• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: I hope Ghost of Tsushima 2 doesn't come out anytime soon

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I really hope Sucker Punch takes their time with Ghost of Tsushima 2. I know a lot of people are hoping we'll see a teaser or trailer along with the PS5 Pro reveal, but I'm hoping the game is much further out than that.

I really don't want just more of the same with Ghost 2, I think Sucker Punch has somewhat of an opportunity to take this franchise to the next level similar to Rockstar taking Red Dead Redemption 2 to the next level after Red Dead Redemption.

Give them all the support they need from Sony Visual Arts Group and Sony Malaysia.

I'd be more than fine if this game comes out in 2027 or 2028 as long as it isn't a reskin of Ghost 1. I think one of the biggest enhancements they need to make is to the NPC AI giving the world some more life.

Luipadre

Gold Member
I really hope Sucker Punch takes their time with Ghost of Tsushima 2. I know a lot of people are hoping we'll see a teaser or trailer along with the PS5 Pro reveal, but I'm hoping the game is much further out than that.

I really don't want just more of the same with Ghost 2, I think Sucker Punch has somewhat of an opportunity to take this franchise to the next level similar to Rockstar taking Red Dead Redemption 2 to the next level after Red Dead Redemption.

Give them all the support they need from Sony Visual Arts Group and Sony Malaysia.

I'd be more than fine if this game comes out in 2027 or 2028 as long as it isn't a reskin of Ghost 1. I think one of the biggest enhancements they need to make is to the NPC AI giving the world some more life.
Did you not play the recent sony 1st party sequels? It will be just like that with hopefully some much needed improvements

vivftp

Why are you assuming that a 5+ year dev time (we don't know when pre-production began) would result in a lazy reskin job? Absolutely no reason to think that's the case and that the only way to get a notable leap in the sequel is by going 7-8 years of dev time.

What a strange and pointless thread.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Did you not play the recent sony 1st party sequels? It will be just like that with hopefully some much needed improvements

I'm not so sure this will be the case, at least I hope it isn't.

So many of those games began development on PS4... There is no chance Tsushima 2 would have started on PS4. You can even see the difference in Forbidden West vs Burning Shores.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Why are you assuming that a 5+ year dev time (we don't know when pre-production began) would result in a lazy reskin job? Absolutely no reason to think that's the case and that the only way to get a notable leap in the sequel is by going 7-8 years of dev time.

What a strange and pointless thread.

Yeah because we don't have any precedence for that with God of War, Horizon, and Spider-Man?

vivftp

Yeah because we don't have any precedence for that with God of War, Horizon, and Spider-Man?

God of War Ragnarok was supposed to be a 3 year dev cycle (extended to 4 due to the pandemic and Chris Judge's surgeries) and was the second part of a saga, so making huge transformative leaps wouldn't have made much sense. Despite that it was a considerably bigger game that made large leaps in the areas of world building, side quests, exploration and combat.

Spider-Man 2 took 5 years and was a notable leap in tech and scale.

You've provided no reason to believe that 5+ years is insufficient for a sequel to have a notable leap over the previous title. In the end the devs will make the game they want to make. If they want to make an iterative sequel then they'll do it. If they want to make a transformative sequel then they'll do it. 7 or 8+ years of dev time is not necessary for either, so again, pointless thread. That's about how long it took them to come up with and release Ghost of Tsushima in the first place!

SJRB

Gold Member
The hottest of takes: I want Sucker Punch's next game be set in another historical setting. Like the Crusades. I wanna play as a crusader, slaying infidels.

GHOST OF JERUSALEM

T4keD0wN

Just finished it yesterday, its as close to perfect as it gets for a standalone game.

I dont see how its possible to even make a game called Ghost of Tsushima 2, there is no story left to tell, but id like to see a completely separate Ghost of *insert location name

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Completely agree OP, so tired of sequels just being more of the same. Especially when they just reset you and have you relearn all the shit you knew in the first one...

I totally get that we're at the point where a traditional generation is probably two systems now rather than 1, but the leap I want between games is more akin to what Naughty Dog did with The Last of Us 2 (7 years). The game truly felt next gen and completely blew the first game out of the water from a gameplay and graphics perspective.

God of War 2018 completely shits on God of War 3 (8 years).

Horizon Zero Dawn took 6 years to develop with development starting after Killzone 3 rather than Killzone Shadow Fall.

I want generational sequels to big AAA games, not games that feel like they could have been DLC. That jump from Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear Solid 2, Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 4. I think the jumps are still possible albeit difficult and time consuming.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Why this franchise specifically?

The hottest of takes: I want Sucker Punch's next game be set in another historical setting. Like the Crusades. I wanna play as a crusader, slaying infidels.
Did you see the game that was supposed to be made instead of GoT. It had more of a medieval theme and looked really cool.

My hottest take is that I want GoT 2 to take place in Impreial Japan during WW2. And you play as Jin's ancestor with an Arisaka and a Bayonet. This time you play as a villain that has to choose either staying honorable to his own nation or dishonorably fight against it by secretly helping the Americans. "Ghost of Okinawa" or "Ghost of Iwo Jima".

Hudo

GHOST OF JERUSALEM

Hell, yeah!

Did you see the game that was supposed to be made instead of GoT. It had more of a medieval theme and looked really cool.

My hottest take is that I want GoT 2 to take place in Impreial Japan during WW2. And you play as Jin's ancestor with an Arisaka and a Bayonet. This time you play as a villain that has to choose either staying honorable to his own nation or dishonorably fight against it by secretly helping the Americans. "Ghost of Okinawa" or "Ghost of Iwo Jima".
I didn't know that GoT was supposed to be something else. Interesting! But your idea bout GoT 2 being set during WW2 is also something that sounds cool as fuck.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
God of War Ragnarok was supposed to be a 3 year dev cycle (extended to 4 due to the pandemic and Chris Judge's surgeries) and was the second part of a saga, so making huge transformative leaps wouldn't have made much sense. Despite that it was a considerably bigger game that made large leaps in the areas of world building, side quests, exploration and combat.

God of War 3 is part of the same saga as God of War 1 and 2. It was a huge transformative leap.

Spider-Man 2 took 5 years and was a notable leap in tech and scale.

Spider-Man 2 is not a notable leap and in many ways was a step backwards, especially in terms of story telling and pace. With significantly worse side quests, which is saying something since Spider-Man 1 had you chasing pidgeons and collecting smog samples. Combat also takes a step backward. There is no sense of exploration either.

You've provided no reason to believe that 5+ years is insufficient for a sequel to have a notable leap over the previous title. In the end the devs will make the game they want to make. If they want to make an iterative sequel then they'll do it. If they want to make a transformative sequel then they'll do it. 7 or 8+ years of dev time is not necessary for either, so again, pointless thread. That's about how long it took them to come up with and release Ghost of Tsushima in the first place!

I have, you're just ignoring reality because you don't agree. If you don't realize that making a transformative sequel requires more time and resources, not sure what to tell you.

Dazraell

Just finished it yesterday, its as close to perfect as it gets for a standalone game.

I dont see how its possible to even make a game called Ghost of Tsushima 2, the story felt complete, but id like to see Ghost of *insert any other location
Well, Ghost of Tsushima refers to Jin's mantle he takes over the course of this game, not a location per se. Theoretically the sequel could be set outside of Tsushima island and still retain that title. As for the story, the way it ended they can definitely follow up on the repercussions of Jin's actions and use them as a way to take his story to a very different region

Ghost of Iwo Jima goes hard as fuck for a title

vivftp

God of War 3 is part of the same saga as God of War 1 and 2. It was a huge transformative leap.

Spider-Man 2 is not a notable leap and in many ways was a step backwards, especially in terms of story telling and pace. With significantly worse side quests, which is saying something since Spider-Man 1 had you chasing pidgeons and collecting smog samples. Combat also takes a step backward. There is no sense of exploration either.

I have, you're just ignoring reality because you don't agree. If you don't realize that making a transformative sequel requires more time and resources, not sure what to tell you.

In another post you referenced TLOU Part 2 (7 years) as the sort of leap you want. You do realize that dev of Part 2 was put on hold for many years while they had to take over Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, right? TLOU Part 2 did not NEED 7 years to achieve what it did, it took 7 years because the devs had to take over another big project in the meantime.

Ghost of Tsushima 2 will be built from the ground up for the PS5 and its capabilities and will have 5+ years of dev time. That is ample time for a transformative sort of sequel, whether you want to admit it or not.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
In another post you referenced TLOU Part 2 (7 years) as the sort of leap you want. You do realize that dev of Part 2 was put on hold for many years while they had to take over Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, right? TLOU Part 2 did not NEED 7 years to achieve what it did, it took 7 years because the devs had to take over another big project in the meantime.

Ghost of Tsushima 2 will be built from the ground up for the PS5 and its capabilities and will have 5+ years of dev time. That is ample time for a transformative sort of sequel, whether you want to admit it or not.

Please cite a source that TLOU2 was put on hold and no work took place on it. It sounds like you're conflating Straley and Druckman's work on Uncharted with the rest of the team's work on TLOU. So will be very interested to see your source here.

Trilobit

I'd wager that it comes out next year or early 2026. They've probably been working on it for five years by then.

But I agree with your point. While I really liked Ghost of Tsushima and thought it had a great combat system in combination with gorgeous graphics there's so much room for improvement. For one the world and traversing felt very static, the fact that when you kicked someone towards a cliff and they stopped by an invisible wall was pretty lame. Having that bird appear whenever you just wanted to explore was a bit silly. I couldn't find how to turn it off. The missions were insanely repetetive and only in the DLC did they become more varied and fun. GoT felt like Sucker Punch learning the ropes and Iki Island was their true capability. I mean Sly Cooper 2 and 3 had very varied missions and minigames so they clearly have the chops for it.

With this kind of open world and story I felt it was very unfortunate that it wasn't possible to sleep or eat. I don't need them to make those important, but I'd like to just be able to set up a camp or get a room in an inn when I'm done playing for the day. Eating is also a very big thing for Japanese people so having the main character barely eating, drinking or anything like that in the cut scenes was a bit boring. Let us buy some noodles in GoT 2, I had so much "money" in the end. but nothing to spend them on.

I hope they have much better side characters in the next game too. I actually somewhat hated Lady Masako in the end and it was very strange to have a 70-year old grandma acting like a testosterone-filled 18-year old. The only characters that worked besides Jin was Lord Shimura and Khan. But in the end I played the game over 100 hours and had a blast, but I really hope they step it up with GoT2 now that they've laid the groundwork.

St4BFCd.png

Last edited:

midnightAI

Hotter take: Leave it be.

In all fairness I haven’t finished it yet, but unless it ends on a cliffhanger - leave it be. Go do a great Infamous game with what you’ve learned with GoT.
Don’t do sequels just for the sake of doing sequels.
You want them to stop development on it? (its already happening)

I really don't want just more of the same with Ghost 2, I think Sucker Punch has somewhat of an opportunity to take this franchise to the next level similar to Rockstar taking Red Dead Redemption 2 to the next level after Red Dead Redemption...
i played/completed tsushima, &, unlike red dead redemption, or even infamous, for that matter, there's just really nothing there to be taken to 'the next level', imo...

vivftp

Please cite a source that TLOU2 was put on hold and no work took place on it. It sounds like you're conflating Straley and Druckman's work on Uncharted with the rest of the team's work on TLOU. So will be very interested to see your source here.

It was from the Grounded 2 documentary

Unfortunately, this was around the same time Uncharted 4 needed "all hands on deck," according to Druckmann. Lead game designer Emilia Schatz says that Naughty Dog doesn't make multiple games at once - it works entirely on one game, then moves onto another once it's wrapped up. Schatz recalls how, when Uncharted 4 was coming "down to the wire," practically everyone at the studio pivoted to working on the Nathan Drake-led game to get it finished.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
i played/completed tsushima, &, unlike red dead redemption, or even infamous, for that matter, there's just really nothing there to be taken to 'the next level', imo...

The world felt very hollow and shallow. Most of the villages were copy and paste jobs and the villagers themselves were entirely unmemorable.

There are a lot of things you can do to make the gameplay feel tighter and more fluid. Creating more variety in enemy types would be great too. Rather than just making it rock paper scissors, give enemies multiple attacking styles for example rather, hey this guy is a bruiser, and this is how you beat him.

You can make the world more livable as well. All Jin does in the first game is go to hot springs and pet foxes.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It was from the Grounded 2 documentary

Unfortunately, this was around the same time Uncharted 4 needed "all hands on deck," according to Druckmann. Lead game designer Emilia Schatz says that Naughty Dog doesn't make multiple games at once - it works entirely on one game, then moves onto another once it's wrapped up. Schatz recalls how, when Uncharted 4 was coming "down to the wire," practically everyone at the studio pivoted to working on the Nathan Drake-led game to get it finished.

Not only is this entirely vague, but it also ignores that Uncharted 4 was already pushing towards being a generational leap from Uncharted 3 and I'm sure a lot of the tech made for Uncharted 4 helped push the envelope for TLOU2.

vivftp

Not only is this entirely vague, but it also ignores that Uncharted 4 was already pushing towards being a generational leap from Uncharted 3 and I'm sure a lot of the tech made for Uncharted 4 helped push the envelope for TLOU2.

UC4 being an all hands on deck situation is not vague, but believe what you want. We have ND themselves stating what happened. Of course they build upon previous titles to refine their tech and whatnot, but the point is that TLOU Part 2 wasn't in dev for 7 straight years.

And again we don't know when GoT2 began its pre-production. Many studios will begin pre-production of their next title before they ship the currently developed game, so for all we know GoT2 has been in development in some way, shape or form for even longer.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
UC4 being an all hands on deck situation is not vague, but believe what you want. We have ND themselves stating what happened. Of course they build upon previous titles to refine their tech and whatnot, but the point is that TLOU Part 2 wasn't in dev for 7 straight years.

And again we don't know when GoT2 began its pre-production. Many studios will begin pre-production of their next title before they ship the currently developed game, so for all we know GoT2 has been in development in some way, shape or form for even longer.

You said it was put on hold for "many years" and there is no evidence of that in this article or in the video. They said that when uncharted 4 was coming down to the wire, it was all hands on deck. They don't specify a time period at all here.

All things being even, we've seen how long it generally takes to make transformative titles. If you're going to assume GoT2 was in pre-production before GoT released, we'd have to make the same assumptions about God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West, neither of which were transformative sequels.

vivftp

You said it was put on hold for "many years" and there is no evidence of that in this article or in the video. They said that when uncharted 4 was coming down to the wire, it was all hands on deck. They don't specify a time period at all here.

All things being even, we've seen how long it generally takes to make transformative titles. If you're going to assume GoT2 was in pre-production before GoT released, we'd have to make the same assumptions about God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West, neither of which were transformative sequels.

Well then you continue to wring your hands about GoT2 then and worry that it won't be enough of a leap.

Good day.

Fbh

Gold Member
As someone who thought the first one was good but not great, I do hope the sequel is a major improvement and doesn't follow the recent Sony trend of basically being more of the same with better graphics.
If it takes a few extra years to do so then so be it.

Really? I thought the game was quite average in many areas.
Boring exploration, boring side quests, boring traversal, fairly low enemy variety with forgettable bosses too, beautiful but static world that doesn't feel reactive, highly dependant on repetitive "activities", no interesting places to go.

Aside from better art direction, a more interesting main story and marginally better combat it was a fairly generic Ubisoft type game with the same issues. I'd even argue Ubisoft does a few things better (personally I thought the sidequests in, say, AC Odyssey were quite a bit more fun and varied than Tsushima)

I would be ok with no new games for 2 years to catch-up to be honest. I have too much to finish at this point.

I came in here to say exactly this. There's been so many games it's kind of working out for me. Like Remnant 2 has been on my list for a while now. I loved the first game and now it's coming to PS+ so now I get it for free.

Fess

Hot take. They should release Ghost 2 and all the other big upcoming 1st party games on PS6.
Letting OG PS5 hold things back on games that takes 5+ years to make is dumb when we’re at the second half of the generation, just means those devs won’t have anything ready for PS6 until mid gen.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Hot take. They should release Ghost 2 and all the other big upcoming 1st party games on PS6.
Letting OG PS5 hold things back on games that takes 5+ years to make is dumb when we’re at the second half of the generation, just means those devs won’t have anything ready for PS6 until mid gen.

I guess the question there has to be hold it back in what way?

If it comes down to AI and other CPU intensive elements maybe, but other than that I'm not sure I see it.

It could potentially be a very long time til PS6. We could be looking at 2030 for all we know.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The first one is literally an Assassin's Creed in Japan

Same bloated map, same repetitive quests/activities, same bandit camps to take out...

Its half as bloated as an AC game, there are no repetitive side quests and ill give you the bandit camps, however all of that is a good bloat.

The world felt very hollow and shallow. Most of the villages were copy and paste jobs and the villagers themselves were entirely unmemorable.

There are a lot of things you can do to make the gameplay feel tighter and more fluid. Creating more variety in enemy types would be great too. Rather than just making it rock paper scissors, give enemies multiple attacking styles for example rather, hey this guy is a bruiser, and this is how you beat him.

You can make the world more livable as well. All Jin does in the first game is go to hot springs and pet foxes.
so, something more like rise of the ronin?...

the thing is, the red dead redemption series exists in a vacuum - there are no other semi-open/open-world cowboy games. add to this the fact that john marston is an extremely memorable/likable character, with a very interesting back story open to further exploration, & you've got a franchise that offers all kinds of possibilities in a game world unlike any other...

whereas tsushima's one of 3 big samurai games released in the last 5 years, the third being sekiro, with it's most distinguishing feature being the aspects that eventually make it 'hollow & shallow': its dry, stoic protagonist, its quaint villages, & its 'nature walk' style meandering serenity & sense of isolation. i'm not really sure that transplanting jin into a more elaborate environment would really accomplish anything that simply going with a brand new game couldn't...

Last edited:
i really loved the first game. The second one at the earliest will come out next year, that’s five years of production. So whatever they have cooking I’m sure it’s going to be worth it. I don’t think it’s too soon for the game to be released either.

I know people try comparing it to Assassins Creed but SP did a good a job at making the game seem distinct both in terms of story, gameplay and characters. I personally loved the moral dilemma it presented, what lines are we willing to cross in the face of death, what pillars are we willing to compromise but as Sensei Ishikawa puts it one way or another “we’re all killers”.

Top Bottom