• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you hold your handheld?

How?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Everyone is enjoying these huge handheld consoles, but even the Switch tires me out after a while (I hold it on my belly while lying down). Do you have any tips for using such heavy handheld consoles(besides gym)? How do you hold your handheld?

ssringo

The handheld that doesn't become uncomfortable to hold after 15-30 minutes hasn't been invented. Or it's weight hasn't been brought down enough. Whichever.

Regardless, all of the above is my answer. I'll start off just holding it, then on my lap, up to my belly, then on the table after I completely change positions. Live, die, repeat.

I also have great posture.

0ZDPMHj.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never understood the weight issue with these things. Not sure if people never touched a weight or maybe it's just my chronic masturbation, but holding any of these things for a long period of time has never been an issue.

Holding it like a book has been the most comfortable sitting or standing. Laying down just feels terrible in every position.

SyberWolf

docked with a pro controller 99% of the time, i realy dont like playing in portable mode unless i am on a plane or something. but to be on topic, i play in portable mode probably with my arms resting on a table or on my lap.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Usually on a pillow while I lay back on the couch.

jm89

Only comfortable position I found is lean on a pillow and infront of my eyes. Need two extra pillows so I can rest my elbows on top of.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Actually can I hijack this thread to ask a question to the other aging millennials here?

Do your hands ever cramp up from holding handhelds above you while you lay down? Specifically the area around your thumb, and between the thumb and pointer finger?

I find that after 10-15 minutes, my hands really start cramping up, especially if I’m laying down and have the handheld in front of me near my chest/stomach. I’ve been trying to replay Metroid Prime Hunters, and holding that handheld along with the stylus is just an absolute nightmare on my hands. It never used to be like this. 😭

cormack12

Gold Member
Actually can I hijack this thread to ask a question to the other aging millennials here?

Do your hands ever cramp up from holding handhelds above you while you lay down? Specifically the area around your thumb, and between the thumb and pointer finger?

I find that after 10-15 minutes, my hands really start cramping up, especially if I’m laying down and have the handheld in front of me near my chest/stomach. I’ve been trying to replay Metroid Prime Hunters, and holding that handheld along with the stylus is just an absolute nightmare on my hands. It never used to be like this. 😭
Yes! More towards the thumb.

Dacvak

Yes! More towards the thumb.
Yep. Exactly that. I’m only in my 30s and it feels like I’m gonna need some kind of surgery in the next few years. 😭

Hrk69

Gold Member

That sucks! I've been blessed with hands that can game for hours without issues. Been doing so for 20+ years.

Plus, I'm a big dude with enormous hands, guess I'm lucky!

Ev1L AuRoN

On my belly when I'm laying down, in the air when I'm no a go, on a table when one is available.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Usually play handhelds in bed so just in the air in front of me, after I get tired I put up my feet and prop a pillow against my legs then just rest the handheld on the pillow.

Sleepwalker

My forearms and wrists go numb and basically die if I play the switch too much and I dont have a grip for it.

ssringo

I Dont Want To No Way GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

------------

Not just directed at you but as it was also mentioned by lughnasadh123 lughnasadh123 (and you can never be fully sure who's just clowning and who's serious) I want to point out that the weight is part of the ergonomics. For example the Deck weighs ~1.5lbs which isn't actually heavy but it does weigh ~2 times more than the Dualsense (~0.7lbs) which will put a bit more pressure on finger joints (arthritis sucks) from holding the system in a way to see the screen all while pressing buttons.

I Dont Want To No Way GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

------------

Not just directed at you but as it was also mentioned by lughnasadh123 lughnasadh123 (and you can never be fully sure who's just clowning and who's serious) I want to point out that the weight is part of the ergonomics. For example the Deck weighs ~1.5lbs which isn't actually heavy but it does weigh ~2 times more than the Dualsense (~0.7lbs) which will put a bit more pressure on finger joints (arthritis sucks) from holding the system in a way to see the screen all while pressing button
Regarding weight I'm dead serious, I just can't understand how anyone remotely healthy has a hard time holding up any handheld/portable device. Hell even a lap top is more than doable.

Having a medical issue is something entirely different that has my sympathy. My grandmother had Rheumatoid arthritis. My dad had lesser, but still painful issues himself. It's no joke.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Usually I'm in bed on my stomach propped up with a pillows under my chest and my elbows down Steamdeck in hands.
If I'm in my rocker recliner I use the arm rests to support my arms.

ssringo

Regarding weight I'm dead serious, I just can't understand how anyone remotely healthy has a hard time holding up any handheld/portable device. Hell even a lap top is more than doable.

Having a medical issue is something entirely different that has my sympathy. My grandmother had Rheumatoid arthritis. My dad had lesser, but still painful issues himself. It's no joke.
It's not "hard" it just becomes uncomfortable and I don't think health or fitness has anything to do with it; though it certainly could be a contributing factor for some. Even in my prime with no (apparent) medical issues playing a handheld system became uncomfortable after a period of time.

In fact if you look at the picture in post #5 I can point to where a problem lies for my hands. Look at where the ring finger is positioned on the back of the system to help support it. The weight of the system combined with button presses causes that last joint to bend inwards with a similar thing happening with my pinky. And being focused on the game I won't notice because it doesn't immediately feel wrong. It's not a problem for a small amount of time but after a bit it will ache and I need to readjust, stretch fingers, etc. I've always had this issue with handhelds and even the flat controllers from back in the earlier days of gaming.

Muffdraul

I almost never play handhelds. I played my Switch undocked on launch day for about 15 minutes and I've only played it docked since. Yet I've always owned most of the handhelds, all of Nintendo's, a PSP, a Vita... Last time I played a handheld was probably Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon right after I beat Luigi's Mansion 3... what, five years ago?

Anyway I never even thought about it before... I guess I hold them in the air in front of me. I have to hold them kinda close because my eyes are going. I'm near sighted and I used to be able to see clearly like two millimeters in front of my eyes, but those days are long gone.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hands in front of me but I use my elbows to support.

I'm playing Ocarina of Time 3D right now. On my way for the fire temple 🛕

It's not "hard" it just becomes uncomfortable and I don't think health or fitness has anything to do with it; though it certainly could be a contributing factor for some. Even in my prime with no (apparent) medical issues playing a handheld system became uncomfortable after a period of time.

In fact if you look at the picture in post #5 I can point to where a problem lies for my hands. Look at where the ring finger is positioned on the back of the system to help support it. The weight of the system combined with button presses causes that last joint to bend inwards with a similar thing happening with my pinky. And being focused on the game I won't notice because it doesn't immediately feel wrong. It's not a problem for a small amount of time but after a bit it will ache and I need to readjust, stretch fingers, etc. I've always had this issue with handhelds and even the flat controllers from back in the earlier days of gaming.
And that's fine as we're all built, and hold things, differently but that goes beyond what I was talking about. Even the former point is highlighted when the Dualsense just came out where some find it comfortable and others didn't. For me, holding the Switch lite raw is more on the uncomfortable side due to how small and flat it is, so I do get what you're saying to some degree.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Many people have chosen the option 'in the air, in front of my eyes'. When I play like this, I get tired after 30 minutes. I expected more people to choose 'on a table' or 'on my lap,' otherwise, I thought it wouldn't be playable for long periods. It's probably just me then.

If I don't play on my belly, I also use two pillows to raise my elbows, and I put a larger pillow on my lap and place the Switch on top of it. There you go, a fantastic portable setup lol.

Top Bottom