• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rurunaki

There was no way this was going to review similar or better than Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 set new standards of quality in storytelling, world building and characters while Horizon even being good doesn't reach that quality.

I also continue to find the combat a bit too simplistic and boring. (Prepare the avater quotes).

The world of the Witcher 3 was so engrossing, detailed and well described that even a boring combat couldn't drag it down, while in Horizon i see not enough compelling world building or characters writing to play it till the end.

The Eurogamer review echoed my worries about the game.

You do realize that Witcher is pretty much derived from the books.. So the "lore building" you're talking about is pretty much established by the book and not the game itself. Then again, I don't understand why you feel so threatened by this game doing good. It doesn't diminish Witcher's credibility as a game so your cause of concern is baffling.

Really glad it proved the haters wrong, this game was getting a lot of unfair shit thrown at it. Guerrilla have clearly worked hard to make this amazing game for us and it looks like it's paid off for them.

Now bring on release day, I have some robot dino's to hunt. :)

Shaukdotdj

Some idiot on [nonamesitenotgivingfreepublicity] gave it a 3.5/5
same person gave NMS a 5/5

Ever wish you could fire somebody for being THAT bad at their job? How out of sync with the industry are you at that point?

tdwig

Neo Member
Missions are repetitive? I heard side quests were very well done, and the story /charatcers are getting a lot of praise, were are you getting your information from.

A couple of reviews have said the narrative is fantastic

I was mainly basing this off the Easy Allies review but I know a couple other reviewers mentioned some repetitive open world elements as well. I was also reading that the characters have a ton of personality and are unique + stand out, but also mentioned that the characters themselves can tend to be on the shallow side. Also that some of the narrative beats don't pick up until the end. I'm excited to form my own opinion when I actually get to play it though!

Ever wish you could fire somebody for being THAT bad at their job? How out of sync with the industry are you at that point?
Don't be rude maybe they just enjoyed nms more

Higher than expected, but hype has gotten ahold of gaming sites before. Hopefully that's not happening here though.

Reviewers though are much harsher this gen and far less likely to fall for "hype".
The dishing out of 9's and 10's like candy has radically reduced which bodes very well for Horizon now.

Any sort of average score will be fuck by all the fanboys giving it 10/10s and 0/10s, it'll be useless unless you wanna swim through all the shit to find the genuine reviews.

Yeah that's true.
I find user reviews more useful months after a game is out when there are more genuine impressions available.

Godan

Most of User Score for exclusives are 0 or 10

But its not the 0s or 10s i look at look at a few from 7 to 9 and see what it says and then decide.

Stopped going by what the reviewer score are for a few years now after some of the score they have gave games in the past.

There was no way this was going to review similar or better than Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 set new standards of quality in storytelling, world building and characters while Horizon even being good doesn't reach that quality.

I also continue to find the combat a bit too simplistic and boring. (Prepare the avater quotes).

The world of the Witcher 3 was so engrossing, detailed and well described that even a boring combat couldn't drag it down, while in Horizon i see not enough compelling world building or characters writing to play it till the end that is why i was hoping for a moderately short main quest lenght.

The Eurogamer review echoed my worries about the game.

It's a pity because the enemies design and animations are one of the best (if not the best) in recent RPGs.

Only crazy person would expect this to score better than Witcher 3.
Most people said that it would have better combat which seem to be the case.
This is GG first open world game and RPG 89 is a damn good score this gen .

Fat4all

Banned

Back in the day our local news paper had a video game page and the tosser who wrote it gave Halo Reach a 2/10 and I was flabbergasted.

The Pope

Hope Guerilla continues to higher RPG talent and takes there time with there next game (I think they have another in development that is not Horizon related) as well as the inevitable sequel. We need another CD Project Red/ Obsidian quality RPG studio. Guerrilla still have a little way to go (reading the reviews) particularly when it comes to side quest variety. However in terms of moment to moment game play they seem way ahead. I would love to Chaperone a goat for a change of pace (ala The Witcher), would also be great if there was more organic life. Also imagine if they evolved the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor and the tribes acted like the gangs in New Vegas.
So Guerilla keeping hiring and RETAINING talent and more importantly take your time with projects. Your two critically acclaimed games both spent many years in the oven( KZN, HZD) Four year dev time is ideal imo - I am sure publishers disagree.

Watching their Dev Diaries they seem really self-aware of criticisms which is good.

When the release dates were set I actually felt sorry for GG going up against Zelda but now I feel sorry for Nintendo going up against Horizon. GG has really exceeded all expectations this time.

I think The Legend of Zelda and Nintendo are going to make it through all of this just fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just wanted to chime in and say that I have a PS4 vs PRO frame-rate analysis video coming in a couple hours for DF. Then, on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll have a full breakdown of the visuals similar to what I did for Uncharted 4.

black070

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have a PS4 vs PRO frame-rate analysis video coming in a couple hours for DF. Then, on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll have a full breakdown of the visuals similar to what I did for Uncharted 4.

Much appreciated, thank you - were you aware of the day one Pro patch that adds a mode that favours framerate at 1080p ?

GHG

Thank you.

I need to make a decision on what I'm going to do before the game releases.

Nice. Please be spoiler free.

The last Resident Evil 7 analysis was full of spoilers :(

BeeDog

The best thing about being overworked and super-busy in general is that I don't have time nor energy to nitpick games anymore. For example, when it comes to Nioh it's so obvious it has some glaring flaws like lack of enemy types etc., but I can't be bother to muster up any strength to even get annoyed by it, so I am happily playing the game.

The small flaws that have been brought up regarding Horizon probably will mean jack shit to me, which should help me be engrossed with all the awesomeness it's showing. Damn, can't wait to indulge in this escapism.

FATALITY

Banned

just press the fucking button :p

Zedark

Awesome, looking forward to it! You guys do great work!

oti

Banned
When the release dates were set I actually felt sorry for GG going up against Zelda but now I feel sorry for Nintendo going up against Horizon. GG has really exceeded all expectations this time.

Don't feel sorry for companies.
Both of them will be fine.

maybe we can stop reviewing the reviews until the game actually releases

Huddy

Great reception from the gaming press, well done Guerrilla.

The first quarter of this year is stacked and my wallet can only take so much punishment, I just can't shake the feeling that when you take away how amazing the game looks it's still going to play like every other open world game, so for now Horizon you'll have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom