gym to free some time lol.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to some competent writing.

Could you please provide some impressions regarding my question on the previous page? (About Aloy talking to herself/the player.)

Sure dude. Again, this is something I was really worried about and while she does it more in the initial hour or so (for expository/tutorial purposes) it seemed to significantly drop off as I played. She does drop in the odd comment as she walks around: occasionally when you pick things up there'll be a 'this'll come in handy' or when you stumble a 'I need to be more careful', but largely it's unintrusive.

Obviously, it'll remain to be seen how often the lines cycle. I got very tired of hearing Geralt's 'What now, you piece of filth?" every time I drew my sword, but Aloy's are generally less specific, so might not stick out so much.

Also, a small thing, but her background as an outsider who has had very little contact with other human beings makes talking to herself seem a much more rational and natural thing.

I pre-ordered. Now this is gonna be a silly question to some since I barely use my PS so I'm not too familiar with it - I got the dynamic theme in the background of Horizon, as per the pre-order, but I don't see the game in my library. Will the icon appear only when it's available for pre-load?

deoee

I pre-ordered. Now this is gonna be a silly question to some since I barely use my PS so I'm not too familiar with it - I got the dynamic theme in the background of Horizon, as per the pre-order, but I don't see the game in my library. Will the icon appear only when it's available for pre-load?

With Nioh it unlocked when the game actually was released.

bombshell

It should be in the library as soon as you pre-order. Did you remember to look in the purchased category?

This gif just makes me happy that Horizon has a great battle system. Its often a feature that is not done well in WARPGs but its, to me at least, the part of the game that truly makes me want to play more. The longevity, the excitement of encounters, unpredictability and satisfaction all come directly from it.

Hearing Jeff shower praise for a Sony first-party game is... a weird feeling.

He's never disliked them Sony games (except Driveclub), but by and large their games don't "click" with him either.

He's got a very particular taste that you can immediately see from the games he loves to play like DOOM, Titanfall & Gears. And it's easy to see how Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance, etc don't fit those mold in terms of games that just melts into your hands in terms of how they control and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom